Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 160

Thread: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

  1. #1
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a book
    because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love to read. But
    there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. Any
    suggestions for a take-along lunch?

    Jill


  2. #2
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a
    > book because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find
    > out if I'll actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love
    > to read. But there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing
    > I need to brown bag it. When I was in school no one was concerned
    > about things like peanut butter allergies. Since I've been reading
    > this newsgroup I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well,
    > PB&J is pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well
    > without being refrigerated. Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >
    > Jill


    Every time I've been called or served, there have been lunch breaks.




  3. #3
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 2:41*pm, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *I've been told to bring a book
    > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    > actually serve on a jury. *Books aren't a problem; I love to read. *But
    > there's no mention of a break for lunch. *I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    > it. *When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    > butter allergies. *Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    > people tend to freak out about peanuts. *Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    > sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. *Any
    > suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >
    > Jill


    Most of the lawyers and probably the judge will want a lunch break -
    I'd stick some innocuous snacks in my bag, just in case, and hope for
    the best. Take some cut apples, grapes, fruit rollups or the like in
    a baggie....something you can eat without being conspicuous.

    N.

  4. #4
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    Nunya Bidnits <[email protected]> wrote:
    > jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a
    >> book because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find
    >> out if I'll actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love
    >> to read. But there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing
    >> I need to brown bag it. When I was in school no one was concerned
    >> about things like peanut butter allergies. Since I've been reading
    >> this newsgroup I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts.
    >> Well, PB&J is pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well
    >> without being refrigerated. Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    > Every time I've been called or served, there have been lunch breaks.


    I should add that when I was actually on a jury that went to deliberation,
    they brought in lunch for us once it reached that point, and let us pick out
    where it would come from.



  5. #5
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    jmcquown wrote:
    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a book
    > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if
    > I'll actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love to read.
    > But there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing I need to
    > brown bag it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things
    > like peanut butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup
    > I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is
    > pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well without being
    > refrigerated. Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >
    > Jill



    Hard salami, hard roll, cheese. (sandwich form or separates)

    Foil packet of tuna or salmon.

    Ham and cheese sandwich.

    Fruit (apples, bananas, clementines, etc) and salted cashews or almonds.

    Beef jerky.

    Box of donuts :-)

    -Bob

  6. #6
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On 2012-02-15, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > suggestions for a take-along lunch?


    Plain bologna with mayo on white. Actually tastes better aged.
    That's if you can find a decent bologna. Even OM's beef bologna has
    declined in quality/flavor to such an extent, it's no longer worth
    buying, at any price.

    nb

    --
    Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    vi --the heart of evil!

  7. #7
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    Jill,

    This may not be the same or every courthouse.

    I sat on jury duty twice at the county courthouse.

    They served coffee and Danish in the hallway for minimal charge.

    When we broke for lunch the court gave us "Juror" lapel buttons. When you
    walked into any nearby restaurant they served you immediately off a
    juror's menu or main menu at 5 or 10% off (I forget which).

    If your courthouse is a distance from restaurant, by all means bring your
    own goodies or a hoagie.

    Sitting in a crowded juror's room on an empty stomach is not fun. Maybe
    have an early breakfast for a change too?

    Curiously, is it in federal or county court?

    I never got to be a member of a jury. Just the $12.50 for the day.

    Best,

    Andy

  8. #8
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?


    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> brown bag it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things
    >> like peanut butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup
    >> I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is
    >> pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well without being
    >> refrigerated. Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    >

    (snippety)
    >
    > Box of donuts :-)
    >
    > -Bob


    ROFLMAO! What a brilliant idea! I should bring a thermos of strong black
    coffee, too After all, there will be cops in the building. Heheh.

    Jill


  9. #9
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:41:27 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a book
    >because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    >actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love to read. But
    >there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    >it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    >butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    >people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    >sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. Any
    >suggestions for a take-along lunch?


    This is a new thread but so far nobody has mentioned how hard it it is
    getting into a courthouse. Around here it's about the same as getting
    on an airplaine. I'd buy my food after they groped me.

    Lou

  10. #10
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:16:28 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]..
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>> brown bag it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things
    >>> like peanut butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup
    >>> I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is
    >>> pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well without being
    >>> refrigerated. Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >>>
    >>> Jill

    >>
    >>

    >(snippety)
    >>
    >> Box of donuts :-)
    >>
    >> -Bob

    >
    >ROFLMAO! What a brilliant idea! I should bring a thermos of strong black
    >coffee, too After all, there will be cops in the building. Heheh.


    Idiot. Try that and get back to us.

  11. #11
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 2:58*pm, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
    > On 2012-02-15, jmcquown <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > suggestions for a take-along lunch?

    >
    > Plain bologna with mayo on white. *Actually tastes better aged.
    > That's if you can find a decent bologna. *Even OM's beef bologna has
    > declined in quality/flavor to such an extent, it's no longer worth
    > buying, at any price.


    Great diet food. Not only is it completely unappetizing, it might
    make you puke up anything else you ate.
    >
    > nb


    --Bryan

  12. #12
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > Jill,
    >
    > This may not be the same or every courthouse.
    >

    Obviously not

    > I sat on jury duty twice at the county courthouse.
    >
    > They served coffee and Danish in the hallway for minimal charge.
    >
    > When we broke for lunch the court gave us "Juror" lapel buttons. When you
    > walked into any nearby restaurant they served you immediately off a
    > juror's menu or main menu at 5 or 10% off (I forget which).
    >
    > If your courthouse is a distance from restaurant, by all means bring your
    > own goodies or a hoagie.
    >

    I know where the courthouse is, but I don't know of any restaurants near it.
    Seems to me there's a (fried) chicken place. A local joint, not something
    like KFC.

    > Sitting in a crowded juror's room on an empty stomach is not fun. Maybe
    > have an early breakfast for a change too?
    >

    Yeah, I probably will.

    > Curiously, is it in federal or county court?
    >

    It's county; Magistrates Court. (Yes, things are still very provincial here
    in South Carolina.) According to what I can tell online it's small claims
    court. Someone decided they wanted a jury trial over something so far as I
    can tell isn't worth more than $7500. Should be interesting. Hopefully it
    won't last long. I really don't want to pack a lunch every day for nothing.

    > I never got to be a member of a jury. Just the $12.50 for the day.
    >

    Heh. I only get $10 (here's where the peanut gallery gets to chime in with
    jokes) plus I have to keep track of my mileage.

    Jill


  13. #13
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:24:18 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:


    >Heh. I only get $10 (here's where the peanut gallery gets to chime in with
    >jokes)


    I'll start. The joke is YOU!

  14. #14
    ItsJoanNotJoann Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 2:45*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    september.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > jmcquown <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *But there's no mention of a break for lunch.
    > > Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?

    >
    > > Jill

    >
    > Every time I've been called or served, there have been lunch breaks.


    >
    >

    Same here.

  15. #15
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 12:55*pm, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    > > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *I've been told to bring a book
    > > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if
    > > I'll actually serve on a jury. *Books aren't a problem; I love to read.
    > > But there's no mention of a break for lunch. *I'm guessing I need to
    > > brown bag it. *When I was in school no one was concerned about things
    > > like peanut butter allergies. *Since I've been reading this newsgroup
    > > I've noticed people tend to freak out about peanuts. *Well, PB&J is
    > > pretty much the only sandwich I know that travels well without being
    > > refrigerated. *Any suggestions for a take-along lunch?

    >
    > > Jill

    >
    > Hard salami, hard roll, cheese. *(sandwich form or separates)
    >
    > Foil packet of tuna or salmon.
    >
    > Ham and cheese sandwich.
    >
    > Fruit (apples, bananas, clementines, etc) and salted cashews or almonds.
    >
    > Beef jerky.
    >
    > Box of donuts :-)
    >
    > -Bob


    Maybe a sterno stove, can opener and a can of Cambell's Bean and Bacon
    soup.

  16. #16
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?


    On 15-Feb-2012, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a book
    > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if
    > I'll
    > actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love to read. But
    > there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    >
    > it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    > butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    > people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is pretty much the
    > only
    > sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. Any
    > suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >
    > Jill


    When I have been called for jury duty there were lunch breaks; however,
    every restaurant within walking distance was packed. Get to, get seated
    in and finally getting food took so much time that it had to be wolfed down
    to rush back in time. I was selected for a jury and spent a total of 10
    days at the court house; the restaurants were always a problem. You
    community may be different; but here in St. Louis County Missouri, taking
    lunch is not a bad idea. You might check ahead of time to see if there is
    a microwave available to heat something; that opens up a lot of
    possibilities, including freezing something you make.


    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  17. #17
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 12:41*pm, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *I've been told to bring a book
    > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    > actually serve on a jury. *Books aren't a problem; I love to read. *But
    > there's no mention of a break for lunch. *I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    > it. *When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    > butter allergies. *Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    > people tend to freak out about peanuts. *Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    > sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. *Any
    > suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >
    > Jill


    Not really, but I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did the
    one time I did it. It really opens up your eyes, and I think it should
    be required for everyone, especially the younger adults.

  18. #18
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 2:00*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 12:41*pm, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *I've been told to bring a book
    > > because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    > > actually serve on a jury. *Books aren't a problem; I love to read. *But
    > > there's no mention of a break for lunch. *I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    > > it. *When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    > > butter allergies. *Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    > > people tend to freak out about peanuts. *Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    > > sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. *Any
    > > suggestions for a take-along lunch?

    >
    > > Jill

    >
    > Not really, but I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did the
    > one time I did it. It really opens up your eyes, and I think it should
    > be required for everyone, especially the younger adults.


    The one jury I was on was a waste of the tax payer's money. A drug
    addict who got caught at work with drugs. She tried to say the company
    planted the drugs in her car and that they planted a razor blade in
    her purse. Obviously she was guilty.

  19. #19
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On 15/02/2012 5:00 PM, merryb wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 12:41 pm, "jmcquown"<j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >> I've been called to serve on jury duty. I've been told to bring a book
    >> because I could be sitting there for hours just waiting to find out if I'll
    >> actually serve on a jury. Books aren't a problem; I love to read. But
    >> there's no mention of a break for lunch. I'm guessing I need to brown bag
    >> it. When I was in school no one was concerned about things like peanut
    >> butter allergies. Since I've been reading this newsgroup I've noticed
    >> people tend to freak out about peanuts. Well, PB&J is pretty much the only
    >> sandwich I know that travels well without being refrigerated. Any
    >> suggestions for a take-along lunch?
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    > Not really, but I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did the
    > one time I did it. It really opens up your eyes, and I think it should
    > be required for everyone, especially the younger adults.


    I used to have to spend a couple says per month in court. Since most of
    the cases involved me or my coworkers and I was ware of the process and
    the issues, it was interesting. Before that, experiences in court were
    mostly pretty boring. There is always the problem of trying to keep a
    straight face when you hear some of the stories people come up with.

  20. #20
    critters & me in azusa, ca Guest

    Default Re: Jury Duty - Pack a lunch?

    On Feb 15, 12:41*pm, "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I've been called to serve on jury duty. *I



    Here in L.A. county if you get a summons to serve, and are not
    selected, you only serve for one day usually at a local court house..
    Additionally, if you get a jury duty summons, it is only for one week,
    and each evening between 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM, you merely call in to the
    computer and enter you juror code and are informed whether or not you
    have to serve the next day. If you have an excuse that is valid then
    the next time you get called, you get to go to downtown L.A. to serve
    your time. Last time I was downtown for the entire day, I say 5
    people that I knew who got excused the previous time and had to join
    me.

    Used to be juror hell required to sit in the jury selection room for
    30 days until called and the pay was $5.00/day.

    Harriet & critters in rainy SoCal.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32