Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A new Asian market in town

  1. #1
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default A new Asian market in town

    I stopped by on my way home from work. They didn't have the Patak's
    chilli pickle I was looking for, but they had lots of interesting stuff.

    I bought a jar of red curry paste, some shredded green papaya, baby bok
    choy, gunpowder tea, shirataka noodles, pickled ginger, and a package of
    "sweet and sour mango" that I thought was going to be candied fruit.
    Imagine my surprise when I opened it up on the drive home and bit into a
    piece. It's a mild pickle with a slightly-cooked texture, flavored with
    salt, sugar, vinegar, and licorice. Maybe a little chili. :-P It's
    nasty. But when I thinly sliced a couple of pieces and ate it with some
    rice and fish it was OK. I'll probably finish the package but don't
    think I'll ever buy it again.

    Now I gotta find a recipe for green papaya salad...

    Bob


  2. #2
    maxine Guest

    Default Re: A new Asian market in town

    On Mar 2, 9:26*pm, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    > I stopped by on my way home from work. *They didn't have the Patak's
    > chilli pickle I was looking for, but they had lots of interesting stuff.
    >
    > I bought ... a package of
    > "sweet and sour mango" that I thought was going to be candied fruit.
    > Imagine my surprise when I opened it up on the drive home and bit into a
    > piece. *It's a mild pickle with a slightly-cooked texture, flavored with
    > salt, sugar, vinegar, and licorice. Maybe a little chili. *:-P *It's
    > nasty. *But when I thinly sliced a couple of pieces and ate it with some
    > rice and fish it was OK. *I'll probably finish the package but don't
    > think I'll ever buy it again.


    That was my husband's reaction. I wondered just how bad it could be,
    since I had looked at the package and noticed it said "pickled" on the
    slap-on label. He tossed them before I could sample.

    maxine in ri

  3. #3
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: A new Asian market in town

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now I gotta find a recipe for green papaya salad...


    I like to include a fraction of shredded ginger, and
    season it mostly with rice vinegar and red pepper. I'm sure
    there are tons of variations.

    Steve

  4. #4
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: A new Asian market in town

    maxine wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 9:26 pm, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    >> I stopped by on my way home from work. They didn't have the Patak's
    >> chilli pickle I was looking for, but they had lots of interesting stuff.
    >>
    >> I bought ... a package of
    >> "sweet and sour mango" that I thought was going to be candied fruit.
    >> Imagine my surprise when I opened it up on the drive home and bit into a
    >> piece. It's a mild pickle with a slightly-cooked texture, flavored with
    >> salt, sugar, vinegar, and licorice. Maybe a little chili. :-P It's
    >> nasty. But when I thinly sliced a couple of pieces and ate it with some
    >> rice and fish it was OK. I'll probably finish the package but don't
    >> think I'll ever buy it again.

    >
    > That was my husband's reaction. I wondered just how bad it could be,
    > since I had looked at the package and noticed it said "pickled" on the
    > slap-on label. He tossed them before I could sample.
    >
    > maxine in ri



    Imagine pickled raw potato. With licorice. (BTW, it's not really sweet
    nor sour)

    Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32