Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

  1. #1
    Chemiker Guest

    Default Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    With all the sage opinions expressed about putting knives in
    the dishwasher......

    One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!

    Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?

    Would a salad helper at Shoney's put his personal
    Wusthoffs in a Kaboosh? A vegetable prep tech at
    Hooters? The meat-cutting guy who makes the
    carne guisado at Pancho's? If not, why not?

    Alex

  2. #2
    PickyJaz Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Dec 29, 10:29*am, Chemiker <prussianblu...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    > of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    > It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!
    >
    > Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?

    Google shows the originators site and ordering, with this say: All
    knife blocks are not made the same. That is except for the Kaboosh
    knife block which can fit almost any knife except for a machete.
    Hundreds of plastic rods fill the knife block interior which conform
    to any knife and keeps the knives cushioned.
    ....Picky

  3. #3
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    PickyJaz wrote:
    > On Dec 29, 10:29 am, Chemiker <prussianblu...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >> One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    >> of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    >> It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!
    >>
    >> Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?

    > Google shows the originators site and ordering, with this say: All
    > knife blocks are not made the same. That is except for the Kaboosh
    > knife block which can fit almost any knife except for a machete.
    > Hundreds of plastic rods fill the knife block interior which conform
    > to any knife and keeps the knives cushioned.
    > ...Picky

    I bought mine at Harbor Freight two years ago and it works fine. Never
    had a problem with it. Wood outside, nicely finished, plastic rods
    inside. I've even taken the knives out, rinsed it thoroughly with hot
    water and left it to air dry upside down for a couple of days. Still
    works fine. Holds my strange assortment of various brands of knives nicely.

  4. #4
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    George Shirley wrote:
    > PickyJaz wrote:
    >> On Dec 29, 10:29 am, Chemiker <prussianblu...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >>> One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    >>> of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    >>> It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?

    >> Google shows the originators site and ordering, with this say: All
    >> knife blocks are not made the same. That is except for the Kaboosh
    >> knife block which can fit almost any knife except for a machete.
    >> Hundreds of plastic rods fill the knife block interior which conform
    >> to any knife and keeps the knives cushioned.
    >> ...Picky

    > I bought mine at Harbor Freight two years ago and it works fine. Never
    > had a problem with it. Wood outside, nicely finished, plastic rods
    > inside. I've even taken the knives out, rinsed it thoroughly with hot
    > water and left it to air dry upside down for a couple of days. Still
    > works fine. Holds my strange assortment of various brands of knives
    > nicely.


    Someone on this newsgroup years ago had a knife block like
    that. Maybe it was tj? I forget. Very cool.

    nancy

  5. #5
    Kajikit Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:29:49 -0600, Chemiker
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >With all the sage opinions expressed about putting knives in
    >the dishwasher......
    >
    >One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    >of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    >It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!
    >
    >Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?
    >
    >Would a salad helper at Shoney's put his personal
    >Wusthoffs in a Kaboosh? A vegetable prep tech at
    >Hooters? The meat-cutting guy who makes the
    >carne guisado at Pancho's? If not, why not?
    >
    >Alex


    Interesting idea... I just looked it up in google and it's kaPoosh
    though. The review seem to be mixed between those who love it and
    those who think it doesn't work as well as they'd hoped...

  6. #6
    Pennyaline Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    Kajikit wrote:
    > Interesting idea... I just looked it up in google and it's kaPoosh
    > though. The review seem to be mixed between those who love it and
    > those who think it doesn't work as well as they'd hoped...


    A lot depends on what one is hoping for, evidently.

  7. #7
    phaeton Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Dec 30, 4:50*pm, Pennyaline <norwegianb...@deadparrot.com> wrote:
    > Kajikit wrote:
    > > Interesting idea... I just looked it up in google and it's kaPoosh
    > > though. The review seem to be mixed between those who love it and
    > > those who think it doesn't work as well as they'd hoped...

    >
    > A lot depends on what one is hoping for, evidently.



    My ex gf's dad once gave me a magnetic strip, which was designed to be
    placed on the wall so that you can hang all your knives there.


    I thought it was a bad idea though.


    However, he's a cool guy. He's actually the one that bought me my set
    of Chicago Cutlery knives that I so adore.

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:45:15 -0800 (PST), phaeton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My ex gf's dad once gave me a magnetic strip, which was designed to be
    >placed on the wall so that you can hang all your knives there.
    >
    >
    >I thought it was a bad idea though.


    Why?


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
    interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  9. #9
    Ken Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Dec 30, 5:45*pm, phaeton <blahbleh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >
    > My ex gf's dad once gave me a magnetic strip, which was designed to be
    > placed on the wall so that you can hang all your knives there.
    >
    > I thought it was a bad idea though.


    I keep my big knives on the magnetic strip on the wall and my small
    knives in blocks on the counter. Works well for me.

    Ken

  10. #10
    Ken Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Dec 29, 10:29*am, Chemiker <prussianblu...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > With all the sage opinions expressed about putting knives in
    > the dishwasher......
    >
    > One of my profligate offspring, apparently in a moment
    > of confusion, bought me a knife block for XMas (I have 2).
    > It's called a Kaboosh and has no slots. OK, rrriiiiight!
    >
    > Anybody have experience with this device? Pros and cons?
    >
    > Would a salad helper at Shoney's put his personal
    > Wusthoffs in a Kaboosh? A vegetable prep tech at
    > Hooters? The meat-cutting guy who makes the
    > carne guisado at Pancho's? If not, why not?
    >
    > Alex


    Here's a link to a link to a youtube.com video:

    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/kapoosh-un...sil-holder.cfm

    It says you can take out the rods and wash them in the dishwasher.
    Can't do that with wood.

    Ken

  11. #11
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:39:18 -0800, sf wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:45:15 -0800 (PST), phaeton
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>My ex gf's dad once gave me a magnetic strip, which was designed to be
    >>placed on the wall so that you can hang all your knives there.
    >>
    >>
    >>I thought it was a bad idea though.

    >
    > Why?


    i used to have a strip (no place to put it in this kitchen). i think they
    work pretty well.

    i would be concerned that the kapoosh block mentioned upthread would dull
    the knives, but probably no more so than a standard knife block.

    of late i've been using knife guards:

    <http://chefdepot.net/knifeguards.htm>

    ....and putting them in a drawer, or sticking one (a kiwi - thanks, om!) to
    the refrigerator with a magnet. at a couple bucks each, i think it's a
    good solution.

    your pal,
    blake

  12. #12
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:04:05 GMT, blake murphy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i used to have a strip (no place to put it in this kitchen). i think they
    >work pretty well.
    >
    >i would be concerned that the kapoosh block mentioned upthread would dull
    >the knives, but probably no more so than a standard knife block.


    I thought they would dull *less* because the blade would push them
    aside.
    >
    >of late i've been using knife guards:
    >
    ><http://chefdepot.net/knifeguards.htm>


    I just wrap it in a dish towel.
    >
    >...and putting them in a drawer,


    I'm pretty careful around knives and other sharp items, so I don't
    hurt myself... but son just puts his hand in and swishes it around to
    find things. He's gotten some nasty cuts that way.



    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
    interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  13. #13
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Kaboosh! WAS: 3 (not so) silly questions

    blake murphy wrote:

    > i would be concerned that the kapoosh block mentioned upthread would dull
    > the knives, but probably no more so than a standard knife block.
    >
    > of late i've been using knife guards:
    >
    > <http://chefdepot.net/knifeguards.htm>
    >
    > ...and putting them in a drawer, or sticking one (a kiwi - thanks, om!) to
    > the refrigerator with a magnet. at a couple bucks each, i think it's a
    > good solution.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake



    My knife holders are in a drawer. If I was short on drawer space, I
    would try the Kapoosh.

    http://www.shopwiki.com/search/Lippe...nife+Organizer

    Becca

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32