Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 152

Thread: Lost all my recipes

  1. #1
    Christine Guest

    Default Lost all my recipes

    Heya folks,

    I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.

    So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    ones I had in my files.

    I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...


    Christine

  2. #2
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine wrote:
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >
    >
    > Christine



    I'm very sorry to hear this! However, there's no way I (and probably many
    others) can remember all the recipes posted in the past year, either. While
    I love my computer, this is why I always write down recipes I've acquired,
    whether I've tried them or just want to try them. Index cards are your
    friend

    Jill


  3. #3
    Julia Altshuler Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine wrote:
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...



    Wouldn't it be easier to use google groups to go over the posted recipes
    and find the ones you liked than to have them reposted?


    --Lia


  4. #4
    BoboBonobo Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine wrote:
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >


    In the mean time it's TV dinners?
    Couldn't resist.
    >
    > Christine


    --Bryan

  5. #5
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat 28 Jun 2008 12:57:38a, Christine told us...

    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >
    >
    > Christine


    Christine,

    I have just e-mailed you a self-extracting zip file of all the posts I have
    saved containing recipes. I'm sure that some will be extraneous data that
    you will want to delete, but will leave it up to you to cull what you do
    want from the files. I hope the compressed file is not too large for you
    to download.

    I have also e-mailed separately all the recipes that I have in my recipe
    software, but in text format.

    Please let me know if you have a problem with any of these files.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    -------------------------------------------
    Saturday, 06(VI)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
    -------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    If Murphy's Law were true, whenever
    you tried to take a breath, all the
    air would be on the other side of the room.
    -------------------------------------------



  6. #6
    Phluge Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes


    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] ..
    > Christine wrote:
    > > Heya folks,
    > >
    > > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    > >
    > > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > > ones I had in my files.
    > >
    > > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    > >
    > >
    > > Christine

    >
    >
    > I'm very sorry to hear this! However, there's no way I (and probably many
    > others) can remember all the recipes posted in the past year, either.

    While
    > I love my computer, this is why I always write down recipes I've acquired,
    > whether I've tried them or just want to try them. Index cards are your
    > friend
    >
    > Jill


    If all else fails, no matter what happened to crash your PC, there is free
    software available that can reboot your hard drive and retrieve your files.
    It is pretty unlikely, but even if the hard drive physically broke somehow
    (it would have made lots of noise beforehand) there are ways to retrieve
    data -- did you know they recovered the hard drive in a field someplace
    from that space shuttle that burnt up during re-entry and recovered the data
    on it?

    Easy to find the freeware on Google or indicate if you are interested and I
    can give some examples.

    pflu >



  7. #7
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:37:49 -0500, "Phluge" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >
    >If all else fails, no matter what happened to crash your PC, there is free
    >software available that can reboot your hard drive and retrieve your files.
    >It is pretty unlikely, but even if the hard drive physically broke somehow
    >(it would have made lots of noise beforehand) there are ways to retrieve
    >data -- did you know they recovered the hard drive in a field someplace
    >from that space shuttle that burnt up during re-entry and recovered the data
    >on it?
    >
    >Easy to find the freeware on Google or indicate if you are interested and I
    >can give some examples.
    >

    Just give some examples... paying for someone to recover data is very
    expensive.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  8. #8
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes


    "Christine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >
    >
    > Christine


    Bummer!

    Do a Google advanced group search for the names of the people you think have
    expertise.


    You'll find it here

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...e=UTF-8&hl=en&


    Good luck.

    When was your last back-up?


    --
    Old Scoundrel

    (AKA Dimitri)


  9. #9
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 02:57:38 -0500, Christine wrote:

    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything up...I
    > even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it seems. My
    > hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.


    Bummer, Chris.... If it's the power supply, CPU or even the mother board,
    you may find that the hard drive is still OK, and you may be able to
    recover the data from it. As somebody else pointed out, even if it is the
    hard drive, there are 'veys und means' of recovering the data from (some)
    hard drives these days, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which ones
    > I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >
    > Christine


    I can't remember which recipes I posted/sent you either <grin>. I'll go
    thru my collection and send you the ones I *think* you might like.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

    Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...


  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 02:57:38 -0500, Christine <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    >years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    >would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    >ones I had in my files.


    I told you so! I told you to put them on Mosey.... but noooo you
    listened to those boobs who were naysaying about online backup. It
    would have been immediate and free - and we wouldn't be having this
    conversation right now.

    Next time, maybe you'll listen to me.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  11. #11
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:01:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:


    >I'm so sorry. If it helps, when my hard drive died 2 years ago, the
    >Geeks at Best Buy were a lot cheaper than other places to retrieve
    >stuff. They managed to get most of my pictures, files and recipes. It
    >did take quite a few hours.


    Thanks. I might take it there, to see what I can retrieve

    >
    >I use MasterCook 7 and I do a backup of recipes and the files I save
    >from Usenet and other places every week onto a separate hard drive. Then
    >every couple of months I burn those files to a CD.


    Speaking of Mastercook...does anyone know what version will work with
    Vista?

    I am NOT happy that I have Vista here....LOL

    >
    >I don't know what I'd do if I lost my recipes. Probably Google a
    >margarita recipe and drink a lot. <g>


    I hit up the wine last night...LOL

    Christine

  12. #12
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:49:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat 28 Jun 2008 12:57:38a, Christine told us...
    >
    >> Heya folks,
    >>
    >> I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    >> up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    >> seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >>
    >> So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    >> years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    >> would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    >> ones I had in my files.
    >>
    >> I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >>
    >>
    >> Christine

    >
    >Christine,
    >
    >I have just e-mailed you a self-extracting zip file of all the posts I have
    >saved containing recipes. I'm sure that some will be extraneous data that
    >you will want to delete, but will leave it up to you to cull what you do
    >want from the files. I hope the compressed file is not too large for you
    >to download.
    >
    >I have also e-mailed separately all the recipes that I have in my recipe
    >software, but in text format.
    >
    >Please let me know if you have a problem with any of these files.


    jesus, wayne, you do go the extra mile, don't you? that's very nice
    of you to do.

    your pal,
    blake

  13. #13
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine wrote:
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >
    >
    > Christine


    I'm so sorry. If it helps, when my hard drive died 2 years ago, the
    Geeks at Best Buy were a lot cheaper than other places to retrieve
    stuff. They managed to get most of my pictures, files and recipes. It
    did take quite a few hours.

    I use MasterCook 7 and I do a backup of recipes and the files I save
    from Usenet and other places every week onto a separate hard drive. Then
    every couple of months I burn those files to a CD.

    I don't know what I'd do if I lost my recipes. Probably Google a
    margarita recipe and drink a lot. <g>

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
    Good Friends. Good Life

  14. #14
    kilikini Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine Dabney wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:01:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I'm so sorry. If it helps, when my hard drive died 2 years ago, the
    >> Geeks at Best Buy were a lot cheaper than other places to retrieve
    >> stuff. They managed to get most of my pictures, files and recipes. It
    >> did take quite a few hours.

    >
    > Thanks. I might take it there, to see what I can retrieve
    >
    >>
    >> I use MasterCook 7 and I do a backup of recipes and the files I save
    >> from Usenet and other places every week onto a separate hard drive.
    >> Then every couple of months I burn those files to a CD.

    >
    > Speaking of Mastercook...does anyone know what version will work with
    > Vista?
    >
    > I am NOT happy that I have Vista here....LOL
    >
    >>
    >> I don't know what I'd do if I lost my recipes. Probably Google a
    >> margarita recipe and drink a lot. <g>

    >
    > I hit up the wine last night...LOL
    >
    > Christine


    I always back up my recipes to a separate hard drive and also every 3 months
    or so burn them to CD. I keep copies of everything.

    There are only 2 kinds of hard drives; one that has crashed and one that
    hasn't crashed, yet.

    kili



  15. #15
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:06:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\"" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >I see that Wayne has emailed you a bunch of stuff. I'm going to try to
    >find a university server that archives rec.food.cooking and I'll email it
    >to you. It's usually easier sorting through it than Google. Last server I
    >know of was the Carnegie Mellon Science Department but I haven't checked
    >there in a few years. I'll email you a link if I find one.
    >
    >Michael


    Actually, I haven't gotten anything from Wayne...I don't know where he
    sent it.

    My address isn't munged or anything

    Christine

  16. #16
    Chris Marksberry Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes


    "Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:01:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I'm so sorry. If it helps, when my hard drive died 2 years ago, the
    >>Geeks at Best Buy were a lot cheaper than other places to retrieve
    >>stuff. They managed to get most of my pictures, files and recipes. It
    >>did take quite a few hours.

    >
    > Thanks. I might take it there, to see what I can retrieve
    >
    >>
    >>I use MasterCook 7 and I do a backup of recipes and the files I save
    >>from Usenet and other places every week onto a separate hard drive. Then
    >>every couple of months I burn those files to a CD.

    >
    > Speaking of Mastercook...does anyone know what version will work with
    > Vista?


    Version 9 as I understand it will work with Vista, but you have to trick it
    into working. I'm still using XP. I found that out when I was on a list
    for Mastercook.

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MastercookDiscussion/
    >
    > I am NOT happy that I have Vista here....LOL
    >
    >>
    >>I don't know what I'd do if I lost my recipes. Probably Google a
    >>margarita recipe and drink a lot. <g>

    >
    > I hit up the wine last night...LOL


    Can't say as I blame you <g>
    >
    > Christine


    Chris or Christine



  17. #17
    Serene Vannoy Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine Dabney wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:01:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I'm so sorry. If it helps, when my hard drive died 2 years ago, the
    >> Geeks at Best Buy were a lot cheaper than other places to retrieve
    >> stuff. They managed to get most of my pictures, files and recipes. It
    >> did take quite a few hours.

    >
    > Thanks. I might take it there, to see what I can retrieve
    >
    >> I use MasterCook 7 and I do a backup of recipes and the files I save
    >>from Usenet and other places every week onto a separate hard drive. Then
    >> every couple of months I burn those files to a CD.

    >
    > Speaking of Mastercook...does anyone know what version will work with
    > Vista?


    The newest one doesn't. It's why I stopped using Mastercook and tried
    BigOven. I'm going to end up using some linux thing from now on, though.

    If anyone wants my copy of MasterCook 9 (and I think I also have version
    7), drop me an email with your snailmail address and I'll send it to the
    first person who asks for it.

    Serene
    --
    "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

  18. #18
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Phluge wrote:

    >
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected] ..
    >> Christine wrote:
    >> > Heya folks,
    >> >
    >> > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    >> > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    >> > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >> >
    >> > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    >> > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    >> > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    >> > ones I had in my files.
    >> >
    >> > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Christine

    >>
    >>
    >> I'm very sorry to hear this! However, there's no way I (and probably many
    >> others) can remember all the recipes posted in the past year, either.

    > While
    >> I love my computer, this is why I always write down recipes I've acquired,
    >> whether I've tried them or just want to try them. Index cards are your
    >> friend
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    > If all else fails, no matter what happened to crash your PC, there is free
    > software available that can reboot your hard drive and retrieve your files.
    > It is pretty unlikely, but even if the hard drive physically broke somehow
    > (it would have made lots of noise beforehand)


    It did.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
    Found: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se


  19. #19
    Kswck Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes


    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] ..
    > Christine wrote:
    >> Heya folks,
    >>
    >> I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    >> up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    >> seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >>
    >> So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    >> years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    >> would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    >> ones I had in my files.
    >>
    >> I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >>
    >>
    >> Christine

    >


    I back it all up, along with other necessary stuff on the first of the
    month-every month w/o fail-stock transactions, cooking database, bookmarks,
    etc.
    Might want to get in the habit.



  20. #20
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: Lost all my recipes

    Christine <[email protected]> news:bhrb641n9j3p9h4cd9bmadgvtl4h6mcro4
    @4ax.com: in rec.food.cooking

    > Heya folks,
    >
    > I did it again. And I was just getting ready to back everything
    > up...I even got a new backup hard drive. But not soon enough, it
    > seems. My hard drive, or something caused my laptop to die.
    >
    > So..I lost all recipes. I have been saving tons of them from rfc for
    > years now..and if you have posted recipes in the past year or so...I
    > would love to see them again. I can't even begin to remember which
    > ones I had in my files.
    >
    > I am hoping to retrieve some of these files...but in the meantime...
    >


    I see that Wayne has emailed you a bunch of stuff. I'm going to try to
    find a university server that archives rec.food.cooking and I'll email it
    to you. It's usually easier sorting through it than Google. Last server I
    know of was the Carnegie Mellon Science Department but I haven't checked
    there in a few years. I'll email you a link if I find one.

    Michael

    --
    ""There is no federal agency which oversees levees. That doesn't exist."
    ~~BUTCH KINERNEY, a spokesman for FEMA.

    To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32