Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Parsnip question

  1. #1
    Mike Guest

    Default Parsnip question

    Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    or white rice.
    From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?



  2. #2
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:0o0Kl.3487$[email protected]..
    > Parsnips are high in food energy but don't seem to be starchy like
    > potatoes
    > or white rice.
    > From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?
    >

    They're related to carrots, not potatoes.

    Jill



  3. #3
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    In article <0o0Kl.3487$[email protected]>,
    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    > or white rice.
    > From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?


    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

    Parsnips, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt

    water 80%
    carbs 17%

    of the carbs, 5% (of total weight) is sugar

    The scary thing is, from memory, the glycemic index of cooked parsnips
    is 92. That means, as far as spiking your sugar, you would be better
    off putting a funnel in your mouth and pouring sugar in it!

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question


    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > In article <0o0Kl.3487$[email protected]>,
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Parsnips are high in food energy but don't seem to be starchy like
    >> potatoes
    >> or white rice.
    >> From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?

    >
    > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
    >
    > Parsnips, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
    >
    > water 80%
    > carbs 17%
    >
    > of the carbs, 5% (of total weight) is sugar
    >
    > The scary thing is, from memory, the glycemic index of cooked parsnips
    > is 92. That means, as far as spiking your sugar, you would be better
    > off putting a funnel in your mouth and pouring sugar in it!



    You can make a dandy wine from parsnips, too.

    Paul



  5. #5
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    "Mike" <M...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    > or white rice.


    Parsnips are starchy, just not as starchy as them.

    > From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?


    Parsnip calories are mostly from starch. Their level of starch is
    in the same category as rutabagas and other root veggies.

  6. #6
    Default User Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    Dan Abel wrote:


    > The scary thing is, from memory, the glycemic index of cooked
    > parsnips is 92. That means, as far as spiking your sugar, you would
    > be better off putting a funnel in your mouth and pouring sugar in it!


    I don't know much about this topic, but this was interesting:

    <http://www.geometer.org/CaveManDiet/GlycemicIndex.html>




    Brian

    --
    Day 86 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

  7. #7
    bob Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:46:36 GMT, "Mike" <[email protected]> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    >or white rice.
    >From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?


    Root vegetables from hell? I cannot stand the bloody things and it
    makes me cringe even to think about them ...


    --

    una cerveza mas por favor ...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

  8. #8
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Apr 29, 7:27*pm, bob <aka...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:46:36 GMT, "Mike" <M...@verizon.net> shouted from
    > the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    > >or white rice.
    > >From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?

    >
    > Root vegetables from hell? I cannot stand the bloody things and it
    > makes me cringe even to think about them ...
    >
    > --
    >
    > una cerveza mas por favor ...
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~


    Parsnips are my absolute favorite vegetable. I eat 'em for dessert.
    With butter.
    Lynn in Fargo

  9. #9
    bob Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 05:09:11 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
    <[email protected]> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Apr 29, 7:27*pm, bob <aka...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:46:36 GMT, "Mike" <M...@verizon.net> shouted from
    >> the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >> >Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    >> >or white rice.
    >> >From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?

    >>
    >> Root vegetables from hell? I cannot stand the bloody things and it
    >> makes me cringe even to think about them ...
    >>

    >Parsnips are my absolute favorite vegetable. I eat 'em for dessert.
    >With butter.
    >Lynn in Fargo


    You'd think I'd know the difference by now after all these years. I'm
    STILL confusing parsnips with turnips. It's turnips I hate.


    --

    una cerveza mas por favor ...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

  10. #10
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    bob wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 05:09:11 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
    > <[email protected]> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> On Apr 29, 7:27 pm, bob <aka...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:46:36 GMT, "Mike" <M...@verizon.net> shouted from
    >>> the highest rooftop:
    >>>
    >>>> Parsnips are high in food energy but donít seem to be starchy like potatoes
    >>>> or white rice.
    >>> >From what category do Parsnips derive nutrition and calories?
    >>>
    >>> Root vegetables from hell? I cannot stand the bloody things and it
    >>> makes me cringe even to think about them ...
    >>>

    >> Parsnips are my absolute favorite vegetable. I eat 'em for dessert.
    >> With butter.
    >> Lynn in Fargo

    >
    > You'd think I'd know the difference by now after all these years. I'm
    > STILL confusing parsnips with turnips. It's turnips I hate.
    >
    >

    I agree re the turnips.

    --
    Jean B.

  11. #11
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Sat, 02 May 2009 13:53:20 +1200, bob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You'd think I'd know the difference by now after all these years. I'm
    >STILL confusing parsnips with turnips. It's turnips I hate.


    Parsnips look like big white carrots. Turnips are those round things
    that are white on the bottom and purple on top.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  12. #12
    bob Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Fri, 01 May 2009 21:12:09 -0700, sf <[email protected]> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >On Sat, 02 May 2009 13:53:20 +1200, bob <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You'd think I'd know the difference by now after all these years. I'm
    >>STILL confusing parsnips with turnips. It's turnips I hate.

    >
    >Parsnips look like big white carrots. Turnips are those round things
    >that are white on the bottom and purple on top.


    Stop confusing me with facts ...


    --

    una cerveza mas por favor ...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Parsnip question

    On Sat, 02 May 2009 16:46:32 +1200, bob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 May 2009 21:12:09 -0700, sf <[email protected]> shouted from
    >the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On Sat, 02 May 2009 13:53:20 +1200, bob <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>You'd think I'd know the difference by now after all these years. I'm
    >>>STILL confusing parsnips with turnips. It's turnips I hate.

    >>
    >>Parsnips look like big white carrots. Turnips are those round things
    >>that are white on the bottom and purple on top.

    >
    >Stop confusing me with facts ...


    LOL!

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32