Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    plastic wrap in March of 2001. It has served me quite well all these
    years for $24. And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.

    Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.

    Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!

    :-)

    Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. The food service grade seems to
    be a much better quality. A very good investment for so little money.

    -sw

  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    > without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!


    Correction: The new model is a 915C. Not 2,500ft but 3,000 ft! Talk
    an investment, it matured 20% in 8 years. I think that's slightly
    better than U.S. Savings bonds!

    -sw

  3. #3
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:


    >
    >Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    >plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. The food service grade seems to
    >be a much better quality. A very good investment for so little money.
    >
    >-sw


    I'm not sure what brand we have, but it has a slide cutter on the top
    now, not the serrated edge. Much nicer to work with.

    Our first roll lasted for years too. Sure is handy for many uses.

  4. #4
    horn Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    In alt.food.barbecue Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    > plastic wrap in March of 2001. It has served me quite well all these
    > years for $24. And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    > sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.


    > Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    > tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.


    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    > without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!


    Ahhh,yes.

    Another perfect day in paradise.

    horn
    --
    Remove +STRING to reply by email

  5. #5
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    > plastic wrap in March of 2001. It has served me quite well all these
    > years for $24. And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    > sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.
    >
    > Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    > tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.
    >
    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    > without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    > plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. The food service grade seems to
    > be a much better quality. A very good investment for so little money.
    >
    > -sw


    I don't know if Reynolds makes it for them, but Sam's club sells high
    quality plastic wrap in commercial style dispensers in 12" and 18" inch
    sizes.

    I keep an 18" in the barbecue setup and a 12" in the kitchen. I find both
    sizes very useful. I could never go back to using the consumer style
    packages.

    Buying cheap doesn't pay with this stuff. I have a roll of 12" food service
    wrap from Restaurant Depot, the cheap stuff with their house label. It
    sucks. It takes two to three times as much to get a seal that is strong
    enough, if you even breathe on it the stuff clumps together irretrievably,
    and you cannot unwrap and rewrap something because even if you can find the
    edge of the ultra-thin stuff, it will clump up. So working on a piece of
    cheese, kept tightly wrapped, means throwing away all the wrap every time
    you cut some off.

    My last rolls from Sam's lasted a long time too... the 18" probably lasted
    three years, which includes being used for barbecue contests, and the
    kitchen 12" lasted 5. By the time it ran out, my Sam's membership had
    expired, I had gone through two years of Costco which already expired, and I
    had moved on to Restaurant Depot. It's tough stuff, handles nicely, and last
    time I checked was still reasonably priced. I just need someone to get me
    into Sam's!

    Foil follows a similar trail. The commercial style 12" and 18" packs are the
    way to go. Coscto foil is the preferred foil on the barbecue circuit around
    here and it's very good stuff, heavy enough not to let wrapped ribs leak and
    so forth, although the wise Q-er always double wraps. Again, RD sells foil
    in commercial packs, but it's junk. You can quadruple wrap with that stuff
    and there's still the risk of springing a leak.

    MartyB



  6. #6
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    >> And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    >> without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!

    >
    > Correction: The new model is a 915C. Not 2,500ft but 3,000 ft! Talk
    > an investment, it matured 20% in 8 years. I think that's slightly
    > better than U.S. Savings bonds!
    >
    > -sw


    Where do you buy the Reynold's brand food service wrap? IIRC it's not sold
    at RD, Costco, or Sam's. But I suspect they make the product sold at Sam's.

    MartyB



  7. #7
    ChairMan Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    >>> And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    >>> without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!

    >>
    >> Correction: The new model is a 915C. Not 2,500ft but 3,000 ft!
    >> Talk
    >> an investment, it matured 20% in 8 years. I think that's slightly
    >> better than U.S. Savings bonds!
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > Where do you buy the Reynold's brand food service wrap? IIRC it's not
    > sold at RD, Costco, or Sam's. But I suspect they make the product
    > sold at Sam's.
    > MartyB


    Sams use to sell it, but dropped it for their house brand bakers and
    chefs?
    Is that the brand you're using and is it any good? Reviews are mixed



  8. #8
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:30:03 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    >>> And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    >>> without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!

    >>
    >> Correction: The new model is a 915C. Not 2,500ft but 3,000 ft! Talk
    >> an investment, it matured 20% in 8 years. I think that's slightly
    >> better than U.S. Savings bonds!
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >Where do you buy the Reynold's brand food service wrap? IIRC it's not sold
    >at RD, Costco, or Sam's. But I suspect they make the product sold at Sam's.


    I have a 300' box of Reynold's Premium plastic wrap... but I rarely
    use any plastic wrap, there's still about 100' remaining and I bought
    it some 15 years ago. I prefer to store left overs in covered glass
    or plastic containers, or in the SS pot in which it was cooked... for
    microwaving I cover the bowl with a small plate. The last time I used
    plastic wrap was a small piece to cover the end of a cut watermelon.
    I've seen people rip off a length of plastic wrap more than twice the
    length needed to do the job. I rarely use aluminum foil either. I'm
    very frugal with disposables, I even use both sides of TP. LOL

  9. #9
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    ChairMan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >> Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:13:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    >>>> And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    >>>> without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!
    >>>
    >>> Correction: The new model is a 915C. Not 2,500ft but 3,000 ft!
    >>> Talk
    >>> an investment, it matured 20% in 8 years. I think that's slightly
    >>> better than U.S. Savings bonds!
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> Where do you buy the Reynold's brand food service wrap? IIRC it's not
    >> sold at RD, Costco, or Sam's. But I suspect they make the product
    >> sold at Sam's.
    >> MartyB

    >
    > Sams use to sell it, but dropped it for their house brand bakers and
    > chefs?
    > Is that the brand you're using and is it any good? Reviews are mixed


    It wasn't B&C. If that's what they sell now, I'll just go to Costco. If one
    can find the mil thickness rating, that would help considerably.




  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:40:10 +0000 (UTC), horn wrote:

    > Ahhh,yes.
    >
    > Another perfect day in paradise.
    >
    > horn


    Horn - Long time so see! When you lurk, you *really* keep a low
    profile! Smoking a pork butt on Saturday - stop by and pick some up
    to take home! :-)

    -sw

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:28:30 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > I keep an 18" in the barbecue setup and a 12" in the kitchen. I find both
    > sizes very useful. I could never go back to using the consumer style
    > packages.


    I always have a 12" of a 200ft roll (still retail size) which I use
    semi-often. I just don't have room in the kitchen for both boxes (or
    even one). The boxes are pretty big and awkward to find space for -
    which is their major drawback.

    > So working on a piece of
    > cheese, kept tightly wrapped, means throwing away all the wrap every time
    > you cut some off.


    I use ziplocs for most of my cheeses since I'll be opening and closing
    them often.

    > I just need someone to get me
    > into Sam's!


    Sam's allows you to shop there with a 10% upcharge. They keep going
    back and forth on this but last time I called a month ago that was the
    deal.

    -sw

  12. #12
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:30:03 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > Where do you buy the Reynold's brand food service wrap? IIRC it's not sold
    > at RD, Costco, or Sam's. But I suspect they make the product sold at Sam's.


    I got the first one at AceMart Restaurant Supply, the second one at
    CostCo. Like I said, that was 8 years ago.

    -sw

  13. #13
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:13:18 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
    > I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    >
    > plastic wrap in March of 2001. It has served me quite well all these
    >
    > years for $24. And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    >
    > sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    >
    > tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.
    >
    >
    >
    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    >
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    >
    > without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!
    >
    >
    >
    > :-)
    >
    >
    >
    > Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    >
    > plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. The food service grade seems to
    >
    > be a much better quality. A very good investment for so little money.
    >
    >
    >
    > -sw


    Do you wax so poetic about your toidy tissue as well? Every cook should have
    a closet full of that too.


  14. #14
    Chemo Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Sep 12, 9:13*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    > plastic wrap in March of 2001. *It has served me quite well all these
    > years for $24. *And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    > sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.
    >
    > Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    > tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.
    >
    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! *It's like having an brand new dog
    > without having to go to the kennel! *I can't wait to break it in!
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    > plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. *The food service grade seems to
    > be a much better quality. *A very good investment for so little money.
    >
    > -sw


    Andy might have some in that dumpster of his...

  15. #15
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:28:30 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >
    >> I keep an 18" in the barbecue setup and a 12" in the kitchen. I find
    >> both sizes very useful. I could never go back to using the consumer
    >> style packages.

    >
    > I always have a 12" of a 200ft roll (still retail size) which I use
    > semi-often. I just don't have room in the kitchen for both boxes (or
    > even one). The boxes are pretty big and awkward to find space for -
    > which is their major drawback.
    >
    >> So working on a piece of
    >> cheese, kept tightly wrapped, means throwing away all the wrap every
    >> time you cut some off.

    >
    > I use ziplocs for most of my cheeses since I'll be opening and closing
    > them often.
    >
    >> I just need someone to get me
    >> into Sam's!

    >
    > Sam's allows you to shop there with a 10% upcharge. They keep going
    > back and forth on this but last time I called a month ago that was the
    > deal.
    >
    > -sw


    Well with the news that they switched brands to the Bakers and Chefs, which
    has been a relatively crappy brand in other purchases I have made there,
    I'll just do Costco.

    Need a new roll though. The crap from RD tears and clumps and is a real pain
    in the ass, especially when trying to roll out and form skinless sausage
    chubs.

    MartyB



  16. #16
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > I'm very frugal with disposables, I even use both sides of TP. LOL


    Whoa....I'll pretend I didn't read that.
    Go feed your cute deer and birds, Sheldon. LOL!

    G.

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 05:46:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

    > I'm not sure what brand we have, but it has a slide cutter on the top
    > now, not the serrated edge. Much nicer to work with.


    Yeah, I beat the hell out of the cutter strip (and board it's attached
    to) on the previous roll. I think this new roll has the
    cutter-zipper-thingamajig on it - that's the "C" in the model number.
    With the cutter I won't have to have as much elbow room to rip it off
    against the strip.

    -sw

  18. #18
    Brick Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died


    On 13-Sep-2012, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought my 2,000 feet x 18"in roll of Reynolds Model 914 food-service
    > plastic wrap in March of 2001. It has served me quite well all these
    > years for $24. And has quite a bit of history written on it since it
    > sat next to the land-line in an era without cell phones.
    >
    > Sadly, tonight it rolled over and out and passed its last plastic
    > tonight while covering of big bowl of Texas Red.
    >
    > Fortunately I bought I new one 8 years ago, anticipating this day.
    > And this next one is 2,500 feet! It's like having an brand new dog
    > without having to go to the kennel! I can't wait to break it in!
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Every BBQer and/or baker should have a huge roll of wide (18")
    > plastic/saran wrap at their disposal. The food service grade seems to
    > be a much better quality. A very good investment for so little money.
    >
    > -sw


    Mine is only 12" wide, but is/was 3000 ft. Can't remember when I
    bought it, but it's still pretty heavy. Too narrow for many applications,
    but stores easier then 18" would. Mine is kept on a shelf in the
    cabinet under my butcher block island where it can be deployed in
    ten seconds or less. If I live long enough to use it up, I'll suggest my
    nurse buy the wider roll.

    --
    Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

  19. #19
    Big Jim Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died


    "Nunya Bidnits" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k2tg9r$fo5$[email protected]..
    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:28:30 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep an 18" in the barbecue setup and a 12" in the kitchen. I find
    >>> both sizes very useful. I could never go back to using the consumer
    >>> style packages.

    >>
    >> I always have a 12" of a 200ft roll (still retail size) which I use
    >> semi-often. I just don't have room in the kitchen for both boxes (or
    >> even one). The boxes are pretty big and awkward to find space for -
    >> which is their major drawback.
    >>
    >>> So working on a piece of
    >>> cheese, kept tightly wrapped, means throwing away all the wrap every
    >>> time you cut some off.

    >>
    >> I use ziplocs for most of my cheeses since I'll be opening and closing
    >> them often.
    >>
    >>> I just need someone to get me
    >>> into Sam's!

    >>
    >> Sam's allows you to shop there with a 10% upcharge. They keep going
    >> back and forth on this but last time I called a month ago that was the
    >> deal.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > Well with the news that they switched brands to the Bakers and Chefs,
    > which has been a relatively crappy brand in other purchases I have made
    > there, I'll just do Costco.
    >
    > Need a new roll though. The crap from RD tears and clumps and is a real
    > pain in the ass, especially when trying to roll out and form skinless
    > sausage chubs.
    >
    > MartyB
    >


    I been buying 2 36 count bags of Pillsbury froze biscuits ($5.78 bag) a
    month for several years 3 or 4 months ago they change over to "Daily Chef"
    (house)brand 40 to a bag for right at the same price. I was ready to raise
    some HELL because them Pillsbury froze biscuits is better than 90% of even
    homade ones. So I tries them.
    First thing I noticed when cooking the first 3 biscuit batch was the smell
    of butter as they were finishing.
    Results: They just as good as Pillsbury, you get 4 extra and the smell of
    butter.
    I have them for breakfast almost every morning. With a mug of fresh ground
    coffee. I just took up regular coffer drinking in the last 5 years. After I
    became single I found a mug that holds 4 cups so that is how much I drink.
    When I shop I tend to stick to store brands, because to my tastes they are
    as good or better. Now days though you have to watch, for low and behold
    Major Brands are as cheap as store.
    Just my $2.00 worth cause 2 cents ain't worth much anymore.
    BeeJay



  20. #20
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: My Reynolds 914 Just Died

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 05:46:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure what brand we have, but it has a slide cutter on the top
    >> now, not the serrated edge. Much nicer to work with.

    >
    > Yeah, I beat the hell out of the cutter strip (and board it's attached
    > to) on the previous roll. I think this new roll has the
    > cutter-zipper-thingamajig on it - that's the "C" in the model number.
    > With the cutter I won't have to have as much elbow room to rip it off
    > against the strip.
    >
    > -sw


    I prefer the serrated cutter to the zipper thing. The last package, Sam's,
    outlasted the product inside it and still worked perfectly. The zippers seem
    to get screwed up eventually, especially if the package gets moved and
    knocked around some like it does in barbecue comps.

    MartyB



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32