Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: National Martini Day

  1. #1
    gtr Guest

    Default National Martini Day

    After 10 days with a godawful cold, even if there's some hacking and
    wheezing, I intend to honor this day in the way it should be honored.

    While looking it up online the first notable hit I got on "national
    martini day" was some damn tequila drink. Feh!

    Certainly who ever cobbled this holy day together for honors
    undoubtedly wants to make "martini" mean as much as possible I'll be
    continuing with my traditional variety. A martini is not a vodka drink,
    but a gin drink. A "vodka martini" is a vodka drink. Hell, there's
    probably a vodka old-fashoned and a vodka Manhattan for all those
    people adverse to the taste of spirits.

    Anyway, my preferred concoction (this week)

    Leopold Brothers small batch gin, 5 parts
    Lillet Blanc as a stand-in for a more traditionalvermouth, 1 part
    Two drops Fee Bros. Lemon bitters
    One small Spanish pimento-stuffed olive impaled on an antique ivory stabulator

    It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    for the other 51 weeks of the year.
    --
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?


  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    > After 10 days with a godawful cold, even if there's some hacking and
    > wheezing, I intend to honor this day in the way it should be honored.
    >
    > While looking it up online the first notable hit I got on "national
    > martini day" was some damn tequila drink. Feh!


    There's a site called The Gin, and How To Stir It but it's not devoted
    to gin drinks. In fact I didn't see one gin drink on the first page.
    In any case, I'll be celebrating National Martini Day early (on the
    17th) because my partner in crime and martini's will be busy on the
    19th.

    <snip>
    >
    > Anyway, my preferred concoction (this week)
    >
    > Leopold Brothers small batch gin, 5 parts
    > Lillet Blanc as a stand-in for a more traditionalvermouth, 1 part
    > Two drops Fee Bros. Lemon bitters
    > One small Spanish pimento-stuffed olive impaled on an antique ivory stabulator
    >
    > It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    > for the other 51 weeks of the year.


    Tune this in while you're sipping on National Martini Day or when
    you're in training for the big day - if you'd like some mood music
    with your martini http://www.martiniinthemorning.com

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:

    > It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    > for the other 51 weeks of the year.


    Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
    (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).

    -sw

  4. #4
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:
    >
    > > It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    > > for the other 51 weeks of the year.

    >
    > Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
    > (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
    >
    > -sw


    I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    I make Vodka Martinis.:

    <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
    ink>
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

  5. #5
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:24:52 -0500, Omelet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    >I make Vodka Martinis.:


    I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
    with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
    (Takes up too much room in the glass!)

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  6. #6
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:06:16 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..
    >I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
    >with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
    >(Takes up too much room in the glass!)


    You don't like Delilahs?

    Christine
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:24:52 -0500, Omelet <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    > >I make Vodka Martinis.:

    >
    > I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
    > with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
    > (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd


    <grins> But I LIKE olives!
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

  8. #8
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On 6/12/2010 6:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
    > In article<[email protected]>,
    > Sqwertz<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    >>> for the other 51 weeks of the year.

    >>
    >> Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
    >> (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    > I make Vodka Martinis.:
    >
    > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
    > ink>


    Pretty glass!

    I make mine with 2 ounces Absolut vodka. I rinse the measuring thing
    with Dry Vermouth (Usually Martini & Rossi) then shake it over ice in an
    aluminum shaker. I keep the martini glasses in the freezer. I put 5
    olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  9. #9
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On 6/12/2010 7:52 PM, Omelet wrote:
    > In article<[email protected] >,
    > Terry Pulliam Burd<[email protected]> wrote:


    >> I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
    >> with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
    >> (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
    >>
    >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    >
    > <grins> But I LIKE olives!


    Veggies are healthy for you! Then again I think olives might be fruit.
    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  10. #10
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <4c143368$0$18772$[email protected]>,
    Janet Wilder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 6/12/2010 6:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
    > > In article<[email protected]>,
    > > Sqwertz<[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
    > >>> for the other 51 weeks of the year.
    > >>
    > >> Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
    > >> (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
    > >>
    > >> -sw

    > >
    > > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    > > I make Vodka Martinis.:
    > >
    > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
    > > ink>

    >
    > Pretty glass!


    Thanks! :-)

    >
    > I make mine with 2 ounces Absolut vodka. I rinse the measuring thing
    > with Dry Vermouth (Usually Martini & Rossi) then shake it over ice in an
    > aluminum shaker. I keep the martini glasses in the freezer. I put 5
    > olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.


    <lol> I like that concept...
    I also use Martini and Rossi.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. --Alex Levine

  11. #11
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <4c1433b3$0$18772$[email protected]>,
    Janet Wilder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 6/12/2010 7:52 PM, Omelet wrote:
    > > In article<[email protected] >,
    > > Terry Pulliam Burd<[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > >> I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
    > >> with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
    > >> (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
    > >>
    > >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    > >
    > > <grins> But I LIKE olives!

    >
    > Veggies are healthy for you! Then again I think olives might be fruit.


    Likely classified as berries... but aren't fruits as good for you as
    veggies? <g>
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. --Alex Levine

  12. #12
    sf Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:25:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I put 5
    > olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.


    You can count the olives as an appetizer too. Olive, the versatile
    vegetable.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  13. #13
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:25:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I put 5
    > > olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

    >
    > You can count the olives as an appetizer too. Olive, the versatile
    > vegetable.


    <lol>

    Your 5 servings for the day!;-D
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

  14. #14
    Lew Hodgett Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    RE: Subject

    A question.

    Why are martinis like a woman's breasts?

    The answer:

    Usually one is not enough and three are too many.

    <sexist pig suit on>

    Lew



  15. #15
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On 2010-06-12 16:24:52 -0700, Omelet said:

    > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    > I make Vodka Martinis.:


    A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
    not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
    are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
    and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
    infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

    A most surprising test came from a newpaper or online article that was
    trying to introduce people to the real functionality of vermouth in a
    gin martini. For this he suggested a few mini-tini's be constructed
    where the proportions are 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to 1 and straight
    gin. We sat down and made very small martini's and tasted each.

    It was amazing. The taste of the drink was not so dramatically
    modified, even with the 2 to 1 mix. But the mouth-feel, texture and
    finish were dramatically different. I settled in at 4 or 5 to 1 and
    that's how I order them in a bar/restaurant, though frequently,
    unaccustomed to making martini's with vermouth they have wide
    differences. I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
    slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..

    Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.

    Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
    even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
    wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
    unrefrigerated.
    --
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?


  16. #16
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:32 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A most surprising test came from a newpaper or online article that was
    >trying to introduce people to the real functionality of vermouth in a
    >gin martini. For this he suggested a few mini-tini's be constructed
    >where the proportions are 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to 1 and straight
    >gin. We sat down and made very small martini's and tasted each.
    >

    Okay, I think I am a little dense here. I think you are talking about
    proportions of gin to vermouth, correct? Not vermouth to gin? It is
    a little confusing, the way it is written.

    I ask, cause I would like to try this.

    Christine
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:32 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
    > slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..
    >

    I think they have been trained by all the people who just want them to
    whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

    > Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.


    I was surprised too about how a little more vermouth improved it and
    am not so dictatorial anymore when ordering. One of these days I will
    try a "perfect" (gin) martini... maybe on National Martini Day.


    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  18. #18
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:45:02 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

    > RE: Subject
    >
    > A question.
    >
    > Why are martinis like a woman's breasts?
    >
    > The answer:
    >
    > Usually one is not enough and three are too many.
    >
    > <sexist pig suit on>
    >
    > Lew


    i first heard that joke in the movie 'the parallax view.' it adds
    something when the teller is a cocktail waitress tricked out like a dallas
    cowboys cheerleader (complete with drawl) coming on to warren beatty.
    followed by one of the truly great fight scenes in movie history.

    (great flick in the paranoia genre, a little like 'the manchurian
    candidate.' well worth seeing.)

    your pal,
    blake


  19. #19
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    In article <2010061310253260798-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-06-12 16:24:52 -0700, Omelet said:
    >
    > > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
    > > I make Vodka Martinis.:

    >
    > A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
    > not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
    > are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
    > and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
    > infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.


    I don't like Juniper. <g>
    >
    > A most surprising test came from a newpaper or online article that was
    > trying to introduce people to the real functionality of vermouth in a
    > gin martini. For this he suggested a few mini-tini's be constructed
    > where the proportions are 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to 1 and straight
    > gin. We sat down and made very small martini's and tasted each.
    >
    > It was amazing. The taste of the drink was not so dramatically
    > modified, even with the 2 to 1 mix. But the mouth-feel, texture and
    > finish were dramatically different. I settled in at 4 or 5 to 1 and
    > that's how I order them in a bar/restaurant, though frequently,
    > unaccustomed to making martini's with vermouth they have wide
    > differences. I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
    > slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..
    >
    > Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.
    >
    > Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
    > even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
    > wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
    > unrefrigerated.


    I actually like Vermouth straight.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. --Alex Levine

  20. #20
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: National Martini Day

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:16:10 -0600, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You don't like Delilahs?


    Can't say I've ever had one, but I just looked it up and I suspect I
    would, as the Cointreau would kill some of the taste of the gin!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32