Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    I'm using my third OT card in 20 years.

    How many of you belong to neighborhood association/home-owner mailing
    lists?

    Do you post to them? (are they open forums?)

    Do you find them useful? What do they talk/bitch about?

    Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?

    ObDinner: Black Buffalo Blue Burger from:

    http://www.blacksheeplodge.com/

    -sw

  2. #2
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "Sqwertz" wrote

    > How many of you belong to neighborhood association/home-owner mailing
    > lists?


    Me, though it's not an HOA.

    > Do you post to them? (are they open forums?)


    Yes I post, but it is not an open list.

    > Do you find them useful? What do they talk/bitch about?


    Yes, we use them to plan our various picnics and other meals including an
    annual 'big bash' where we arrange with the city to legall block off our one
    street for a big group. Those of us on the street get donated parking spots
    just out of the zone or use the middle school just behind my street (easy
    walking distance, parties are on a Saturday and the school doesn't mind as
    long as we warn them).

    We talk mostly food and planning little fun things locally and sometimes one
    will ask for some volunteers to help.

    Many are older and have wood ramps that need repairs (especially after a
    hard winter). Don just got back earlier in the week from measuring
    Estelle's which has 3 panels that need to be replaced. Some of the PT wood
    from 2 years ago wasn't properly hard cured so they are getting uneven. It
    will take us about 15 mins to cut new ones and about same for Tom to use his
    good pressure nailer to get them in place.

    Don's known for having the good cutting tools so folks bring us the wood and
    we measure and do that part. Last count, there are 11 wood ramps we either
    made, or maintain within a 4 block radius (some back and front of house to
    make 11). That and I am not sure how many wedge ramps just for that 3 inch
    difference between kitchen and garage common here.

    If you want to think of it like an HOA, it's not your normal one. No fees
    and no obligation. Just neighbors helping out or having a picnic.

    > Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    > gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?


    Nope, because they aren't.


  3. #3
    I'm back. Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "cshenk" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected] :


    >
    > Many are older and have wood ramps that need repairs (especially after a
    > hard winter). Don just got back earlier in the week from measuring
    > Estelle's which has 3 panels that need to be replaced. Some of the PT
    > wood from 2 years ago wasn't properly hard cured so they are getting
    > uneven. It will take us about 15 mins to cut new ones and about same
    > for Tom to use his good pressure nailer to get them in place.
    >
    > Don's known for having the good cutting tools so folks bring us the wood
    > and we measure and do that part. Last count, there are 11 wood ramps we
    > either made, or maintain within a 4 block radius (some back and front of
    > house to make 11). That and I am not sure how many wedge ramps just for
    > that 3 inch difference between kitchen and garage common here.
    >
    > If you want to think of it like an HOA, it's not your normal one. No
    > fees and no obligation. Just neighbors helping out or having a picnic.





    And you would be damn good neighbours for anyone to have!!

    I'm sure your friends and neighbours tell you, but....... people like you
    and Don are few and far bewteen. You're an asset to your community, and a
    benchmark for all those 'wasted spaces' of society to aspire to.

    Well done C&D.




    >
    >> Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    >> gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?

    >
    > Nope, because they aren't.
    >
    >




    And now you know why that particular 'wasted space' is in my killfile.


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Hobart
    Tasmania

    "As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
    and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
    we are.

    We are Queenslanders.

    We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

    We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:57:52 -0500, cshenk wrote:

    > We talk mostly food and planning little fun things locally and sometimes one
    > will ask for some volunteers to help.


    Ours is used to bitch about other neighbors. And building lawsuits to
    sue them for various reasons (home businesses, driving fast, uglay
    yards). And even accusing others of illegal activity such as stealing
    mail and robbing houses.

    But heaven forbid you should type the word "****" (which is what I was
    "disciplined" last night). I told them if they didn't like it, then
    to go get ****ed.

    -sw

  5. #5
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "I'm back." <[email protected]> wrote
    > "cshenk" wrote in


    >> Many are older and have wood ramps that need repairs (especially after a
    >> hard winter). Don just got back earlier in the week from measuring
    >> Estelle's which has 3 panels that need to be replaced. Some of the PT
    >> wood from 2 years ago wasn't properly hard cured so they are getting
    >> uneven. It will take us about 15 mins to cut new ones and about same
    >> for Tom to use his good pressure nailer to get them in place.
    >>
    >> Don's known for having the good cutting tools so folks bring us the wood
    >> and we measure and do that part. Last count, there are 11 wood ramps we
    >> either made, or maintain within a 4 block radius (some back and front of
    >> house to make 11). That and I am not sure how many wedge ramps just for
    >> that 3 inch difference between kitchen and garage common here.
    >>
    >> If you want to think of it like an HOA, it's not your normal one. No
    >> fees and no obligation. Just neighbors helping out or having a picnic.


    > And you would be damn good neighbours for anyone to have!!


    Not just me! While I was typing recipes here, Anna Lynn (a new renter in
    Joe and Angela's house while they are in Guam with the kids) went into
    labor. Her husband is in Afghanistan. She posted then called her Mom but
    Art got over right away as he said first ones are not always slow to arrive.
    Anna Lynn's 2 little pekes are relocated for the day or next few with
    Maylene who lost her labrador recently. She wants her Mom with her but
    she's got a clowder of grandmom sorts all sitting about including 'Momma
    Teresa' (local name, not the famous one). Momma Teresa's older than god at
    96 but home birthed 14 children of which 11 made adulthood.

    As I typed this, Anna Lynn's Mom arrived and took her to the Portsmouth
    Naval hospital after timing contractions. Looks like I have a new little
    neighbor!

    No, I didn't do anything in this case. I'm just watching the community
    effect of a group that we have here.

    > I'm sure your friends and neighbours tell you, but....... people like you
    > and Don are few and far bewteen. You're an asset to your community, and a
    > benchmark for all those 'wasted spaces' of society to aspire to.


    Not just me. You just hear of it 'from me'. I just bought this house in
    1995 from a fellow who was well respected and hosted picnics and kept it up
    because the house was almost built with that in mind. 44ft by 13 ft fully
    screened porch and great lighting all along the back yard. It grew to an
    email group and we know each other from it.

    HOA's i've heard of are not a good thing, or at least reach not the same
    levels. Nieghborhood mailing list maybe fits us best?


  6. #6
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "Sqwertz" wrote
    > cshenk wrote:


    >> We talk mostly food and planning little fun things locally and sometimes
    >> one
    >> will ask for some volunteers to help.


    > Ours is used to bitch about other neighbors. And building lawsuits to
    > sue them for various reasons (home businesses, driving fast, uglay
    > yards). And even accusing others of illegal activity such as stealing
    > mail and robbing houses.


    It takes work to make things happen in a community. It is not gifted to you
    automatically so if you have done nothing to make it work, then you got what
    you put into it.

    What have you put into making your community work? If nothing, then quit
    bitching.



  7. #7
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:20:57 -0500, cshenk wrote:

    > Not just me! While I was typing recipes here, Anna Lynn (a new renter in
    > Joe and Angela's house while they are in Guam with the kids) went into
    > labor. Her husband is in Afghanistan. She posted then called her Mom but
    > Art got over right away as he said first ones are not always slow to arrive.
    > Anna Lynn's 2 little pekes are relocated for the day or next few with
    > Maylene who lost her labrador recently. She wants her Mom with her but
    > she's got a clowder of grandmom sorts all sitting about including 'Momma
    > Teresa' (local name, not the famous one). Momma Teresa's older than god at
    > 96 but home birthed 14 children of which 11 made adulthood.
    >
    > As I typed this, Anna Lynn's Mom arrived and took her to the Portsmouth
    > Naval hospital after timing contractions. Looks like I have a new little
    > neighbor!


    Soap Operas on Saturday? TMI.

    -sw

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:57:52 -0500, "cshenk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" wrote
    >
    > > How many of you belong to neighborhood association/home-owner mailing
    > > lists?

    >
    > Me, though it's not an HOA.
    >
    > > Do you post to them? (are they open forums?)

    >
    > Yes I post, but it is not an open list.
    >
    > > Do you find them useful? What do they talk/bitch about?

    >

    <snip>
    >
    > We talk mostly food and planning little fun things locally and sometimes one
    > will ask for some volunteers to help.
    >

    <snip>
    >
    > If you want to think of it like an HOA, it's not your normal one. No fees
    > and no obligation. Just neighbors helping out or having a picnic.
    >
    > > Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    > > gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?

    >
    > Nope, because they aren't.


    Mine is a closed group, focused on neighborhood affairs... monthly
    meetings, safety, what's happening in the greater area that impacts us
    as a neighborhood, asking who has a recommendation for x (plumber,
    painter, electrician, daycare and preschool)... down to the little
    things like helping a kid print a paper because her printer wasn't
    working, kids looking for babysitting jobs, a mother looking for more
    copies of a certain newspaper because her sons photo was in the
    business section and people giving away things like crockpots. One of
    the last blasts was looking for volunteers to sign up for the
    city-sponsored graffiti abatement team called "Graffiti Watch" so we
    can police our own neighborhood. I find it very useful and unlike
    usenet in all respects.


    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  9. #9
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "Sqwertz" wrote
    > cshenk wrote:


    >> As I typed this, Anna Lynn's Mom arrived and took her to the Portsmouth
    >> Naval hospital after timing contractions. Looks like I have a new little
    >> neighbor!


    > Soap Operas on Saturday? TMI.


    Then do not ask about neighborhood mailing lists. You specifically *asked*
    about them.


  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:57:19 -0500, cshenk wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" wrote
    >> cshenk wrote:

    >
    >>> As I typed this, Anna Lynn's Mom arrived and took her to the Portsmouth
    >>> Naval hospital after timing contractions. Looks like I have a new little
    >>> neighbor!

    >
    >> Soap Operas on Saturday? TMI.

    >
    > Then do not ask about neighborhood mailing lists. You specifically *asked*
    > about them.


    I didn't ask about the names and personal lives of all your neighbors.
    I asked how they were used.

    That was weird.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:41:03 -0800, sf wrote:

    > Mine is a closed group, focused on neighborhood affairs...


    By "Open forum" I meant that everybody in the neighborhood could post
    to it unmoderated. Rather than it being moderated or only used for
    announcements by officers.

    Most mailing lists of that sort are going to require a "join" process
    to avoid spam and to allow people like me to be banned for saying the
    word "****".

    -sw

  12. #12
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    "Sqwertz" wrote
    > cshenk wrote:


    >> Then do not ask about neighborhood mailing lists. You specifically
    >> *asked*
    >> about them.


    > I didn't ask about the names and personal lives of all your neighbors.
    > I asked how they were used.


    You got only nicknames and first names. You asked how they were used.
    *Obviously* it boggles your mind that there may be a positive and you
    expected a bunch of 'oh how horrible they all are' and didn't get that back
    so you could commiserate.


  13. #13
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:40:15 -0500, cshenk wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" wrote
    >> cshenk wrote:

    >
    >>> Then do not ask about neighborhood mailing lists. You specifically
    >>> *asked*
    >>> about them.

    >
    >> I didn't ask about the names and personal lives of all your neighbors.
    >> I asked how they were used.

    >
    > You got only nicknames and first names. You asked how they were used.
    > *Obviously* it boggles your mind that there may be a positive and you
    > expected a bunch of 'oh how horrible they all are' and didn't get that back
    > so you could commiserate.


    Uh no. I was looking for uses and their usefulness whether positive
    or negative. Nobody cares about your neighbors lives. I'm sorry if
    that disappoints you, narcissist.

    -sw

  14. #14
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:27:16 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:57:52 -0500, cshenk wrote:
    >
    >> We talk mostly food and planning little fun things locally and sometimes one
    >> will ask for some volunteers to help.

    >
    > Ours is used to bitch about other neighbors. And building lawsuits to
    > sue them for various reasons (home businesses, driving fast, uglay
    > yards). And even accusing others of illegal activity such as stealing
    > mail and robbing houses.
    >
    > But heaven forbid you should type the word "****" (which is what I was
    > "disciplined" last night). I told them if they didn't like it, then
    > to go get ****ed.
    >
    > -sw


    won't somebody please think of the children?!?!!

    your pal,
    helen

  15. #15
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On 2/12/2011 10:27 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > But heaven forbid you should type the word "****" (which is what I was
    > "disciplined" last night). I told them if they didn't like it, then
    > to go get ****ed.


    Yeah, the locals on these mailing lists are nothing like peeps on
    Usenet. I got booted out of a local yahoo group for something really
    minor, no cussing involved. SOBs. lol

  16. #16
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > I'm using my third OT card in 20 years.
    >
    > How many of you belong to neighborhood association/home-owner mailing
    > lists?
    >
    > Do you post to them? (are they open forums?)
    >
    > Do you find them useful? What do they talk/bitch about?
    >
    > Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    > gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?
    >
    > ObDinner: Black Buffalo Blue Burger from:
    >
    > http://www.blacksheeplodge.com/
    >
    > -sw


    My current HOA has finally figured out I own this house. So they sent me a
    letter insisting I join a club. No, I don't think so. It took them three
    years to figure out I own the house. I've been paying the HOA dues since
    2008. I figure it will take them another 3-4 years before they realize I
    shredded that letter along with the application for "membership".

    HOA's are bull****. They don't do anything for you but you pay them out the
    wazoo to live there.

    Jill


  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:46:56 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > HOA's are bull****. They don't do anything for you but you pay them out the
    > wazoo to live there.


    Some HOA's do serve purposes such as maintaining private parks and
    recreation centers (swimming pools, clubhouses, playgrounds, stocking
    fish in the lake, cleaning the lake, etc). Some even work as to not
    be a profit center - all monies get put back into the community with
    very few reasonably salaried staff.

    Of course truly useful ones are probably rare these days. And you
    always have the bitchers that whine, "I don't fish or have kids who
    use the playgrounds". Well, hate to remind you that everyone pays
    city/county/state taxes that pay for schools and parks, that's just
    life. You pay for clubhouses and pools and playgrounds when you live
    in many apartments, too.

    -sw

  18. #18
    L G Guest

    Default Re: OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> I'm using my third OT card in 20 years.
    >>
    >> How many of you belong to neighborhood association/home-owner mailing
    >> lists?
    >>
    >> Do you post to them? (are they open forums?)
    >>
    >> Do you find them useful? What do they talk/bitch about?
    >>
    >> Have you ever told all your neighbors they're a bunch of whiny-assed,
    >> gabbing, do-nothing pussy farts?
    >>
    >> ObDinner: Black Buffalo Blue Burger from:
    >>
    >> http://www.blacksheeplodge.com/
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > My current HOA has finally figured out I own this house. So they sent
    > me a letter insisting I join a club. No, I don't think so. It took
    > them three years to figure out I own the house. I've been paying the
    > HOA dues since 2008. I figure it will take them another 3-4 years
    > before they realize I shredded that letter along with the application
    > for "membership".
    >
    > HOA's are bull****. They don't do anything for you but you pay them
    > out the wazoo to live there.
    >
    > Jill

    You can always move.

  19. #19
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: OT: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    > Some HOA's do serve purposes such as maintaining private parks and
    > recreation centers (swimming pools, clubhouses, playgrounds, stocking
    > fish in the lake, cleaning the lake, etc). Some even work as to not
    > be a profit center - all monies get put back into the community with
    > very few reasonably salaried staff.


    Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR several weeks ago.
    It was about a company that already was doing DNA testing
    on dogs for dog breeding and police forensic purposes that
    was doing trials of a new service: DNA typing dogs as a
    condition for living in some condominium complex or something
    so they could identify residents that violated the rules
    on dog feces, by also DNA typing the feces.

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Neighborhood Mailing Lists

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:40:15 -0500, "cshenk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" wrote
    > > cshenk wrote:

    >
    > >> Then do not ask about neighborhood mailing lists. You specifically
    > >> *asked*
    > >> about them.

    >
    > > I didn't ask about the names and personal lives of all your neighbors.
    > > I asked how they were used.

    >
    > You got only nicknames and first names. You asked how they were used.
    > *Obviously* it boggles your mind that there may be a positive and you
    > expected a bunch of 'oh how horrible they all are' and didn't get that back
    > so you could commiserate.


    This thread pretty much explains how his neighborhood mailing list got
    to be so negative. He's obviously the catalyst.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32