Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: new cook in the house

  1. #1
    bulka Guest

    Default new cook in the house

    My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.

  2. #2
    Kris Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Oct 14, 10:39*pm, bulka <working.artists.work...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. *She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. *Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. *But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, *fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". *I'm trying not to feel violated.


    That would be hard. Maybe set up days where you cook & days when she
    cooks. Maybe that'll give her some distance.

    Or, you could just always cook and she'll always clean up. (Dream
    scenario, IMHO).

    Kris

  3. #3
    PeterL Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka <[email protected]> wrote in news:6568fc49-3907-4db3-
    [email protected]:

    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.
    >



    The first thing my SO did when she moved in with me was rearrange things to
    how *she* wanted them in the kitchen.

    I watched her do it, and waited till she was finished, then asked, "Are you
    going to be in here every day cooking 98% of the meals?? No? Then put
    everything back where it was before, and leave it alone."

    I feel your pain :-)


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia


    If we are not meant to eat animals,
    why are they made of meat?

  4. #4
    Gloria P Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.



    Just feel relieved that you have help. When she leaves you can
    have a cleanout of the kitchen and put everything back the way
    YOU prefer. Meanwhile, relax and enjoy.

    gloria p

  5. #5
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Oct 14, 10:39*pm, bulka <working.artists.work...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. *She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. *Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. *But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, *fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". *I'm trying not to feel violated.


    Unless she's serving up Chef B, I'd sit back and let her have at it.
    Enjoy the break.

  6. #6
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house


    "bulka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.


    I'm not sure how I'd feel. I don't mind the "using" so much as the "not
    putting back where it was" Certain tools belong in certain places.
    Important too, that the other person cleans up after themselves. I hate
    walking into the kitchen and finding the remains of a previous project. I
    don't mind helping and cleaning as we go, but when I want to make breakfast,
    last night's dishes should be gone.

    You'll probably appreciate the help and adapt though. .



  7. #7
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:

    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help.


    That's a tough job. For sure.

    > But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.


    I had my windows replaced a couple of years ago, and I noticed
    that there was a tool left upstairs where they were done. A 5 in 1,
    I'd never seen one before, you know I had to get my own the next
    day. Anyway, I brought it downstairs so it wouldn't be left behind.
    This one guy was heating his lunch when he saw it on the table.
    His reaction was funny. He froze, Is that mine. Like he wasn't
    kidding around. Ooops. I said yeah, it was upstairs. He was
    happy again but just for a second you got that "Who touched my
    tools" feeling.

    Anyway, I'm fussy about how my kitchen stuff is cleaned and put
    away, I think I understand how you feel a little bit. This is just one
    more accomodation you're stuck with because of that nasty disease.

    nancy



  8. #8
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house



    At the risk of going OT, but positivly - a 5 in 1 is a very useful
    shape for a piece of metal. Who invented ths? Mostly for jobs you
    don't want to have to do, but makes them easier.

    The window guys heat lunch in your house?

  9. #9
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Oct 14, 7:39*pm, bulka <working.artists.work...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. *She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. *Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. *But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, *fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". *I'm trying not to feel violated.


    Life is short. Be glad you have a sister. My sister is a meth addict.
    I'd give anything to have her cleaned up and in my kitchen to help or
    just hang out.

  10. #10
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.


    I used to work for a management company and we had a guy that was doing
    a repair on an apartment unit and evidentially, he used the tenant's
    toothbrush to freshen up because, as we all know, proper dental
    maintenance is so important these days. His co-workers ratted-out on him
    and he got his butt canned but gee, how much could a little daub of
    toothpaste cost? Two cents? Less than that? :-)

  11. #11
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house


    > I used to work for a management company and we had a guy that was doing
    > a repair on an apartment unit and evidentially, he used the tenant's
    > toothbrush to freshen up because, as we all know, proper dental
    > maintenance is so important these days. His co-workers ratted-out on him
    > and he got his butt canned but gee, how much could a little daub of
    > toothpaste cost? Two cents? Less than that? :-)


    It's a toothbrush! Goes in my mouth, not your mouth. You are a
    worker. Touch what you are working on, none of the rest of my stuff.
    And I say this as someone who has been much more often the hired
    lackey than the employer.

    Are we drifting here?


  12. #12
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house



    bulka wrote:
    >
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.


    LOL! Every time my grandmother came to stay with us, she rearranged the
    kitchen to suit herself. Since she was an exceptionally good cook, we
    just shrugged and ate very well

    But yes, can't stand anyone else messing in my kitchen. Go get your own
    :P

  13. #13
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:
    > At the risk of going OT, but positivly - a 5 in 1 is a very useful
    > shape for a piece of metal. Who invented ths? Mostly for jobs you
    > don't want to have to do, but makes them easier.


    I wondered, where has this been all my life!?
    >
    > The window guys heat lunch in your house?


    Yeah, he asked if he could use the microwave.

    nancy

  14. #14
    Lynn from Fargo Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Oct 15, 6:42*pm, "Nancy Young" <rjynly...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > bulka wrote:
    > > At the risk of going OT, but positivly - a 5 in 1 is a very useful
    > > shape for a piece of metal. *Who invented ths? *Mostly for jobs you
    > > don't want to have to do, but makes them easier.

    >
    > I wondered, where has this been all my life!?
    >
    >
    >
    > > The window guys heat lunch in your house?

    >
    > Yeah, he asked if he could use the microwave. *
    >
    > nancy


    Last week my darling daughter came over for coffee/tea. She "helped"
    me clear off my big table in the living/dining/everything-else room
    where I do a lot of prep. (No counter space.) Now I can't find my
    good vegetable peeler or my brand new Chicago Cutlery Santoku (?)
    knife - cost more than all my older knives put together and I was
    just really getting good with it!

    Lynn in Fargo
    Remembering the terrifying day when my newly retired father rearranged
    all the kitchen cupboards. My mother must have been a saint!

  15. #15
    Bob Muncie Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:
    > My sister came up to help with alz dad. She thinks she's a better
    > cook than I think she is. Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. But,
    > there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, fridge.
    > When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    > "don't touch the other guy's tools". I'm trying not to feel violated.


    Why not try to do something together as a project? I can see several
    benefits for that effort, as long as you take some type of calming med
    before hand ;-)

    Bob

  16. #16
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    bulka wrote:
    >> I used to work for a management company and we had a guy that was doing
    >> a repair on an apartment unit and evidentially, he used the tenant's
    >> toothbrush to freshen up because, as we all know, proper dental
    >> maintenance is so important these days. His co-workers ratted-out on him
    >> and he got his butt canned but gee, how much could a little daub of
    >> toothpaste cost? Two cents? Less than that? :-)

    >
    > It's a toothbrush! Goes in my mouth, not your mouth. You are a
    > worker. Touch what you are working on, none of the rest of my stuff.
    > And I say this as someone who has been much more often the hired
    > lackey than the employer.
    >
    > Are we drifting here?
    >


    I don't like touching other people's stuff - you have nothing to worry
    about from me. My point is that people in your house are capable of
    doing more with your stuff than you can imagine.

    We might be drifting however, to get back on topic, you should be more
    gracious with you sister, after all, she is helping you out. Another
    thing to consider is that you probably wouldn't enjoy being in strange
    surroundings so you should do what you can to make her feel more
    comfortable.

    I don't have much that I consider my personal property - just my wallet,
    my keys and my toothbrush. That's it. There's no way that I could
    consider kitchen stuff my personal items. The difference between men and
    women?

  17. #17
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Oct 15, 11:48 pm, Bob Muncie <bob.mun...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Bob


    We're working it out. Her chili last night wasn't what I would have
    made, but you can't really screw up meat, beans, tomato.

    And I may be overdoing the calming meds.

  18. #18
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    ..
    >
    > I don't have much that I consider my personal property - just my wallet,
    > my keys and my toothbrush. That's it. There's no way that I could
    > consider kitchen stuff my personal items. The difference between men and
    > women?


    More danger of drifting but, if I care about what I'm doing, my
    equipment is important. The sister complains that she doesn't know
    where anything is, but won't ask. Puts things where I can't find
    them. A new cook in a kitchen is like bringing a new cat into the
    house - it might work out, but there might be incidents that result in
    stray scraps of bloody fur.

  19. #19
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:05:37 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:

    > On Oct 14, 7:39*pm, bulka <working.artists.work...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> My sister came up to help with alz dad. *She thinks she's a better
    >> cook than I think she is. *Whatever - I'm thankful for the help. *But,
    >> there is somebody else in my kitchen, pantry, spice cabinet, *fridge.
    >> When I was a contractor, the first, not needed to be spoken rule was
    >> "don't touch the other guy's tools". *I'm trying not to feel violated.

    >
    > Life is short. Be glad you have a sister. My sister is a meth addict.
    > I'd give anything to have her cleaned up and in my kitchen to help or
    > just hang out.


    i thought someone on a meth jag would do an excellent job cleaning?

    your pal,
    blake

  20. #20
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: new cook in the house

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:52:17 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

    > bulka wrote:
    >>> I used to work for a management company and we had a guy that was doing
    >>> a repair on an apartment unit and evidentially, he used the tenant's
    >>> toothbrush to freshen up because, as we all know, proper dental
    >>> maintenance is so important these days. His co-workers ratted-out on him
    >>> and he got his butt canned but gee, how much could a little daub of
    >>> toothpaste cost? Two cents? Less than that? :-)

    >>
    >> It's a toothbrush! Goes in my mouth, not your mouth. You are a
    >> worker. Touch what you are working on, none of the rest of my stuff.
    >> And I say this as someone who has been much more often the hired
    >> lackey than the employer.
    >>
    >> Are we drifting here?
    >>

    >
    > I don't like touching other people's stuff - you have nothing to worry
    > about from me. My point is that people in your house are capable of
    > doing more with your stuff than you can imagine.
    >
    > We might be drifting however, to get back on topic, you should be more
    > gracious with you sister, after all, she is helping you out. Another
    > thing to consider is that you probably wouldn't enjoy being in strange
    > surroundings so you should do what you can to make her feel more
    > comfortable.
    >
    > I don't have much that I consider my personal property - just my wallet,
    > my keys and my toothbrush. That's it. There's no way that I could
    > consider kitchen stuff my personal items. The difference between men and
    > women?


    dunno. i'm a man, and i get antsy with people using the kitchen stuff.

    your pal,
    blake

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32