Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Kitchen Conveniences?

  1. #1
    Alan Holbrook Guest

    Default Kitchen Conveniences?

    What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?

    I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring
    tools handily available.

    I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    their electrics to protect us from ourselves. So I mounted a small
    outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    in much more convenient reach.

    Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    bit easier.

    As Andy would say, you?

  2. #2
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    Alan Holbrook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen
    > chores like cooking and cleaning more convenient? For
    > example, I imagine most of us use prep cups, etc., and do
    > recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and measuring in
    > advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?
    >
    > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons
    > and having a recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet
    > ingredient first and then a tablespoon of a dry ingredient
    > later and having to stop to wash and dry the tablespoon.
    > So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated
    > measuring cups, then went to home depot and bought a piece
    > of pegboard and some hooks, and mounted same on the side of
    > a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring tools handily
    > available.
    >
    > I also got tired of those short cords appliance
    > manufacturers put on their electrics to protect us from
    > ourselves. So I mounted a small outlet strip on the
    > counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are in much
    > more convenient reach.
    >
    > Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in
    > the kitchen a bit easier.
    >
    > As Andy would say, you?




    Alan,

    Heh heh heh!!!

    I've said it before... "and here I thought only God was in the
    details."

    I once posted that I took my measuring spoons off the "keep
    together" metal ring. Did I get fun attacks for that!!! Ever
    the maverick! :-)

    Tip of the Day: "As seen on TV," For measuring honey and
    molasses, etc., spray your measuring spoon with oil spray so
    the measures will more easily depart it's temporary confines.

    Thanks, BTW for the kind mention.

    Best,

    Andy
    Paper and plastic.

  3. #3
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    Andy wrote:

    > Tip of the Day: "As seen on TV," For measuring honey and
    > molasses, etc., spray your measuring spoon with oil spray so
    > the measures will more easily depart it's temporary confines.


    I haven't measured either of those in years. Try eyeballing them and
    you'll get the hang of it.



  4. #4
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?


    "Alan Holbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] 5.247...
    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?


    I mostly don't measure unless I am baking. I mostly just eyeball. If I am
    cooking rice, I will measure. I have no clue what a prep cup is. I don't
    think I have any.
    >
    > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    > recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    > tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    > the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    > went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    > mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring
    > tools handily available.


    Wow! I bought one new set of dry measuring cups only because my one old set
    was starting to look its age and I don't like the other so well. I bought
    it at my daughter's school. It folds up into itself. Some of the pieces
    went missing. I have two sets of measuring spoons and they're not all
    there. I have a two one cup, two two cup and a 4 cup liquid measure. I
    only bought extra of those because my others seem to get pushed back in the
    cupboard and I have to undo everything to get to them.
    >
    > I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    > their electrics to protect us from ourselves. So I mounted a small
    > outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    > in much more convenient reach.


    Short cords are not a problem for me.
    >
    > Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    > bit easier.
    >
    > As Andy would say, you?


    I don't think I have any convenience items that I use all the time.
    Daughter bought me a Slap Chop. While it works great, a knife is just as
    easy.



  5. #5
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    George M. Middius <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    >
    >> Tip of the Day: "As seen on TV," For measuring honey and
    >> molasses, etc., spray your measuring spoon with oil spray
    >> so the measures will more easily depart it's temporary
    >> confines.

    >
    > I haven't measured either of those in years. Try eyeballing
    > them and you'll get the hang of it.



    It was an old-fashioned tip.

    Thinks are much leisurely today, of course.

    Andy

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:37:40 GMT, Alan Holbrook <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?
    >
    > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    > recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    > tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    > the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    > went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    > mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring
    > tools handily available.


    Nope. Just one set of each, but I do have dry measure cups and wet
    measure (glass) cups. I probably have more stainless steel mixing
    bowls of all sizes than anyone I know and I have lots of silicon
    spatulas and whisks of all sizes & shapes. I have 6-8 silicon
    spatulas and sometimes use them all during the course of making a
    meal. It's not particularly necessary, it's just me.
    >
    > I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    > their electrics to protect us from ourselves. So I mounted a small
    > outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    > in much more convenient reach.


    I used to have that, but installed more electrical outlets when the
    kitchen was updated - so lack of outlets isn't an issue anymore.
    >
    > Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    > bit easier.
    >

    My biggest convenience type thing is lots and lots of flexible
    chopping mats. I dirty one and get out another for the next item. I
    have a knife block... but I don't consider it a convenience, it's a
    necessity. I want to keep my "good" knives as sharp as possible
    between uses. During the kitchen upgrade, we gave all the
    under-counter cabinets rolling shelves. Now, that's a *real*
    convenience! Sure, they hold a little less but I now use *everything*
    on the shelves instead of using the back as storage and having things
    in active use at the front. I've always had lazy susans on my upper
    shelves, so that way I don't lose anything at the back there either.


    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  7. #7
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    "sf" <s[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    > My biggest convenience type thing is lots and lots of flexible
    > chopping mats. I dirty one and get out another for the next item. I
    > have a knife block... but I don't consider it a convenience, it's a
    > necessity. I want to keep my "good" knives as sharp as possible
    > between uses. During the kitchen upgrade, we gave all the
    > under-counter cabinets rolling shelves. Now, that's a *real*
    > convenience! Sure, they hold a little less but I now use *everything*
    > on the shelves instead of using the back as storage and having things
    > in active use at the front. I've always had lazy susans on my upper
    > shelves, so that way I don't lose anything at the back there either.


    I love those rolling shelves! One of the selling points of this house when
    we bought it was that all the cupboards underneath had rolling shelves,
    including in the bathrooms. I'd hate to be without them. I think my biggest
    convenience is my butcher block on wheels, I use it daily.

    Cheri


  8. #8
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?


    On 19-Sep-2012, Alan Holbrook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?


    When full, I set my dishwasher to run 4 hours after I go to bed. In the
    morning, while the coffee brews, I empty the dishwasher. Then, as I finish
    using a dish, cup, whatever, it goes into the dishwasher; keeps my sink and
    countertop available and makes doing dishes a task of simply adding
    detergent and setting the delay.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  9. #9
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?


    On 19-Sep-2012, "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I mostly don't measure unless I am baking. I mostly just eyeball. If I
    > am
    > cooking rice, I will measure. I have no clue what a prep cup is. I don't
    >
    > think I have any.
    > >
    > > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    > > recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    > > tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    > > the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets
    > > of
    > > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    > > went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    > > mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of
    > > measuring
    > > tools handily available.

    >
    > Wow! I bought one new set of dry measuring cups only because my one old
    > set
    > was starting to look its age and I don't like the other so well. I bought
    >
    > it at my daughter's school. It folds up into itself. Some of the pieces
    > went missing. I have two sets of measuring spoons and they're not all
    > there. I have a two one cup, two two cup and a 4 cup liquid measure. I
    > only bought extra of those because my others seem to get pushed back in
    > the
    > cupboard and I have to undo everything to get to them.
    > >


    Tupperware must hate me; I have had Tupperware measuring spoons and cups
    since the mid-70s. Whenever they exhibit issues, significant wear or
    breakage, I contact Tupperware, tell them of the issue and receive a free
    replacement. Color choices change over the years so my spoon set is no
    longer made up of "gold" but now covers the rainbow. On one occasion, they
    no longer could match the "style" of a cup set, so sent a new set to replace
    the single piece whose handle broke.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:38:51 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Tupperware must hate me; I have had Tupperware measuring spoons and cups
    > since the mid-70s. Whenever they exhibit issues, significant wear or
    > breakage, I contact Tupperware, tell them of the issue and receive a free
    > replacement. Color choices change over the years so my spoon set is no
    > longer made up of "gold" but now covers the rainbow. On one occasion, they
    > no longer could match the "style" of a cup set, so sent a new set to replace
    > the single piece whose handle broke.


    I've never taken Tupperware up on any replacements. Never thought to
    replace lids that went bad, just threw them out... and I don't buy
    Tupperware anymore.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  11. #11
    graham Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?


    "Alan Holbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] 5.247...
    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?
    >
    > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    > recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    > tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    > the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    > went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    > mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring
    > tools handily available.
    >
    > I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    > their electrics to protect us from ourselves. So I mounted a small
    > outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    > in much more convenient reach.
    >
    > Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    > bit easier.
    >
    > As Andy would say, you?


    When I bake, I weigh everything so my measuring cups are just used as
    scoops. My second set of measuring spoons are in the garden shed where they
    are used to measure out weed killer and 2-stroke oil.
    Graham



  12. #12
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On 19-Sep-2012, Alan Holbrook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?


    What is a "prep cup"? Sounds like something from a medical test lab.


    Steve

  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:51:36 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    > On 19-Sep-2012, Alan Holbrook <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > > cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    > > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > > measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?

    >
    > What is a "prep cup"? Sounds like something from a medical test lab.
    >

    I think it's an unstuffy way of saying "mise en place".

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  14. #14
    Chemo Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Sep 19, 2:37*am, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:
    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient? *For example, I imagine most of us
    > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > measuring in advance before we start cooking. *Any others like that?
    >
    > I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    > recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    > tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    > the tablespoon. *So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    > graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    > went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    > mounted same on the side of a cabinet. *Now there are plenty of measuring
    > tools handily available.
    >
    > I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    > their electrics to protect us from ourselves. *So I mounted a small
    > outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    > in much more convenient reach.
    >
    > Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    > bit easier.
    >
    > As Andy would say, you?


    Did you trace around everything with a marker?

  15. #15
    S Viemeister Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On 9/19/2012 1:06 PM, Chemo wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 2:37 am, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:
    >> What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    >> cooking and cleaning more convenient? For example, I imagine most of us
    >> use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    >> measuring in advance before we start cooking. Any others like that?
    >>
    >> I myself got tired of not having enough measuring spoons and having a
    >> recipe call for a tablespoon of a wet ingredient first and then a
    >> tablespoon of a dry ingredient later and having to stop to wash and dry
    >> the tablespoon. So I went to the local dollar store and bought 5 sets of
    >> graduated measuring spoons and 5 sets of graduated measuring cups, then
    >> went to home depot and bought a piece of pegboard and some hooks, and
    >> mounted same on the side of a cabinet. Now there are plenty of measuring
    >> tools handily available.
    >>
    >> I also got tired of those short cords appliance manufacturers put on
    >> their electrics to protect us from ourselves. So I mounted a small
    >> outlet strip on the counter where I use my electrics so the outlets are
    >> in much more convenient reach.
    >>
    >> Not rocket science by any means, but they do make life in the kitchen a
    >> bit easier.
    >>
    >> As Andy would say, you?

    >
    > Did you trace around everything with a marker?
    >

    My dad did that in his lab.

  16. #16
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Sep 19, 10:06*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:51:36 +0000 (UTC), spop...@speedymail.org
    >
    > (Steve Pope) wrote:
    > > On 19-Sep-2012, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:

    >
    > > > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > > > cooking and cleaning more convenient? *For example, I imagine most of us
    > > > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincingand
    > > > measuring in advance before we start cooking. *Any others like that?

    >
    > > What is a "prep cup"? *Sounds like something from a medical test lab.

    >
    > I think it's an unstuffy way of saying "mise en place".
    >
    > --
    > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.


    I use custard dishes, but I have seem little flexible bowls labeled as
    prep bowls/cups...

  17. #17
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On 9/19/2012 4:37 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
    > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > cooking and cleaning more convenient?


    I love cooking so I never consider it a chore. As for cleaning up, I
    clean as I cook. Finish with a bowl, wash it, dry it and put it away.
    knives, pots...same thing.

    After the meal, I hate cleaning up pots and serving dishes so I birthed
    a couple of daughters. They did that work for me until they (and I)
    were no longer at home, so I trained the spouse to do it.


    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  18. #18
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    >
    On Sep 19, 1:16*pm, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > I love cooking so I never consider it a chore. *As for cleaning up, I
    > clean as I cook. Finish with a bowl, wash it, dry it and put it away.
    > knives, pots...same thing.
    >
    >
    > Janet Wilder
    >
    >

    I clean up as I go, too, but whatever has been washed except for
    exceptionally large pieces just stay in the dish drainer to air dry to
    be put away later. The only thing that is washed, dried, and put away
    immediately are knives such as chef and boning.

  19. #19
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?



    "Janet Wilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:505a0c0c$0$1221$c3e8da3$[email protected] b.com...
    > On 9/19/2012 4:37 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
    >> What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    >> cooking and cleaning more convenient?

    >
    > I love cooking so I never consider it a chore. As for cleaning up, I
    > clean as I cook. Finish with a bowl, wash it, dry it and put it away.
    > knives, pots...same thing.
    >
    > After the meal, I hate cleaning up pots and serving dishes so I birthed a
    > couple of daughters. They did that work for me until they (and I) were no
    > longer at home, so I trained the spouse to do it.


    *applause* Since daughter is away, spouse does the final clean up ) When
    I start to cook I have a big sink of hot soapy water and I also wash up as I
    go along I love to cook too!
    --
    --

    http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/


  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen Conveniences?

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:06:38 -0700 (PDT), merryb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Sep 19, 10:06*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:51:36 +0000 (UTC), spop...@speedymail.org
    > >
    > > (Steve Pope) wrote:
    > > > On 19-Sep-2012, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:

    > >
    > > > > What kinds of things do you good folks do to make kitchen chores like
    > > > > cooking and cleaning more convenient? *For example, I imagine most of us
    > > > > use prep cups, etc., and do recipe prep like our chopping and mincing and
    > > > > measuring in advance before we start cooking. *Any others like that?

    > >
    > > > What is a "prep cup"? *Sounds like something from a medical test lab.

    > >
    > > I think it's an unstuffy way of saying "mise en place".
    > >
    > > --
    > > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

    >
    > I use custard dishes, but I have seem little flexible bowls labeled as
    > prep bowls/cups...


    Me too - to both.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32