Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: New York visit

  1. #1
    injipoint Guest

    Default New York visit

    Okey Dokey

    Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    you count bookends).

    I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.

    Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.

    Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    nighttime.

    What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    usual)

    We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.

    Hoges not in WA

  2. #2
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    injipoint <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    >you count bookends).
    >
    >I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.


    >Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.


    You're kind of in the middle of nowhere. If you go across town on 34th
    Street to 3rd Avenue, you'll be very close to Sarge's Deli. I do not know
    the current status of "2nd Avenue Deli" although after they moved
    off 2nd Avenue they were in the same general area. (Did they move
    again?)

    In between where you are, and where they are, is Koreatown. You'd
    might ask around for a current recommendation or just sniff
    someplace out.

    Have fun

    Steve

  3. #3
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    On 9/26/2011 5:46 PM, injipoint wrote:
    > Okey Dokey
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).
    >
    > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >
    > Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >
    > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > nighttime.
    >
    > What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > usual)
    >
    > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    >
    > Hoges not in WA


    No suggestions, but have fun!


  4. #4
    Pico Rico Guest

    Default Re: New York visit


    "injipoint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j5qrs2$rei$[email protected]..
    > Okey Dokey
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).
    >
    > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >
    > Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >
    > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > nighttime.
    >
    > What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > usual)
    >
    > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    >
    > Hoges not in WA


    You are asking the wrong question. You should be saying "We'll do the usual
    food things, like Katz's deli, LOLA, Anise, Barbuto, etc; I want to find
    some tourist things to do in these neighborhoods."



  5. #5
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    injipoint <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Okey Dokey
    >
    >Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    >you count bookends).
    >
    >I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >
    >Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.


    I think you're close enough to kick yourself for not visiting the
    iconic Carnegie Deli.
    >
    >Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    >nighttime.


    OK-- I'll bow to any NYC denizens or experts who say different, but .
    .. . I'm an upstate NY country boy [i.e. Redneck]. I have
    avoided the city in general for 50 years and wouldn't have been caught
    there at night for all the tea in China until the rule of Rudy.

    Several years ago I had occasion to spend a few days a few blocks
    northeast of where you'll be. At 8pm we walked our 16 & 17 yr old
    to a venue in Times Square-- and at midnight I walked back to meet
    them.

    IMO- NYC [Manhattan] is a far safer [and cleaner] city than most other
    cities I've ever been in.

    There are places I wouldn't go-- but from where you are going to be I
    think you should go [especially at night] north to Times Square and
    south to the Seaport area. [I might have mis-remembered that name]

    >
    >What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    >Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    >usual)


    When you see the price of a coffee and bagel in Manhattan- you'll take
    any crumb that's 'free'.<g> Be sure to have a bagel with a
    schmear. I even eat a hot dog if I'm in the city.

    >
    >We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    >History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.


    You'll be amazed at how much you can walk to. But, take a cab, too.
    Take a few if you need to. In 60 seconds you'll know you're in the
    right one. We hopped in one in Times Square when we were headed
    to the Battery. Told the guy we were checking out the sights and he
    started bragging on *his* city. So I asked him if he'd take a
    leisurely drive through anyplace he thought might be interesting
    between there and the battery. He told me it would cost $10 more
    or so on the meter-- but he rattled off a few spots that we would go
    past on the way south along the East River. So we went for it.

    The $20 tip he got was the best buy we got in the city on that trip.

    We also got a couple of dud cabbies that week-- either mum or rude-
    but that guy made the trip. He was a third generation Irish/American
    NYer & a 2nd generation cabbie.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    On Sep 26, 5:46*pm, injipoint <indjipoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Okey Dokey
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).
    >
    > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >
    > Any recommendations. *We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >
    > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > nighttime.
    >
    > What about food vans? *Things to look for in that arena?
    > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > usual)
    >
    > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. *Things you just gotta do.
    >



    If interested in things medieval, hie thee up to ye Cloisters. Also,
    my fave is the Greek vase collection at the Met.

  7. #7
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    Steve Pope wrote:
    > injipoint <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on
    >> whether you count bookends).
    >>
    >> I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.

    >
    >> Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.

    >
    > You're kind of in the middle of nowhere.


    +1.

    Besides heading crosstown, you'll also do fine if you head up- or
    down-town. There are _tons_ of places to eat on the Upper West Side
    (Lincoln Center and above), likewise tons of good places across the park
    on the East Side, too, all this with Central Park in the middle. E.g,
    walk along Columbus Ave between 86th and 72nd - you'll find several good
    restaurants literally in every block. Amsterdam Ave and Broadway in
    that part of the world, too. And of course you can head into the
    Village, Little Italy, Chinatown - there are tons of places to go.

    -S-



  8. #8
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    Steve Pope wrote:

    > In between where you are, and where they are, is Koreatown. You'd
    > might ask around for a current recommendation or just sniff
    > someplace out.


    Kang Suh- 34th & Broadway. I was there for a repeat visit just this
    month and it was as great as ever! Open 24 hours a day. Filled with
    Koreans diners, always a good sign.

  9. #9
    Stan Horwitz Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    In article <j5qvfc$iqo$[email protected]>,
    "Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "injipoint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:j5qrs2$rei$[email protected]..
    > > Okey Dokey
    > >
    > > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > > you count bookends).
    > >
    > > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    > >
    > > Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    > >
    > > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > > nighttime.
    > >
    > > What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    > > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > > usual)
    > >
    > > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    > >
    > > Hoges not in WA

    >
    > You are asking the wrong question. You should be saying "We'll do the usual
    > food things, like Katz's deli, LOLA, Anise, Barbuto, etc; I want to find
    > some tourist things to do in these neighborhoods."


    There's a new 2nd Ave. Deli on 75th and 1st.

    As for things to do, if the weather cooporates, check out the Central
    Park Zoo. If you enjoy photography, the Center for International
    Photography is also well worth a visit. So is everything on your list,
    accept that I think the Statue of Liberty is closed for renovations now.

  10. #10
    Stan Horwitz Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    In article <j5r88i$hum$[email protected]>,
    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Steve Pope wrote:
    > > injipoint <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on
    > >> whether you count bookends).
    > >>
    > >> I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.

    > >
    > >> Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.

    > >
    > > You're kind of in the middle of nowhere.

    >
    > +1.
    >
    > Besides heading crosstown, you'll also do fine if you head up- or
    > down-town. There are _tons_ of places to eat on the Upper West Side
    > (Lincoln Center and above), likewise tons of good places across the park
    > on the East Side, too, all this with Central Park in the middle. E.g,
    > walk along Columbus Ave between 86th and 72nd - you'll find several good
    > restaurants literally in every block. Amsterdam Ave and Broadway in
    > that part of the world, too. And of course you can head into the
    > Village, Little Italy, Chinatown - there are tons of places to go.
    >
    > -S-


    And I wouldn't be afraid to go out at night. That's just silly. I was in
    that area a few months ago at the Hotel New York and I had no problem
    being out as late as 2:00am.

  11. #11
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    Stan wrote:

    > I think the Statue of Liberty is closed for renovations now.


    I saw a news article about that: Visitors cannot climb to the top of the
    statue while the renovations are in progress, but they can still walk around
    outside. That being said, the work wasn't scheduled to begin until about a
    month from now, so Hoges should still have "normal" access.

    Bob




  12. #12
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: New York visit


    "injipoint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j5qrs2$rei$[email protected]..
    > Okey Dokey
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).
    >
    > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >
    > Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >
    > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > nighttime.
    >
    > What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > usual)
    >
    > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    >
    > Hoges not in WA


    The real question is how much is your budget? The City can be unbelievably
    expensive and can also be visited on a budget.

    Carnegie Deli
    Russian Tea Room
    Patsy's (Italian)
    Gallagher's (Steak)

    Have an unlimited budget

    4 Seasons

    Want REAL Fettuccini Alfredo

    Alfredo's NYC.

    The real truth is you can't get a BAD meal in the city - from a roll
    (Kaiser) wit a schmear. To a Coffee Regular (cream & sugar)


    Dimitri


  13. #13
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    -snip-
    >The real truth is you can't get a BAD meal in the city - from a roll
    >(Kaiser) wit a schmear. To a Coffee Regular (cream & sugar)


    Tell him where to get his NY pizza -- That's another *must do*, IMO.
    We have lots of imitators upstate and once in a while they get it
    right.

    Jon Stewart names a few spots-- and shows how to eat it- in his rant
    here-
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...th-crazy-broad

    Jim

  14. #14
    George Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    On 9/26/2011 5:46 PM, injipoint wrote:
    > Okey Dokey
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).


    If you are going to be using mass transit (best way to get around) the
    MTA has a week long discount unlimited ride pass for $29. The used to
    have something called "all day fun pass" for $8.50 but they stopped that
    just before Christmas last year.

    http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

    >
    > I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.


    No delis I know of in that immediate area.

    That area is just above Koreatown. If you want to try something
    different there is an authentic and reasonable Korean restaurant called
    Kunjip on 32nd Street and it is really easy to find and a short walk
    from where you are staying. Walk over to 5th Ave and turn right, proceed
    south until 32nd st, turn right (go west) it is the first business on
    your right.

    I see they now have a web site:

    http://www.kunjip.net/

    >
    > Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >
    > Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    > nighttime.


    Why? NYC of today isn't the pre Giuliani stay at home and lock the doors
    at night city. It is a vibrant safe city and few cities look as nice at
    night.

    One thing you definitely want to see at night is Times Square. It is
    even more tourist friendly now that they closed a number of blocks of
    Broadway on either side to vehicular traffic.


    One thing I find disturbing is the way one new TV show depicts NYC. I
    was over a friends and the TV was on and one scene depicted the
    characters on a subway train that was right out of the 1970s. Graffiti
    all over and scratched windows. I haven't scene anything that looked
    like that for a really long time. The show was set in current time.

    >
    > What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    > Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    > usual)




    >
    > We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    > History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    >
    > Hoges not in WA



  15. #15
    George Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    On 9/26/2011 7:38 PM, Kalmia wrote:
    > On Sep 26, 5:46 pm, injipoint<indjipoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Okey Dokey
    >>
    >> Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    >> you count bookends).
    >>
    >> I want to visit a deli for lunch, and just to look around one.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations. We'll be staying on 35th near Penn Station.
    >>
    >> Our friends in the marina have forbidden us going out on the streets at
    >> nighttime.
    >>
    >> What about food vans? Things to look for in that arena?
    >> Breakfasts (the hotel gives us b/f if we want it but it's just the
    >> usual)
    >>
    >> We'll do the usual tourist things like Guggenheim, MOMA, Natural
    >> History Museum, Statue of Libery etc. Things you just gotta do.
    >>

    >
    >
    > If interested in things medieval, hie thee up to ye Cloisters. Also,
    > my fave is the Greek vase collection at the Met.


    The first time we went there was right before Christmas. They had
    musicians playing medieval instruments. Interesting sounds and a nice
    atmosphere.

  16. #16
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    injipoint wrote:
    >
    > Off to New York tomorrow for a 6 day visit (or 5, depending on whether
    > you count bookends).


    Go to Chinatown. Look around for a place with BBQ ducks hanging in the
    front window. Check to confirm there are no forks on the tables. If
    there are go in to the next place you see with ducks in the window.
    Have a meal there.

    Pizza. One of the dozens of places named Ray's.

  17. #17
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There's a new 2nd Ave. Deli on 75th and 1st.


    Is that in addition to the one they opened in Murray Hill
    about 5 years ago, or is it the replacement for it?

    Steve

  18. #18
    Stan Horwitz Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    In article <j5taqd$g5p$[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

    > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There's a new 2nd Ave. Deli on 75th and 1st.

    >
    > Is that in addition to the one they opened in Murray Hill
    > about 5 years ago, or is it the replacement for it?


    According to http://www.2ndavedeli.com/ it is an additional location.

  19. #19
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: New York visit

    Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:


    >> Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:


    >> >There's a new 2nd Ave. Deli on 75th and 1st.


    >> Is that in addition to the one they opened in Murray Hill
    >> about 5 years ago, or is it the replacement for it?


    >According to http://www.2ndavedeli.com/ it is an additional location.


    Thanks.

    Steve

  20. #20
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: New York visit


    "Jim Elbrecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > -snip-
    >>The real truth is you can't get a BAD meal in the city - from a roll
    >>(Kaiser) wit a schmear. To a Coffee Regular (cream & sugar)

    >
    > Tell him where to get his NY pizza -- That's another *must do*, IMO.
    > We have lots of imitators upstate and once in a while they get it
    > right.


    Sure:

    http://www.firstpizza.com/

    Lombardi's - My SIL & grandkids ate there last month.

    Dimitri


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32