Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88

Thread: How do you like your pork done?

  1. #1
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default How do you like your pork done?

    Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    widespread as believed.
    Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    Do you eat medium rare pork?

  2. #2
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Apr 7, 9:19*am, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. *This was about 1976. *He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was. *The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > is the tenderloin. *Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > was spiced properly. *There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > widespread as believed.
    > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > Do you eat medium rare pork?


    I have a recipe for a pan seared tenderloin finished in the oven that
    I will make to 'medium'. Pork chops I prefer done. Of course pulled
    pork is cooked to fall apart so it's done-done.

    http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/2...armalade-sauce

  3. #3
    Pico Rico Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?


    "A Moose in Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > widespread as believed.
    > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > Do you eat medium rare pork?


    yes, and I also taste raw sausage.

    I also taste raw chicken mousse for proper seasoning.



  4. #4
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:37:14 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
    > "A Moose in Love"
    > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    > > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > > problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > > was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > > widespread as believed.
    > > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > > Do you eat medium rare pork?

    >
    > yes, and I also taste raw sausage.
    >
    > I also taste raw chicken mousse for proper seasoning.


    Continue with these practices if you would like to chance getting food borne disease or parasites. Education would be of benefit to you.


  5. #5
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Apr 7, 12:19*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. *This was about 1976. *He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was. *The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > is the tenderloin. *Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > was spiced properly. *There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > widespread as believed.
    > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > Do you eat medium rare pork?


    I like all meat cooked well done, but not dried out or charred.

  6. #6
    Pico Rico Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?


    "Roy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:37:14 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
    >> "A Moose in Love"
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    >> > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    >> > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    >> > problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    >> > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    >> > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    >> > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    >> > was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    >> > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    >> > widespread as believed.
    >> > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    >> > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    >> > Do you eat medium rare pork?

    >>
    >> yes, and I also taste raw sausage.
    >>
    >> I also taste raw chicken mousse for proper seasoning.

    >
    > Continue with these practices if you would like to chance getting food
    > borne disease or parasites. Education would be of benefit to you.


    I am quite educated on this topic, and I don't mind the trivial chance I am
    taking (I have a healthy immune system). I eat sushi, too. YMMV.



  7. #7
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I like all meat cooked well done, but not dried out or charred.



    My liking. Medium.

    http://oi44.tinypic.com/10qg9zr.jpg

    Includes spaetzle and broccoli.

    Andy

  8. #8
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Apr 7, 11:19*am, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. *This was about 1976. *He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was.


    [snip]

    > Do you eat medium rare pork?


    No, but it's an aesthetic thing. The only meats I like rare or MR are
    beef (including bison) and lamb. Pork, medium well-well. Poultry,
    well done.
    Beef, I often eat raw or at least blue rare.

    --Bryan

  9. #9
    Wo Fat Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    A Moose in Love <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I must wonder whether trich was as
    > widespread as believed.


    sounds like a wonderful opportunity to test your hypothesis. let us know the
    results

  10. #10
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    Andy wrote:
    > djs0302 wrote:
    >
    >> I like all meat cooked well done, but not dried out or charred.

    >
    >My liking. Medium.
    >
    >http://oi44.tinypic.com/10qg9zr.jpg
    >
    >Includes spaetzle and broccoli.


    Andy, those sure are odd looking broccoli spears.

  11. #11
    Kent Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?


    "A Moose in Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > widespread as believed.
    > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > Do you eat medium rare pork?
    >
    >

    For pork loin roasts, and tenderloin we cook medium rare. There hasn't been
    a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years. That's
    where all he well done standards for pork originated.

    Kent




  12. #12
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    >> djs0302 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I like all meat cooked well done, but not dried out or charred.

    >>
    >>My liking. Medium.
    >>
    >>http://oi44.tinypic.com/10qg9zr.jpg
    >>
    >>Includes spaetzle and broccoli.

    >
    > Andy, those sure are odd looking broccoli spears.



    Sheldon,

    Yep!

    I'd have to agree!

    LOL!

    Andy

  13. #13
    isw Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    In article <jlqhpk$g3p$[email protected]>, "Kent" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "A Moose in Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    > > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > > problem that it once was. The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.
    > > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > > was spiced properly. There was never a problem that I knew of, and
    > > they did this for generations, I must wonder whether trich was as
    > > widespread as believed.
    > > Some relatives made a sausage pattie, and fried it, tasted it, then
    > > decided what should be put into it in case it wasn't spiced enough.
    > > Do you eat medium rare pork?
    > >
    > >

    > For pork loin roasts, and tenderloin we cook medium rare. There hasn't been
    > a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years.


    Well, not from commercial pork, anyhow ...

    Isaac

  14. #14
    Leonard Blaisdell Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    In article <isw-82233A.21173707042012@[216.168.3.50]>,
    isw <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <jlqhpk$g3p$[email protected]>, "Kent" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:


    > > For pork loin roasts, and tenderloin we cook medium rare. There hasn't been
    > > a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years.

    >
    > Well, not from commercial pork, anyhow ...


    I agree. Wild hogs are a notable exception, and there are plenty eaten.

    leo

  15. #15
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?


    > In article <jlqhpk$g3p$[email protected]>, "Kent" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:

    .. There hasn't been
    > > a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years.


    Nope
    >


    Trichinellosis Surveillance --- United States, 1997--2001

    National Center for Infectious Diseases records show 12 % of cases
    between 1997 and 2001 came from commercial pork

    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5206a1.htm

    2001 to 2007 report

    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5809a1.htm


    During 2002--2007, a total of 66 cases of trichinellosis were reported to
    CDC. ...Pork was associated with 10 (19%) cases: seven with commercial
    pork, two with noncommercial pork, and one with an unspecified type of
    pork. Of the seven cases associated with consumption of commercial pork,
    five were linked to U.S. commercial pork"

    Janet

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?


    > "A Moose in Love" wrote:
    >
    > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > trained cook. This was about 1976. He stated that pork did not have
    > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > problem that it once was.


    He was an idiot, there may have been less risk, not no risk.

    > The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > is the tenderloin. Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.


    Ground pork should always be cooked well done even if you grind it
    yourself. And even with modern agri conditions pork should not be
    eaten rare... undercooked pork doesn't even taste good. if one knows
    how to cook there is no reason that pork shouldn't be cooked through
    and still be juicy. People like to blame the leaner pork (for their
    inability to cook) but fat content has not a whit to do with moistness
    from water content... it's exactly as easy to cook fatty pork to
    death, actually easier because rendering marbling requires hotter
    internal temps, by the time the fat melts the flesh is over cooked.

    > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > was spiced properly.


    That's low IQ. Even today's foodtv tells folks to cook a small bit in
    a pan and then taste it... even the dumbest dago knows to fry up a bit
    of meat-a-ball mixture to adjust seasoning... tasting raw sausage for
    seasoning tells nothing, raw sausage tastes nothing like cooked.

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 09:45:05 +0100, Janet wrote:

    > During 2002--2007, a total of 66 cases of trichinellosis were reported to
    > CDC. ...Pork was associated with 10 (19%) cases: seven with commercial
    > pork, two with noncommercial pork, and one with an unspecified type of
    > pork. Of the seven cases associated with consumption of commercial pork,
    > five were linked to U.S. commercial pork"


    That's really not too bad. That basically comes down to 1 case a
    year. And when you figure that almost 95% of the population has eaten
    pork, and an average of 65 pounds of it during the year, that's
    practically zero. Compare that to 30,000 CONFIRMED cases of
    salmonella and 70,000 cases of e-Coli a year... Pork would seem to be
    the least deadly raw food out there these days _including vegetables_.

    -sw



  18. #18
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On Apr 8, 10:53*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > > "A Moose in Love" wrote:

    >
    > > Decades ago, I attended a cooking class which was headed by a German
    > > trained cook. *This was about 1976. *He stated that pork did not have
    > > to be cooked beyond medium rare, as trichinosis was no longer the
    > > problem that it once was.

    >
    > He was an idiot, there may have been less risk, not no risk.
    >
    > > The only pork cut that I like medium rare
    > > is the tenderloin. *Roasts, and loin chops I like well done.

    >
    > Ground pork should always be cooked well done even if you grind it
    > yourself. *And even with modern agri conditions pork should not be
    > eaten rare... undercooked pork doesn't even taste good. *if one knows
    > how to cook there is no reason that pork shouldn't be cooked through
    > and still be juicy. *People like to blame the leaner pork (for their
    > inability to cook) but fat content has not a whit to do with moistness
    > from water content... it's exactly as easy to cook fatty pork to
    > death, actually easier because rendering marbling requires hotter
    > internal temps, by the time the fat melts the flesh is over cooked.
    >
    > > Now, having said that, whenever my folks and relatives made sausage,
    > > they tasted the sausage meat raw before they decided whether or not it
    > > was spiced properly.

    >
    > That's low IQ. *Even today's foodtv tells folks to cook a small bit in
    > a pan and then taste it... even the dumbest dago knows to fry up a bit
    > of meat-a-ball mixture to adjust seasoning... tasting raw sausage for
    > seasoning tells nothing, raw sausage tastes nothing like cooked.


    your post is low iq stop tasting raw sausage worked well for them
    stop the sausage was always very nicely seasoned stop we all know
    that raw doesn't taste like cooked stop

  19. #19
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    Janet wrote:
    >> "Kent" wrote:
    >>
    >>There hasn't been a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years.

    >
    > Nope
    >
    >Trichinellosis Surveillance --- United States, 1997--2001
    >
    > National Center for Infectious Diseases records show 12 % of cases
    >between 1997 and 2001 came from commercial pork
    >
    > http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5206a1.htm
    >
    > 2001 to 2007 report
    >
    >http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5809a1.htm
    >
    >
    >During 2002--2007, a total of 66 cases of trichinellosis were reported to
    >CDC. ...Pork was associated with 10 (19%) cases: seven with commercial
    >pork, two with noncommercial pork, and one with an unspecified type of
    >pork. Of the seven cases associated with consumption of commercial pork,
    >five were linked to U.S. commercial pork"
    >
    > Janet


    And I'd say those figures greatly understate the problem because the
    vast majority of food borne illness goes unreported due to not being
    severe enough to get medical attention... sales of OTC drugs proves
    this. There are thousands of small pork farmers in he US who sell
    meat but don't raise the required number for USDA inspection, there
    ere many small farmers where I live who butcher a few hogs every year
    for sale but their premises are never inspected, same with all
    livestock... in this County as long as one raises less than 500
    chickens no health inspection is required, that's why I won't buy eggs
    from my neighbors.
    And those who choose undercooked pork are definitely afflicted with
    TIAD... rare pork tastes disgusting, smells awful, and has terrible
    texture. I tried medium rare bone-in loin roast once because a guest
    said he prefered it, had to finish cooking or toss it in the trash,
    finished cooking in a pan. I made it for company, no one would eat it
    until I cooked it till cooked through... I posted a picture here a
    while ago, don't feel like hunting for it right now.

    Okay found it...
    Oven ready:
    http://tinypic.com/r/f53iph/5
    Would you eat this:
    http://tinypic.com/r/110eul3/5
    http://i40.tinypic.com/110eul3.jpg
    Needless to say my dinner was a failure, I'll never do undercooked
    pork again.
    This is how pork should be cooked:
    http://tinypic.com/r/263y3hf/5
    Plenty moist:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2l9k51y.jpg
    Ths time a total success:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/k1v0x5.jpg




  20. #20
    Whirled Peas Guest

    Default Re: How do you like your pork done?

    On 04/07/2012 04:15 PM, Kent wrote:

    > For pork loin roasts, and tenderloin we cook medium rare. There hasn't been
    > a reported case of trichinosis in the US in something like 50 years. That's
    > where all he well done standards for pork originated.
    >
    > Kent


    Here's the actual numbers direct from the Center for Disease Control:

    Although trichinellosis was associated historically with eating
    Trichinella-infected pork from domesticated sources, wild game meat was
    the most common source of infection during 1997--2001. During this
    5-year period, 72 cases were reported to CDC. Of these, 31 (43%) cases
    were associated with eating wild game: 29 with bear meat, one with
    cougar meat, and one with wild boar meat. In comparison, only 12 (17%)
    cases were associated with eating commercial pork products, including
    four cases traced to a foreign source. Nine (13%) cases were associated
    with eating noncommercial pork from home-raised or direct-from-farm
    swine where U.S. commercial pork production industry standards and
    regulations do not apply.


    Looks to me like about 4 cases per year from eating pork.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32