Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: New trends in donut culture

  1. #41
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture


    "gregz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]r.org...
    > "Christopher M." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >> would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >> donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >> cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>
    >>
    >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > There was a shop who made the best glazed donuts, and of course I liked
    > them. Hard to find really good ones. That was their primary donut, not
    > much
    > else.
    > Other than that, I like dry crunchy donuts, walnuts, coconut, sure a
    > cherry
    > filled once in a while. Fritters, too.
    >
    > Greg


    Was it a walnut topping, or were the walnuts baked into the donut?


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  2. #42
    gregz Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    "Christopher M." <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "gregz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]r.org...
    >> "Christopher M." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >>> would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >>> donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >>> cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >>
    >> There was a shop who made the best glazed donuts, and of course I liked
    >> them. Hard to find really good ones. That was their primary donut, not
    >> much
    >> else.
    >> Other than that, I like dry crunchy donuts, walnuts, coconut, sure a
    >> cherry
    >> filled once in a while. Fritters, too.
    >>
    >> Greg

    >
    > Was it a walnut topping, or were the walnuts baked into the donut?
    >
    >
    > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)


    I imagine the topping was added after baking, then sprinkled, I mean,
    covered.
    I got these off a food truck, and have yet to seen anything like it.

    Greg

  3. #43
    sarahyoung75 Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture


    'Christopher M.[_3_ Wrote:
    > ;1735536']A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was
    > I'd probably
    > would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >
    > donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >
    > cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >
    >
    > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



    Donuts are so yummy. I like the ones with the cream in the middle. Some
    of my favourites including Boston creme and the glazed donuts. The
    coffee rolls and the strawberry cheese danishes were delicious, as well.




    --
    sarahyoung75

  4. #44
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 04:39:54 +0000, sarahyoung75
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    ....
    >Donuts are so yummy. I like the ones with the cream in the middle. Some
    >of my favourites including Boston creme and the glazed donuts. The
    >coffee rolls and the strawberry cheese danishes were delicious, as well.


    When my Ex and I were first seeing each other, I'd make her a special
    danish with cheese and a little spot of cherry, blueberry, peach and
    apple fruit! The 4 fruit topping we had.

    They were decadently delicious! :-)

    John Kuthe...

  5. #45
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:46:31 -0400, "Christopher M."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >
    >
    >W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >


    Having worked in the donut shop, I could make myself many things. But
    I think my favorite was to take a devil's food cake donut, mash it
    deep into the chocolate icing and then into the chopped pecans to get
    as many pecans on it as possible! We could never sell what I made, at
    least not without charging a LOT more than a usual devil's food cake
    donut, but MAN they were delicious! :-)

    John Kuthe...

  6. #46
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture


    "sarahyoung75" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > 'Christopher M.[_3_ Wrote:
    >> ;1735536']A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was
    >> I'd probably
    >> would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >>
    >> donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >>
    >> cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>
    >>
    >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    >
    > Donuts are so yummy. I like the ones with the cream in the middle. Some
    > of my favourites including Boston creme and the glazed donuts. The
    > coffee rolls and the strawberry cheese danishes were delicious, as well.


    Hostess used to make a Boston-cream pocket pie with a chocolatey glaze. It
    was great. I make them from scratch sometimes.

    Coffee rolls are tasty. Frosted coffee rolls are even better.


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  7. #47
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture


    "John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:46:31 -0400, "Christopher M."
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >>would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >>donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >>cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>
    >>
    >>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >>

    >
    > Having worked in the donut shop, I could make myself many things. But
    > I think my favorite was to take a devil's food cake donut, mash it
    > deep into the chocolate icing and then into the chopped pecans to get
    > as many pecans on it as possible! We could never sell what I made, at
    > least not without charging a LOT more than a usual devil's food cake
    > donut, but MAN they were delicious! :-)
    >
    > John Kuthe...


    Devil's food cake is good. But they don't make Devil Dogs like they used to.


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  8. #48
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:34:14 -0400, "Christopher M."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:46:31 -0400, "Christopher M."
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >>>would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >>>donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >>>cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >>>

    >>
    >> Having worked in the donut shop, I could make myself many things. But
    >> I think my favorite was to take a devil's food cake donut, mash it
    >> deep into the chocolate icing and then into the chopped pecans to get
    >> as many pecans on it as possible! We could never sell what I made, at
    >> least not without charging a LOT more than a usual devil's food cake
    >> donut, but MAN they were delicious! :-)
    >>
    >> John Kuthe...

    >
    >Devil's food cake is good. But they don't make Devil Dogs like they used to.
    >
    >
    >W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >


    One time we were out of devis's food cake donut mix so my boss got me
    a box of cocoa to put in the regular cake donut mix to make devil's
    food. He gave me no recipe and left it up to my judgement how much to
    use per batch. Big mistake! We had some oif the best devil's food cake
    donuts for a while until I used up the whole box of cocoa way earlier
    than my boss thought it would last! He got some regular devil's food
    cake donut mix in after that! :-)

    But BOY were those some good devil's food cake donuts! Rich and
    chocolately!! :-)

    John Kuthe...

  9. #49
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture


    "John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:34:14 -0400, "Christopher M."
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected] ..
    >>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:46:31 -0400, "Christopher M."
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>A few years ago, if you asked me what my favorite donut was I'd probably
    >>>>would have told you to go screw. But there seems to be a renaissance in
    >>>>donuts these days. There are many new favorites, such as apple-cider and
    >>>>cherry. What donuts are you prone to eating?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Having worked in the donut shop, I could make myself many things. But
    >>> I think my favorite was to take a devil's food cake donut, mash it
    >>> deep into the chocolate icing and then into the chopped pecans to get
    >>> as many pecans on it as possible! We could never sell what I made, at
    >>> least not without charging a LOT more than a usual devil's food cake
    >>> donut, but MAN they were delicious! :-)
    >>>
    >>> John Kuthe...

    >>
    >>Devil's food cake is good. But they don't make Devil Dogs like they used
    >>to.
    >>
    >>
    >>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >>

    >
    > One time we were out of devis's food cake donut mix so my boss got me
    > a box of cocoa to put in the regular cake donut mix to make devil's
    > food. He gave me no recipe and left it up to my judgement how much to
    > use per batch. Big mistake! We had some oif the best devil's food cake
    > donuts for a while until I used up the whole box of cocoa way earlier
    > than my boss thought it would last! He got some regular devil's food
    > cake donut mix in after that! :-)
    >
    > But BOY were those some good devil's food cake donuts! Rich and
    > chocolately!! :-)
    >
    > John Kuthe...


    I've never made devil's food cake from scratch. I'm going to put that on my
    to-do list.


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  10. #50
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On Apr 23, 9:14*pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    > "z z" <angie-...@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    > >I have tried crullers several times-don't like them. They are eggy, they
    > > remind me of popovers with that awful yellow stuff inside, and they are
    > > never crisp enough.

    >
    > I'm not crazy for popovers either. Kind of soggy.
    >


    You don't know how to make them drier, then. After they have baked,
    you put a slit in the top or side, or just open them, and leave them
    in a warm oven to dry the insides. Myself, I like the eggy insides.

    N.

  11. #51
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On 4/27/2012 5:47 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 9:14 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >> "z z"<angie-...@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>
    >>> I have tried crullers several times-don't like them. They are eggy, they
    >>> remind me of popovers with that awful yellow stuff inside, and they are
    >>> never crisp enough.

    >>
    >> I'm not crazy for popovers either. Kind of soggy.
    >>

    >
    > You don't know how to make them drier, then. After they have baked,
    > you put a slit in the top or side, or just open them, and leave them
    > in a warm oven to dry the insides. Myself, I like the eggy insides.
    >
    > N.


    Popovers were a hot food item here a decade ago but you hardly hear
    about them anymore. I've made them a couple of times but never
    understood the appeal. They're sorta like Jiffy Pop in that they are an
    amazing sight to see.

  12. #52
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    dsi1 wrote:

    > Popovers were a hot food item here a decade ago but you hardly hear
    > about them anymore. I've made them a couple of times but never
    > understood the appeal. They're sorta like Jiffy Pop in that they are an
    > amazing sight to see.


    A more versatile cousin of popovers is cream puffs. You can fill them
    with savory or sweet foods. Here's a reliable recipe:

    <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cream-puffs-recipe/index.html>


  13. #53
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On 4/27/2012 11:19 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
    > dsi1 wrote:
    >
    >> Popovers were a hot food item here a decade ago but you hardly hear
    >> about them anymore. I've made them a couple of times but never
    >> understood the appeal. They're sorta like Jiffy Pop in that they are an
    >> amazing sight to see.

    >
    > A more versatile cousin of popovers is cream puffs. You can fill them
    > with savory or sweet foods. Here's a reliable recipe:
    >
    > <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cream-puffs-recipe/index.html>
    >


    Cream puffs make a lot more sense than popovers cause they're filled
    with something tasty - unless you consider air to be tasty. It's a
    popular item in Hawaii. Beard Papa, a Japan company seems to be doing
    well here and on the mainland.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOAJpkvr_hQ

  14. #54
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 4/27/2012 11:19 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
    >> dsi1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Popovers were a hot food item here a decade ago but you hardly hear
    >>> about them anymore. I've made them a couple of times but never
    >>> understood the appeal. They're sorta like Jiffy Pop in that they are an
    >>> amazing sight to see.

    >>
    >> A more versatile cousin of popovers is cream puffs. You can fill them
    >> with savory or sweet foods. Here's a reliable recipe:
    >>
    >> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cream-puffs-recipe/index.html>
    >>

    >
    >Cream puffs make a lot more sense than popovers cause they're filled
    >with something tasty - unless you consider air to be tasty. It's a
    >popular item in Hawaii. Beard Papa, a Japan company seems to be doing
    >well here and on the mainland.
    >


    I don't eat the air. I eat the eggy pastry [with a ton of butter].

    I make cream puffs or napoleons once every couple years--- but
    I make popovers a few times a year.

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOAJpkvr_hQ

    [and while that cream puff looks good-- it isn't at all like my
    popover shell]

    Jim

  15. #55
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On 4/27/2012 12:40 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
    > dsi1<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/27/2012 11:19 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
    >>> dsi1 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Popovers were a hot food item here a decade ago but you hardly hear
    >>>> about them anymore. I've made them a couple of times but never
    >>>> understood the appeal. They're sorta like Jiffy Pop in that they are an
    >>>> amazing sight to see.
    >>>
    >>> A more versatile cousin of popovers is cream puffs. You can fill them
    >>> with savory or sweet foods. Here's a reliable recipe:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cream-puffs-recipe/index.html>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Cream puffs make a lot more sense than popovers cause they're filled
    >> with something tasty - unless you consider air to be tasty. It's a
    >> popular item in Hawaii. Beard Papa, a Japan company seems to be doing
    >> well here and on the mainland.
    >>

    >
    > I don't eat the air. I eat the eggy pastry [with a ton of butter].
    >
    > I make cream puffs or napoleons once every couple years--- but
    > I make popovers a few times a year.
    >
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOAJpkvr_hQ

    > [and while that cream puff looks good-- it isn't at all like my
    > popover shell]
    >
    > Jim


    I'll have to order one the next chance I get although the chances of me
    going into a joint that serves popovers seems remote. I predict that I
    will eat one in Vegas even though I have no plans to ever go there. :-)

    I suppose that I could make some but the truth is that I like to eat
    other people's cooking, not mine. Just knowing how it's made takes all
    the discovery and the magic away from my dishes - a cook's fate. That's
    the breaks.


  16. #56
    Hell Toupee Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On 4/27/2012 10:47 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 9:14 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >> "z z"<angie-...@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>
    >>> I have tried crullers several times-don't like them. They are eggy, they
    >>> remind me of popovers with that awful yellow stuff inside, and they are
    >>> never crisp enough.

    >>
    >> I'm not crazy for popovers either. Kind of soggy.
    >>

    >
    > You don't know how to make them drier, then. After they have baked,
    > you put a slit in the top or side, or just open them, and leave them
    > in a warm oven to dry the insides. Myself, I like the eggy insides.


    If you don't like the soggy insides of popovers, adjust the recipe a
    bit to make them all outsides and no middle.

    Egg whites have a drying effect, so replace the whole eggs with egg
    whites. Also replace the all-purpose flour with bread flour. This
    produces a popover that is all shell - and a deliciously crunchy,
    crispy shell.

    You can do the same with your cream puff or eclair batters if you
    prefer those to be more crisp as well.


  17. #57
    sf Guest

    Default Re: New trends in donut culture

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:10:36 -0500, Hell Toupee <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 4/27/2012 10:47 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > > On Apr 23, 9:14 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    > >> "z z"<angie-...@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> I'm not crazy for popovers either. Kind of soggy.
    > >>

    > >
    > > You don't know how to make them drier, then. After they have baked,
    > > you put a slit in the top or side, or just open them, and leave them
    > > in a warm oven to dry the insides. Myself, I like the eggy insides.

    >
    > If you don't like the soggy insides of popovers, adjust the recipe a
    > bit to make them all outsides and no middle.
    >
    > Egg whites have a drying effect, so replace the whole eggs with egg
    > whites. Also replace the all-purpose flour with bread flour. This
    > produces a popover that is all shell - and a deliciously crunchy,
    > crispy shell.
    >
    > You can do the same with your cream puff or eclair batters if you
    > prefer those to be more crisp as well.


    Oh, I might even try it sometime... not that I've had any problem with
    the regular kind, but thanks!

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32