Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: killer apple smoked barbecue

  1. #1
    guiller Guest

    Default killer apple smoked barbecue


    ive read an 'easy recipes' (http://www.easycookrecipes.com)
    of a traditional Apple Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe and I tried doing it
    and it really satisfies my angry stomach.. I cant get over it , would
    you believe ive doing and eating it for 3 consecutive daysss....
    heheehh.. so much fun


    YOU SHOULD TRY THIS

    2 slabs baby back ribs, or spareribs
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup Apple Wood Chips
    barbecue sauce (recipe follows)
    Preheat oven to 400F. Rub cinnamon, cloves and pepper into both sides of
    ribs. Place ribs on wire rack on baking pan. Bake for 3 hours until
    tender. Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes. Prepare grill. Place
    apple wood chips directly in the center of hot barbecue coals. Baste
    ribs and place on grill above wood chips. Cover, grill and cook for 10
    minutes. Turn ribs, baste again and cook another 10 minutes or until
    ribs are browned but still moist.
    Barbecue Sauce:
    2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
    1/2 cup molasses
    10 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    fresh ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    Combine all ingredients except vinegar in saucepan. Simmer, covered, on
    low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar to taste and
    simmer for another 15 minutes. Chill at least 24 hours, or until ready
    to use.




    --
    guiller

  2. #2
    Christopher Helms Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    On Feb 28, 2:25*pm, guiller <guiller.7b1c289.656...@foodbanter.com>
    wrote:
    > ive read an 'easy recipes' (http://www.easycookrecipes.com)
    > of a traditional Apple Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe and I tried doing it
    > and it really satisfies my angry stomach.. I cant get over it , *would
    > you believe ive doing and eating it for 3 consecutive daysss....
    > heheehh.. so much fun
    >
    > YOU SHOULD TRY THIS
    >
    > 2 slabs baby back ribs, or spareribs
    > 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    > 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    > 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    > 1 cup Apple Wood Chips
    > barbecue sauce (recipe follows)
    > Preheat oven to 400F. Rub cinnamon, cloves and pepper into both sides of
    > ribs. Place ribs on wire rack on baking pan. Bake for 3 hours until
    > tender. Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes. Prepare grill. Place
    > apple wood chips directly in the center of hot barbecue coals. Baste
    > ribs and place on grill above wood chips. Cover, grill and cook for 10
    > minutes. Turn ribs, baste again and cook another 10 minutes or until
    > ribs are browned but still moist.
    > Barbecue Sauce:
    > 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
    > 1/2 cup molasses
    > 10 cloves garlic
    > 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    > 2 tablespoons dry mustard
    > fresh ground pepper
    > 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    > 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    > 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    > Combine all ingredients except vinegar in saucepan. Simmer, covered, on
    > low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar to taste and
    > simmer for another 15 minutes. Chill at least 24 hours, or until ready
    > to use.
    >
    > --
    > guiller



    You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.

  3. #3
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    Christopher Helms <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    >That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    >people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.


    I was going to say, 200 degrees or 250 would be a better idea.

    OTOH the OP could have a very inaccurate oven thermostat. They
    also probably started them at refrigerator temperature.



    S.

  4. #4
    Christopher Helms Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    On Feb 28, 8:08*pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
    > Christopher Helms *<Chrishelms...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    > >That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    > >people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.

    >
    > I was going to say, 200 degrees or 250 would be a better idea.
    >
    > OTOH the OP could have a very inaccurate oven thermostat. *They
    > also probably started them at refrigerator temperature.
    >
    > S.



    250 or so for a good long time would be all right, if you couldn't get
    them on some kind of wood based indirect heat.

  5. #5
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    Re: 7a81b2b8-22e5-43f5-a734-e19a3ce58f18...oglegroups.com

    Christopher Helms <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Feb 28, 2:25 pm, guiller <guiller.7b1c289.656...@foodbanter.com>
    > wrote:
    >> ive read an 'easy recipes' (http://www.easycookrecipes.com)
    >> of a traditional Apple Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe and I tried doing
    >> it and it really satisfies my angry stomach.. I cant get over it ,
    >> would you believe ive doing and eating it for 3 consecutive
    >> daysss.... heheehh.. so much fun
    >>
    >> YOU SHOULD TRY THIS
    >>
    >> 2 slabs baby back ribs, or spareribs
    >> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    >> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    >> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    >> 1 cup Apple Wood Chips
    >> barbecue sauce (recipe follows)
    >> Preheat oven to 400F. Rub cinnamon, cloves and pepper into both
    >> sides of ribs. Place ribs on wire rack on baking pan. Bake for 3
    >> hours until tender. Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes. Prepare
    >> grill. Place apple wood chips directly in the center of hot barbecue
    >> coals. Baste ribs and place on grill above wood chips. Cover, grill
    >> and cook for 10 minutes. Turn ribs, baste again and cook another 10
    >> minutes or until ribs are browned but still moist.
    >> Barbecue Sauce:
    >> 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
    >> 1/2 cup molasses
    >> 10 cloves garlic
    >> 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    >> 2 tablespoons dry mustard
    >> fresh ground pepper
    >> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    >> 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    >> 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    >> Combine all ingredients except vinegar in saucepan. Simmer, covered,
    >> on low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar to taste
    >> and simmer for another 15 minutes. Chill at least 24 hours, or until
    >> ready to use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> guiller

    >
    >
    > You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    > That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    > people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.


    The rub of cinnamon and cloves and pepper sounds pretty disgusting too.

    And there's this part:
    >>Turn ribs, baste again and cook another 10
    >> minutes or until ribs are browned but still moist.


    Still moist? After uncovered in a dry oven at 400F for 3 hours? Moist as in
    moist jerky?

    I blame you, Christopher. I filter out foodbanter and you made it show up.

    ;-)

    MartyB



  6. #6
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    On Feb 28, 6:53*pm, Christopher Helms <Chrishelms...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    > That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    > people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.


    I have the opposite reaction. They make me laugh.

    --Bryan

  7. #7
    Gorio Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue


    'Bryan[_6_ Wrote:
    > ;1587155']On Feb 28, 6:53*pm, Christopher Helms Chrishelms...@yahoo.com
    > wrote:
    > -
    > You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    > That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    > people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.-
    >
    > I have the opposite reaction. They make me laugh.
    >
    > --Bryan


    Must be a trick for those who have tiny amounts of wood.

    Though it takes time to get nice apple wood ambers, once you have them,
    you can add wood and plop those ribs on the indirect and let them smoke
    for hours giving them periodic bastings. I like a thinner, vinegar and
    honey sauce. I can handle whe whole molasses/ketchup, thing, but it's
    nice to experiment with thinner sauces that are applied in layers. You
    sure don't need much, though. Well-made BBQ shouldn't require any sauce
    to be delicious, though.




    --
    Gorio

  8. #8
    Christopher Helms Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    On Mar 2, 6:34*am, Gorio <Gorio.7b41128.243...@foodbanter.com> wrote:
    > 'Bryan[_6_ Wrote:
    >
    > > ;1587155']On Feb 28, 6:53*pm, Christopher Helms Chrishelms...@yahoo.com
    > > wrote:
    > > -
    > > You baked ribs for three hours at 400 degrees? Then grilled them?
    > > That's almost as bad as boiling them. The terrible, terrible things
    > > people do to ribs around here make me want to cry.-

    >
    > > I have the opposite reaction. *They make me laugh.

    >
    > > --Bryan

    >
    > Must be a trick for those who have tiny amounts of wood.
    >
    > Though it takes time to get nice apple wood ambers, once you have them,
    > you can add wood and plop those ribs on the indirect and let them smoke
    > for hours giving them periodic bastings. I like a thinner, vinegar and
    > honey sauce. I can handle whe whole molasses/ketchup, thing, but it's
    > nice to experiment with thinner sauces that are applied in layers. You
    > sure don't need much, though. Well-made BBQ shouldn't require any sauce
    > to be delicious, though.
    >
    > --
    > Gorio



    Carolina style mustard and vinegar based sauces are really good.
    They're a nice change from the 1001 versions of tomato & brown sugar
    sauce that are out there.

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: killer apple smoked barbecue

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:37:01 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Carolina style mustard and vinegar based sauces are really good.
    > They're a nice change from the 1001 versions of tomato & brown sugar
    > sauce that are out there.


    Yes, they are! I made up my own recipe and keep it in a repurposed
    ketchup bottle in the refrigerator.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32