Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    New Samsung refrigerator, the ice in trays just shattered when you
    twisted the trays (and twisting was not easy), so I hooked up the
    ice maker - problem solved. I love my ice maker, but I'm not too
    wild about the shape of the ice.

    But it doesn't have an ice cream maker attachment so I'm still
    buying B&J's, Haggen Dasz, and Blue Bell Gold Tim. I'm eating
    Imagine Whirled Peace right now.

    The freezer was set at -2F (the recommended setting according to the
    manufacturer) and I've increased it 2F at a time until it's warmest
    +8F. The ice cream is still pretty darn hard. It takes the instant
    gratification out of eating ice cream. I don't have a thermometer
    that goes low rnbough to verify that the temperature is as set, but
    I know the fridge is right (set at 36F, reads 35F).

    So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    soft and limp?

    -sw

  2. #2
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On May 21, 3:00*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > New Samsung refrigerator, the ice in trays just shattered when you
    > twisted the trays (and twisting was not easy), so I hooked up the
    > ice maker - problem solved. *I love my ice maker, but I'm not too
    > wild about the shape of the ice.
    >
    > But it doesn't have an ice cream maker attachment so I'm still
    > buying B&J's, Haggen Dasz, and Blue Bell Gold Tim. *I'm eating
    > Imagine Whirled Peace right now.
    >
    > The freezer was set at -2F (the recommended setting according to the
    > manufacturer) and I've increased it 2F at a time until it's warmest
    > +8F. *The ice cream is still pretty darn hard. *It takes the instant
    > gratification out of eating ice cream. *I don't have a thermometer
    > that goes low rnbough to verify that the temperature is as set, but
    > I know the fridge is right (set at 36F, reads 35F).
    >
    > So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    > soft and limp?


    My freezer doesn't have a temperature gauge. It has a dial that
    goes from 1 to 6 or something like that. It's probably on 3.

    We don't usually keep ice cream. Usually we get some kind of
    sugar-free double-whipped stuff from Breyer's, and it never gets
    really hard. Very rarely we get Haagen-Dasz, but I prefer
    Bailey's flavor, and it comes with its own anti-freeze. When
    I've got it, I put a bowl in the freezer so that my half-cup serving
    doesn't melt in the bowl before I can eat it.

    It's a side-by-side, and there are two places in the fridge
    compartment
    where air comes out of the freezer. I already have trouble with stuff
    freezing that gets accidentally shoved up against those ports.
    English muffins--not a problem. Lettuce--damn, damn, damn.

    Cindy Hamilton

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    > soft and limp?


    Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    or my money back!

    Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    *and* know the temperature of the freezer?

    Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?

    -sw

  4. #4
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:48:23 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    >> soft and limp?

    >
    >Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    >or my money back!
    >
    >Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    >*and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    >
    >Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?


    We have a new Samsung French door refrigerator. It's set at +4F and
    the ice cream is nicely firm. Soon after we got the thing, I checked
    the temp and it was spot on.

    I do love Thrifty ice cream from Rite Aid - better than the premium
    brands at the stupidmarket, AFAICS.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:48:23 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    > >
    > >> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    > >> soft and limp?

    > >
    > >Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    > >or my money back!
    > >
    > >Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    > >*and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    > >
    > >Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?


    Go to an appliance store and look for yourself. Otherwise take my
    word for it. Yes, digital readouts are still uncommon.
    >
    > We have a new Samsung French door refrigerator. It's set at +4F and
    > the ice cream is nicely firm. Soon after we got the thing, I checked
    > the temp and it was spot on.


    Checked it how? With your built in door thermometer?
    >
    > I do love Thrifty ice cream from Rite Aid - better than the premium
    > brands at the stupidmarket, AFAICS.
    >

    Sigh. Rite Aid sold all in town SF locations to Walgreens a couple of
    years ago. Now it's a real hunt to find one.... and I do crave their
    coconut pineapple ice cream on those rare hot days here.


    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  6. #6
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On 5/21/2010 3:00 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > New Samsung refrigerator, the ice in trays just shattered when you
    > twisted the trays (and twisting was not easy), so I hooked up the
    > ice maker - problem solved. I love my ice maker, but I'm not too
    > wild about the shape of the ice.
    >
    > But it doesn't have an ice cream maker attachment so I'm still
    > buying B&J's, Haggen Dasz, and Blue Bell Gold Tim. I'm eating
    > Imagine Whirled Peace right now.
    >
    > The freezer was set at -2F (the recommended setting according to the
    > manufacturer) and I've increased it 2F at a time until it's warmest
    > +8F. The ice cream is still pretty darn hard. It takes the instant
    > gratification out of eating ice cream. I don't have a thermometer
    > that goes low rnbough to verify that the temperature is as set, but
    > I know the fridge is right (set at 36F, reads 35F).
    >
    > So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    > soft and limp?


    The ice cream in every freezer I have ever had is rock hard. My
    microwave oven has a button that says "soften" and a menu selection for
    ice cream by the pint and the quart. Works a treat.


  7. #7
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:48:23 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    >>> soft and limp?

    >>
    >>Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    >>or my money back!
    >>
    >>Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    >>*and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    >>
    >>Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?

    >
    > We have a new Samsung French door refrigerator. It's set at +4F and
    > the ice cream is nicely firm. Soon after we got the thing, I checked
    > the temp and it was spot on.


    Yes, it's a side-by-side, but both sides are refrigerator and oen
    into the same compartment. With freezer on the bottom. I guess I
    see now whay they call them french doors insetad of side-by-sides
    (which imply freezer on one side, fridge on the other).

    "Nicely firm", though. That's relative :-) Mine is pretty darn
    hard even at +8. But that's ice cream with a lower underrun than
    what you're probably buying (Drug store brand ice cream?)

    -sw

  8. #8
    Sqwelz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:57:38 -0700, sf wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:48:23 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    >>>> soft and limp?
    >>>
    >>>Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    >>>or my money back!
    >>>
    >>>Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    >>>*and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    >>>
    >>>Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?

    >
    > Go to an appliance store and look for yourself. Otherwise take my
    > word for it. Yes, digital readouts are still uncommon.


    I *did* just shop for a fridge, and many of them (about half) had
    digital readouts. But I suspect not everybody has a fridge less
    than 3 years old. Or even 5.


    Why am I even responding to you? Pbbbt.

    -sw

  9. #9
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:45:41 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

    > The ice cream in every freezer I have ever had is rock hard. My
    > microwave oven has a button that says "soften" and a menu selection for
    > ice cream by the pint and the quart. Works a treat.


    I wondered about microwaving it. Say... 30 seconds on 20% (800W).
    I'll try that.

    -sw

  10. #10
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On May 22, 2:13*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
    > > On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:48:23 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >>On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    >
    > >>> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    > >>> soft and limp?

    >
    > >>Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    > >>or my money back!

    >
    > >>Really, it was a simple question. *Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    > >>*and* know the temperature of the freezer?

    >
    > >>Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?

    >
    > > We have a new Samsung French door refrigerator. It's set at +4F and
    > > the ice cream is nicely firm. Soon after we got the thing, I checked
    > > the temp and it was spot on.

    >
    > Yes, it's a side-by-side, but both sides are refrigerator and oen
    > into the same compartment. *With freezer on the bottom. *I guess I
    > see now whay they call them french doors insetad of side-by-sides
    > (which imply freezer on one side, fridge on the other).
    >
    > "Nicely firm", though. *That's relative :-) *Mine is pretty darn
    > hard even at +8. *But that's ice cream with a lower underrun than
    > what you're probably buying (Drug store brand ice cream?)
    >
    > -sw


    Just take the damn ice cream out of the fridge and let it sit on the
    counter for about 5 minutes.

  11. #11
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:45:41 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:


    >> The ice cream in every freezer I have ever had is rock hard. My
    >> microwave oven has a button that says "soften" and a menu selection for
    >> ice cream by the pint and the quart. Works a treat.


    >I wondered about microwaving it. Say... 30 seconds on 20% (800W).
    >I'll try that.


    Even that might be too long.

    Steve

  12. #12
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    Steve wrote on Sat, 22 May 2010 21:22:39 +0000 (UTC):

    >> On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:45:41 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:


    >>> The ice cream in every freezer I have ever had is rock hard.
    >>> My microwave oven has a button that says "soften" and a menu
    >>> selection for ice cream by the pint and the quart. Works a
    >>> treat.


    >> I wondered about microwaving it. Say... 30 seconds on 20%
    >> (800W). I'll try that.


    > Even that might be too long.


    10 to 15 seconds on full power is OK if the container is about half
    full. I do it all the time.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:16:26 -0500, Sqwelz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Why am I even responding to you? Pbbbt.


    and you had to change your name to do it. LOL

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  14. #14
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:22:39 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:45:41 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

    >
    >>> The ice cream in every freezer I have ever had is rock hard. My
    >>> microwave oven has a button that says "soften" and a menu selection for
    >>> ice cream by the pint and the quart. Works a treat.

    >
    >>I wondered about microwaving it. Say... 30 seconds on 20% (800W).
    >>I'll try that.

    >
    > Even that might be too long.


    It would only cycle on for 6 seconds (at 100%). And it's only a 800
    or 900W microwave. Not the kind you find in 7-11 or Burger King
    that could cook a whole cow in 4:20.

    -sw

  15. #15
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 14:52:36 -0700, sf wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:16:26 -0500, Sqwelz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Why am I even responding to you? Pbbbt.

    >
    > and you had to change your name to do it. LOL


    And you had to piggyback off of somebody else's post to make that
    ridiculously false comment to me.

    LOL, indeed. LOL!

    -sw

  16. #16
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On 5/21/2010 4:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    >> soft and limp?

    >
    > Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    > or my money back!
    >
    > Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    > *and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    >
    > Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?


    The first thing you should do is throw that thermometer away. Set the
    temperature according to the firmness of the ice cream - firm but not
    too firm. As a practical matter, it's the only gauge of temperature that
    really counts. My thermometer reads -6 but that probably not real accurate.

    >
    > -sw



  17. #17
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > "Nicely firm", though. That's relative :-) Mine is pretty darn
    > hard even at +8. But that's ice cream with a lower underrun than
    > what you're probably buying (Drug store brand ice cream?)
    >
    > -sw


    In the interior of the freezer, ice cream is too hard. If I keep it on the
    door, it is just nice and scoopable. Every freezer has some variation of
    temperature and this is just enough for ice cream.




  18. #18
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:50:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> "Nicely firm", though. That's relative :-) Mine is pretty darn
    >> hard even at +8. But that's ice cream with a lower underrun than
    >> what you're probably buying (Drug store brand ice cream?)

    >
    > In the interior of the freezer, ice cream is too hard. If I keep it on the
    > door, it is just nice and scoopable. Every freezer has some variation of
    > temperature and this is just enough for ice cream.


    My freezer doesn't really have a door. It has drawers. And the
    only shelf inside attached to the oputer drawre is not really wide
    enough to hold any ice cream.

    The ice cream stay in the upper drawer closest to the front of the
    unit, so if any place is "warmer", taht would probably be it (warm
    air rises).

    -sw

    -sw

  19. #19
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:35:11 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

    > On 5/21/2010 4:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:00:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> So what temperature is your freezer and is the ice cream hard, or
    >>> soft and limp?

    >>
    >> Dammit, I pay $.005/day for this usenet thingy and I demand answers
    >> or my money back!
    >>
    >> Really, it was a simple question. Does nobody eat ice cream anymore
    >> *and* know the temperature of the freezer?
    >>
    >> Is a digital readout on the freezer that uncommon still?

    >
    > The first thing you should do is throw that thermometer away.


    Thanks anyway, but it's kinda attached to the unit and controls the
    temperature of the unit. So I'd rather not throw that $1,200
    thermometer away.

    And as I said, the freezer is set at it's maximum temperature.

    -sw

  20. #20
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: Ice and Ice Cream, Too Hard

    On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:57:38 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:41:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    ><[email protected]> wrote:


    >> We have a new Samsung French door refrigerator. It's set at +4F and
    >> the ice cream is nicely firm. Soon after we got the thing, I checked
    >> the temp and it was spot on.

    >
    >Checked it how? With your built in door thermometer?


    Uh, no - I have a Cold Zone Thermoworks thermometer that's pretty good
    at telling temperatures below freezing. I wouldn't rely on the built
    in temperature reading, but in this case, it was actually correct.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32