Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 129

Thread: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

  1. #1
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    cornbread a lot.)

    I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may
    as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.

    From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.

    Jill

  2. #2
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On Dec 31, 6:01*pm, jmcquown <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    > like making it from scratch. *(I know, it's not difficult. *I make
    > cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. *I figured I may
    > as well use it. *Now I remember why it's awful! *Way too much sugar.
    >
    > *From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    > years. *I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >
    > Jill


    >
    >

    Or to use it up instead of tossing it (yes, it's cheaply priced) you
    could have added more cornmeal to cut the sweetness.

  3. #3
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On Dec 31, 7:01*pm, jmcquown <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    > like making it from scratch. *(I know, it's not difficult. *I make
    > cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. *I figured I may
    > as well use it. *Now I remember why it's awful! *Way too much sugar.
    >
    > *From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    > years. *I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >
    > Jill


    Now my mom, who grew up on a farm and made things like biscuits and
    cornbread from scratch, buys it all the time. She likes it. She
    bakes it in a cast iron skillet that's seasoned with bacon grease.

  4. #4
    Judy Haffner Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...


    [email protected] wrote:

    >Now my mom, who grew up on a farm
    > and made things like biscuits and
    > cornbread from scratch, buys it all the
    > time. She likes it. She bakes it in a cast
    > iron skillet that's seasoned with bacon
    > grease.


    I like it too and have used it for many main dishes, and a corn
    casserole in particular that is so good, and even corn bread with green
    chilies, onion, broccoli, cheese, etc. and it's wonderful. I like sugar
    in my corn bread though, as to me is "blah" without it.

    Judy


  5. #5
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...


    "jmcquown" <j_mcquown@comcas[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    >like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    >cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may as
    > well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >
    > From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    > years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.


    That's the stuff my parents like. I don't like sweet cornbread myself. I
    got it a couple of times at Marie Callendars and it was so sweet I couldn't
    eat it.



  6. #6
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kbtt45$3bc$[email protected]..
    >
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >>I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    >>like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    >>cornbread a lot.)
    >>
    >> I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may
    >> as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >>
    >> From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    >> years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.

    >
    > That's the stuff my parents like. I don't like sweet cornbread myself. I
    > got it a couple of times at Marie Callendars and it was so sweet I
    > couldn't eat it.


    I don't care for sweet cornbread at all. When I worked at a school, we made
    sweet cornbread with melted butter and brown sugar poured over it. Yuck.

    Cheri


  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    Cheri wrote:
    > "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:kbtt45$3bc$[email protected]..
    >>
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't
    >>> feel like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I
    >>> make cornbread a lot.)
    >>>
    >>> I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I
    >>> may as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much
    >>> sugar. From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using
    >>> for years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.

    >>
    >> That's the stuff my parents like. I don't like sweet cornbread
    >> myself. I got it a couple of times at Marie Callendars and it was
    >> so sweet I couldn't eat it.

    >
    > I don't care for sweet cornbread at all. When I worked at a school,
    > we made sweet cornbread with melted butter and brown sugar poured
    > over it. Yuck.


    Oh ack! It does seem that people are more picky about their cornbread than
    anything else. The best I ever had came from QFC. I would treat myself to
    a piece of that and their awesome salad bar every Friday when I wasn't
    working late. Sadly they no longer have that cornbread and their salad bar
    is anything but awesome!

    This stuff was very dense and moist and not at all sweet. They seemed to
    use a very coarse grind of corn. They wrapped each piece in plastic and
    topped it with a packet of honey (which I did not eat) and a pat of real
    butter. It was sooo good I ate it at room temperature.

    I wish I could find a recipe for the kind I made for Angela. I used to buy
    a mix and I think all I added was water and oil. It had no dairy or eggs
    and was not sweet at all. There was no kind of additional flour either.
    Just all cornmeal and leavening.



  8. #8
    MotoFox Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    And it came to pass that Julie Bove delivered the following message unto
    the people, saying~

    > That's the stuff my parents like. I don't like sweet cornbread myself. I
    > got it a couple of times at Marie Callendars and it was so sweet I
    > couldn't eat it.


    Marie's is all I ever get; I usually also put a can's worth of sweet corn
    in the batter. Better than the last couple boxes of Jiffy I've used, which
    tasted like cardboard and had a very dry, gritty texture. Probably why
    it's so cheap.

  9. #9
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On 12/31/2012 10:38 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Dec 31, 6:01 pm, jmcquown <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    >> like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    >> cornbread a lot.)
    >>
    >> I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may
    >> as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >>
    >> From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    >> years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    >>
    >>

    > Or to use it up instead of tossing it (yes, it's cheaply priced) you
    > could have added more cornmeal to cut the sweetness.
    >

    I didn't toss it. I added lots of salt to the batter until it almost
    tasted like cornbread. I *did* think about adding cornmeal but it would
    have required a lot of it. Then the texture would be off. It probably
    would have required another egg, possibly more milk. I'm not going to
    waste much time doctoring up a 25 cent box of Jiffy mix.

    Jill

  10. #10
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On 1/1/2013 9:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:

    >>> I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    >>> like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    >>> cornbread a lot.)
    >>>
    >>> I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may
    >>> as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >>>
    >>> From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    >>> years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >>>
    >>> Jill



    That Jiffy type of sweet cornbread was the only kind I ever had until I
    moved to TX. Becca's cornbread (cooked in a cast iron skillet) is
    nowhere near as sweet.

    I like them both... the Jiffy type is good as a muffin or by itself and
    the Southern kind is good when you eat it with a meal instead of bread
    or rolls.

    Different strokes.

    George L


  11. #11
    pltrgyst Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On 1/1/13 11:25 AM, George Leppla wrote:

    > I like them both... the Jiffy type is good as a muffin or by itself and
    > the Southern kind is good when you eat it with a meal instead of bread
    > or rolls.
    >
    > Different strokes.


    Yep -- me too. I like sweet cornbread. When I use a box of Jiffy, I
    always add a half-cup of frozen corn.

    -- Larry


  12. #12
    l not -l Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...


    On 31-Dec-2012, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't
    > feel
    > like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    > cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I
    > may
    > as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >
    > From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    >
    > years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >
    > Jill


    Jiffy is a northern product and caters to those who think cornbread
    should contain sugar. The only mix I have used that is decent is Martha
    White brand; a Tennessee brand that reflects a southern view of what
    cornbread should be - no sugar added.

    Mostly, prefer cornbread to corn muffins and make from scratch; that is
    what I prefer and it is just as easy as boxed mix. 2 cups of medium or
    coarse ground cornmeal, 2 eggs, 2 cups buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
    teaspoon baking soda; pour it into a pre-heated cast iron skillet with a
    tablespoon fat (mmmm, bacon fat) and bake for about 20 minutes at 450F.

    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  13. #13
    Mr.E Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 17:24:57 GMT, "l not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >On 31-Dec-2012, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't
    >> feel
    >> like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    >> cornbread a lot.)
    >>
    >> I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I
    >> may
    >> as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >>
    >> From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    >>
    >> years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >>
    >> Jill

    >
    >Jiffy is a northern product and caters to those who think cornbread
    >should contain sugar. The only mix I have used that is decent is Martha
    >White brand; a Tennessee brand that reflects a southern view of what
    >cornbread should be - no sugar added.
    >
    >Mostly, prefer cornbread to corn muffins and make from scratch; that is
    >what I prefer and it is just as easy as boxed mix. 2 cups of medium or
    >coarse ground cornmeal, 2 eggs, 2 cups buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
    >teaspoon baking soda; pour it into a pre-heated cast iron skillet with a
    >tablespoon fat (mmmm, bacon fat) and bake for about 20 minutes at 450F.


    For a mix, the wife and I like Gladiola yellow by Martha White. I
    fully agree Jiffy is too sweet for our southern taste.
    --
    Mr.E

  14. #14
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't
    > feel like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I
    > make cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I
    > may as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much
    > sugar.
    >
    > From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    > years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.


    Grin, it's more a new englanders version of what cornbread is supposed
    to be like and i actually like it since i grew up with it. Mom would
    add raisens and bake it up as a sort of dessert almost item.

    --


  15. #15
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    >
    > On 31-Dec-2012, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't
    > > feel
    > > like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    > > cornbread a lot.)
    > >
    > > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I
    > > may
    > > as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    > >
    > > From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using
    > > for
    > >
    > > years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    > >
    > > Jill

    >
    > Jiffy is a northern product and caters to those who think cornbread
    > should contain sugar. The only mix I have used that is decent is
    > Martha White brand; a Tennessee brand that reflects a southern view
    > of what cornbread should be - no sugar added.
    >
    > Mostly, prefer cornbread to corn muffins and make from scratch; that
    > is what I prefer and it is just as easy as boxed mix. 2 cups of
    > medium or coarse ground cornmeal, 2 eggs, 2 cups buttermilk, 1
    > teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda; pour it into a pre-heated cast
    > iron skillet with a tablespoon fat (mmmm, bacon fat) and bake for
    > about 20 minutes at 450F.


    Yup. I know how to make the real stuff too (I use much more fat and
    bake it in a cast iron frying pan in the oven) but i still like the
    northern jiffy mix now and again.

    I will add though you can seriously throw off a recipe if it says to
    serve with cornbread and you use the wrong one. They seldom will mean
    jiffymix type (exceptions are a cornbread and milk with sweetner and
    fruit).


    --


  16. #16
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    In article <[email protected]>,
    jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had a hankering for cornbread or corn muffins but I really didn't feel
    > like making it from scratch. (I know, it's not difficult. I make
    > cornbread a lot.)
    >
    > I had this box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry. I figured I may
    > as well use it. Now I remember why it's awful! Way too much sugar.
    >
    > From now on I'll stick to the from scratch recipe I've been using for
    > years. I don't even recall buying that box of muffin mix.
    >
    > Jill


    <whispers> I like it.
    --
    Barb,
    http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.

  17. #17
    Tara Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    I grew up with unsweetened cornbread, so that is what I prefer. Sweet
    cornbread just doesn't work with beans and greens. That said, my husband
    and boys like Jiffy corn muffins. I keep that cheap little box around
    for some quick muffins to round out a skimpy dinner, especially if the
    dinner is baked in the oven.

    Tara

  18. #18
    Judy Haffner Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...


    l*not*-l wrote:

    >Jiffy is a northern product and caters to
    > those who think cornbread should
    > contain sugar. The only mix I have used
    > that is decent is Martha White brand; a
    > Tennessee brand that reflects a
    > southern view of what cornbread should
    > be - no sugar added.


    Well, guess that explains it then, as I live about as far North as one
    can get, and have never been down South, so for me, cornbread/muffins
    taste 'blah' to me without any sugar. My mother always made them from
    scratch and was sugar in the batter, so that's the way I like it best.
    I will use a Jiffy mix in a pinch for certain things though, but not for
    just regular corn bread, or muffins. I like Albertson's yellow cornmeal
    and the recipes on the box..that call for some sugar added. Don't want
    any dry, tasteless cornbread!

    Judy


  19. #19
    Tara Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    I forgot to mention that Jiffy mix does make tasty waffles. Follow the
    waffle directions on the side of the box. They are delicious topped with
    blueberries.

    Also, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving in my house without Jiffy corn
    casserole.

    Tara

  20. #20
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix...

    On 12/31/2012 10:33 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Now my mom, who grew up on a farm
    >> and made things like biscuits and
    >> cornbread from scratch, buys it all the
    >> time. She likes it. She bakes it in a cast
    >> iron skillet that's seasoned with bacon
    >> grease.

    >
    > I like it too and have used it for many main dishes, and a corn
    > casserole in particular that is so good, and even corn bread with green
    > chilies, onion, broccoli, cheese, etc. and it's wonderful. I like sugar
    > in my corn bread though, as to me is "blah" without it.
    >
    > Judyor
    >



    I like it, too. The texture isn't too dry or "sandy" and the flavor is
    good even with added chiles or craisins.

    gloria p

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32