Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

  1. #41
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Deep fried wonton/spring roll with fire roasted veggie filling WAS Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    pavane <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "pavane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:MM29s.714203$[email protected]..
    >>
    >> "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> ..................
    >>> What do you mean by spring roll wrapper? They are made from flour
    >>> and are meant to be fried. *Summer* roll wrappers (Banh trang) are
    >>> the rice and tapioca one that are not cooked. At some point in the
    >>> late 80's the translations got screwed up and now everybody
    >>> mistakes spring rolls for summer rolls.
    >>> ..................

    >>
    >> Orlando has two excellent Pho houses downtown,
    >> Little Saigon and Pho 88. Little Saigon calls them
    >> Summer Rolls; Pho 88 calls them Spring Rolls. Both
    >> quite authentic restaurants. Go figure.
    >>
    >> pavane

    >
    > Oh yeah, both refer to the uncooked rice wrapper
    > rolls, served with the peanut /hoisin sauce.


    A nice Buddhist lady told me to put a little bit of milk into hoisin sauce.
    It works great.



  2. #42
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Deep fried wonton/spring roll with fire roasted veggie filling WAS Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:17:45 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >
    >> The more I think about it the more it makes sense to use spring roll
    >> wrappers. I did it four years ago for the Royal (veggie) and Great
    >> American (appetizer, any filling, second place). What I'm wanting to
    >> do is get the fire roasted veggies into an interesting "delivery
    >> vehicle". The veggie comp only allows 7% meat content max. So I'm
    >> thinking about grilling chicken skin, then dropping in the fryer for
    >> a minute to totally crisp it, and then chopping it up into the mix.
    >> Or maybe drop some pulled pork into the fryer, (thinking into the
    >> keyboard here), now this is channeling a carnitas spring roll!
    >> Anyway, I also can have salty smoked brisket cooking juices, or
    >> pork, (smoke, then finish in a foiled pan to create the jus) for a
    >> dipping sauce, or I could just serve with a duck sauce, or something
    >> else.

    >
    > Did you see the pulled pork egg rolls I did last night? The one on
    > the left is a regular pork and shrimp egg roll with Mae Ploy +
    > sriracha. The one on the right is pulled pork with sauce and onions,
    > with extra "Carolina" sauce for dipping.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >
    > I was going to add cole slaw to the BBQ pork egg rolls but it was a
    > last minute thing (had extra wrappers) and I didn't have any slaw
    > handy. I did need more wetness.
    >>
    >> Thinking into the keyboard again, why couldn't I use spring roll
    >> wrappers, and the mexican style finish? The grilled corn, onions,
    >> and peppers worked very well with chipotle, ancho paste, lime juice,
    >> cream cheese, and melting cheese. Hmm. I've got some testing to do,
    >> 10 days to deadline.
    >>
    >> Butternut or red kuri squash filling in a spring roll wrapper packet?

    >
    > What do you mean by spring roll wrapper? They are made from flour and
    > are meant to be fried. *Summer* roll wrappers (Banh trang) are the
    > rice and tapioca one that are not cooked. At some point in the late
    > 80's the translations got screwed up and now everybody mistakes spring
    > rolls for summer rolls.


    Right, I know what they are, we've talked about it before, vis a vis the
    rice ones blowing up in the fryer and the flour sheets holding up well.
    These are called spring roll wraps by the Chinese, lumpia wrappers by the
    Phillipinos, and Vietnamese spring rolls are a different preparation, with
    fresh veggies, pork or shrimp, in a rice wrapper. I love the texture of the
    fried chinese style spring rolls. I get my information from a Ken Hom book
    on Chinese technique where he differentiates these from the thicker egg roll
    wrappers.

    MartyB



  3. #43
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    On 9/26/2012 1:54 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:19:16 -0400, pavane wrote:
    >
    >> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Inability to answer questions noted
    >>>>
    >>>> I'll spill the beans. A wonton is made
    >>>> by folding the wonton wrapper over the
    >>>> filling so that one corner of the wrapper
    >>>> meets its diagonally opposite corner.
    >>>> With a square wrapper, the edges line up
    >>>> perfectly. With a rectangular wrapper,
    >>>> they don't.
    >>>
    >>> Someone with an IQ would use two wrappers and make ravioli style
    >>> wontons... the only thing that makes it a wonton anyway is the
    >>> oriental seasoned filling. Learn to compromise and make kreplach. <G>

    >>
    >> Dumbass response of the month, at least. If a company cheats you,
    >> just pretend you are making something different with it, and go on
    >> whistling "If I only had a brain..."

    >
    > I most recently used them to make pot stickers last week. And you
    > can't use two wrappers to make anywhere near proper pot stickers.
    >
    > Here they are with a few upturned so you can see the crunch:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >
    > And the factory floor, which will visually explain why you need square
    > wrappers:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/


    What is the filling for those? I remember the first time you posted
    them but I can't remember the filling. And do you think they can be
    frozen? I have a package of wonton wrappers to use and I think I'd like
    to do those for some of them but I'll need to freeze some but need to
    know at which stage would be best. Gracios.



  4. #44
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:46:16 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

    > On 9/26/2012 1:54 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> I most recently used them to make pot stickers last week. And you
    >> can't use two wrappers to make anywhere near proper pot stickers.
    >>
    >> Here they are with a few upturned so you can see the crunch:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >>
    >> And the factory floor, which will visually explain why you need square
    >> wrappers:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

    >
    > What is the filling for those? I remember the first time you posted
    > them but I can't remember the filling. And do you think they can be
    > frozen? I have a package of wonton wrappers to use and I think I'd like
    > to do those for some of them but I'll need to freeze some but need to
    > know at which stage would be best. Gracios.


    I don't remember now. You probably saw it on Facebook the first time,
    so Google it! I don't do recipes, and I hate repeating myself -
    sorry. Gary got the same answer earlier today for the same reason so
    don't take it personally! :-)

    -sw

  5. #45
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    On 9/27/2012 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:46:16 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/26/2012 1:54 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I most recently used them to make pot stickers last week. And you
    >>> can't use two wrappers to make anywhere near proper pot stickers.
    >>>
    >>> Here they are with a few upturned so you can see the crunch:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >>>
    >>> And the factory floor, which will visually explain why you need square
    >>> wrappers:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

    >>
    >> What is the filling for those? I remember the first time you posted
    >> them but I can't remember the filling. And do you think they can be
    >> frozen? I have a package of wonton wrappers to use and I think I'd like
    >> to do those for some of them but I'll need to freeze some but need to
    >> know at which stage would be best. Gracios.

    >
    > I don't remember now. You probably saw it on Facebook the first time,
    > so Google it! I don't do recipes, and I hate repeating myself -
    > sorry. Gary got the same answer earlier today for the same reason so
    > don't take it personally! :-)
    >
    > -sw
    >

    I just now read that! But what about the freezing question?


  6. #46
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 23:50:36 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

    > On 9/27/2012 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >>>
    >>> What is the filling for those? I remember the first time you posted
    >>> them but I can't remember the filling. And do you think they can be
    >>> frozen? I have a package of wonton wrappers to use and I think I'd like
    >>> to do those for some of them but I'll need to freeze some but need to
    >>> know at which stage would be best. Gracios.

    >>
    >> I don't remember now. You probably saw it on Facebook the first time,
    >> so Google it! I don't do recipes, and I hate repeating myself -
    >> sorry. Gary got the same answer earlier today for the same reason so
    >> don't take it personally! :-)
    >>

    > I just now read that! But what about the freezing question?


    Sorry - I was in a hurry. You WANT to freeze them, and they freeze
    fine. Lightly spray a pan/plate/whatever with oil and put all the
    potstickers/egg rolls/spring rolls on there in a single layer and get
    them into the freezer ASAP. As soon as I'm done rolling or crimping 8
    of them, they go into the freezer. Otherwise the dough will get soggy
    from the filling. The last ones I make are the ones I'll be cooking
    right away. Once they are individually frozen solid, then put them
    into ziplocks.

    Cook them from the frozen state without thawing.

    -sw

  7. #47
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 23:50:36 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/27/2012 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >>>>
    >>>> What is the filling for those? I remember the first time you
    >>>> posted them but I can't remember the filling. And do you think
    >>>> they can be frozen? I have a package of wonton wrappers to use
    >>>> and I think I'd like to do those for some of them but I'll need to
    >>>> freeze some but need to know at which stage would be best.
    >>>> Gracios.
    >>>
    >>> I don't remember now. You probably saw it on Facebook the first
    >>> time, so Google it! I don't do recipes, and I hate repeating
    >>> myself - sorry. Gary got the same answer earlier today for the
    >>> same reason so don't take it personally! :-)
    >>>

    >> I just now read that! But what about the freezing question?

    >
    > Sorry - I was in a hurry. You WANT to freeze them, and they freeze
    > fine. Lightly spray a pan/plate/whatever with oil and put all the
    > potstickers/egg rolls/spring rolls on there in a single layer and get
    > them into the freezer ASAP. As soon as I'm done rolling or crimping 8
    > of them, they go into the freezer. Otherwise the dough will get soggy
    > from the filling. The last ones I make are the ones I'll be cooking
    > right away. Once they are individually frozen solid, then put them
    > into ziplocks.
    >
    > Cook them from the frozen state without thawing.
    >
    > -sw


    Never tried that before. What frying time and temp do you use for frozen
    spring rolls? From fresh I run them at 340F for 5-6 minutes. Same temp, just
    longer? Or turn it down some so the outside doesn't get too dark?

    MartyB



  8. #48
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: More Product Fraud - Banyan Foods

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:09:41 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry - I was in a hurry. You WANT to freeze them, and they freeze
    >> fine. Lightly spray a pan/plate/whatever with oil and put all the
    >> potstickers/egg rolls/spring rolls on there in a single layer and get
    >> them into the freezer ASAP. As soon as I'm done rolling or crimping 8
    >> of them, they go into the freezer. Otherwise the dough will get soggy
    >> from the filling. The last ones I make are the ones I'll be cooking
    >> right away. Once they are individually frozen solid, then put them
    >> into ziplocks.
    >>
    >> Cook them from the frozen state without thawing.

    >
    > Never tried that before. What frying time and temp do you use for frozen
    > spring rolls? From fresh I run them at 340F for 5-6 minutes. Same temp, just
    > longer? Or turn it down some so the outside doesn't get too dark?


    All depends on how thick they are and how much I'm crowding the pan.
    I throw them into a 350 oil, the oil drops to 290F and where it goes
    from there is anybody's guess. I cook them until I think they're
    done.

    You can also thaw them into the microwave at 20% power or so, but then
    the wrappers might overcook before the insides, cook. Best just to
    cook them from frozen for more consistent results. The color of the
    wrapper indicates when it's done - as if it's measuring inside temp as
    well. That's how all commercially prepared egg rolls are sold/cooked.

    -sw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32