Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Leftover angel food

  1. #1
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Leftover angel food

    There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube it,
    fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it special
    (again). Any ideas? Polly


  2. #2
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food


    "Polly Esther" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    > it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress
    > and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it
    > special (again). Any ideas? Polly


    Frankly, that sounds gacky to me. Heavy! I'd stick with meringue or
    whipped cream, some fresh fruit that doesn't have any gluey corn starch
    added.



  3. #3
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food


    "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:91ppgnFq25U[email protected]..
    >
    > "Polly Esther" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >> There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    >> it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    >> sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress
    >> and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it
    >> special (again). Any ideas? Polly

    >
    > Frankly, that sounds gacky to me. Heavy! I'd stick with meringue or
    > whipped cream, some fresh fruit that doesn't have any gluey corn starch
    > added.


    >
    >That might work. We have heavy thunderstorms and tornado warnings in -
    >won't attempt meringue but the blueberries are in fine form just now.
    >Polly



  4. #4
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    cube, drizzle with filling then whipped cream, or strawberries that have
    been sliced and sugared, then the w/c, or as a basis for a bread pudding?

    Lee
    "Polly Esther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    > it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress
    > and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it
    > special (again). Any ideas? Polly




  5. #5
    pamjd Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 27, 5:47*am, "Storrmmee" <rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote:
    > cube, drizzle with filling then whipped cream, or strawberries that have
    > been sliced and sugared, then the w/c, or as a basis for a bread pudding?
    >
    > Lee"Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    >
    >
    > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *


    Slice it thin enough to fit into toaster.
    Toast it.
    Lay it flat on plate, put a scoop of icecream on top.
    Dollop of whipped cream if you must. Add a cherry if you have one.
    Simple, tastes great.


  6. #6
    projectile vomit chick Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 27, 12:48*am, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:
    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cubeit,
    > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly


    Mail it to Julie Bove. She and her daughter are probably allergic to
    it.

  7. #7
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 26, 10:48*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:
    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cubeit,
    > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly


    Throw it out.

  8. #8
    Kent Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food


    "Polly Esther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    > it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress
    > and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it
    > special (again). Any ideas? Polly
    >

    Slice it into bread slice pieces. Fresh strawberries[in season as per omelet
    below], cut and sugared for 1+ hours[sugaring optionsl]. Strawberries go on
    slice of angel cake. Blast top with whipped light cream.

    Kent






  9. #9
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On 27/04/2011 1:48 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
    > There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    > it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to
    > impress and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to
    > make it special (again). Any ideas? Polly



    My mother used to slice the angle to slice angel food cake into two or
    three layers and slap in some lemon pudding then cover the whole thing
    with whipped cream. It was delicious. I haven't had it for years.

  10. #10
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    Dave Smith wrote:
    > On 27/04/2011 1:48 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
    >> There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    >> it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    >> sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to
    >> impress and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to
    >> make it special (again). Any ideas? Polly

    >
    >
    > My mother used to slice the angle to slice angel food cake into two or
    > three layers and slap in some lemon pudding then cover the whole thing
    > with whipped cream. It was delicious. I haven't had it for years.


    ooh.. lemon curd! whipped cream! sliced berries! I see a lovely spring
    dessert (lemon trifle?) in the making here....

  11. #11
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 27, 10:41*am, Chemo the Clown <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Apr 26, 10:48*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:
    >
    > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cube it,
    > > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly

    >
    > Throw it out.


    Right: if she left it out at room temperature for two hours or more,
    it's probably crawling with bacteria. Only pressure cooking for 30
    minutes would kill the spores.

  12. #12
    lainie Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 27, 5:22*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 10:41*am, Chemo the Clown <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 26, 10:48*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:

    >
    > > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cube it,
    > > > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > > > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress andI
    > > > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > > > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly

    >
    > > Throw it out.

    >
    > Right: if she left it out at room temperature for two hours or more,
    > it's probably crawling with bacteria. Only pressure cooking for 30
    > minutes would kill the spores.


    Crawling with bacteria! Why?

  13. #13
    Tara Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:48:13 -0500, "Polly Esther"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube it,
    >fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    >cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    >don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it special
    >(again). Any ideas?


    I love to toast leftover angel food cake. Those brown crispy edges
    are delicious.

    I have seen, but not tried, recipes for grilling skewers of cake cubes
    and fruit. That sounds like fun. Serve some ice cream on top.

    Tara

  14. #14
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Apr 27, 2:55*pm, lainie <lainie...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 5:22*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 27, 10:41*am, Chemo the Clown <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >
    > > > On Apr 26, 10:48*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:

    >
    > > > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cube it,
    > > > > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps somesort of
    > > > > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > > > > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > > > > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly

    >
    > > > Throw it out.

    >
    > > Right: if she left it out at room temperature for two hours or more,
    > > it's probably crawling with bacteria. Only pressure cooking for 30
    > > minutes would kill the spores.

    >
    > Crawling with bacteria! *Why?


    Just playing along with chemo.

  15. #15
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 01:03:12 -0500, "Polly Esther"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >That might work. We have heavy thunderstorms and tornado warnings in -
    > >won't attempt meringue but the blueberries are in fine form just now.


    I was thinking about strawberries. Macerate them with sugar to create
    "strawberry juice" and serve over the cake.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:55:51 -0700 (PDT), lainie <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Crawling with bacteria! Why?


    He's trying to gross you out.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:58:24 -0400, Tara <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:48:13 -0500, "Polly Esther"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube it,
    > >fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > >cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > >don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it special
    > >(again). Any ideas?

    >
    > I love to toast leftover angel food cake. Those brown crispy edges
    > are delicious.
    >
    > I have seen, but not tried, recipes for grilling skewers of cake cubes
    > and fruit. That sounds like fun. Serve some ice cream on top.
    >


    For me, there's no such thing as leftover angel food cake... but just
    for laughs, I googled "recipe +leftover angel food cake" and behold
    the hits!

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  18. #18
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    In article <ip9tkh$fvk$[email protected]>, "Kent" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Polly Esther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube
    > > it, fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > > sort of cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress
    > > and I don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it
    > > special (again). Any ideas? Polly
    > >

    > Slice it into bread slice pieces. Fresh strawberries[in season as per omelet
    > below], cut and sugared for 1+ hours[sugaring optionsl]. Strawberries go on
    > slice of angel cake. Blast top with whipped light cream.
    >
    > Kent


    Glad I read this first! ;-) I was about to suggest the same thing...
    California strawberries under $2.00 per lb. the past two weeks!

    To make the berries last longer, I process them as soon as I get home.
    Wash, core, slice and put them into a container, add some lemon juice
    and sweetner of choice, mix well and refrigerate.

    Use as desired.
    --
    --
    Peace, Om
    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>

    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
    come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
    -- Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    lainie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Apr 27, 5:22*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > On Apr 27, 10:41*am, Chemo the Clown <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Apr 26, 10:48*pm, "Polly Esther" <Polly...@cableone.net> wrote:

    > >
    > > > > There's about half of an angel food cake here. *I'm thinking I can cube
    > > > > it,
    > > > > fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some
    > > > > sort of
    > > > > cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > > > > don't have access to toasted eye of newt. *Just want to make it special
    > > > > (again). *Any ideas? * *Polly

    > >
    > > > Throw it out.

    > >
    > > Right: if she left it out at room temperature for two hours or more,
    > > it's probably crawling with bacteria. Only pressure cooking for 30
    > > minutes would kill the spores.

    >
    > Crawling with bacteria! Why?


    I read that as sarcasm...
    --
    --
    Peace, Om
    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>

    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
    come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
    -- Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Leftover angel food

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:48:13 -0500, "Polly Esther"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There's about half of an angel food cake here. I'm thinking I can cube it,
    > >fold it with a can of pie filling ( cherry, maybe) and perhaps some sort of
    > >cream cheese concoction. Nobody coming by that we need to impress and I
    > >don't have access to toasted eye of newt. Just want to make it special
    > >(again). Any ideas?

    >
    > I love to toast leftover angel food cake. Those brown crispy edges
    > are delicious.
    >
    > I have seen, but not tried, recipes for grilling skewers of cake cubes
    > and fruit. That sounds like fun. Serve some ice cream on top.
    >
    > Tara


    Toasted angel food cake or pound cake with a little butter really is
    tasty.
    --
    --
    Peace, Om
    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>

    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
    come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
    -- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32