Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    Morning news reports that a restaurant's
    computer was hacked into. What is of major
    concern is the hacker supposedly made off with
    credit card numbers. All customers should
    notify the credit card companies about
    potential fraud.

    What's a restaurant doing storing customer
    credit card numbers???

    I thought that info only went as far as the
    card reader service!

    Sketchy on the details. An inside job? Hacked
    over the internet? Why would a restaurant even
    be on the internet? And if so, why no firewall?

    I find it hard to believe the story. Never in
    my life have I heard of this happening.

    What gives a restaurant the right to amass
    credit card numbers? Seems either sinister or
    absurd to me

    It's only a few minutes away. I never ate there
    and as of now, I never will.

    Andy
    ..

  2. #2
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    Andy wrote:

    > What gives a restaurant the right to amass
    > credit card numbers? Seems either sinister or
    > absurd to me
    >
    > It's only a few minutes away. I never ate there
    > and as of now, I never will.


    They'll probably lower their prices because of the scandal, and you
    could always use another form of payment. Unless you're one of those
    people who gets more sustenance from fake outrage than from food.



  3. #3
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Apr 18, 9:39*am, George M. Middius <glanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Andy "The Scavenger" wrote:
    > > What gives a restaurant the right to amass
    > > credit card numbers? Seems either sinister or
    > > absurd to me

    >
    > > It's only a few minutes away. I never ate there
    > > and as of now, I never will.

    >
    > They'll probably lower their prices because of the scandal, and you
    > could always use another form of payment. Unless you're one of those
    > people who gets more sustenance from fake outrage than from food.


    Considering the **** The Scavenger calls food, that'd make sense.

    --Bryan

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:14:19 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Apr 18, 9:39*am, George M. Middius <glanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Andy "The Scavenger" wrote:
    > > > What gives a restaurant the right to amass
    > > > credit card numbers? Seems either sinister or
    > > > absurd to me

    > >
    > > > It's only a few minutes away. I never ate there
    > > > and as of now, I never will.

    > >
    > > They'll probably lower their prices because of the scandal, and you
    > > could always use another form of payment. Unless you're one of those
    > > people who gets more sustenance from fake outrage than from food.

    >
    > Considering the **** The Scavenger calls food, that'd make sense.
    >

    If banks and the military/white house/government can be hacked, I
    don't see why they can't hack into a restaurant site.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  5. #5
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    sf wrote:

    > If banks and the military/white house/government can be hacked, I
    > don't see why they can't hack into a restaurant site.


    That's certainly believable, but Addled does have a point: Why on
    earth is a merchant storing credit card numbers on a hackable computer
    connected to the 'Net?



  6. #6
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:52:06 -0400, George M. Middius wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    >
    >> If banks and the military/white house/government can be hacked, I
    >> don't see why they can't hack into a restaurant site.

    >
    > That's certainly believable, but Addled does have a point: Why on
    > earth is a merchant storing credit card numbers on a hackable computer
    > connected to the 'Net?


    The spyware could be capturing outbound data being transmitted by the
    restaurant to the credit card processing company before it's
    encrypted. They did this to Restaurant Depot late last year. It was
    sending all credit card info offsite to a Russian computer. They
    hacked the software that links the readers to their central CC
    processing computers. Similar schemes have also compromised Subway
    and Lucky grocery stores.

    They are not going to go into that much detail in a news story (not
    that the media would be able to explain it properly anyway).

    Also credit card numbers are required at some restaurants to secure
    reservations. If they don't show up, they charge the card $25 (or
    whatever) as a no-show fee. There's no other way to accomplish that
    without storing the card information until the time of the
    reservation. They could pre-auth the card at the time the reservation
    is made and throw away the card number, but that only works for
    reservations that are taken 6 days or less in advance. And that
    wouldn't go over too well with some customers.

    -sw

  7. #7
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:28:01 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!



    >
    >What's a restaurant doing storing customer
    >credit card numbers???


    They may only transmit once or twice a day to the bank so there would
    be a cache of information.


    >
    >I thought that info only went as far as the
    >card reader service!


    The one connected to the computer?


    >
    >Sketchy on the details. An inside job? Hacked
    >over the internet? Why would a restaurant even
    >be on the internet? And if so, why no firewall?
    >


    Firewalls are hacked every day. As for why they are connected, you've
    got to be kidding. They conduct business that way, as do most
    businesses today.

    Some restaurants take reservations over the internet, some take the
    food orders for take out. Many have their web site to showcase their
    menu. This is the 21st century.

  8. #8
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:28:01 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    >
    >
    >>
    >>What's a restaurant doing storing customer
    >>credit card numbers???

    >
    > They may only transmit once or twice a day to the bank so there would
    > be a cache of information.
    >
    >
    >>
    >>I thought that info only went as far as the
    >>card reader service!

    >
    > The one connected to the computer?
    >
    >
    >>
    >>Sketchy on the details. An inside job? Hacked
    >>over the internet? Why would a restaurant even
    >>be on the internet? And if so, why no firewall?
    >>

    >
    > Firewalls are hacked every day. As for why they are connected, you've
    > got to be kidding. They conduct business that way, as do most
    > businesses today.
    >
    > Some restaurants take reservations over the internet, some take the
    > food orders for take out. Many have their web site to showcase their
    > menu. This is the 21st century.



    Ed,

    Here's a brief in the local Daily Times:

    http://alturl.com/ci6rp

    I've never touched a cash register in my life. I imagined the transaction
    would be as instant as an ATM transaction.

    Andy

  9. #9
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Apr 18, 10:53*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:14:19 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > On Apr 18, 9:39*am, George M. Middius <glanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > > Andy "The Scavenger" wrote:
    > > > > What gives a restaurant the right to amass
    > > > > credit card numbers? Seems either sinister or
    > > > > absurd to me

    >
    > > > > It's only a few minutes away. I never ate there
    > > > > and as of now, I never will.

    >
    > > > They'll probably lower their prices because of the scandal, and you
    > > > could always use another form of payment. Unless you're one of those
    > > > people who gets more sustenance from fake outrage than from food.

    >
    > > Considering the **** The Scavenger calls food, that'd make sense.

    >
    > If banks and the military/white house/government can be hacked, I
    > don't see why they can't hack into a restaurant site.
    >
    > --
    > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.


    Isn't it more likely that the company that services the credit card
    transactions was hacked? That's what happened with the Michaels
    (hobby) chain a year ago.

    N.

  10. #10
    Pennyaline Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On 4/19/2012 3:39 AM, Andy wrote:

    > Here's a brief in the local Daily Times:
    >
    > http://alturl.com/ci6rp




    Which says, "CONCORD – An investigation has been launched into the
    identity thefts of customers at Ruby’s Diner at the Shoppes at Brinton
    Lake."



    OMG, the Shoppes... at Brinton Lake! Does anyplace call its complex "the
    Shoppes" anymore? Really? That's so throwback!! Time for a rename, guys.

    In any event, I'm betting that the owners of this diner were so ignorant
    of how easy it is for hackers to get into these systems that they never
    gave it a serious thought before now.



  11. #11
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 4/19/2012 3:39 AM, Andy wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a brief in the local Daily Times:
    >>
    >> http://alturl.com/ci6rp

    >
    >
    >
    > Which says, "CONCORD – An investigation has been launched into the
    > identity thefts of customers at Ruby’s Diner at the Shoppes at Brinton
    > Lake."
    >
    >
    >
    > OMG, the Shoppes... at Brinton Lake! Does anyplace call its complex

    "the
    > Shoppes" anymore? Really? That's so throwback!! Time for a rename,

    guys.
    >
    > In any event, I'm betting that the owners of this diner were so

    ignorant
    > of how easy it is for hackers to get into these systems that they never
    > gave it a serious thought before now.



    Pennyaline,

    Exactly, perhaps!

    Too bad!!!

    Andy

  12. #12
    Bloke Down The Pub Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/19/2012 3:39 AM, Andy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's a brief in the local Daily Times:
    >>>
    >>> http://alturl.com/ci6rp

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Which says, "CONCORD - An investigation has been launched into the
    >> identity thefts of customers at Ruby's Diner at the Shoppes at Brinton
    >> Lake."
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> OMG, the Shoppes... at Brinton Lake! Does anyplace call its complex

    > "the
    >> Shoppes" anymore? Really? That's so throwback!! Time for a rename,

    > guys.
    >>
    >> In any event, I'm betting that the owners of this diner were so

    > ignorant
    >> of how easy it is for hackers to get into these systems that they never
    >> gave it a serious thought before now.

    >
    >
    > Pennyaline,
    >
    > Exactly, perhaps!
    >
    > Too bad!!!
    >
    > Andy


    Here in Australia we had a credit card scam at several McDonalds'
    restaurants, this was carried out by a team of "techs from head office"
    changing the card readers in the stores for readers that sent all the
    details to the thieves. The way a Point Of Sale system works here each
    individual card swipe goes directly to the bank and is approved for the
    amount on the till and if there is not enough funds to cover the meal the
    transaction is voided. The card details are not held at the store on any of
    the machines.

    Mike



  13. #13
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:59:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:28:01 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    >
    >>
    >>What's a restaurant doing storing customer
    >>credit card numbers???

    >
    > They may only transmit once or twice a day to the bank so there would
    > be a cache of information.


    The card numbers are not stored. Only the transaction numbers. Thsoe
    numbers link back to the actual CC's on file at the CC processing
    company once that batch is transmitted.

    -sw

  14. #14
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:14:21 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:

    > In any event, I'm betting that the owners of this diner were so ignorant
    > of how easy it is for hackers to get into these systems that they never
    > gave it a serious thought before now.


    Ruby's diners are a big chain of 50's retro diners. Funny, though,
    that restaurant is not listed on their website (at least not in
    Concord).

    -sw

  15. #15
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:15:40 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:52:06 -0400, George M. Middius wrote:
    >
    >> sf wrote:
    >>
    >>> If banks and the military/white house/government can be hacked, I
    >>> don't see why they can't hack into a restaurant site.

    >>
    >> That's certainly believable, but Addled does have a point: Why on
    >> earth is a merchant storing credit card numbers on a hackable computer
    >> connected to the 'Net?

    >
    >The spyware could be capturing outbound data being transmitted by the
    >restaurant to the credit card processing company before it's
    >encrypted. They did this to Restaurant Depot late last year. It was
    >sending all credit card info offsite to a Russian computer. They
    >hacked the software that links the readers to their central CC
    >processing computers. Similar schemes have also compromised Subway
    >and Lucky grocery stores.
    >
    >They are not going to go into that much detail in a news story (not
    >that the media would be able to explain it properly anyway).
    >
    >Also credit card numbers are required at some restaurants to secure
    >reservations. If they don't show up, they charge the card $25 (or
    >whatever) as a no-show fee. There's no other way to accomplish that
    >without storing the card information until the time of the
    >reservation. They could pre-auth the card at the time the reservation
    >is made and throw away the card number, but that only works for
    >reservations that are taken 6 days or less in advance. And that
    >wouldn't go over too well with some customers.
    >
    >-sw


    Can you imagine say hacking Marriott with all the pre aut. cards for
    room holds....god forbid.

  16. #16
    T Guest

    Default Re: OT: Restaurant Hacked!?!

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >
    > "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > > Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 4/19/2012 3:39 AM, Andy wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Here's a brief in the local Daily Times:
    > >>>
    > >>> http://alturl.com/ci6rp
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Which says, "CONCORD - An investigation has been launched into the
    > >> identity thefts of customers at Ruby's Diner at the Shoppes at Brinton
    > >> Lake."
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> OMG, the Shoppes... at Brinton Lake! Does anyplace call its complex

    > > "the
    > >> Shoppes" anymore? Really? That's so throwback!! Time for a rename,

    > > guys.
    > >>
    > >> In any event, I'm betting that the owners of this diner were so

    > > ignorant
    > >> of how easy it is for hackers to get into these systems that they never
    > >> gave it a serious thought before now.

    > >
    > >
    > > Pennyaline,
    > >
    > > Exactly, perhaps!
    > >
    > > Too bad!!!
    > >
    > > Andy

    >
    > Here in Australia we had a credit card scam at several McDonalds'
    > restaurants, this was carried out by a team of "techs from head office"
    > changing the card readers in the stores for readers that sent all the
    > details to the thieves. The way a Point Of Sale system works here each
    > individual card swipe goes directly to the bank and is approved for the
    > amount on the till and if there is not enough funds to cover the meal the
    > transaction is voided. The card details are not held at the store on any of
    > the machines.
    >
    > Mike


    This same scam was run on Stop & Shop grocery stores in the northeast
    U.S. a few years ago.

    Now they're a little more careful with the credit card terminals.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32