Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How do you dry your homemade noodles

  1. #1
    pamjd Guest

    Default How do you dry your homemade noodles

    I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

  2. #2
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles


    "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?


    Have you considered freezing them between sheets of parchment/wax
    paper/plastic wrap?

    I tried drying homemade pasta once and it got moldy very quickly.



  3. #3
    Evette Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles


    "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4a964166-1838-4fb6-8229-29c0ff89e875@[email protected]..
    >I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?


    Dust them with flour and freeze them. I do this with fresh pasta all the
    time.

    Eve




  4. #4
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    On Thu 23 Oct 2008 05:13:09p, pamjd told us...

    > I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?


    Actually, freezing them on cookie sheets after a good dusting of flour works
    well, then sealing them in plastic wrap or baggies.

    If you really want to dry them, my grandmother used to hang them over the
    rods of a folding wooden clothes drying rack.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

    *******************************************
    Date: Thursday, 10(X)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
    *******************************************
    Countdown till Veteran's Day
    2wks 4dys 5hrs 35mins
    *******************************************
    And now for something ruder...
    *******************************************

  5. #5
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles



    pamjd wrote:
    >
    > I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?



    On a tea towel on the dining room table, excess on a towel-covered
    broomstick.

  6. #6
    Joseph Littleshoes Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Thu 23 Oct 2008 05:13:09p, pamjd told us...
    >
    >
    >>I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    >>usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    >>make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    >>do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    >
    >
    > Actually, freezing them on cookie sheets after a good dusting of flour works
    > well, then sealing them in plastic wrap or baggies.
    >
    > If you really want to dry them, my grandmother used to hang them over the
    > rods of a folding wooden clothes drying rack.
    >

    A broom stick laid atop two chair backs works also..
    --
    JL

  7. #7
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    Arri London wrote:
    >
    > pamjd wrote:
    >> I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    >
    >
    > On a tea towel on the dining room table, excess on a towel-covered
    > broomstick.


    Yes, this is how my grandmother did hers. In the kitchen though, lol.

  8. #8
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    "pamjd" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?


    I hang them n my bottle drying rack. Before I had that I used to hang them
    over a clean dowel/broomstick between two chairs.



  9. #9
    TammyM Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles


    "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > "pamjd" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    >
    > I hang them n my bottle drying rack. Before I had that I used to hang
    > them over a clean dowel/broomstick between two chairs.


    I have pets (cats and dogs) so I hang them on towel-covered wire hangers in
    the laundry room - window open to facilitate drying. Works fine.

    TammyM



  10. #10
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    pamjd wrote:
    > I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?



    Hey Pam! I've never made noodles but I toured a vermacelli factory in
    Thailand, once. Stinky smelly stuff! They hung the noodles on
    clotheslines. I'm not kidding.

    Jill


  11. #11
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    pamjd <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?


    Pam, I make nearly a year's worth of noodles for our consumption every
    December-January. January weather here sucks rope.

    I use a pasta machine for rolling and cutting. I mix the dough in a
    food processor: Flour, egg, salt, water; adding the water after
    processing the other three together until of a rather sandy consistency.
    One egg to one cup flour, I think. Only enough water so that the
    mixture will hold together when pressed. Letting it rest for a couple
    hours is a must.

    The dough is *very* stiff.

    I cut small pieces, roll them and cut them. Because the dough is so
    stiff the noodles don't stick together when cut. I dry them (I'm
    writing about narrow [maybe 1/16" wide] noodles) on wire cooling racks
    or an oven rack on which I've placed either paper toweling or a cotton
    dishtowel. Then I set them in front of and on my heat registers. They
    dry overnight very nicely. I store them in a glass jar in the cupboard.

    On the rare occasion when I make wide (1/4") noodles, I spread them on
    the toweling in the same fashion and maybe toss them a bit with my
    fingers to discourage any sticking.

    HTH.

    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise
    On the Road Again - It is Finished

  12. #12
    DK Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    jmcquown wrote:
    > pamjd wrote:
    >> I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    >
    >
    > Hey Pam! I've never made noodles but I toured a vermacelli factory in
    > Thailand, once. Stinky smelly stuff! They hung the noodles on
    > clotheslines. I'm not kidding.
    >
    > Jill


    Sure.

  13. #13
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles



    Goomba wrote:
    >
    > Arri London wrote:
    > >
    > > pamjd wrote:
    > >> I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    > >
    > >
    > > On a tea towel on the dining room table, excess on a towel-covered
    > > broomstick.

    >
    > Yes, this is how my grandmother did hers. In the kitchen though, lol.


    It's one room in this house; open plan.

  14. #14
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles

    On Oct 24, 7:36 pm, DK <intrcep...@111gmail.com> wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    > > pamjd wrote:
    > >> I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    >
    > > Hey Pam! I've never made noodles but I toured a vermacelli factory in
    > > Thailand, once. Stinky smelly stuff! They hung the noodles on
    > > clotheslines. I'm not kidding.

    >
    > > Jill

    >
    > Sure.


    I'm a big fan of DIY, and I remember my grandmother making noodles,
    and I like the homey touch of noodles over broomsticks over chairs (a
    girlfriend's Armenian g'ma used to do basterma this way), but this
    seems like way too much trouble. Even the expensive store-bought
    pasta is cheap. Why do I want to do this?

    bulka

  15. #15
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: How do you dry your homemade noodles



    bulka wrote:
    >
    > On Oct 24, 7:36 pm, DK <intrcep...@111gmail.com> wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > > > pamjd wrote:
    > > >> I make a kettle of soup a couple times a week in fall and winter. I
    > > >> usually make enough noodles for two batches of soup. I would like to
    > > >> make enough noodles for a few weeks worth of soup at one time. How
    > > >> do you all dry big batches of homemade noodles?

    > >
    > > > Hey Pam! I've never made noodles but I toured a vermacelli factory in
    > > > Thailand, once. Stinky smelly stuff! They hung the noodles on
    > > > clotheslines. I'm not kidding.

    > >
    > > > Jill

    > >
    > > Sure.

    >
    > I'm a big fan of DIY, and I remember my grandmother making noodles,
    > and I like the homey touch of noodles over broomsticks over chairs (a
    > girlfriend's Armenian g'ma used to do basterma this way), but this
    > seems like way too much trouble. Even the expensive store-bought
    > pasta is cheap. Why do I want to do this?
    >
    > bulka



    Because homemade pasta tastes much better than store-bought and is
    cheaper over all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32