Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Okra Redux

  1. #1
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Okra Redux


    Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

    WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot

    Yum.

    So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  2. #2
    Serene Vannoy Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >
    > WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >
    > Yum.
    >
    > So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    > other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
    >
    >


    Roasting or breading/frying.

    Serene

    --
    Super Cool Toy Store (I've played with them, and they really are super
    cool): http://supercooltoystore.com

    "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
    the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

  3. #3
    modom (palindrome guy) Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    <no.spam@box.[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >
    >http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >
    >WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >
    >Yum.
    >
    >So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    >other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?


    There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen.
    My bad.

    I bake it usually. For wht that's worth.
    --
    modom

    ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

  4. #4
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Serene Vannoy wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >>
    >> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >>
    >> Yum.
    >>
    >> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    >> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
    >>

    > Roasting or breading/frying.


    Roasting! I think that was what I read. Thanks. Breading and frying
    sounds good. Must be a way to work in a little bacon, too.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  5. #5
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >>
    >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >>
    >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >>
    >>Yum.
    >>
    >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

    >
    > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
    > bad.


    Thawed by then, but still wet.

    I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.

    > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
    > modom


    Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
    it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
    try it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  6. #6
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >>
    >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >>
    >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >>
    >>Yum.
    >>
    >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

    >
    > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
    > bad.


    Second Response: You're right. There is some ice there, that I didn't
    see.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  7. #7
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    In article <[email protected] .net>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >
    > WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >
    > Yum.
    >
    > So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    > other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?


    Steam it whole and uncut! The snot oozes from the cut surfaces.

    The trick is to not overcook it.

    Blanching works well too.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

  8. #8
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    In article <[email protected] .net>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg


    BTW, NICE pic!
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

  9. #9
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    In article <[email protected] .net>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Serene Vannoy wrote:
    >
    > > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > >> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    > >>
    > >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    > >>
    > >> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    > >>
    > >> Yum.
    > >>
    > >> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    > >> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
    > >>

    > > Roasting or breading/frying.

    >
    > Roasting! I think that was what I read. Thanks. Breading and frying
    > sounds good. Must be a way to work in a little bacon, too.


    Y'know, that gives me an idea!

    I've split, cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped and BBQ'd jalapeno peppers.
    I wonder how a similar recipe would work with okra pods???
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

  10. #10
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    In article <[email protected] net>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    > >>
    > >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    > >>
    > >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    > >>
    > >>Yum.
    > >>
    > >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    > >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

    > >
    > > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
    > > bad.

    >
    > Thawed by then, but still wet.
    >
    > I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.
    >
    > > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
    > > modom

    >
    > Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
    > it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
    > try it.


    There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
    in from Mexico.

    Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
    their political act together!

    They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

  11. #11
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105
    @thurston.blinkynet.net: in rec.food.cooking

    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg


    What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not putting it
    into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but your okra looks
    good enough to eat :-)

    Michael

    --
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your
    words.”
    ~Elbert Hubbard

    You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  12. #12
    modom (palindrome guy) Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:36:15 -0600, Omelet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected] net>,
    > Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    >> > wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >> >>
    >> >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >> >>
    >> >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    >> >>
    >> >>Yum.
    >> >>
    >> >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    >> >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
    >> >
    >> > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
    >> > bad.

    >>
    >> Thawed by then, but still wet.
    >>
    >> I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.
    >>
    >> > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
    >> > modom

    >>
    >> Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
    >> it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
    >> try it.

    >
    >There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
    >in from Mexico.
    >
    >Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
    >their political act together!
    >
    >They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...


    Water is an issue:
    http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_...?uNewsID=69260

    Sometimes the Rio Grande is almost dry because of all the irrigation
    from its tributaries in Mexico, especially the Concho.
    --
    modom

    ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

  13. #13
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    If you are making a vegetable soup, you can buy a handful of okra, slice
    it and add it to the pot, early. The okra will make the soup nice and
    thick.

    Becca


  14. #14
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "modom (palindrome guy)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:36:15 -0600, Omelet <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected] net>,
    > > Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    > >> > <[email protected]>
    > >> > wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    > >> >>
    > >> >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    > >> >>
    > >> >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
    > >> >>
    > >> >>Yum.
    > >> >>
    > >> >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
    > >> >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
    > >> >
    > >> > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
    > >> > bad.
    > >>
    > >> Thawed by then, but still wet.
    > >>
    > >> I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.
    > >>
    > >> > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
    > >> > modom
    > >>
    > >> Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
    > >> it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
    > >> try it.

    > >
    > >There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
    > >in from Mexico.
    > >
    > >Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
    > >their political act together!
    > >
    > >They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...

    >
    > Water is an issue:
    > http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_...cfm?uNewsID=69
    > 260
    >
    > Sometimes the Rio Grande is almost dry because of all the irrigation
    > from its tributaries in Mexico, especially the Concho.


    Even in Central Mexico?
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

  15. #15
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Omelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected] .net>,
    > Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

    >
    > BTW, NICE pic!


    Why, thank you, Om.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  16. #16
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Michael "Dog3" wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    > newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105 @thurston.blinkynet.net: in
    > rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

    >
    > What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not putting
    > it into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but your okra
    > looks good enough to eat :-)


    And in fact, I ended up eating the whole pound (about twice that dish)
    yesterday, in two shifts. My skin is only a little green today.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  17. #17
    Gregory Morrow Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux


    Becca wrote:

    > If you are making a vegetable soup, you can buy a handful of okra, slice
    > it and add it to the pot, early. The okra will make the soup nice and
    > thick.



    Yup, it's a great addition to a vegetable soup, you don't need much.
    Freshlike (frozen veg brand) makes a "Soup Mix" that includes it...


    --
    Best
    Greg



  18. #18
    koko Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >>

    Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

    koko
    --

    There is no love more sincere than the love of food
    George Bernard Shaw
    www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 01/11

  19. #19
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    koko wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
    >>>
    >>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
    >>>

    > Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.


    Thanks. To snot or not to snot; that is the question.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  20. #20
    modom (palindrome guy) Guest

    Default Re: Okra Redux

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:21:03 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
    >> newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105 @thurston.blinkynet.net: in
    >> rec.food.cooking
    >>
    >>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

    >>
    >> What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not putting
    >> it into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but your okra
    >> looks good enough to eat :-)

    >
    >And in fact, I ended up eating the whole pound (about twice that dish)
    >yesterday, in two shifts. My skin is only a little green today.


    What about your gills?
    --
    modom

    ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32