Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

  1. #1
    Gill Smith Guest

    Default Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    big disappointment, having grown them

    but now I know why I never tasted them before

    they are disgusting

    --
    http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/



  2. #2
    Bob Hobden Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!



    "Gill Smith" wrote

    big disappointment, having grown them

    but now I know why I never tasted them before

    they are disgusting

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after effect
    is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)

    --
    Regards
    Bob Hobden
    W.of London. UK


  3. #3
    Sacha Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On 2010-11-14 22:19:37 +0000, "Gill Smith"
    <[email protected]> said:

    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting


    Not even as soup? Or gently friend in butter when sliced thinly? To
    me they have a mildly nutty taste and I like them a lot.
    --
    Sacha
    www.hillhousenursery.com
    South Devon



  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:19:37 -0000, Gill Smith wrote:

    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting


    I liked them (sunchokes) a lot the first and only time I've tried
    them. Sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned, they had a nice
    nutty, rich taste.

    -sw

  5. #5
    Kathy McIntosh Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    "Sacha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On 2010-11-14 22:19:37 +0000, "Gill Smith" <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>
    >> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>
    >> they are disgusting

    >
    > Not even as soup? Or gently friend in butter when sliced thinly? To me
    > they have a mildly nutty taste and I like them a lot.


    I like them roast, but I will never, ever, make soup with them again. It
    was disgusting!

    --
    Kathy


  6. #6
    Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    In uk.rec.gardening Gill Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting


    Heh. I had almost exactly the same series of thoughts when I did the same.
    Unfortunately once you grow the buggers once, they're really rather tricky
    to convince to stop growing!


  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!


    "Gill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] o.uk...
    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting


    I tried them raw. They were just okay. Nothing I wanted to eat again. But
    the gas afterwards? Oh momma. Never again.



  8. #8
    Rusty Hinge Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    Gill Smith wrote:
    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting


    There's no accounting for taste. I love them. Try scrubbing some,
    cutting them into small pieces and whopping them up in a liquidiser with
    proper stock.

    While liquidising, I tend to bung in an onion, frehly-ground black
    pepper and celery seeds, as well as a scrape of nutmeg.

    That's all you need for a good, thick, nourishing soup.

    --
    Rusty

  9. #9
    Charlie Pridham Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    >
    >
    > "Gill Smith" wrote
    >
    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after effect
    > is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)
    >
    >

    Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we did of
    giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the consequences
    were most unpleasant
    --
    Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
    www.roselandhouse.co.uk
    Holders of national collections of Clematis viticella cultivars and
    Lapageria rosea

  10. #10
    Dave Hill Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On Nov 15, 12:56*pm, Charlie Pridham <char...@roselandhouse.co.uk>
    wrote:
    > In article <7qidndnAbrvO-X3RnZ2dnUVZ8hidn...@bt.com>, B...@privacy.net
    > says...
    >
    > > "Gill Smith" *wrote

    >
    > > big disappointment, having grown them

    >
    > > but now I know why I never tasted them before

    >
    > > they are disgusting

    >
    > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
    > > We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after effect
    > > is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)

    >
    > Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we did of
    > giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the consequences
    > were most unpleasant
    > --
    > Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
    > Holders of national collections of Clematis viticella cultivars and
    > Lapageria rosea


    Cut thinly they make a good substitute for water chestnuts in a stir
    fry.
    They are known to stop the wind when growing and to release it after
    being eaten.
    Hope I get some this year, I've had to grow them in the "Cage" as
    every time I have tried before the badgers have cleared them out
    without a trace..

  11. #11
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!


    Dave Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 12:56 pm, Charlie Pridham <char...@roselandhouse.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >> In article <7qidndnAbrvO-X3RnZ2dnUVZ8hidn...@bt.com>,
    >> B...@privacy.net says...
    >>
    >>> "Gill Smith" wrote

    >>
    >>> big disappointment, having grown them

    >>
    >>> but now I know why I never tasted them before

    >>
    >>> they are disgusting

    >>
    >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
    >>> We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the
    >>> after effect is not pleasant either, especially for other people.
    >>> :-)

    >>
    >> Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we
    >> did of giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the
    >> consequences were most unpleasant
    >> --
    >> Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
    >> Holders of national collections of Clematis viticella cultivars and
    >> Lapageria rosea

    >
    > Cut thinly they make a good substitute for water chestnuts in a stir
    > fry.
    > They are known to stop the wind when growing and to release it after
    > being eaten.
    > Hope I get some this year, I've had to grow them in the "Cage" as
    > every time I have tried before the badgers have cleared them out
    > without a trace..


    No wonder badgers are so notoriously bad tempered!



  12. #12
    Judith in France Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    X-No-Archive:Yes
    On Nov 15, 2:32*pm, Dave Hill <da...@abacus-nurseries.co.uk> wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 12:56*pm, Charlie Pridham <char...@roselandhouse.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article <7qidndnAbrvO-X3RnZ2dnUVZ8hidn...@bt.com>, B...@privacy.net
    > > says...

    >
    > > > "Gill Smith" *wrote

    >
    > > > big disappointment, having grown them

    >
    > > > but now I know why I never tasted them before

    >
    > > > they are disgusting

    >
    > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------**-----
    > > > We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after effect
    > > > is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)

    >
    > > Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we did of
    > > giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the consequences
    > > were most unpleasant
    > > --
    > > Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
    > > Holders of national collections of Clematis viticella cultivars and
    > > Lapageria rosea

    >
    > Cut thinly they make a good substitute for water chestnuts in a stir
    > fry.
    > They are known to stop the wind when growing and to release it after
    > being eaten.
    > Hope I get some this year, I've had to grow them in the "Cage" as
    > every time I have tried before the badgers have cleared them out
    > without a trace..- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Dave, ours are wonderful, I've got some roasting in the oven with a
    stuffed duck. I shall not be available for social calls tomorrow :-)

  13. #13
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:02:00 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:19:37 -0000, Gill Smith wrote:
    >
    >> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>
    >> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>
    >> they are disgusting

    >
    > I liked them (sunchokes) a lot the first and only time I've tried
    > them. Sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned, they had a nice
    > nutty, rich taste.
    >
    > -sw


    have you used them in a stir-fry, steve?

    your pal,
    blake

  14. #14
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:27:27 -0500, blake murphy wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:02:00 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:19:37 -0000, Gill Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>>
    >>> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>>
    >>> they are disgusting

    >>
    >> I liked them (sunchokes) a lot the first and only time I've tried
    >> them. Sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned, they had a nice
    >> nutty, rich taste.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > have you used them in a stir-fry, steve?


    I wouldn't put them in a stir fry with strong flavors. No Asian
    flavors. Nah.

    -sw

  15. #15
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:39:39 -0600, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:27:27 -0500, blake murphy wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:02:00 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:19:37 -0000, Gill Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>>>
    >>>> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>>>
    >>>> they are disgusting
    >>>
    >>> I liked them (sunchokes) a lot the first and only time I've tried
    >>> them. Sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned, they had a nice
    >>> nutty, rich taste.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> have you used them in a stir-fry, steve?

    >
    >I wouldn't put them in a stir fry with strong flavors. No Asian
    >flavors. Nah.
    >
    >-sw


    Why not... they're bland but crunchy, like water chestnuts.

  16. #16
    Christina Websell Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!


    "Charlie Pridham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] T...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > says...
    >>
    >>
    >> "Gill Smith" wrote
    >>
    >> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>
    >> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>
    >> they are disgusting
    >>
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after
    >> effect
    >> is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)
    >>
    >>

    > Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we did of
    > giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the consequences
    > were most unpleasant
    > --

    LOL! Now that was not nice. Always blame the dog for bad smells!
    Tina




  17. #17
    Christina Websell Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!


    "Judith in France" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    X-No-Archive:Yes
    On Nov 15, 2:32 pm, Dave Hill <da...@abacus-nurseries.co.uk> wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 12:56 pm, Charlie Pridham <char...@roselandhouse.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article <7qidndnAbrvO-X3RnZ2dnUVZ8hidn...@bt.com>, B...@privacy.net
    > > says...

    >
    > > > "Gill Smith" wrote

    >
    > > > big disappointment, having grown them

    >
    > > > but now I know why I never tasted them before

    >
    > > > they are disgusting

    >
    > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------**-----
    > > > We only grew them once too, nothing to recommend them IMO, the after
    > > > effect
    > > > is not pleasant either, especially for other people. :-)

    >
    > > Commonly called Fartichokes around here! Never make the mistake we did
    > > of
    > > giving the un eaten stew containing them to the dog, the consequences
    > > were most unpleasant
    > > --
    > > Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
    > > Holders of national collections of Clematis viticella cultivars and
    > > Lapageria rosea

    >
    > Cut thinly they make a good substitute for water chestnuts in a stir
    > fry.
    > They are known to stop the wind when growing and to release it after
    > being eaten.
    > Hope I get some this year, I've had to grow them in the "Cage" as
    > every time I have tried before the badgers have cleared them out
    > without a trace..- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Dave, ours are wonderful, I've got some roasting in the oven with a
    stuffed duck. I shall not be available for social calls tomorrow :-)
    --
    Why on earth not? <grin>
    Tina




  18. #18
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    In article <[email protected] >,
    "Gill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > big disappointment, having grown them
    >
    > but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >
    > they are disgusting
    >
    > --
    > http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/


    Ok, so how did you prepare them? I've always found them to be tasty but
    rarely eat them as they cause gastric upset for me.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Gill Smith Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    "Sacha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On 2010-11-14 22:19:37 +0000, "Gill Smith" <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>
    >> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>
    >> they are disgusting

    >
    > Not even as soup? Or gently friend in butter when sliced thinly? To me
    > they have a mildly nutty taste and I like them a lot.


    I'm afraid of mixing them with anything

    in case the dislike becomes contagious and spreads to stuff I mix them with

    --
    http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/



  20. #20
    Gill Smith Guest

    Default Re: Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

    "Omelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > In article <[email protected] >,
    > "Gill Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> big disappointment, having grown them
    >>
    >> but now I know why I never tasted them before
    >>
    >> they are disgusting
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

    >
    > Ok, so how did you prepare them?


    'nestling' (whoa!) on a bed of rice

    so they sort of got steamed

    --
    http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32