Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Just dreaming...

  1. #1
    piedmont Guest

    Default Just dreaming...

    Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!

    A midwest staple!
    --
    regards, mike
    piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
    http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
    (mawil55)

  2. #2
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    piedmont <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    > constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    > make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    > lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >
    > A midwest staple!



    <THWACK!!!>

    Snap out of it!!! He's having a nightmare!!!

    HELLO???

    <THWACK!!!>

    I think he's coming around.

    <THWACK!!!>

    He'll be OK but a bit less attentive.

  3. #3
    Christopher Helms Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Mar 23, 6:12*pm, piedmont <See...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    > constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    > make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    > lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >
    > A midwest staple!



    Despite living in Indiana, I haven't had one of those bad boys in
    years.

  4. #4
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:33:55 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >piedmont <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    >> constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    >> make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    >> lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >>
    >> A midwest staple!

    >
    >
    ><THWACK!!!>
    >
    >Snap out of it!!! He's having a nightmare!!!
    >
    >HELLO???
    >
    ><THWACK!!!>
    >
    >I think he's coming around.
    >
    ><THWACK!!!>
    >
    >He'll be OK but a bit less attentive.


    Hmmm, delusional, perhaps too much alcohol?



    --

    Stu
    More than simply a recipe website. http://foodforu.ca

  5. #5
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    In article <hobht4$hto$[email protected]>,
    piedmont <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    > constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    > make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    > lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >
    > A midwest staple!


    I have a couple of pork tenders in the freezer from the pigmeat guy at
    the summer farmers market. Mind if I ask how you make your sandwiches?
    I do see what you wrote above but am curious mostly about the flattening
    part and what you use for breading. Do you slice medallions from the
    tender and then flatten them? How thick do you make the cut? Panko for
    breading? Seasoned crumbs?

    Thanks. I know the reputation of breaded pork tender sandwiches in the
    midwest but am not very familiar with them. I *think* Dulono's
    Restaurant in Minneapolis had a reputation for them 50 years ago.
    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

  6. #6
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Mar 23, 6:12*pm, piedmont <See...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    > constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    > make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    > lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >
    > A midwest staple!
    > --
    > regards, mike
    > piedmont, The Practical BBQ'rhttp://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
    > (mawil55)


    ....uh, not mayo, but yellow mustard! Onion is optional.

    ;-)

    N.

  7. #7
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    >
    > I have a couple of pork tenders in the freezer from the pigmeat guy at
    > the summer farmers market. *Mind if I ask how you make your sandwiches?*
    > I do see what you wrote above but am curious mostly about the flattening
    > part and what you use for breading. *Do you slice medallions from the
    > tender and then flatten them? *How thick do you make the cut? *Panko for
    > breading? *Seasoned crumbs?
    >
    > Thanks. *I know the reputation of breaded pork tender sandwiches in the
    > midwest but am not very familiar with them. * I *think* Dulono's
    > Restaurant in Minneapolis had a reputation for them 50 years ago.
    > --
    > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010



    Down here in pork country - flatten with a meat mallet - start out
    with a regular-thickness piece of pork, like you'd have a pork chop
    (but not an "Iowa" chop which is super thick) - dip in egg and then in
    finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs or dry bread crumbs. Panko?
    Not in this venue, it's foreign to tenderloin sandwiches. Seasoning
    is just salt & pepper to taste (very little salt is needed).

    The bun has yellow mustard and pickle - optional are onion, lettuce
    and tomato slices. The tenderloin has to be way bigger than the bun,
    that's de rigeur.... ;-)

    If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    the tenderizer twice, once each direction. However, our Hy-Vee stores
    sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.

    Nearly every family restaurant, franchise and diner here in Iowa will
    have pork tenderloin sandwiches on the menu.

    N.

  8. #8
    piedmont Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On 3/24/2010 11:15 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article<hobht4$hto$[email protected]>,
    > piedmont<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and

    snip
    > the summer farmers market. Mind if I ask how you make your sandwiches?
    > I do see what you wrote above but am curious mostly about the flattening
    > part and what you use for breading. Do you slice medallions from the
    > tender and then flatten them? How thick do you make the cut? Panko for
    > breading? Seasoned crumbs?

    snip
    You got it right, make me one while your at it! As far as thickness
    you'll need to experiment with one or too, try starting out with a 1
    inch thick medallion, flatten to 3/8 inch, use a small cast iron skillet
    to flatten!

    --
    regards, mike
    piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
    http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
    (mawil55)

  9. #9
    piedmont Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On 3/24/2010 11:30 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 6:12 pm, piedmont<See...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Just dreaming about it as I am remodeling my house frantically and
    >> constantly, I have a farm raised pork tenderlion which I want dearly to
    >> make flattened, breaded, fried, pork tenderloin for sandwiches. Bun,
    >> lettuce, onion, mayo and pickle, Oh Yeah!
    >>
    >> A midwest staple!
    >> --
    >> regards, mike
    >> piedmont, The Practical BBQ'rhttp://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
    >> (mawil55)

    >
    > ...uh, not mayo, but yellow mustard! Onion is optional.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > N.

    Not in Northern Indiana! Mayo it is and at Penquin Point slaw goes on top.

    --
    regards, mike
    piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
    http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
    (mawil55)

  10. #10
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    > "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    > the tenderizer twice, once each direction. However, our Hy-Vee stores
    > sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.


    > N.


    but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    through a tenderizing machine?

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

  11. #11
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Mar 25, 9:02*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    wrote:
    > In article
    > <8d567558-e3d3-4ffc-85f2-374b1366e...@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    > > "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    > > the tenderizer twice, once each direction. *However, our Hy-Vee stores
    > > sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.
    > > N.

    >
    > but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    > through a tenderizing machine?
    >
    > --
    > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010


    Barb, Did you get my e-mail? My system is bein' stoopid today.

    Essentially, the answer is: Because that is The Way --- to make the
    perfect tenderloin sandwich. The meat has to be thin. It has to
    overflow the size of the bun. It should be about the same size as the
    plate it's on. ;-)

    N.

  12. #12
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Thu 25 Mar 2010 07:02:26a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    >> "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    >> the tenderizer twice, once each direction. However, our Hy-Vee stores
    >> sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.

    >
    >> N.

    >
    > but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    > through a tenderizing machine?
    >


    So that you don't have to chew?

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  13. #13
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    Nancy2 wrote:

    > Essentially, the answer is: Because that is The Way --- to make the
    > perfect tenderloin sandwich. The meat has to be thin. It has to
    > overflow the size of the bun. It should be about the same size as the
    > plate it's on. ;-)




    I can see doing that just to flatten out the tenderloin or the purpose
    of making a large thin cutlet sort of thing. Tenderloin is naturally
    very tender, though it dries out and toughens when over cooked.


  14. #14
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mar 25, 9:02*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <8d567558-e3d3-4ffc-85f2-374b1366e...@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
    > >
    > > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > > If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    > > > "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    > > > the tenderizer twice, once each direction. *However, our Hy-Vee stores
    > > > sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.
    > > > N.

    > >
    > > but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    > > through a tenderizing machine?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

    >
    > Barb, Did you get my e-mail? My system is bein' stoopid today.
    >
    > Essentially, the answer is: Because that is The Way --- to make the
    > perfect tenderloin sandwich. The meat has to be thin. It has to
    > overflow the size of the bun. It should be about the same size as the
    > plate it's on. ;-)
    >
    > N.


    I did get your mail and I still think The Way is goofy. :-) But, hey,
    it's the Io-Way. "-).


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

  15. #15
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Mar 26, 8:14*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    wrote:
    > In article
    > <a394255d-3402-4d86-9f0b-f25298eba...@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > On Mar 25, 9:02*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    > > wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <8d567558-e3d3-4ffc-85f2-374b1366e...@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

    >
    > > > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > > > If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    > > > > "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    > > > > the tenderizer twice, once each direction. *However, our Hy-Vee stores
    > > > > sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.
    > > > > N.

    >
    > > > but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    > > > through a tenderizing machine?

    >
    > > > --
    > > > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > > > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

    >
    > > Barb, Did you get my e-mail? *My system is bein' stoopid today.

    >
    > > Essentially, the answer is: *Because that is The Way --- to make the
    > > perfect tenderloin sandwich. *The meat has to be thin. *It has to
    > > overflow the size of the bun. *It should be about the same size as the
    > > plate it's on. ;-)

    >
    > > N.

    >
    > I did get your mail and I still think The Way is goofy. *:-) *But, hey,
    > it's the Io-Way. *"-). *
    >
    > --
    > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Ha, good one. We're "famous" for our tenderloin sandwiches. ;-) Try
    Henry's Cafe if you're ever over by Honey Creek....

    N.

  16. #16
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    On Mar 26, 10:14*am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > On Mar 26, 8:14*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article
    > > <a394255d-3402-4d86-9f0b-f25298eba...@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,

    >
    > > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > > On Mar 25, 9:02*am, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
    > > > wrote:
    > > > > In article
    > > > > <8d567558-e3d3-4ffc-85f2-374b1366e...@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

    >
    > > > > *Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
    > > > > > If I don't have tenderloin to cut slices from, I buy tenderloin
    > > > > > "steaks" at the supermarket and then have the butcher run them through
    > > > > > the tenderizer twice, once each direction. *However, our Hy-Veestores
    > > > > > sell already-tenderized pork tenderloin slabs which are ready to cook.
    > > > > > N.

    >
    > > > > but, but, but. . . why would they put the tenderest part of the piggy
    > > > > through a tenderizing machine?

    >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > > > > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

    >
    > > > Barb, Did you get my e-mail? *My system is bein' stoopid today.

    >
    > > > Essentially, the answer is: *Because that is The Way --- to make the
    > > > perfect tenderloin sandwich. *The meat has to be thin. *It has to
    > > > overflow the size of the bun. *It should be about the same size as the
    > > > plate it's on. ;-)

    >
    > > > N.

    >
    > > I did get your mail and I still think The Way is goofy. *:-) *But, hey,
    > > it's the Io-Way. *"-). *

    >
    > > --
    > > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
    > > Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Ha, good one. *We're "famous" for our tenderloin sandwiches. ;-) *Try
    > Henry's Cafe if you're ever over by Honey Creek....
    >
    > N.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    FYI, there's a good picture of the perfect-thickness tenderloin
    sandwich at the www.amanameatshop.com website. I believe they start
    with a loin slice, not a tenderloin slice, and then tenderize it.
    Tenderloin as in sandwich is a misnomer - it's a "tender loin" piece
    of meat, not a "tenderloin." It "...comes from the leanest part of
    the loin, tenderized twice .... "

    N.

  17. #17
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Just dreaming...

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > FYI, there's a good picture of the perfect-thickness tenderloin
    > sandwich at the www.amanameatshop.com website. I believe they start
    > with a loin slice, not a tenderloin slice, and then tenderize it.
    > Tenderloin as in sandwich is a misnomer - it's a "tender loin" piece
    > of meat, not a "tenderloin." It "...comes from the leanest part of
    > the loin, tenderized twice .... "
    >
    > N.


    Okay, now it makes sense.


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

  18. #18
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default What to have *with* Iowa tenderloin sandwiches?

    Nancy2 wrote:

    > Essentially, the answer is: Because that is The Way --- to make the
    > perfect tenderloin sandwich. The meat has to be thin. It has to overflow
    > the size of the bun. It should be about the same size as the plate it's
    > on. ;-)


    I'll be returning from three months in Iraq in September, and I want to make
    a dinner with an "Iowa" theme. My current plan is:

    Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches
    Iceberg lettuce wedge with tomatoes, onions, bacon, and fresh cream
    dressing[1]
    Corn on the cob
    Rhubarb crunch with homemade vanilla ice cream

    I think it needs more vegetables. Soybeans, maybe? (Iowa's a major producer
    of soybeans. But what would be a typical Iowa preparation?) Would potato
    salad be carb overkill (considering that the corn and the sandwich bun are
    both high-carb items)? Would watermelon fit into the meal?

    Bob
    [1] The salad dressing recipe is from _Lettuce In Your Kitchen_, and uses
    cream instead of oil as the fat.


  19. #19
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What to have *with* Iowa tenderloin sandwiches?

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:10:41 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > I think it needs more vegetables. Soybeans, maybe? (Iowa's a major producer
    > of soybeans. But what would be a typical Iowa preparation?) Would potato
    > salad be carb overkill (considering that the corn and the sandwich bun are
    > both high-carb items)? Would watermelon fit into the meal?


    Maybe this site will inspire you.
    http://iowa.com/ilearn/iowa-food-products/

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  20. #20
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: What to have *with* Iowa tenderloin sandwiches?

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Iowa's a major producer of soybeans. But what would be a typical
    > Iowa preparation?


    I think the bovine and porcine populations of Iowa could tell you.

    S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32