Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

  1. #1
    notbob Guest

    Default I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.

    nb

  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 22:05:10 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    > marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    > squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    > have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    > online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.
    >
    > nb


    Are you gay, Bob?

    Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.

    -sw

  3. #3
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    >> marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    >> squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    >> have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    >> online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.
    >>
    >> nb

    >
    > Are you gay, Bob?
    >
    > Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    > we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.



    Are you stupid, Steve?

    nb


  4. #4
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:31:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    >>> marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    >>> squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    >>> have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    >>> online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.
    >>>
    >>> nb

    >>
    >> Are you gay, Bob?
    >>
    >> Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    >> we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.

    >
    >
    >Are you stupid, Steve?
    >
    >nb



    That's rhetorical I'd presume?


    --

    Stu

    Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

  5. #5
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:31:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>> I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    > >>> marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    > >>> squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    > >>> have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    > >>> online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.
    > >>>
    > >>> nb
    > >>
    > >> Are you gay, Bob?
    > >>
    > >> Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    > >> we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.

    > >
    > >
    > >Are you stupid, Steve?
    > >
    > >nb

    >
    >
    > That's rhetorical I'd presume?
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stu
    >
    > Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    > http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html


    <grins>

    Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! I'd eliminate the walnuts (they
    are bitter) and would add additional vanilla and lemon extracts, and at
    least 1/4 cup of dark rum. Also to the fruits, I'd add dried
    cranberries. ;-d
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:31:21 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:


    >> Are you gay, Bob?
    >>
    >> Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    >> we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.

    >
    > Are you stupid, Steve?


    Nope. I'm part of the 100+ crowd.

    You?

    -sw

  7. #7
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nope. I'm part of the 100+ crowd.
    >
    > You?


    I guess I'm stupid. I have no idea what the "100+ crowd" is. I'm
    still wondering about your first question. I've never been asked that
    question before, at least not by anyone who wasn't obviously trying to
    be cute or funny or jes casting childish insults. I, myself, have
    asked that question. I asked Wayne Boatright. He answered truthfully
    and I replied in kind. So, I'll do the same. No, Steve, I'm not gay.



    nb

  8. #8
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Nov 7, 8:08*am, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <ho8dd696a92mmrabq9cv85b4po3122k...@4ax.com>,
    >
    >
    >
    > *Stu <s...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:31:21 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

    >
    > > >On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <sqwe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

    >
    > > >>> I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    > > >>> marinade to do the other half of the loin. *Will be baking an acorn
    > > >>> squash to go with the pork. *Only have store-bought potato salad,but
    > > >>> have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. *Hope you'll join me
    > > >>> online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.

    >
    > > >>> nb

    >
    > > >> Are you gay, Bob?

    >
    > > >> Not that there's anything wrong with that. *I just thought maybe
    > > >> we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.

    >
    > > >Are you stupid, Steve?

    >
    > > >nb

    >
    > > That's rhetorical I'd presume?

    >
    > > --

    >
    > > Stu

    >
    > > Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    > >http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

    >
    > <grins>
    >
    > Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! *I'd eliminate the walnuts.


    The answer to the bitterness of walnuts, shagbark or shellbark hickory
    nuts, if you can get them.

    > --
    > Peace! Om


    --Bryan

  9. #9
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 08:08:04 -0600, Omelet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 12:31:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >>> I'll be making half a pork loin roast and some cha shua (Chinese BBQ)
    >> >>> marinade to do the other half of the loin. Will be baking an acorn
    >> >>> squash to go with the pork. Only have store-bought potato salad, but
    >> >>> have some good white Burgundy to top it all off. Hope you'll join me
    >> >>> online for some mealtime manglement and mucho Moelleux merriment.
    >> >>>
    >> >>> nb
    >> >>
    >> >> Are you gay, Bob?
    >> >>
    >> >> Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought maybe
    >> >> we'd all be more comfortable if you'd just say so.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >Are you stupid, Steve?
    >> >
    >> >nb

    >>
    >>
    >> That's rhetorical I'd presume?
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Stu
    >>
    >> Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    >> http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

    >
    ><grins>
    >
    >Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! I'd eliminate the walnuts (they
    >are bitter) and would add additional vanilla and lemon extracts, and at
    >least 1/4 cup of dark rum. Also to the fruits, I'd add dried
    >cranberries. ;-d


    Terrific, like his hat ;-0


    --

    Stu

    Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:27:09 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Nope. I'm part of the 100+ crowd.
    >>
    >> You?

    >
    > I guess I'm stupid. I have no idea what the "100+ crowd" is.


    It's not quite Mensa, but it's good enough.

    > No, Steve, I'm not gay.


    Me either.

    Small world, eh?

    -sw










  11. #11
    sf Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:27:09 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Nope. I'm part of the 100+ crowd.
    > >
    > > You?

    >
    > I guess I'm stupid. I have no idea what the "100+ crowd" is. I'm
    > still wondering about your first question. I've never been asked that
    > question before, at least not by anyone who wasn't obviously trying to
    > be cute or funny or jes casting childish insults. I, myself, have
    > asked that question. I asked Wayne Boatright. He answered truthfully
    > and I replied in kind. So, I'll do the same. No, Steve, I'm not gay.
    >

    How did that roast turn out?

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  12. #12
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:27:09 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Nope. I'm part of the 100+ crowd.
    >>
    >> You?

    >
    >I guess I'm stupid. I have no idea what the "100+ crowd" is. I'm
    >still wondering about your first question. I've never been asked that
    >question before, at least not by anyone who wasn't obviously trying to
    >be cute or funny or jes casting childish insults. I, myself, have
    >asked that question. I asked Wayne Boatright. He answered truthfully
    >and I replied in kind. So, I'll do the same. No, Steve, I'm not gay.
    >
    >
    >
    >nb



    Perhaps he want to see if you were amicable to the spirit of the
    lifestyle, and just wanted to date you.

    Ewwww

  13. #13
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On 2010-11-07, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How did that roast turn out?


    Freakin' excellent!!

    Had a great dinner last night and jes now cut a 1/2" slice and warmed it
    up and slapped it between 2 slices of 12 grain bread w/ mayo and extra hot
    horseradish. Where has this dish been all my life!?

    I only used half of the largish roast and put the other half into
    marinade for cha shua (chinese bbq pork). I will be roasting that
    tonight for banh mi sandwiches.

    nb

  14. #14
    Omelet Guest

    Default Fruitcake! (was Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n)

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    > > >http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

    > >
    > > <grins>
    > >
    > > Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! *I'd eliminate the walnuts.

    >
    > The answer to the bitterness of walnuts, shagbark or shellbark hickory
    > nuts, if you can get them.


    Pecans are cheap in Texas. :-) He includes those in the recipe, and I'd
    simply replace the walnuts with Brazil nuts.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    > >> http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

    > >
    > ><grins>
    > >
    > >Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! I'd eliminate the walnuts (they
    > >are bitter) and would add additional vanilla and lemon extracts, and at
    > >least 1/4 cup of dark rum. Also to the fruits, I'd add dried
    > >cranberries. ;-d

    >
    > Terrific, like his hat ;-0
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stu


    <grins>

    The hat is amusing. That's not a bad thing imho... ;-D
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:34:20 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I only used half of the largish roast


    How big was it? Sounds huge!

    > and put the other half into
    > marinade for cha shua (chinese bbq pork). I will be roasting that
    > tonight for banh mi sandwiches.


    Did you make the rolls already??? I know you have the baguette pan.
    I'm in chat right now.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:34:20 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > I only used half of the largish roast and put the other half into
    > marinade for cha shua (chinese bbq pork).


    You mean Char sui? Also spelled cha siu, chashao, and char siew,
    but never cha shua unless you're making it out of a small dog.

    -sw

  18. #18
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You mean Char sui? Also spelled cha siu, chashao, and char siew,
    > but never cha shua unless you're making it out of a small dog.


    heh heh....

    It's not like my spellchecker has a handle on this. I certainly am
    confused:

    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Cha_Shao
    ^
    |
    That stuff ------------------------------

    It's in the bag.

    nb

  19. #19
    Aussie Guest

    Default REC: Re: Fruitcake! (was Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n)

    Omelet <[email protected]> wrote in newsmpomelet-7AD227.11522007112010
    @news.giganews.com:

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > > Recipe of the week "Christmas Fruit Cake"
    >> > >http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html
    >> >
    >> > <grins>
    >> >
    >> > Hey, enjoying the fruit cake recipe! *I'd eliminate the walnuts.

    >>
    >> The answer to the bitterness of walnuts, shagbark or shellbark hickory
    >> nuts, if you can get them.

    >
    > Pecans are cheap in Texas. :-) He includes those in the recipe, and I'd
    > simply replace the walnuts with Brazil nuts.



    Peters Christmas Cake.


    500g (1 lb) butter
    500g (1 lb) Brown Sugar (the darker the better)
    2 level tablespoons Mixed Spice
    2 level dessertspoons Cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
    12 eggs separated
    500g (1 lb) Flour
    1 teaspoon Baking Powder
    Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
    1kg (2 lb) Seeded Raisins
    500g (1 lb) Sultanas (Can use 2kg of mixed fruit for the
    raisins/sultanas/currants)
    500g (1 lb) Currants
    225g (1/2 lb) Mixed Peel
    225g (1/2 lb) Cherries (I used Glace' cherries)
    225g (1/2 lb) Almonds
    4 tablespoons Wine or Brandy (to marinate the fruit and nuts)
    1&1/2 cups combined red wine and brandy extra


    Cream butter sugar and spices together, add egg yolks and beat well.
    Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites alternatively with sifted flour and
    baking powder. Add grated rind and fruit and nuts. (Chop the cherries up
    and whizz the almonds (if whole) in a food processor). Lastly, add all
    the booze and mix.

    Grease and line your biggest cake tin with baking paper (mine's a 9"
    square and still wasn't big enough!! I ended up with a loaf pan full as
    well).

    Bake approx 5 hours at 120C (250F) and then 2 hours at 100C (200F)

    Note: With the egg whites, I put them and the flour in the mix in 3
    batches. The egg whites won't properly 'assimilate' by themselves so
    rather than spend too long trying to make them mix in, throw some flour
    in with them.
    And with the extra 1&1/2 cups of booze, mix them together in whatever
    quantities you want, and even add more if you wish... it'll just make
    the cake moister :-)

    My mix was predominately brandy with about 1/2 cup red wine



    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...istmas%20cake/


    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...istmas%20cake%
    202008/




    --
    Peter Lucas
    Hobart
    Tasmania

    If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
    you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !

  20. #20
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: I'm cookin' ....I'm chat'n

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 20:06:21 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-07, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> You mean Char sui? Also spelled cha siu, chashao, and char siew,
    >> but never cha shua unless you're making it out of a small dog.

    >
    > heh heh....
    >
    > It's not like my spellchecker has a handle on this. I certainly am
    > confused:
    >
    > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Cha_Shao


    I have never seen it spelled that way. I listed the spellings used
    99.99894156% of the time.

    -sw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32