Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

  1. #1
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    use/cooking.

    The one I want is approx 6.25" ID and 4.5" inside height.

    Holds about 9 cups liquid (measured it). This is my most
    commonly used pot for making a variety of things.

    It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.

    The smallest pot in the set is the same diameter
    (interchangeable lids) except it is about 2" inside height.

    I have been searching local stores and on the internet--but
    have not found anything similar in terms of the small
    capacity, size (height/width), and construction.

    Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    handle or has the wrong diameter and height.

    Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

  2. #2
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
    > All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    > Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    > brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    > use/cooking.


    I have no idea if this helps you at all. Staub enameled pots:

    http://www.staubusa.com/prod_cocottes/black.asp

    nancy

  3. #3
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    > Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    > brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    > use/cooking.

    (snip)
    > Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    > big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    > handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
    >
    > Any recommendations where I can find what I want?


    Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

  4. #4
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handlepot/pan

    On May 11, 10:37*am, Gerald Abrahamson <jerr...@visi.com> wrote:


    It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
    --------------

    Is there a name of the manufacturer on the bottom of the pot? That is
    where I would start to look.
    If you have the name of the company who made them you can contact the
    company to get another.

  5. #5
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handlepot/pan

    On 5/11/2010 1:37 PM, Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
    > All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    > Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    > brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    > use/cooking.
    >
    > The one I want is approx 6.25" ID and 4.5" inside height.
    >
    > Holds about 9 cups liquid (measured it). This is my most
    > commonly used pot for making a variety of things.
    >
    > It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
    >
    > The smallest pot in the set is the same diameter
    > (interchangeable lids) except it is about 2" inside height.
    >
    > I have been searching local stores and on the internet--but
    > have not found anything similar in terms of the small
    > capacity, size (height/width), and construction.
    >
    > Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    > big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    > handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
    >
    > Any recommendations where I can find what I want?


    Not cheap but Le Creuset has a 2 quart "French Oven" that's about those
    dimensions. Chef's Catalog lists it.






  6. #6
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handlepot/pan

    Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
    > All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    > Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    > brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    > use/cooking.



    Try: http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...led-Cast-Iron/

    gloria p

  7. #7
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Re: Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:51:39 -0400, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
    >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    >> use/cooking.

    >
    >I have no idea if this helps you at all. Staub enameled pots:
    >
    >http://www.staubusa.com/prod_cocottes/black.asp
    >
    >nancy


    Right idea--it is 7+" dia and only 4" tall.

    It costs $100 at a number of online stores.

    I am willing to be reasonable to get what I want, but that
    price is way too high, IMO.

    More reasonable is maybe $25-$45, I think. This isn't rocket
    science and I don't need or want "artistic" or "unique"--I
    need reasonably made and totally functional.

  8. #8
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Re: Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    >> use/cooking.

    >(snip)
    >> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    >> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    >> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

    >
    >Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?


    Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
    capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
    wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
    ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.

  9. #9
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Re: Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 13:56:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On May 11, 10:37*am, Gerald Abrahamson <jerr...@visi.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
    >--------------
    >
    >Is there a name of the manufacturer on the bottom of the pot? That is
    >where I would start to look.
    >If you have the name of the company who made them you can contact the
    >company to get another.


    No mfr marks of any type. This was the equivalent to "Made
    in China" in the 1970s (store brand/no-name set).

  10. #10
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Re: Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:23:17 -0600, "gloria.p"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
    >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    >> use/cooking.

    >
    >
    >Try: http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...led-Cast-Iron/
    >
    >gloria p


    I took a look--I don't like the non-enameled surface at the
    top of the pot.

    I did take a look at the enamel-covered steel stock
    pots--and that is exactly what I want (but in a 2.0 to 2.5
    quart capacity). Smallest is a 6-qt from LC.

    So, any suggestions?

  11. #11
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    > >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    > >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    > >> use/cooking.

    > >(snip)
    > >> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    > >> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    > >> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
    > >>
    > >> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

    > >
    > >Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

    >
    > Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
    > capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
    > wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
    > ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.


    <shrug> I tried. I don't think there's any rule about the depth and
    shape of a casserole. Most I use are round and often have lids --
    stoneware, though; not what you're looking for. LeCreuset makes a
    2-quart French oven, enamel on cast iron. Expensive:
    <http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...on/French-Oven
    s/Round-French-Oven-2-qt/>

    Looks like you're in the Twin Cities; try Kitchen Window, Cooks of
    Crocus Hill, or Sur la Table.
    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

  12. #12
    Gerald Abrahamson Guest

    Default Re: Re: Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

    On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:31:09 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <[email protected]>,
    >> > Gerald Abrahamson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
    >> >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
    >> >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
    >> >> use/cooking.
    >> >(snip)
    >> >> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
    >> >> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
    >> >> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
    >> >>
    >> >> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?
    >> >
    >> >Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

    >>
    >> Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
    >> capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
    >> wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
    >> ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.

    >
    ><shrug> I tried. I don't think there's any rule about the depth and
    >shape of a casserole. Most I use are round and often have lids --
    >stoneware, though; not what you're looking for. LeCreuset makes a
    >2-quart French oven, enamel on cast iron. Expensive:
    ><http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...on/French-Oven
    >s/Round-French-Oven-2-qt/>
    >
    >Looks like you're in the Twin Cities; try Kitchen Window, Cooks of
    >Crocus Hill, or Sur la Table.


    Checked all three--no joy.

    But I think I found something close in terms of size and/or
    capacity. I went through many online catalogs item-by-item
    before finding these.

    Reston Lloyd has a set of three smaller stock pots--the
    small one is 1.5 qt, the next is 2.5 qt, and I think the
    third is 3.5 qt. Under $50 for all three, and it is enamel
    on steel.

    The problem with these three is they come with glass covers.
    So I sent an e-mail to them to find out if matching
    enamel-on-steel covers are available. I also asked for the
    ID and internal height of the 2.5 qt so I can see if a
    third-party cover might fit (even if it does not match).

    So, now I wait....

    And thanks for everyone's help in looking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32