Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: OT: Zillow screwed up

  1. #1
    Bryan Guest

    Default OT: Zillow screwed up

    Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/

    --Bryan

  2. #2
    Pennyaline Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On 3/13/2012 3:30 PM, Bryan wrote:
    > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/



    Hey, only $27K a square foot. Act now, cuz this one won't last long!


  3. #3
    Bull Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    In article
    <33026431.805.1331674210745.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbhz5>,
    Bryan <bryangsim[email protected]> wrote:

    > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've
    > never seen one THIS wrong:
    > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77...ghts-MO-63117/
    > 2769259_zpid/
    >
    > --Bryan


    Thats a good one! Zillow is very unreliable. Their Zestimate is a
    guestimate. They have some real data and guess at the rest and plug it
    into their ****ty proprietary formula. You can't determine the value of
    a home by the value of the one across the street unless youre talking
    mobile home.

    BULL

  4. #4
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:54:47 -0600, Pennyaline
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 3/13/2012 3:30 PM, Bryan wrote:
    >> Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    >> http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/

    >
    >
    >Hey, only $27K a square foot. Act now, cuz this one won't last long!



    Check the house next door. It is valued at $1million. Others vary in
    the mid 130's to the 230's on St. Albans St.

  5. #5
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:02:19 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:54:47 -0600, Pennyaline
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On 3/13/2012 3:30 PM, Bryan wrote:
    > >> Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > >> http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/

    > >
    > >
    > >Hey, only $27K a square foot. Act now, cuz this one won't last long!

    >
    >
    > Check the house next door. It is valued at $1million. Others vary in
    > the mid 130's to the 230's on St. Albans St.


    The one next door isn't valued at a million. That's the "Make Me Move" price. It's a joke, because 7719 isn't even worth $100,000, though it did *appraise for* $103,000 less than 3 years ago.

    --Bryan

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/
    >
    > --Bryan


    I don't get it. My experience with Zillow is they are dead on. I
    have no idea how much home values in Mo have dropped in the last year;
    so what do you think it should have said?

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  7. #7
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:23:22 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/
    > >
    > > --Bryan

    >
    > I don't get it. My experience with Zillow is they are dead on. I
    > have no idea how much home values in Mo have dropped in the last year;
    > so what do you think it should have said?
    >

    The actual value is probably $135K-$150K. Certainly not 43 million.
    Zillow has the little house next door valued at $113,300, and I doubt that anyone would pay $100K for it, but overvaluing by 20% is a lot different than saying a house is worth over 300 times what it really is. The email said, "Your Zestimate has increased 26634.0%."

    --Bryan

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:04:40 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:23:22 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
    > > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > > > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/
    > > >
    > > > --Bryan

    > >
    > > I don't get it. My experience with Zillow is they are dead on. I
    > > have no idea how much home values in Mo have dropped in the last year;
    > > so what do you think it should have said?
    > >

    > The actual value is probably $135K-$150K. Certainly not 43 million.
    > Zillow has the little house next door valued at $113,300, and I doubt that anyone would pay $100K for it, but overvaluing by 20% is a lot different than saying a house is worth over 300 times what it really is. The email said, "Your Zestimate has increased 26634.0%."
    >


    No comment about Zillow, but it looks like that house is over-built
    for the neighborhood - which is not a good thing.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  9. #9
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    sf wrote:
    > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    >> http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/

    >
    > I don't get it. My experience with Zillow is they are dead on.


    Zillow is a site for consumers so the price estimates are deliberately
    inflated a bit. In a rising market it wasn't an inaccurate model. In a
    falling market it is a feel good model that runs higher than the offers
    you'll get.

  10. #10
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up


    "Bull" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > In article
    > <33026431.805.1331674210745.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbhz5>,
    > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but
    >> I've
    >> never seen one THIS wrong:
    >> http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77...ghts-MO-63117/
    >> 2769259_zpid/
    >>
    >> --Bryan

    >
    > Thats a good one! Zillow is very unreliable. Their Zestimate is a
    > guestimate. They have some real data and guess at the rest and plug it
    > into their ****ty proprietary formula. You can't determine the value of
    > a home by the value of the one across the street unless youre talking
    > mobile home.
    >
    > BULL


    That might even be difficult with some mobile homes. Heheh. Where I live,
    the house across the street, and both houses next door all have kitchen and
    bathroom upgrades. I certainly understand my house is not valued at
    anything near those houses. I wouldn't care unless I were trying to sell
    the place. I keep the exterior and lawn well maintained. Lots of curb
    appeal (the azalea bushes are all blooming right now, it's glorious!).
    People who have never been *in* my house can't tell from the outside it
    doesn't have all the HGTV bells and whistles on the inside

    Jill


  11. #11
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:13:23 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:04:40 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:23:22 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
    > > > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    > > >
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but I've never seen one THIS wrong:
    > > > > http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77.../2769259_zpid/
    > > > >
    > > > > --Bryan
    > > >
    > > > I don't get it. My experience with Zillow is they are dead on. I
    > > > have no idea how much home values in Mo have dropped in the last year;
    > > > so what do you think it should have said?
    > > >

    > > The actual value is probably $135K-$150K. Certainly not 43 million.
    > > Zillow has the little house next door valued at $113,300, and I doubt that anyone would pay $100K for it, but overvaluing by 20% is a lot different than saying a house is worth over 300 times what it really is. The emailsaid, "Your Zestimate has increased 26634.0%."
    > >

    >
    > No comment about Zillow, but it looks like that house is over-built
    > for the neighborhood - which is not a good thing.
    >

    The only one that is over-built is the newly built one at 7720. 7717 was built in 1925, 7719 in 1911. I should get a plaque made for the little house since it's over a hundred years old.

    --Bryan

  12. #12
    Bull Guest

    Default Re: OT: Zillow screwed up

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Bull" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > In article
    > > <33026431.805.1331674210745.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbhz5>,
    > > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Many of us know that Zillow often gets the value of houses wrong, but
    > >> I've
    > >> never seen one THIS wrong:
    > >> http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/77...Heights-MO-631
    > >> 17/
    > >> 2769259_zpid/
    > >>
    > >> --Bryan

    > >
    > > Thats a good one! Zillow is very unreliable. Their Zestimate is a
    > > guestimate. They have some real data and guess at the rest and plug it
    > > into their ****ty proprietary formula. You can't determine the value of
    > > a home by the value of the one across the street unless youre talking
    > > mobile home.
    > >
    > > BULL

    >
    > That might even be difficult with some mobile homes. Heheh. Where I live,
    > the house across the street, and both houses next door all have kitchen and
    > bathroom upgrades. I certainly understand my house is not valued at
    > anything near those houses. I wouldn't care unless I were trying to sell
    > the place. I keep the exterior and lawn well maintained. Lots of curb
    > appeal (the azalea bushes are all blooming right now, it's glorious!).
    > People who have never been *in* my house can't tell from the outside it
    > doesn't have all the HGTV bells and whistles on the inside
    >
    > Jill


    I checked Zillow on a number of properties I'm familiar with including
    my own and every one of them had major errors. Even had the school
    district wrong on one. A nice yard says a lot about an owner. Either
    they are meticulous and love the landscape or hiding something. (:
    Appraisal work is tricky even for the best of 'em. A closed contract is
    the best determination of market value.


    BULL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32