Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: hollandaise; clarified butter?

  1. #1
    Michael Horowitz Guest

    Default hollandaise; clarified butter?

    Gonna try a hollandaise.
    recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    pros/cons? - Mike


  2. #2
    koko Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gonna try a hollandaise.
    >recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    >pros/cons? - Mike


    I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
    Palate Cookbook.
    I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
    the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
    but leave the milky residue behind"
    Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
    when whisking it into the eggs.

    koko
    --

    There is no love more sincere than the love of food
    George Bernard Shaw

    www.kokoscornerblog.com
    updated 04/30/10

  3. #3
    Michael Horowitz Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On Sun, 02 May 2010 06:44:42 -0700, koko <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Gonna try a hollandaise.
    >>recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    >>pros/cons? - Mike

    >
    >I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
    >Palate Cookbook.
    >I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
    >the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
    >but leave the milky residue behind"
    >Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
    >when whisking it into the eggs.
    >
    >koko



    koko - I was being just a bit disengeneous. I'm making hamburgers
    tonite just so I have an excuse to make my first bearnaise, which as
    you know is simply a reduction added to the hollandaise. Sides =
    roasted potatoes, using Montreal Steak seasoning in the place of
    S&P&Rosemary - Mike
    PS - it was so easy to clarify (3 mins in microwave + a few seconds
    removing foam) that it really didn't matter; beside I can use the
    clarified butter for anything - Mike


  4. #4
    koko Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On Sun, 02 May 2010 12:24:16 -0400, Michael Horowitz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 May 2010 06:44:42 -0700, koko <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gonna try a hollandaise.
    >>>recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    >>>pros/cons? - Mike

    >>
    >>I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
    >>Palate Cookbook.
    >>I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
    >>the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
    >>but leave the milky residue behind"
    >>Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
    >>when whisking it into the eggs.
    >>
    >>koko

    >
    >
    >koko - I was being just a bit disengeneous. I'm making hamburgers
    >tonite just so I have an excuse to make my first bearnaise, which as
    >you know is simply a reduction added to the hollandaise. Sides =
    >roasted potatoes, using Montreal Steak seasoning in the place of
    >S&P&Rosemary - Mike
    >PS - it was so easy to clarify (3 mins in microwave + a few seconds
    >removing foam) that it really didn't matter; beside I can use the
    >clarified butter for anything - Mike



    Sounds like a great meal. Bearnaise is yet another sauce I'd like to
    try.
    We are grilling tonight, not sure what sides yet.

    koko
    --

    There is no love more sincere than the love of food
    George Bernard Shaw

    www.kokoscornerblog.com
    updated 04/30/10

  5. #5
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:44:15 -0700, koko <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sounds like a great meal. Bearnaise is yet another sauce I'd like to
    >try.


    FWIW, I never bother clarifying the butter for hollandaise. Early on,
    I clarified it, but didn't do it because was in a hurry one time and
    later couldn't tell the difference.

    > We are grilling tonight, not sure what sides yet.


    We're grilling, too! Pork ribs were on sale and white corn made its
    first appearance at Ralph's. The first corn of the season is usually a
    disappointment, but I can never resist the attempt.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  6. #6
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On 2010-05-02, Michael Horowitz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Gonna try a hollandaise.
    > recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    > pros/cons? - Mike


    It makes no differnce.

    The one trick I did learn from perfecting my Hollandaise is to start the
    eggs yolks cooking, and thereby thickening, by themselves before you
    add any melted butter. Trying to thicken the sauce while the yolks
    and butter are already combined is more likely to result in the sauce
    breaking.

    nb

  7. #7
    Michael Horowitz Guest

    Default Re: hollandaise; clarified butter?

    On Mon, 03 May 2010 01:49:25 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2010-05-02, Michael Horowitz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Gonna try a hollandaise.
    >> recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
    >> pros/cons? - Mike

    >
    >It makes no differnce.
    >
    >The one trick I did learn from perfecting my Hollandaise is to start the
    >eggs yolks cooking, and thereby thickening, by themselves before you
    >add any melted butter. Trying to thicken the sauce while the yolks
    >and butter are already combined is more likely to result in the sauce
    >breaking.
    >
    >nb

    thanks for the tip - Mike


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32