Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

  1. #1
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:

    Hard Wok Buffet

    -S-



  2. #2
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Your Favorite Restaurant Names


    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jfhlpr$hdg$[email protected]..
    >I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've never
    >been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time I pass
    >it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet


    What The Pho and Pho Kim.



  3. #3
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Jan 22, 1:50*pm, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote:
    > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > I pass it. *It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet
    >
    > -S-


    When I was in New Orleans many many years back, in the French Quarter
    there was a Chinese takeout food place called:
    'Takee Outee.'
    Thought it was kind of funny.

  4. #4
    Je▀us Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:50:42 -0500, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    >never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    >I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    >Hard Wok Buffet


    Can't think of any existing ones offhand, but if I were to open a
    small eatery of some kind, I was thinking of 'Nommage'... or maybe
    just 'Nom'. But I'm sure someone else has already thought of that one
    before.

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:08:47 +1100, Je▀us <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:50:42 -0500, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > >never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > >I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    > >
    > >Hard Wok Buffet

    >
    > Can't think of any existing ones offhand, but if I were to open a
    > small eatery of some kind, I was thinking of 'Nommage'... or maybe
    > just 'Nom'. But I'm sure someone else has already thought of that one
    > before.


    There's always the ever popular Phuket Thai.

    --

    Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

  6. #6
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Jan 22, 2:50*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    > "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:jfhlpr$hdg$[email protected]..
    >
    > >I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've never
    > >been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time I pass
    > >it. *It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:

    >
    > > Hard Wok Buffet

    >
    > What The Pho and Pho Kim.


    Fu Yu in High Ridge MO, years ago in the late 1980's. My Ex and I used
    to go there. That's where I learned NOT to eat the red chiles in the
    General Tso's chicken! But they looked so good! ;-)

    John Kuthe...

  7. #7
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:50:42 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >> I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    >> never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every
    >> time I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >>
    >> Hard Wok Buffet

    >
    > One would argue that's a trademark infringement.
    >
    > -sw


    Given that this is in a suburb of NYC (New City, NY - in Rockland
    County) I can't imagine they don't know about it - be interesting if you
    contacted them and reported it.

    -S-



  8. #8
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    In article <jfhlpr$hdg$[email protected]>, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet
    >
    > -S-


    wok and roll in montauk ny

  9. #9
    I'm back on the laptop Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in news:jfhlpr$hdg$1
    @speranza.aioe.org:

    > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet
    >
    > -S-
    >
    >
    >



    What's a wok?? It's something you throw at a wabbit.


    But my favourite restaurant names are King of Kings (Yum Cha), Cha Cha Char
    (Steak, of course!!), The Zen Bar, and Jellyfish restaurants.



    --
    Peter
    Tasmania
    Australia

  10. #10
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names


    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jfhlpr$hdg$[email protected]..
    > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've never
    > been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time I pass
    > it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet
    >
    > -S-
    >
    >

    Johann Sebastian Bagel

    Jill



  11. #11
    Michael OConnor Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    There used to be a place next to the Greyhound bus station in downtown
    Pittsburgh named Al's Terminal Lunch. Never ate there.

    When I lived in Detroit in the mid-90's there was a local chain of
    cafeteria type restaurants that specialized in an open faced freshly
    carved roast beef sandwich; the chain was named Sign of the
    Beefcarver. A Google search showed they are still in business; here
    is a TV ad for it:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJ6w1h1whw

    I used to eat there once a month or so, very good roast beef.

  12. #12
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names


    "Michael OConnor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There used to be a place next to the Greyhound bus station in downtown
    > Pittsburgh named Al's Terminal Lunch. Never ate there.
    >
    > When I lived in Detroit in the mid-90's there was a local chain of
    > cafeteria type restaurants that specialized in an open faced freshly
    > carved roast beef sandwich; the chain was named Sign of the
    > Beefcarver. A Google search showed they are still in business; here
    > is a TV ad for it:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJ6w1h1whw
    >
    > I used to eat there once a month or so, very good roast beef.


    I love cafeterias. Too bad there aren't any around here any more except for
    in hospitals.



  13. #13
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    In article <[email protected]>, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:32:58 -0800, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
    >
    > > wok and roll in montauk ny

    >
    > There's a restaurant by that name in at least 10 states and 20 cites.
    > All unrelated as far as I can tell.
    >
    > We have two in Austin (related) and 1 50 miles south, unrelated.
    >
    > Similar, "How do you Roll" sushi.
    >
    > -sw


    I was thinking of opening a restaurant centered on Pestos of various types. It
    would be called Pestorante

  14. #14
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Jan 22, 8:49*pm, "I'm back on the laptop" <Imb...@home.in.Brisbane>
    wrote:
    > "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in news:jfhlpr$hdg$1
    > @speranza.aioe.org:
    >
    > > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > > never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > > I pass it. *It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:

    >
    > > Hard Wok Buffet

    >
    > > -S-

    >
    > What's a wok?? It's something you throw at a wabbit.
    >
    > But my favourite restaurant names are King of Kings (Yum Cha), Cha Cha Char
    > (Steak, of course!!), The Zen Bar, and Jellyfish restaurants.


    Slightly off to one side, there's a Pizza joint in Berkeley, CA that
    has a Zen pizza. The menu board shows a man sitting cross-legged
    holding a pizza on a tray like an offering. The caption reads, "Make
    me one with everything."

    Jerry
    --
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


  15. #15
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:30:21 -0800 (PST), Jerry Avins <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Slightly off to one side, there's a Pizza joint in Berkeley, CA that
    > has a Zen pizza. The menu board shows a man sitting cross-legged
    > holding a pizza on a tray like an offering. The caption reads, "Make
    > me one with everything."


    LOLOL

    --

    Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:15:07 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:32:58 -0800, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
    >>
    >> > wok and roll in montauk ny

    >>
    >> There's a restaurant by that name in at least 10 states and 20 cites.
    >> All unrelated as far as I can tell.
    >>
    >> We have two in Austin (related) and 1 50 miles south, unrelated.
    >>
    >> Similar, "How do you Roll" sushi.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >I was thinking of opening a restaurant centered on Pestos of various types. It
    >would be called Pestorante


    Pesto is disgusting, you may have my mower clippings.

  17. #17
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > Pesto is disgusting, you may have my mower clippings.


    Entree in a fancy restaurant....3 shrimp on a bed of grass....$15.99



  18. #18
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    Jerry Avins wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 8:49 pm, "I'm back on the laptop" <Imb...@home.in.Brisbane>
    > wrote:
    >> "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in news:jfhlpr$hdg$1
    >> @speranza.aioe.org:
    >>
    >>> I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    >>> never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every
    >>> time I pass it. It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:

    >>
    >>> Hard Wok Buffet

    >>
    >>> -S-

    >>
    >> What's a wok?? It's something you throw at a wabbit.
    >>
    >> But my favourite restaurant names are King of Kings (Yum Cha), Cha
    >> Cha Char (Steak, of course!!), The Zen Bar, and Jellyfish
    >> restaurants.

    >
    > Slightly off to one side, there's a Pizza joint in Berkeley, CA that
    > has a Zen pizza. The menu board shows a man sitting cross-legged
    > holding a pizza on a tray like an offering. The caption reads, "Make
    > me one with everything."
    >
    > Jerry


    I've also heard this as, "What did the Dali Lama say to the hot dog
    vendor?"

    It's great, any which way.

    -S-



  19. #19
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Jan 22, 10:50*am, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote:
    > I drive by this place about once every two months and although I've
    > never been in it, the name brings a smile to my face each and every time
    > I pass it. *It's a Chinese all-you-can-eat place named:
    >
    > Hard Wok Buffet
    >
    > -S-


    these aren't my favorites but they are pretty funny.
    http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2009...ant-names.html

  20. #20
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Your Favorite Restaurant Names

    On Jan 22, 6:13*pm, Michael OConnor <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
    > There used to be a place next to the Greyhound bus station in downtown
    > Pittsburgh named Al's Terminal Lunch. *Never ate there.
    >
    > When I lived in Detroit in the mid-90's there was a local chain of
    > cafeteria type restaurants that specialized in an open faced freshly
    > carved roast beef sandwich; the chain was named Sign of the
    > Beefcarver. *A Google search showed they are still in business; here
    > is a TV ad for it:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJ6w1h1whw
    >
    > I used to eat there once a month or so, very good roast beef.


    They were Sign of the Beefeater till the booze people complained. But
    they didn't copy the yeoman warder image, they used the knife and fork
    guy with the three-corner hat that they still have.

    http://openjurist.org/540/f2d/266/ja...-beefeater-inc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32