Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

  1. #21
    David Harmon Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:49:15 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
    <[email protected]> wrote,
    >There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    >most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.


    Postum is already gone. My grandfather often drank it with
    breakfast.

  2. #22
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)


    On 5-Oct-2012, David Harmon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:49:15 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
    > <[email protected]> wrote,
    > >There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    > >most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.

    >
    > Postum is already gone. My grandfather often drank it with
    > breakfast.

    Postum, like many other things popular in the past but nearly forgotten
    today, is available from The Vermont Country Store.
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t/Postum/64003
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  3. #23
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:05:06 -0700, David Harmon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:49:15 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
    ><[email protected]> wrote,
    >>There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    >>most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.

    >
    >Postum is already gone. My grandfather often drank it with
    >breakfast.


    I see Postum in the coffee aisle all the time.
    http://postum.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Postum-Origina...eywords=postum


  4. #24
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    Christopher Helms wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 11:49 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 19:28:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>> The Old English cheese is a fairly old product. It came out at a time
    >>> when marketing of food products in general was new and due to a
    >>> variety of reasons, a lot of people didn't have access to any kind of
    >>> "special" cheese.

    >> Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    >> extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on. Just
    >> like Armour dried beef, TAB cola (sorry Melba), Cheerwine soda,
    >> horehound candy, Ovaltine, wheat nuts, Underwood deviled ham, Cracker
    >> Jack, and shredded wheat.
    >>
    >> There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    >> most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >
    > Some others that are disappearing or gone:
    >
    > City Chicken
    > Beechnut Gum
    > Postum
    > Canned hams are getting rarer all the time.
    > Smelt
    > Unstriped watermelons
    > Persimmons
    > Mincemeat
    >



    Sunshine Lemon Coolers cookies. (Keebler bought-out Sunshine Bakeries
    about 20 years ago just to kill all of Sunshine's products.)

    I've recently seen counterfeits, but they are not very good. The look
    the same, and the box is an obvious ripoff of the original, but taste bland.

    This thread is depressing. :'-(

    Bob

  5. #25
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)


    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Christopher Helms wrote:
    >> On Oct 4, 11:49 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 19:28:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>>> The Old English cheese is a fairly old product. It came out at a time
    >>>> when marketing of food products in general was new and due to a
    >>>> variety of reasons, a lot of people didn't have access to any kind of
    >>>> "special" cheese.
    >>> Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    >>> extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on. Just
    >>> like Armour dried beef, TAB cola (sorry Melba), Cheerwine soda,
    >>> horehound candy, Ovaltine, wheat nuts, Underwood deviled ham, Cracker
    >>> Jack, and shredded wheat.
    >>>
    >>> There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    >>> most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >>
    >> Some others that are disappearing or gone:
    >>
    >> City Chicken
    >> Beechnut Gum
    >> Postum
    >> Canned hams are getting rarer all the time.
    >> Smelt
    >> Unstriped watermelons
    >> Persimmons
    >> Mincemeat
    >>

    >
    >
    > Sunshine Lemon Coolers cookies. (Keebler bought-out Sunshine Bakeries
    > about 20 years ago just to kill all of Sunshine's products.)
    >
    > I've recently seen counterfeits, but they are not very good. The look the
    > same, and the box is an obvious ripoff of the original, but taste bland.
    >
    > This thread is depressing. :'-(


    I haven't bought cookies in quite a while. The last few I tried were
    cheapened up to the point that they tasted nothing like what they used to.



  6. #26
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods

    On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:02:59 PM UTC-5, Steve Pope wrote:
    > In article <k4n3kv$r9e$[email protected]>, Tracy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >

    >
    > >

    >
    > >On 10/5/2012 12:50 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

    >
    > >> Tracy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>> I saw wheat nuts recently at a local grocery store. It's been a long

    >
    > >>> time since I last saw them stocked.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Are wheat nuts the same as wheat berries? If not, what exactly

    >
    > >> are they?

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Steve

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >

    >
    > >Not like wheat berries. Difficult to describe - a processed snack

    >
    > >food meant to taste like nuts, but are nut-free.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >http://www.wheatnuts.com/

    >
    >
    >
    > Whoa. 85% calories from fat! So, nothing like wheat berries.
    >
    > You're healthier eating potato chips.
    >

    If that 85% came from healthful, high monounsaturate oil instead of crappy, high omega 6 soybean oil, it would be very good for you.
    >
    > Steve


    --Bryan

  7. #27
    David Harmon Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 01:47:20 GMT in rec.food.cooking, "l, not -l"
    <[email protected]> wrote,
    >Postum, like many other things popular in the past but nearly forgotten
    >today, is available from The Vermont Country Store.
    >http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t/Postum/64003


    $16.95 a jar? I think the decimal point is off by one place.

  8. #28
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods

    On 10/6/2012 8:30 PM, David Harmon wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 01:47:20 GMT in rec.food.cooking, "l, not -l"
    > <[email protected]> wrote,
    >> Postum, like many other things popular in the past but nearly forgotten
    >> today, is available from The Vermont Country Store.
    >> http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t/Postum/64003

    >
    > $16.95 a jar? I think the decimal point is off by one place.
    >



    No. The Vt. Country Store has many unusual or long-discontinued items
    for which they charge dearly. Still when you are desperate to find
    something (like your Grandmother's favorite perfume) they may have it.

    gloria p

  9. #29
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 19:30:27 -0700, David Harmon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 01:47:20 GMT in rec.food.cooking, "l, not -l"
    > <[email protected]> wrote,
    > >Postum, like many other things popular in the past but nearly forgotten
    > >today, is available from The Vermont Country Store.
    > >http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t/Postum/64003

    >
    > $16.95 a jar? I think the decimal point is off by one place.


    That stuff isn't cheap! http://postum.com/how-to-order/

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  10. #30
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:52:46 -0600, gloria p <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 10/6/2012 8:30 PM, David Harmon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 01:47:20 GMT in rec.food.cooking, "l, not -l"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote,
    >>> Postum, like many other things popular in the past but nearly forgotten
    >>> today, is available from The Vermont Country Store.
    >>> http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...t/Postum/64003

    >>
    >> $16.95 a jar? I think the decimal point is off by one place.
    >>

    >
    >
    >No. The Vt. Country Store has many unusual or long-discontinued items
    >for which they charge dearly. Still when you are desperate to find
    >something (like your Grandmother's favorite perfume) they may have it.
    >
    >gloria p


    We're going up to Vermont next month and that is one of the stops we
    are making. Some of the prices seem very high, but they have the
    raisin cookies I like too.

  11. #31
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:52:46 -0600, gloria p wrote:

    > Still when you are desperate to find
    > something (like your Grandmother's favorite perfume) they may have it.


    Chloe body soap, for example. It comes in a Turtle-Wax container with
    a buff pad.

    Grandma will love this for $55! <click!>

    -sw

  12. #32
    Kswck Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)



    "Sqwertz" wrote in message news:[email protected]..

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 19:28:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

    > The Old English cheese is a fairly old product. It came out at a time
    > when marketing of food products in general was new and due to a
    > variety of reasons, a lot of people didn't have access to any kind of
    > "special" cheese.


    Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on. Just
    like Armour dried beef, TAB cola (sorry Melba), Cheerwine soda,
    horehound candy, Ovaltine, wheat nuts, Underwood deviled ham, Cracker
    Jack, and shredded wheat.

    There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. But I'm sure
    most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.

    -sw

    Brown Edge Wafers

  13. #33
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On 2012-10-05, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Spoon-size is fine....


    But soooo boring. Kick out the jams!

    Find a box of the full-sized biscuits and put two on an oven proof
    plate/pan. Put two full pats of real butter on top of each biscuit,
    and put them under a hot broiler until butter is fully melted and
    there is a slight toasting to the biscuit top. While still hot, put
    in bowl, drizzle with a sickeningly generous covering of honey, then
    top with cold whole milk. Partake.

    I have been known to suffer through times of my life when episodes of
    this affliction have reached levels of pure nirvana. Fortunately,
    these attacks have become fewer in occurance and intesity as I age and
    sadly forget the pedestrian existence of the lowly whole shredded
    wheat biscuit.



    nb

    --
    Definition of objectivism:
    "Eff you! I got mine."
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/

  14. #34
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    Kswck wrote:

    > Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    > extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on.


    You can buy sliced sharp cheddar. How is Olde Englishe different?


  15. #35
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    George M. Middius wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Kswck wrote:
    >
    > > Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    > > extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on.

    >
    > You can buy sliced sharp cheddar. How is Olde Englishe different?


    It's a particular brand that tastes better is all.

    --


  16. #36
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    George M. Middius wrote:
    > Kswck wrote:
    >
    >> Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    >> extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on.

    >
    > You can buy sliced sharp cheddar. How is Olde Englishe different?
    >



    It's like Velveeta (but lower moisture) made out of extra sharp cheddar.

    Did you get one of those 5# loaves of government cheese back in the
    80's? It's like that, only much sharper.

    Bob

  17. #37
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    > George M. Middius wrote:
    > > Kswck wrote:
    > >
    > >> Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    > >> extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on.

    > >
    > > You can buy sliced sharp cheddar. How is Olde Englishe different?
    > >

    >
    > It's like Velveeta (but lower moisture) made out of extra sharp cheddar.


    It's mild cheddar, definitely not sharp. I just tasted it last week.

    G.

  18. #38
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)


    On 7-Oct-2012, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

    > zxcvbob wrote:
    > >
    > > George M. Middius wrote:
    > > > Kswck wrote:
    > > >
    > > >> Old English Cheese is one of those products that is destined for
    > > >> extinction once the current generation gets older and moves on.
    > > >
    > > > You can buy sliced sharp cheddar. How is Olde Englishe different?
    > > >

    > >
    > > It's like Velveeta (but lower moisture) made out of extra sharp cheddar.

    >
    > It's mild cheddar, definitely not sharp. I just tasted it last week.
    >
    > G.

    Sliced Old English? If so, where did you get it; my local cheesemonger
    claims it went out of production several years ago.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  19. #39
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods

    On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 02:22:56 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

    > Sliced Old English? If so, where did you get it; my local cheesemonger
    > claims it went out of production several years ago.


    Which is probably right because I haven't seen the slices for a while.
    Kraft doesn't even list the Old English spreads on their website.
    Extinction may be sooner than expected.

    I think it's kinda ironic that a cheesemonger offered up information
    about Old English Cheese without looking at you funny.

    -sw

  20. #40
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Nearly Extinct Foods (was: REC: Crabbies)

    On Oct 5, 6:49*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:05:06 -0700, David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:49:15 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
    > ><swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote,
    > >>There's tons of others I just can't think of right now. *But I'm sure
    > >>most of them are stocked in Sarasota, Florida.

    >
    > >Postum is already gone. *My grandfather often drank it with
    > >breakfast.

    >
    > I see Postum in the coffee aisle all the time.http://postum.com/http://www.amazon....E/ref=sr_1_1?s...


    The story on their website makes it clear this is a reproduction or re-
    creation of Postum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32