Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

  1. #1
    kent Guest

    Default Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    I bought live Dungeness Crab yesterday for only $2.49 a pound. I
    haven't seen that low a price in several years. They're a bit on the
    small side, one and a half pounds. It'd be nice if they started
    hitting two pounds.

    At home I put them in steamer, not boiling crab pot, steamed for 10
    minutes. The result was simply orgiastic. Served only with fresh Acme
    baquette.

    Kent



  2. #2
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    kent wrote:
    >
    > I bought live Dungeness Crab yesterday for only $2.49 a pound. I
    > haven't seen that low a price in several years. They're a bit on the
    > small side, one and a half pounds. It'd be nice if they started
    > hitting two pounds.


    I heard on the news that they are rather small this season.

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:47:13 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:

    > At home I put them in steamer, not boiling crab pot, steamed for 10
    > minutes. The result was simply orgiastic. Served only with fresh Acme
    > baquette.


    No butter and a slight hint of butter? It doesn't need much of
    either.

    You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.

    I miss those 1.75lb live dungeness(*) for $2/lb. I'd take them
    home, remove the rubber bands, and let my cat slap them around on
    the back patio while I get everything else ready.

    The crabs pretty much stayed in the extended boxer position the
    whole time just moving in circles. But when those arms did lower,
    the cat knew to stay back. It was 3 against 1 usually.

    (*) Fresh dungeness weigh less than pre-cooked (and certainly
    pre-frozen).

    -sw

  4. #4
    kent Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    On Dec 4, 1:32*pm, Sqwertz <sqwe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:47:13 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:
    > > At home I put them in steamer, not boiling crab pot, steamed for 10
    > > minutes. The result was simply orgiastic. Served only with fresh Acme
    > > baquette.

    >
    > No butter and a slight hint of butter? *It doesn't need much of
    > either.
    >
    > You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.
    >
    > I miss those 1.75lb live dungeness(*) for $2/lb. *I'd take them
    > home, remove the rubber bands, and let my cat slap them around on
    > the back patio while I get everything else ready.
    >
    > The crabs pretty much stayed in the extended boxer position the
    > whole time just moving in circles. *But when those arms did lower,
    > the cat knew to stay back. *It was 3 against 1 usually.
    >
    > (*) Fresh dungeness weigh less than pre-cooked (and certainly
    > pre-frozen).
    >
    > -sw
    >
    >

    Live & frisky; flavor so rich butter didn't add anything. Tonight it's
    crab newberg; tomorrow it's crab souffle.

    Kent





  5. #5
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    On Dec 4, 1:32*pm, Sqwertz <sqwe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:47:13 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:
    > > At home I put them in steamer, not boiling crab pot, steamed for 10
    > > minutes. The result was simply orgiastic. Served only with fresh Acme
    > > baquette.

    >
    > No butter and a slight hint of butter? *It doesn't need much of
    > either.
    >
    > You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.
    >
    > I miss those 1.75lb live dungeness(*) for $2/lb. *I'd take them
    > home, remove the rubber bands, and let my cat slap them around on
    > the back patio while I get everything else ready.
    >
    > The crabs pretty much stayed in the extended boxer position the
    > whole time just moving in circles. *But when those arms did lower,
    > the cat knew to stay back. *It was 3 against 1 usually.
    >
    > (*) Fresh dungeness weigh less than pre-cooked (and certainly
    > pre-frozen).
    >
    > -sw


    Speaking of crabs...I knew this chick down around Laredo back in the
    60's...oh, wait...different crabs.

  6. #6
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    Steve wrote:

    > You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.


    How could they be live *and* pre-boiled?

    Bob




  7. #7
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:34:26 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:

    > On Dec 4, 1:32*pm, Sqwertz <sqwe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >
    >> You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.

    ....
    > Live & frisky; flavor so rich butter didn't add anything. Tonight it's
    > crab newberg; tomorrow it's crab souffle.


    In ba.food you said you cooked them in only 10 minutes. That's too
    short of cooking time for steaming live 1.5lb dungeness crabs.

    Admit it. They were pre-boiled. It's OK.

    -sw

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Live Dungeness Crab in SF Bay Area

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:19:03 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> You didn't say if they were fresh or pre-boiled.

    >
    > How could they be live *and* pre-boiled?


    Uh, you lost me there Bob. It's an exclusive disjunction (XOR)
    that will evaluate true. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Is this some sort of freshly dead snipe?

    -sw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32