Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

  1. #1
    Landon Guest

    Default Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    in California.

    There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.

    The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    while selling my motorcycle parts.

    I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.

    TIA

  2. #2
    George Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On 4/26/2011 12:32 PM, Landon wrote:
    > Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    > in California.
    >
    > There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    > who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    > market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >
    > The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    > cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    > delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    > while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >
    > I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    > recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.
    >
    > TIA


    Sounds like you are looking how to make pirozhki.

    I buy them when I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn which is the next
    thing to being in Russia.

    I have never made them but this sounds like a good start:

    http://www.supercook.org/Pastry/pirozhki_01.asp

  3. #3
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:17:16 -0400, George <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 4/26/2011 12:32 PM, Landon wrote:
    >> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    >> in California.
    >>
    >> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    >> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    >> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >>
    >> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >> while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    >> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.
    >>
    >> TIA

    >
    >Sounds like you are looking how to make pirozhki.
    >
    >I buy them when I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn which is the next
    >thing to being in Russia.
    >
    >I have never made them but this sounds like a good start:
    >
    >http://www.supercook.org/Pastry/pirozhki_01.asp



    That looks almost exactly like I remember! Thanks George!

    I also found another:


    ---

    Manapua (meat-filled dinner rolls)

    Serving Size : 16
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    CHAR SUI (SAUCE):

    5 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    4 tablespoons water
    4 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
    1 teaspoon oyster-flavored sauce
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder

    FILLING:

    1/2 pound ground pork or chicken
    1 scallion -- finely chopped
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger -- minced
    2 tablespoons water chestnuts -- minced
    1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    2 cans dinner -- (11.3-ounces each)
    rolls -- such as Pillsbury



    Heat the oven to 350║.

    In a small bowl, whisk together the char sui ingredients and set them
    aside.

    In a large nonstick skillet, cook the meat over medium-high heat until
    it's no longer pink, about 7 minutes.

    Reduce the heat to medium, add the scallion, garlic, ginger, and water
    chestnuts and sautÚ 1 minute.

    Stir in the char sui and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.

    In a small cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and pour it over
    the simmering meat.

    Cook for another minute or two until the juices have thickened,
    stirring constantly.

    Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.

    Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with
    nonstick cooking spray.

    Remove the biscuits from the cans and flatten each one into a 4-inch
    circle.

    Place a level tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle.

    Gather the dough edges together and pinch tightly to close.

    Place the biscuits on a baking sheet pinched side down and brush the
    tops with water or egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon of
    water).

    Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

    Makes 16 biscuits.

    Description:
    "Meat Filled Dinner Rolls"
    Yield:
    "16 rolls"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -


  4. #4
    Ranee at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    > in California.
    >
    > There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    > who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    > market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >
    > The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    > cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    > delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    > while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >
    > I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    > recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.


    Bierocks is the German name, I'm sure the Slavs and others make it as
    well. Dead simple: Dough, thin mashed potatoes, ground beef cooked
    with onions, cabbage and/or sauerkraut, salt and pepper, fill the dough,
    bake. They freeze well and are tasty eaten with mustard.

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:20:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Landon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    >> in California.
    >>
    >> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    >> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    >> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >>
    >> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >> while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    >> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.

    >
    > Bierocks is the German name, I'm sure the Slavs and others make it as
    >well. Dead simple: Dough, thin mashed potatoes, ground beef cooked
    >with onions, cabbage and/or sauerkraut, salt and pepper, fill the dough,
    >bake. They freeze well and are tasty eaten with mustard.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Ranee


    Thanks Ranee. My mind is reeling with the possibilities!

  6. #6
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    -snip-
    >The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >while selling my motorcycle parts.


    Thanks for asking about these-- and thanks to George, Ranee & whoever
    else pipes up with ideas.

    Last week Mr. Food made some buns that he stuffed with cranberries and
    iced. So, Sunday, when I made my usuall 3-dozen batch of dough for
    rolls, I got to thinking that I should stuff a batch. I stuffed
    them with cranberries, walnuts & cinn/sugar - then iced them with an
    orange glaze. Today they need a few seconds in the microwave--
    but they are still pretty good.

    As I was eating one this morning, I was wondering what else could be
    used as a filling. Savory will fit in my diet much better than these
    sweet ones.

    I'm thinking ham & swiss cheese in a rye roll.

    Jim

  7. #7
    M. JL Esq. Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    Landon wrote:

    > Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    > in California.
    >
    > There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    > who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    > market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >
    > The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    > cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    > delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    > while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >
    > I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called,


    Might have been "peroshkies" Piroguis, Piroshki? heres the first
    google hit i got.
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/taylor...ki/Detail.aspx

    but if someone has a
    > recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.


    Let me know if you cant find anything on google that satisfies, i have a
    number of recipes for various versions none of which i can vouch for the
    authenticity of.
    --
    JL


    >
    > TIA


  8. #8
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:43:25 -0400, Jim Elbrecht <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Landon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >-snip-
    >>The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >>cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >>delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >>while selling my motorcycle parts.

    >
    >Thanks for asking about these-- and thanks to George, Ranee & whoever
    >else pipes up with ideas.
    >
    >Last week Mr. Food made some buns that he stuffed with cranberries and
    >iced. So, Sunday, when I made my usuall 3-dozen batch of dough for
    >rolls, I got to thinking that I should stuff a batch. I stuffed
    >them with cranberries, walnuts & cinn/sugar - then iced them with an
    >orange glaze. Today they need a few seconds in the microwave--
    >but they are still pretty good.
    >
    >As I was eating one this morning, I was wondering what else could be
    >used as a filling. Savory will fit in my diet much better than these
    >sweet ones.
    >
    >I'm thinking ham & swiss cheese in a rye roll.
    >
    >Jim


    Man, ham and Swiss in rye sounds damn good! I see lots of variations.
    I think it might not be a very good reheated, but if frozen in batches
    and cooked only in the quantity that can be eaten in one sitting, I
    think this might just be a new menu item in my house. I'm picking up
    some rolls this afternoon.

  9. #9
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On 4/26/2011 12:17 PM, George wrote:
    > On 4/26/2011 12:32 PM, Landon wrote:
    >> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    >> in California.
    >>
    >> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    >> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    >> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >>
    >> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >> while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    >> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.
    >>
    >> TIA

    >
    > Sounds like you are looking how to make pirozhki.
    >
    > I buy them when I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn which is the next
    > thing to being in Russia.
    >
    > I have never made them but this sounds like a good start:
    >
    > http://www.supercook.org/Pastry/pirozhki_01.asp


    They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  10. #10
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:39:09 -0700, "M. JL Esq." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Landon wrote:
    >
    >> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    >> in California.
    >>
    >> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    >> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    >> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >>
    >> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >> while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called,

    >
    >Might have been "peroshkies" Piroguis, Piroshki? heres the first
    >google hit i got.
    >http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/taylor...ki/Detail.aspx
    >
    >but if someone has a
    >> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.

    >
    >Let me know if you cant find anything on google that satisfies, i have a
    >number of recipes for various versions none of which i can vouch for the
    >authenticity of.


    Thanks! That recipe looks good, but if it doesn't have beets or
    cabbage in it, I'm afraid the Russians would get mad! hehe

    I drove through east Germany one time when traveling from Berlin and
    the highway was lined with mile after mile after mile of cabbage
    fields as far as I could see in every direction. To this day, I've
    always been astounded at how much cabbage that represented.

    I love cabbage. I think I could eat a Russian diet easily.

  11. #11
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.


    Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler. I like looking at the
    regular tourist stuff, but I'm really only there for the food.

  12. #12
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Apr 26, 7:27*am, Landon <lan...@noreply.com> wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:17:16 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On 4/26/2011 12:32 PM, Landon wrote:
    > >> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    > >> in California.

    >
    > >> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    > >> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    > >> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.

    >
    > >> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    > >> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    > >> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    > >> while selling my motorcycle parts.

    >
    > >> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    > >> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.

    >
    > >> TIA

    >
    > >Sounds like you are looking how to make pirozhki.

    >
    > >I buy them when I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn which is the next
    > >thing to being in Russia.

    >
    > >I have never made them but this sounds like a good start:

    >
    > >http://www.supercook.org/Pastry/pirozhki_01.asp

    >
    > That looks almost exactly like I remember! Thanks George!
    >
    > I also found another:
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Manapua (meat-filled dinner rolls)
    >
    > Serving Size *: 16
    > -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
    > CHAR SUI (SAUCE):
    >
    > * 5 1/2 * *tablespoons *soy sauce
    > * 4 * * * * *tablespoons *water
    > * 4 * * * * *tablespoons *honey
    > * 1 * * * * *teaspoon *hoisin sauce
    > * 1 * * * * *teaspoon *oyster-flavored sauce
    > * 1 * * * * *teaspoon *toasted sesame oil
    > * 1/8 * * * teaspoon *five-spice powder
    >
    > FILLING:
    >
    > * 1/2 * * * * pound *ground pork or chicken
    > * 1 * * * * * *scallion -- finely chopped
    > * 1 * * * * * *garlic clove -- minced
    > * 1 * * * * * *teaspoon *fresh ginger -- minced
    > * 2 * * * * * *tablespoons *water chestnuts -- minced
    > * 1/2 * * * * tablespoon *cornstarch
    > * 1 * * * * * *tablespoon *cold water
    > * 2 * * * * * *cans *dinner -- (11.3-ounces each)
    > * * * * * * * * rolls -- such as Pillsbury
    >
    > Heat the oven to 350║.
    >
    > In a small bowl, whisk together the char sui ingredients and set them
    > aside.
    >
    > In a large nonstick skillet, cook the meat over medium-high heat until
    > it's no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
    >
    > Reduce the heat to medium, add the scallion, garlic, ginger, and water
    > chestnuts and sautÚ 1 minute.
    >
    > Stir in the char sui and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
    >
    > In a small cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and pour it over
    > the simmering meat.
    >
    > Cook for another minute or two until the juices have thickened,
    > stirring constantly.
    >
    > Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
    >
    > Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with
    > nonstick cooking spray.
    >
    > Remove the biscuits from the cans and flatten each one into a 4-inch
    > circle.
    >
    > Place a level tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle.
    >
    > Gather the dough edges together and pinch tightly to close.
    >
    > Place the biscuits on a baking sheet pinched side down and brush the
    > tops with water or egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon of
    > water).
    >
    > Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    >
    > Makes 16 biscuits.
    >
    > Description:
    > * "Meat Filled Dinner Rolls"
    > Yield:
    > * "16 rolls"
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > - -


    Meat pies are great. You don't really need a recipe. Your main options
    are to go with a pie crust dough or a bread dough or heck, even a
    pasta wrapper. You can fill it with anything you want.

    Manapua is served at many places here - even 7-11s. Typically, it's
    steamed but it's a good idea to try baking it first. Char Sui is the
    most common filling but there's also a curry version that I like and
    they'll even make it with the dough wrapped around a hot dog. Pierogi
    seems like a good idea - like an Irish pastie except smaller. If you
    want something smaller, you could try Korean mandoos. It's all good if
    you ask me. :-)

  13. #13
    Victor Sack Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    > who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    > market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.


    See
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/b85855098c8e33cb>.

    Victor

  14. #14
    George Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On 4/26/2011 4:57 PM, Landon wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >
    > Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    > the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler. I like looking at the
    > regular tourist stuff, but I'm really only there for the food.


    If ever in NYC just hop on the B train and ride it until the last stop:

    http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...nbeach/avenue/

  15. #15
    George Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On 4/26/2011 4:50 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
    > On 4/26/2011 12:17 PM, George wrote:
    >> On 4/26/2011 12:32 PM, Landon wrote:
    >>> Years ago, I had a motorcycle parts stall at the San Jose Flea Market
    >>> in California.
    >>>
    >>> There was a very elderly women who spoke in what I think was Russian,
    >>> who sold meat and cabbage stuffed rolls that she carried around the
    >>> market in a woven basket, covered with a checkered towel.
    >>>
    >>> The rolls were like large dinner rolls and had a filled cavity of
    >>> cabbage and meat about 2 inches in diameter. They were awesomely
    >>> delicious and at 25 cents each, I always got four of them to munch on
    >>> while selling my motorcycle parts.
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea what this stuffed roll was called, but if someone has a
    >>> recipe for this type of thing, I'd love to have it.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >>
    >> Sounds like you are looking how to make pirozhki.
    >>
    >> I buy them when I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn which is the next
    >> thing to being in Russia.
    >>
    >> I have never made them but this sounds like a good start:
    >>
    >> http://www.supercook.org/Pastry/pirozhki_01.asp

    >
    > They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.
    >


    Something (meat, fruit etc) in a small pie seems to be a Russian classic
    and tasty too.

  16. #16
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >
    >Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    >the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler.


    I'm a homebody these days- but I travel vicariously with food. When
    the kids were small I had this great idea that once a week we'd spin
    the globe & someone would poke their finger to stop it. We'd do a
    little geography & history lesson and then I'd try to find a recipe
    that reflected the country.

    About the third time they cried 'uncle'. They didn't mind all the
    lessons-- 'But can't we just eat American food." They were too
    young. Now they are a lot more adventurous in the eating.

    Jim

  17. #17
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On 4/26/2011 3:57 PM, Landon wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >
    > Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    > the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler. I like looking at the
    > regular tourist stuff, but I'm really only there for the food.


    I wish I could afford to take you!

    I will e keeping a travel diary, so I'll report back on any delicious
    aspects of the trip. I do know that we are to have a meal with a
    Russian family somewhere. The boat is supposed to be serving
    Russian-style meals.

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  18. #18
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:57:01 -0400, George <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 4/26/2011 4:57 PM, Landon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >>
    >> Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    >> the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler. I like looking at the
    >> regular tourist stuff, but I'm really only there for the food.

    >
    >If ever in NYC just hop on the B train and ride it until the last stop:
    >
    >http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...nbeach/avenue/


    I'll remember that! Thanks!

  19. #19
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:25:36 -0400, Jim Elbrecht <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Landon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >>
    >>Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    >>the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler.

    >
    >I'm a homebody these days- but I travel vicariously with food. When
    >the kids were small I had this great idea that once a week we'd spin
    >the globe & someone would poke their finger to stop it. We'd do a
    >little geography & history lesson and then I'd try to find a recipe
    >that reflected the country.
    >
    >About the third time they cried 'uncle'. They didn't mind all the
    >lessons-- 'But can't we just eat American food." They were too
    >young. Now they are a lot more adventurous in the eating.


    That's pretty cool Jim. I wish my folks had done that, but American
    food was all I got to eat until I was about 16. Then I got a job at
    the Washingtonian Restaurant in Maryland and learned about foods from
    other cultures and countries.


  20. #20
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Meat stuffed rolls - Recipe wanted.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:11:42 -0500, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 4/26/2011 3:57 PM, Landon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:50:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> They sound yummy. I'm gonna look for them in Russia when we go.

    >>
    >> Take me! Take me! Man, that's one of the places I want to go to for
    >> the food. I'm pretty much a food traveler. I like looking at the
    >> regular tourist stuff, but I'm really only there for the food.

    >
    >I wish I could afford to take you!
    >
    >I will e keeping a travel diary, so I'll report back on any delicious
    >aspects of the trip. I do know that we are to have a meal with a
    >Russian family somewhere. The boat is supposed to be serving
    >Russian-style meals.


    Outstanding! I look forward to hearing about it.

    Maybe you'll have a chance to try bear meat in a Russian stew of some
    kind.

    One of the things I miss the most in Germany was the food. Damn those
    folks love food. Rich, hearty food!

    My apartment there was directly across the street from a Mom+Pop
    Bakery in its umpteenth generation. The smells that greeted me at 4am
    when they opened were heaven itself!

    They had a "Mini-Loaf" of most of their breads. I always got one for
    breakfast. Fresh out of the oven and a crispy crust. Still warm when I
    sat down for breakfast.

    I really love food....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32