Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Organic Cantaloupe problem

  1. #1
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Organic Cantaloupe problem

    I have a question

    Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    Dimitri

  2. #2
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:12:10 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a question
    >
    >Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?


    No.

    >Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?


    No... neither are they less dangerous.

  3. #3
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:12:10 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a question
    >
    >Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?
    >

    snip
    >
    >Dimitri

    No. Listeria is a bacteria
    Janet US

  4. #4
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:32:48 -0600, Janet Bostwick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:12:10 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a question
    >>
    >>Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?
    >>

    >snip
    >>
    >>Dimitri

    >No. Listeria is a bacteria
    >Janet US

    Sorry, I hit send accidentally before I was finished. To my
    knowledge, there are no agricultural pesticides specifically aimed at
    listeria. I don't think such a pesticide would be cost effective or
    maybe even safe. I don't think whether a crop is grown organically or
    not has anything to do with this issue.
    Janet US

  5. #5
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    Dimitri wrote:
    >
    > I have a question
    >
    > Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?


    Not generally. The largest group of pesticides are
    acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. Bacteria don't have
    acetylcholinesterase. Some pesticides contain soaps
    that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    much.

    > Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?


    They might be, but not for that reason. The latest
    speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    heard that a day or two ago.

    I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    people prepare their food.

  6. #6
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem


    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a question
    >>
    >> Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    >
    > Not generally. The largest group of pesticides are
    > acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. Bacteria don't have
    > acetylcholinesterase. Some pesticides contain soaps
    > that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    > much.
    >
    >> Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    >
    > They might be, but not for that reason. The latest
    > speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    > the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    > heard that a day or two ago.
    >
    > I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    > Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    > does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    > people prepare their food.


    I heard some 'authority' expound today on the subject and he said that
    washing the cantaloupes 'might' lessen the problem. Might? I'm pretty
    vigilant about washing food but it never crossed my mind to wash a
    cantaloupe. I peel and cube (chunk?) them. Maybe since the listeria
    disaster that we'd better start running them through the dishwasher. Polly


  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem


    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j65pdg$od2$[email protected]..
    >I have a question
    >
    > Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?


    No.
    >
    > Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?


    No.



  8. #8
    Lucille Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sep 30, 11:25*pm, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >
    > > I have a question

    >
    > > Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    >
    > Not generally. *The largest group of pesticides are
    > acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. *Bacteria don't have
    > acetylcholinesterase. *Some pesticides contain soaps
    > that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    > much.
    >
    > > Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    >
    > They might be, but not for that reason. *The latest
    > speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    > the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    > heard that a day or two ago.
    >
    > I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    > Somebody should study that. *I always assume everybody
    > does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    > people prepare their food.


    I always wondered why on the cooking shows they take a
    package of food and open it up and start using it without washing it.

    And when Emeril had a show on the food channel, he came in and
    walked by people shaking all those hands but I never saw him wash
    his hands before handling the food. I oftened wonder how many
    germs are on all those hands.

    Lucille


  9. #9
    Lucille Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sep 30, 11:32*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:
    > "Mark Thorson" <nos...@sonic.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > Dimitri wrote:

    >
    > >> I have a question

    >
    > >> Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    >
    > > Not generally. *The largest group of pesticides are
    > > acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. *Bacteria don't have
    > > acetylcholinesterase. *Some pesticides contain soaps
    > > that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    > > much.

    >
    > >> Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    >
    > > They might be, but not for that reason. *The latest
    > > speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    > > the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    > > heard that a day or two ago.

    >
    > > I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    > > Somebody should study that. *I always assume everybody
    > > does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    > > people prepare their food.

    >
    > I heard some 'authority' expound today on the subject and he said that
    > washing the cantaloupes 'might' lessen the problem. *Might? *I'm pretty
    > vigilant about washing food but it never crossed my mind to wash a
    > cantaloupe. * I peel and cube (chunk?) them. *Maybe since the listeria
    > disaster that we'd better start running them through the dishwasher. *Polly- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -




    http://www.naturalnews.com/033739_ca..._listeria.html

    Here's a link to something I just found in one of the newsletters I
    get.

    Lucille


  10. #10
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    >Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    >does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    >people prepare their food.


    Most folks don't wash their ass, what makes you think they'd wash a
    cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    fridge is contaminated, and then days later they prep them without any
    thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.

  11. #11
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On 9/30/2011 11:25 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a question
    >>
    >> Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    >
    > Not generally. The largest group of pesticides are
    > acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. Bacteria don't have
    > acetylcholinesterase. Some pesticides contain soaps
    > that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    > much.
    >
    >> Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    >
    > They might be, but not for that reason. The latest
    > speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    > the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    > heard that a day or two ago.
    >
    > I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    > Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    > does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    > people prepare their food.


    I always rinse vegetables before eating them, either cooked or raw and I
    wash all fruits whose skins I will consume. Until recently melons were
    among those I did not wash but I have been scrubbing them with dish
    washing soap for the last two weeks.

    --


    James Silverton, Potomac

    I'm *not* [email protected]

  12. #12
    Who_me? Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On 1/10/2011 10:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>
    >> I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    >> Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    >> does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    >> people prepare their food.

    >
    > Most folks don't wash their ass,


    I don't want to even guess how you arrived at that conclusion or what
    your personal hygiene is like. I can't imagine anyone who would not wash
    all intimate body areas as a part of standard hygiene.

    > what makes you think they'd wash a
    > cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    > directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    > fridge is contaminated,


    Contaminated refrigerators are de rigueur? You do have a good imagination.

    > and then days later they prep them without any
    > thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    > touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    > and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    > poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    > hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.


    You really are an opinionated little twit - aren't you? Absolutely full
    of straw man opinions. You have no idea at all what most people do, and
    no idea about the hygiene of others. You are a thoroughly nasty little
    waste of space.

  13. #13
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 10:58:42 -0400, James Silverton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 9/30/2011 11:25 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >> Dimitri wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have a question
    >>>
    >>> Do the pesticides normally used by agribusiness kill the Listeria?

    >>
    >> Not generally. The largest group of pesticides are
    >> acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. Bacteria don't have
    >> acetylcholinesterase. Some pesticides contain soaps
    >> that may have a little bactericidal action, but not
    >> much.
    >>
    >>> Are organic foods inherently more dangerous?

    >>
    >> They might be, but not for that reason. The latest
    >> speculation I heard is that the bacteria might be in
    >> the wash water used in the packing operation, but I
    >> heard that a day or two ago.
    >>
    >> I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    >> Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    >> does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    >> people prepare their food.

    >
    >I always rinse vegetables before eating them, either cooked or raw and I
    >wash all fruits whose skins I will consume. Until recently melons were
    >among those I did not wash but I have been scrubbing them with dish
    >washing soap for the last two weeks.


    I've always washed all produce as soon as I bring it home, before I
    put it in my fridge (I wash everything that goes in my fridge,
    especially beverage containers). Cantaloupe should be well scrubbed
    with a brush, same as potatoes... I love to scrub melons with
    something stiff.

  14. #14
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:42:25 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    snip
    Cantaloupe should be well scrubbed
    >with a brush, same as potatoes... I love to scrub melons with
    >something stiff.


    O,k., you got me, I laughed.
    Janet US

  15. #15
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 01:23:06 +1000, Who_me? <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 1/10/2011 10:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    >>> Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    >>> does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    >>> people prepare their food.

    >>
    >> Most folks don't wash their ass,

    >
    >I don't want to even guess how you arrived at that conclusion or what
    >your personal hygiene is like. I can't imagine anyone who would not wash
    >all intimate body areas as a part of standard hygiene.
    >
    >> what makes you think they'd wash a
    >> cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    >> directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    >> fridge is contaminated,

    >
    >Contaminated refrigerators are de rigueur? You do have a good imagination.
    >
    >> and then days later they prep them without any
    >> thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    >> touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    >> and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    >> poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    >> hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.

    >
    >You really are an opinionated little twit - aren't you? Absolutely full
    >of straw man opinions. You have no idea at all what most people do, and
    >no idea about the hygiene of others. You are a thoroughly nasty little
    >waste of space.


    So you readily admit to not washing your ass. And no need to travel
    so circuitive a path, next time just come out and say you're a filthy
    assed douchebag. Hmm, gotta get me a big bottle of Febreeze for
    squelching the stench of yoose brits, PU!

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >snip
    > Cantaloupe should be well scrubbed
    >>with a brush, same as potatoes... I love to scrub melons with
    >>something stiff.

    >
    >O,k., you got me, I laughed.
    >Janet US


    Oh, my... we've enjoyed that same experience!

  17. #17
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 08:34:42 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    > Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>
    >>I wonder if the people who died washed their vegetables.
    >>Somebody should study that. I always assume everybody
    >>does, but then I'm often shocked when I see how other
    >>people prepare their food.

    >
    > Most folks don't wash their ass, what makes you think they'd wash a
    > cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    > directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    > fridge is contaminated, and then days later they prep them without any
    > thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    > touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    > and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    > poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    > hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.


    lunatic.

    blake

  18. #18
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    Lucille wrote:
    >
    > I always wondered why on the cooking shows they take a
    > package of food and open it up and start using it without washing it.


    Depends what it is. I'd assume most packaged foods
    are already clean. But not fresh fruit or vegetables
    that I bagged myself.

    > And when Emeril had a show on the food channel, he came in and
    > walked by people shaking all those hands but I never saw him wash
    > his hands before handling the food. I oftened wonder how many
    > germs are on all those hands.


    He's a restauranteur. There's lots of stuff done (or not)
    in restaurants that you would do differently at home.
    One reason why I don't often eat at restaurants.

  19. #19
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    blake murphy wrote:
    >
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 08:34:42 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > > Most folks don't wash their ass, what makes you think they'd wash a
    > > cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    > > directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    > > fridge is contaminated, and then days later they prep them without any
    > > thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    > > touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    > > and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    > > poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    > > hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.

    >
    > lunatic.


    I suppose you'd have called Adolf Eichmann a lunatic too.

  20. #20
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Organic Cantaloupe problem

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:02:13 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

    > blake murphy wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 08:34:42 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most folks don't wash their ass, what makes you think they'd wash a
    >>> cantaloup... the typical shopper brings veggies home and puts them
    >>> directly into their fridge... never washing them... their entire
    >>> fridge is contaminated, and then days later they prep them without any
    >>> thought about washing... these are the same retards who're ascared to
    >>> touch raw meat without wearing welders gloves. Everyone who gets sick
    >>> and dies from listeria deserves it because it's the easist foodborne
    >>> poisoning to avoid... these are the filthy beasts whose personal
    >>> hygiene is so atrocious society is better off without them.

    >>
    >> lunatic.

    >
    > I suppose you'd have called Adolf Eichmann a lunatic too.


    um, yes. among other things.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32