Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

  1. #1
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    I saw a new product today, which I had to try.
    It was so new, it wasn't in the store's computer
    and it caused a bit of a fuss because this store
    usually is pretty good about keeping the computer
    updated. As I was leaving, it appeared they were
    entering it into the computer.

    It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    well-rounded flavor probably due to using several
    types of peppers expertly blended.

    I was suspicious of the new product. When Tobasco
    extended their francise to a chipotle version,
    it was terrible. The green Tobasco is even worse.
    Only the original Tobasco is good -- I can sip that
    like a fine wine.

    Fortunately, the chipotle version of Cholula is
    very good. It shares that well-rounded attribute
    of regular Cholula, but it has powerful chipotle
    flavor. If you're a Cholula fan, you'll love it!

    For a chipotle sauce, I'd still give my highest
    recommendation to the Bufalo sauce, but that's
    a much different sauce. It's thicker and pure
    chipotle, as well as being cheaper. But if you
    want a more sophisticated sauce, the new Cholula
    is in a class by itself.

  2. #2
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On 2009-10-19, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > very good. It shares that well-rounded attribute
    > of regular Cholula, but it has powerful chipotle
    > flavor. If you're a Cholula fan, you'll love it!


    Since I consider chipotle anything a close cousin to extract of
    ashtray, Cholula's venture into this done-to-death arena remains to be
    seen. Surprisingly, chipotle Tobasco is the first chipotle I could
    even tolerate without almost hurling. Hope Cholula has a small size
    to sample.

    nb





  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

    > It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    > Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    > hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    > because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    > well-rounded flavor probably due to using several
    > types of peppers expertly blended.


    It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    royalties for coming up with that idea.

    -sw

  4. #4
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    notbob wrote:
    >
    > On 2009-10-19, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > very good. It shares that well-rounded attribute
    > > of regular Cholula, but it has powerful chipotle
    > > flavor. If you're a Cholula fan, you'll love it!

    >
    > Since I consider chipotle anything a close cousin to extract of
    > ashtray, Cholula's venture into this done-to-death arena remains to be
    > seen. Surprisingly, chipotle Tobasco is the first chipotle I could
    > even tolerate without almost hurling. Hope Cholula has a small size
    > to sample.


    In that case, I can just about guarantee you won't
    like the Cholula chipotle sauce. It has a strong
    chipotle flavor, nicely balanced with guajillo,
    arbol, and pequin, but with chipotle dominating.

    The very first time I had chipotle peppers, I didn't
    like them. But those were whole, dried, and smoked
    peppers. As I recall, they tasted like they were
    smoked over used automobile tires.

    But I've learned to like chipotle, as have millions
    of others, so I think it can be accurately stated
    that they're good food even if you don't like them.
    Sort of like how some people don't like cilantro,
    and many more have a militant disgust for okra.

    I'll admit that the first several time I tried
    cilantro, I did detect that unpleasant soapy flavor
    its detractors always mention, but it's been many
    years since I detected that flavor at all. I
    probably eat 2 or 3 heads of cilantro per week.
    I don't know what causes that flavor, but it seems
    like once you've had enough of it, you lose the
    ability to detect it.

  5. #5
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:38:44 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2009-10-19, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> very good. It shares that well-rounded attribute
    >> of regular Cholula, but it has powerful chipotle
    >> flavor. If you're a Cholula fan, you'll love it!

    >
    > Since I consider chipotle anything a close cousin to extract of
    > ashtray, Cholula's venture into this done-to-death arena remains to be
    > seen.


    That's what I just wrote of the Bufalo sauce, but I snipped that
    part. Tastes like chewing tobacco to me. There *are* very good
    chipotle sauces, though.

    I still have 2 or 3 bottles if anybody can't find it where they
    live. I bought them about a month ago.

    -sw

  6. #6
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    In article <dh2s[email protected]>,
    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    > > It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    > > Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    > > hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    > > because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    > > well-rounded flavor probably due to using several
    > > types of peppers expertly blended.

    >
    > It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    > royalties for coming up with that idea.


    Cholula is currently my favorite. I'm willing to pay the price,
    especially since a bottle lasts me several months. Last time I went
    Costco, I looked for Tapatio for my daughter. None, but they had
    Cholula for about US$9.00, for two 12oz bottles.

    I'm not a big fan of chipotle, so I won't be looking for that.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  7. #7
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On 2009-10-19, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In that case, I can just about guarantee you won't
    > like the Cholula chipotle sauce.


    I'll decide that.

    > peppers. As I recall, they tasted like they were
    > smoked over used automobile tires.


    So, you've been there!

    > But I've learned to like chipotle......


    I didn't think I'd ever like chipotle, but Tobasco proved me wrong.
    Since Cholula is my hands-down fave Mex hot sauce, I'll definitely
    give it a try.

    What I'd really kill for is a new source for Taste of Thai lime and chili
    hot suace, which is no longer imported from Singapore.

    nb

  8. #8
    SCP Guest

    Default REC Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:02:19 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    -->On 2009-10-19, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    -->
    -->> In that case, I can just about guarantee you won't
    -->> like the Cholula chipotle sauce.
    -->
    -->I'll decide that.
    -->
    -->> peppers. As I recall, they tasted like they were
    -->> smoked over used automobile tires.
    -->
    -->So, you've been there!
    -->
    -->> But I've learned to like chipotle......
    -->
    -->I didn't think I'd ever like chipotle, but Tobasco proved me wrong.
    -->Since Cholula is my hands-down fave Mex hot sauce, I'll definitely
    -->give it a try.
    -->
    -->What I'd really kill for is a new source for Taste of Thai lime and chili
    -->hot suace, which is no longer imported from Singapore.
    -->
    -->nb



    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Thai Chili Sauce

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    9 Birds Eye chilies, finely chopped
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, minced
    1 cup sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 tablespoon salt

    In a saucepan combine the chopped chilies, sugar, water, rice vinegar, paprika,
    garlic and salt.

    Bring to the boil then simmer gently until the sugar dissolves and the mixture
    begins to thicken to form a syrup.


    Now add the Thai fish sauce and lime juice and simmer for another 1 minute.


    Transfer into a jar and cool before serving.

    Yield:
    "4 cups"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 794 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories
    from fat); trace Protein; 208g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
    Cholesterol; 6402mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 14
    Other Carbohydrates.

    NOTES : A recipe using authentic Thai ingredients and lots of fresh birds eye
    chilies.

  9. #9
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    Dan Abel wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    >>> Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    >>> hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    >>> because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    >>> well-rounded flavor probably due to using several
    >>> types of peppers expertly blended.

    >> It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    >> royalties for coming up with that idea.

    >
    > Cholula is currently my favorite. I'm willing to pay the price,
    > especially since a bottle lasts me several months. Last time I went
    > Costco, I looked for Tapatio for my daughter. None, but they had
    > Cholula for about US$9.00, for two 12oz bottles.
    >
    > I'm not a big fan of chipotle, so I won't be looking for that.
    >

    Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.

    --
    Jean B.

  10. #10
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    "Jean B." wrote:
    >
    > Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    > I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    > various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    > this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    > nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.


    I paid $2.59 for a 5 oz. bottle. I doubt I will
    buy it again, unless I was preparing food for other
    people. I prefer stronger, simpler flavors closer
    to the edge of unpleasant. The well-rounded taste
    of the Cholula products is closer to what the hoi
    polloi can tolerate, while at the same time stressing
    their ability to handle heat. Only stress one
    dimension at a time, when dealing with hoi polloi.

  11. #11
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Mon 19 Oct 2009 06:09:43p, Jean B. told us...

    > Dan Abel wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    >>>> Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    >>>> hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    >>>> because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    >>>> well-rounded flavor probably due to using several types of peppers
    >>>> expertly blended.
    >>> It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    >>> royalties for coming up with that idea.

    >>
    >> Cholula is currently my favorite. I'm willing to pay the price,
    >> especially since a bottle lasts me several months. Last time I went
    >> Costco, I looked for Tapatio for my daughter. None, but they had
    >> Cholula for about US$9.00, for two 12oz bottles.
    >>
    >> I'm not a big fan of chipotle, so I won't be looking for that.
    >>

    > Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    > I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    > various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    > this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    > nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.
    >


    Maybe it's where I live, but in small shops and supermarkets in central AZ,
    most hot sauces, including Cholula are not that expensive. Cholula is one
    of my favorites, as well, although I have never cared for the flavor of
    chipotle in anything. I doubt I'll try their new sauce.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  12. #12
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    Mark Thorson wrote:
    > "Jean B." wrote:
    >> Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    >> I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    >> various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    >> this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    >> nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.

    >
    > I paid $2.59 for a 5 oz. bottle. I doubt I will
    > buy it again, unless I was preparing food for other
    > people. I prefer stronger, simpler flavors closer
    > to the edge of unpleasant. The well-rounded taste
    > of the Cholula products is closer to what the hoi
    > polloi can tolerate, while at the same time stressing
    > their ability to handle heat. Only stress one
    > dimension at a time, when dealing with hoi polloi.


    Uh-oh...

    --
    Jean B.

  13. #13
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 19 Oct 2009 06:09:43p, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> Dan Abel wrote:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    >>>>> Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    >>>>> hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    >>>>> because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    >>>>> well-rounded flavor probably due to using several types of peppers
    >>>>> expertly blended.
    >>>> It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    >>>> royalties for coming up with that idea.
    >>> Cholula is currently my favorite. I'm willing to pay the price,
    >>> especially since a bottle lasts me several months. Last time I went
    >>> Costco, I looked for Tapatio for my daughter. None, but they had
    >>> Cholula for about US$9.00, for two 12oz bottles.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not a big fan of chipotle, so I won't be looking for that.
    >>>

    >> Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    >> I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    >> various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    >> this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    >> nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.
    >>

    >
    > Maybe it's where I live, but in small shops and supermarkets in central AZ,
    > most hot sauces, including Cholula are not that expensive. Cholula is one
    > of my favorites, as well, although I have never cared for the flavor of
    > chipotle in anything. I doubt I'll try their new sauce.
    >

    Uh-oh. I like chipotles! And now that you mention it, this
    product could very well be in the vastly expanded hot sauce
    sections of various markets here.

    --
    Jean B.

  14. #14
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

    > I saw a new product today, which I had to try.
    > It was so new, it wasn't in the store's computer
    > and it caused a bit of a fuss because this store
    > usually is pretty good about keeping the computer
    > updated. As I was leaving, it appeared they were
    > entering it into the computer.
    >
    > It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    > Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    > hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    > because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    > well-rounded flavor probably due to using several
    > types of peppers expertly blended.
    >
    > I was suspicious of the new product. When Tobasco
    > extended their francise to a chipotle version,
    > it was terrible. The green Tobasco is even worse.
    > Only the original Tobasco is good -- I can sip that
    > like a fine wine.
    >
    > Fortunately, the chipotle version of Cholula is
    > very good. It shares that well-rounded attribute
    > of regular Cholula, but it has powerful chipotle
    > flavor. If you're a Cholula fan, you'll love it!
    >
    > For a chipotle sauce, I'd still give my highest
    > recommendation to the Bufalo sauce, but that's
    > a much different sauce. It's thicker and pure
    > chipotle, as well as being cheaper. But if you
    > want a more sophisticated sauce, the new Cholula
    > is in a class by itself.


    i'll keep an eye out to see if it pops up in maryland.

    your pal,
    blake

  15. #15
    Feranija Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 19 Oct 2009 06:09:43p, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> Dan Abel wrote:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:37:15 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> It's Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Regular Cholula
    >>>>> Hot Sauce is perhaps the most expensive Mexican
    >>>>> hot sauce, and yet it's very popular. That's
    >>>>> because it's good -- it has a very balanced and
    >>>>> well-rounded flavor probably due to using several types of peppers
    >>>>> expertly blended.
    >>>> It's the wooden cap. They're still paying some marketing guy
    >>>> royalties for coming up with that idea.
    >>> Cholula is currently my favorite. I'm willing to pay the price,
    >>> especially since a bottle lasts me several months. Last time I went
    >>> Costco, I looked for Tapatio for my daughter. None, but they had
    >>> Cholula for about US$9.00, for two 12oz bottles.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not a big fan of chipotle, so I won't be looking for that.
    >>>

    >> Coincidentally, I just got a bottle of the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
    >> I went to a wretched flea market, and a little booth with
    >> various hot sauces was the only thing of interest. I have ordered
    >> this sauce from afar before, so it was nice to find it fairly
    >> nearby at, IIRC, $5.99.
    >>

    >
    > Maybe it's where I live, but in small shops and supermarkets in central AZ,
    > most hot sauces, including Cholula are not that expensive. Cholula is one
    > of my favorites, as well, although I have never cared for the flavor of
    > chipotle in anything. I doubt I'll try their new sauce.


    It's being said Mr. Underbridge from Bermuda exports his products
    all over US; if you can find, try "Sherry peppers sauce" (hot),
    which is prepared with a dash of rum and some bird-eye hot peppers
    imported to Bermuda from US, and soaked in Spanish sherry wine, with
    various spices.

    That's one of rare hot sauces I happen to like. Next year I plan to
    make my own version of sherry peppers sauce by "my own" (balcony
    grown) bird-eye Chiltepin peppers covered with rum in a decanter and
    a dry sherry to the top of the bottle. After several months I hope
    I'll get a tasty variant of the Bermuda hot sauce.

    Still thinking should I use Chiltepin peppers (small and round, no
    larger than a pea) which will look nice in a decanter in a kitchen.



  16. #16
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: NEW PRODUCT: Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

    On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:46:03 -0700, Feranija wrote:

    >
    > It's being said Mr. Underbridge from Bermuda exports his products
    > all over US; if you can find, try "Sherry peppers sauce" (hot),
    > which is prepared with a dash of rum and some bird-eye hot peppers
    > imported to Bermuda from US, and soaked in Spanish sherry wine, with
    > various spices.
    >
    > That's one of rare hot sauces I happen to like. Next year I plan to
    > make my own version of sherry peppers sauce by "my own" (balcony
    > grown) bird-eye Chiltepin peppers covered with rum in a decanter and
    > a dry sherry to the top of the bottle. After several months I hope
    > I'll get a tasty variant of the Bermuda hot sauce.
    >
    > Still thinking should I use Chiltepin peppers (small and round, no
    > larger than a pea) which will look nice in a decanter in a kitchen.


    be sure to report back if you do.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32