Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Congrats, neighbors!!!

    Andy

  2. #2
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy <q> wrote:

    > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >
    > Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >
    > Andy


    Wow! Should I rush out and buy a horse?
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

    Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

  3. #3
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    ChattyCathy said...

    > Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>
    >> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > Wow! Should I rush out and buy a horse?



    Cathy,

    I'd first refer you to Michael "\Dog3\" for horse sense and other nonsense!


    <smootch>

    Best,

    Andy
    Donkey (from Shrek)

  4. #4
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy wrote:
    > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >
    > Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >


    Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    competition.

  5. #5
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Dave Smith said...

    > Andy wrote:
    >> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>
    >> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>

    >
    > Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    > beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    > competition.



    Dave,

    I can't imagine what's involved in the sport! He made it look so easy!

    Best,

    Andy

  6. #6
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy <q> wrote:

    > ChattyCathy said...
    >
    >> Andy <q> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>>
    >>> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>>
    >>> Andy

    >>
    >> Wow! Should I rush out and buy a horse?

    >
    >
    > Cathy,
    >
    > I'd first refer you to Michael "\Dog3\" for horse sense and other
    > nonsense!
    >
    >


    I think I'll leave it to Michael. I am 'skeer-ed' of horses.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

    Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

  7. #7
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    ChattyCathy said...

    > Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >> ChattyCathy said...
    >>
    >>> Andy <q> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> Andy
    >>>
    >>> Wow! Should I rush out and buy a horse?

    >>
    >>
    >> Cathy,
    >>
    >> I'd first refer you to Michael "\Dog3\" for horse sense and other
    >> nonsense!
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I think I'll leave it to Michael. I am 'skeer-ed' of horses.



    Cathy,

    You and me both!!!

    Got bucked off a horse at summer camp in my youth.

    I'm too heavy/wrong-way shaped (?) to be a jockey.

    Kinda/sorta like 2D Jack!

    Can I drive the point home any further!??

    <smootch>

    See ya!

    Andy
    Will pray for the day!

  8. #8
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    On Aug 21, 11:52*am, Andy <q> wrote:
    > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >
    > Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >
    > Andy


    And four horses were found to have been doped with capsaicin.
    Apparently, it's used topically as a painkiller, but also makes the
    horse step higher than normal, which would help in jumping, perhaps.

    "HONG KONG (AP) Four horses in the Olympic equestrian team jumping
    competition, including one from Norway's bronze-medal team, have been
    provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned pain
    reliever.

    "The drug test results - positive for capsaicin in each case - were
    announced Thursday afternoon by the sport's international governing
    body.

    "The horse Camiro, ridden by Tony Andre Hansen, was part of Norway's
    bronze-medal team, and the team could lose its medal. The other three
    horses are Ireland's Lantinus, ridden by Dennis Lynch; Brazil's Chupa
    Chup, ridden by Bernardo Alves; and Germany's Coster, ridden by
    Christian Ahlmann.

    "Hansen, Lynch and Alves will not be allowed to ride in Thursday
    night's individual competition. Ahlmann wasn't entered in the event.

    "A second blood sample for each horse will be tested in an
    "accelerated procedure," in the next two days."

  9. #9
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Dave Smith <[email protected]> news:48adae82$0$19239
    $[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking

    > Andy wrote:
    >> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>
    >> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>

    >
    > Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    > beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    > competition.


    I dozed through a lot of it. I've got some kind of flu type bug and been
    sleeping most of the day. What I saw of it the competition looked pretty
    tough to me.

    Michael



    --
    "No More Getting Jerked Around by the Gas Nozzle"
    ~ Senator Larry Craig R-Idaho on Cspan-2


    To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  10. #10
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Michael "Dog3" said...

    > Dave Smith <[email protected]> news:48adae82$0$19239
    > $[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>>
    >>> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>>

    >>
    >> Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    >> beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    >> competition.

    >
    > I dozed through a lot of it. I've got some kind of flu type bug and been
    > sleeping most of the day. What I saw of it the competition looked pretty
    > tough to me.
    >
    > Michael



    Michael,

    Thought about you!

    Feel better soon!!!

    Andy

  11. #11
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy wrote:
    > Dave Smith said...
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>>
    >>> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>>

    >> Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    >> beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    >> competition.

    >
    >
    > Dave,
    >
    > I can't imagine what's involved in the sport! He made it look so easy!


    It is a fun sport, and it ain't easy. There is a lot of stuff happening
    between horse and rider. You have to gauge the distance to the jump and
    get the horse moving at the right speed and the right pace so that they
    jump at the right spot and the right angle to clear the jumps. Some of
    them are straight rails, but there are also oxers, which are sets of
    rails so they have to travel further in the jump to clear them. The
    rider uses his/her legs to set the gait and speed and for steering.

    Don't let anyone try to tell you that the horse does all the work. It is
    the rider telling the horse what to do, and it is physically demanding.

    I am off on vacation tomorrow to a summer camp (campers have left) where
    I will be doing the advanced trail rides through forest. It is the
    main reason that I take weekly riding lessons.

  12. #12
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy wrote:
    >
    > You and me both!!!
    >
    > Got bucked off a horse at summer camp in my youth.
    >
    > I'm too heavy/wrong-way shaped (?) to be a jockey.
    >
    > Kinda/sorta like 2D Jack!
    >
    > Can I drive the point home any further!??


    I used to go riding every year on my summer vacation at that camp. I
    fell off so many times that I assumed that it was part of riding and
    gave up when I got hurt at about age 30. Then about 6 years ago I ran
    into an old friend who needed someone to ride with. I told her that I
    really didn't know how to ride and she said she would teach me. I got
    hooked. When she and her husband split up and I lost the access to free
    riding I signed up for lessons.....at age 53. I fell off a few more
    times, even broke my collar bone once, but I am still doing it.

  13. #13
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Dave Smith said...

    > Andy wrote:
    >> Dave Smith said...
    >>
    >>> Andy wrote:
    >>>> OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> Congrats, neighbors!!!
    >>>>
    >>> Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    >>> beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    >>> competition.

    >>
    >>
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> I can't imagine what's involved in the sport! He made it look so easy!

    >
    > It is a fun sport, and it ain't easy. There is a lot of stuff happening
    > between horse and rider. You have to gauge the distance to the jump and
    > get the horse moving at the right speed and the right pace so that they
    > jump at the right spot and the right angle to clear the jumps. Some of
    > them are straight rails, but there are also oxers, which are sets of
    > rails so they have to travel further in the jump to clear them. The
    > rider uses his/her legs to set the gait and speed and for steering.
    >
    > Don't let anyone try to tell you that the horse does all the work. It is
    > the rider telling the horse what to do, and it is physically demanding.
    >
    > I am off on vacation tomorrow to a summer camp (campers have left) where
    > I will be doing the advanced trail rides through forest. It is the
    > main reason that I take weekly riding lessons.



    Dave,

    Thanks for the fill ins. I KNOW it ain't easy. A marriage of rider and
    horse is how I imagined.

    Have a nice vacation!

    Best,

    Andy

  14. #14
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Michael "Dog3" wrote:

    >>>

    >> Thank you. I watched most of it live this morning. Eric Lamaze rode
    >> beautifully throughout the equestrian events, and there was tough
    >> competition.

    >
    > I dozed through a lot of it. I've got some kind of flu type bug and been
    > sleeping most of the day. What I saw of it the competition looked pretty
    > tough to me.


    Sorry to hear that. This is a rotten time of year to be sick. You are
    supposed to save things like that for the winter when it is too
    miserable to be outside anyway.

    I have been watching it on Bold TV which has almost uninterrupted
    coverage of the equestrian events, with good commentating and only one 2
    minute commercial break each half hour. I don't usually watch
    television in the morning, preferring to catch the replay in the
    evening, but I watched it this morning because we had too much to do
    this evening. We are packing up for a week up north. I will have five
    days of wild rides through the woods. It is the whoel reason for my
    weekly riding lessons.

  15. #15
    Golden One Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    On Aug 22, 3:55*am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 11:52*am, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    > > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    >
    > > Congrats, neighbors!!!

    >
    > > Andy

    >
    > And four horses were found to have been doped with capsaicin.
    > Apparently, it's used topically as a painkiller, but also makes the
    > horse step higher than normal, which would help in jumping, perhaps.


    I doubt it has any effect on jumping ability, however it will mask the
    pain/soreness that would otherwise make the horse under perform.

    That said, IMO a horse that is carrying an injury or soreness that
    requires a painkilling or anti-inflammatory drug should not be
    competing. It should be resting.

    JB, who loves my horses too much to ever treat them like commodities.


    >
    > "HONG KONG (AP) Four horses in the Olympic equestrian team jumping
    > competition, including one from Norway's bronze-medal team, have been
    > provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned pain
    > reliever.
    >
    > "The drug test results - positive for capsaicin in each case - were
    > announced Thursday afternoon by the sport's international governing
    > body.
    >
    > "The horse Camiro, ridden by Tony Andre Hansen, was part of Norway's
    > bronze-medal team, and the team could lose its medal. The other three
    > horses are Ireland's Lantinus, ridden by Dennis Lynch; Brazil's Chupa
    > Chup, ridden by Bernardo Alves; and Germany's Coster, ridden by
    > Christian Ahlmann.
    >
    > "Hansen, Lynch and Alves will not be allowed to ride in Thursday
    > night's individual competition. Ahlmann wasn't entered in the event.
    >
    > "A second blood sample for each horse will be tested in an
    > "accelerated procedure," in the next two days."



  16. #16
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Andy <q> news:[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking

    >
    > Feel better soon!!!
    >
    > Andy


    Thanks. It's just the yearly sinus infection I get. It's not so much the
    runny nose and the snot but the headache is real bad. I'm much better
    today. The antibiotics have kicked in.

    Michael



    --
    "No More Getting Jerked Around by the Gas Nozzle"
    ~ Senator Larry Craig R-Idaho on Cspan-2


    To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  17. #17
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Dave Smith <[email protected]>
    news:48ae156b$0$19226$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.co m: in rec.food.cooking

    >
    > Sorry to hear that. This is a rotten time of year to be sick. You are
    > supposed to save things like that for the winter when it is too
    > miserable to be outside anyway.


    I'll be mobile today I'm actually doing a load of laundry while I
    post. What's the weather like up there? It's been beautiful here the
    past 2 weeks and then it began to rain Wednesday night. Rained all day
    yesterday and doesn't look to promising today.

    >
    > I have been watching it on Bold TV which has almost uninterrupted
    > coverage of the equestrian events, with good commentating and only one
    > 2 minute commercial break each half hour. I don't usually watch
    > television in the morning, preferring to catch the replay in the
    > evening, but I watched it this morning because we had too much to do
    > this evening. We are packing up for a week up north. I will have five
    > days of wild rides through the woods. It is the whoel reason for my
    > weekly riding lessons.


    Define "wild ride" When I was young we'd take long trail rides and
    camp out. It was usually a 3 day, 2 night thing. It was fun and I
    really enjoyed it. My old paint 1/4 horse, Maude was my favorite trail
    horse. She was awesome at barrel racing too. She died quietly of old
    age my sophomore year in college.

    Michael



    --
    "No More Getting Jerked Around by the Gas Nozzle"
    ~ Senator Larry Craig R-Idaho on Cspan-2


    To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  18. #18
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    On Aug 22, 1:48*am, Golden One <jpbu...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
    > On Aug 22, 3:55*am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 21, 11:52*am, Andy <q> wrote:

    >
    > > > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    >
    > > > Congrats, neighbors!!!

    >
    > > > Andy

    >
    > > And four horses were found to have been doped with capsaicin.
    > > Apparently, it's used topically as a painkiller, but also makes the
    > > horse step higher than normal, which would help in jumping, perhaps.

    >
    > I doubt it has any effect on jumping ability, however it will mask the
    > pain/soreness that would otherwise make the horse under perform.
    >
    > That said, IMO a horse that is carrying an injury or soreness that
    > requires a painkilling or anti-inflammatory drug should not be
    > competing. It should be resting.
    >
    > JB, who loves my horses too much to ever treat them like commodities.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > "HONG KONG (AP) Four horses in the Olympic equestrian team jumping
    > > competition, including one from Norway's bronze-medal team, have been
    > > provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned pain
    > > reliever.

    >
    > > "The drug test results - positive for capsaicin in each case - were
    > > announced Thursday afternoon by the sport's international governing
    > > body.

    >
    > > "The horse Camiro, ridden by Tony Andre Hansen, was part of Norway's
    > > bronze-medal team, and the team could lose its medal. The other three
    > > horses are Ireland's Lantinus, ridden by Dennis Lynch; Brazil's Chupa
    > > Chup, ridden by Bernardo Alves; and Germany's Coster, ridden by
    > > Christian Ahlmann.

    >
    > > "Hansen, Lynch and Alves will not be allowed to ride in Thursday
    > > night's individual competition. Ahlmann wasn't entered in the event.

    >
    > > "A second blood sample for each horse will be tested in an
    > > "accelerated procedure," in the next two days."- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I dunno, I don't have horses, but a horse person told me that
    capsaicin made them lift their legs higher.

    It seems silly to me to ban a topical painkiller. Can't the human
    athletes take Advil or Tylenol?? Or use Ben-Gay? or even horse
    liniment? LOL.

    N.

  19. #19
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    Nancy2 said...

    > On Aug 22, 1:48*am, Golden One <jpbu...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
    >> On Aug 22, 3:55*am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Aug 21, 11:52*am, Andy <q> wrote:

    >>
    >> > > OT: Canada gets Equestrian Gold!!!

    >>
    >> > > Congrats, neighbors!!!

    >>
    >> > > Andy

    >>
    >> > And four horses were found to have been doped with capsaicin.
    >> > Apparently, it's used topically as a painkiller, but also makes the
    >> > horse step higher than normal, which would help in jumping, perhaps.

    >>
    >> I doubt it has any effect on jumping ability, however it will mask the
    >> pain/soreness that would otherwise make the horse under perform.
    >>
    >> That said, IMO a horse that is carrying an injury or soreness that
    >> requires a painkilling or anti-inflammatory drug should not be
    >> competing. It should be resting.
    >>
    >> JB, who loves my horses too much to ever treat them like commodities.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > "HONG KONG (AP) Four horses in the Olympic equestrian team jumping
    >> > competition, including one from Norway's bronze-medal team, have been
    >> > provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned pain
    >> > reliever.

    >>
    >> > "The drug test results - positive for capsaicin in each case - were
    >> > announced Thursday afternoon by the sport's international governing
    >> > body.

    >>
    >> > "The horse Camiro, ridden by Tony Andre Hansen, was part of Norway's
    >> > bronze-medal team, and the team could lose its medal. The other three
    >> > horses are Ireland's Lantinus, ridden by Dennis Lynch; Brazil's Chupa
    >> > Chup, ridden by Bernardo Alves; and Germany's Coster, ridden by
    >> > Christian Ahlmann.

    >>
    >> > "Hansen, Lynch and Alves will not be allowed to ride in Thursday
    >> > night's individual competition. Ahlmann wasn't entered in the event.

    >>
    >> > "A second blood sample for each horse will be tested in an
    >> > "accelerated procedure," in the next two days."- Hide quoted text -

    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > I dunno, I don't have horses, but a horse person told me that
    > capsaicin made them lift their legs higher.
    >
    > It seems silly to me to ban a topical painkiller. Can't the human
    > athletes take Advil or Tylenol?? Or use Ben-Gay? or even horse
    > liniment? LOL.
    >
    > N.



    I wonder how they view lasix (a breathing agent for horses here in the US)
    at the Olympics? It's listed on the racing form if a horse gets it.

    Andy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32