Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hey sqwertz...

  1. #1
    Steve Benton Guest

    Default Hey sqwertz...

    Hi Steve,

    I am not a "newbie" to the rfc cooking group, but have always
    appreciated your knowledge, guidance, insight.

    In your most recent response you mentioned in the recipe for "Egg Rolls"
    which include a sauce for these "fried delicaties".

    Can you suggest a "sauce" for the "raw" variety, which are actually my
    favorite, known as "spring" or "winter" or "salad" rolls.

    We used to have a restaurant in the piedmont of North Carolina (where I
    currently live, but am of San Degion Descent) , called the "Open
    Kitchen" a Vietnamese restaurant, with the most authentic food you could
    imagine, in Burlington NC, which has now been closed.

    But, I can't come up with their 'winter roll' sauce... and have tried,
    but can come close.

    You are the 'Asian' food expert master and can and will appreciate any
    assistance you can provide.

    I don't want to poison your recipe with divulging what I may have tried,
    albeit to state that it did have rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, and a
    little red pepper flakes, etc. but have never come up to the level of
    the 'Open Kitchen's" recipe.

    Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. #2
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Hey sqwertz...

    Steve wrote:

    > Can you suggest a "sauce" for the "raw" variety, which are actually my
    > favorite, known as "spring" or "winter" or "salad" rolls.
    >
    > We used to have a restaurant in the piedmont of North Carolina (where I
    > currently live, but am of San Degion Descent) , called the "Open Kitchen"
    > a Vietnamese restaurant, with the most authentic food you could imagine,
    > in Burlington NC, which has now been closed.
    >
    > But, I can't come up with their 'winter roll' sauce... and have tried,
    > but can come close.


    Not the one you asked, but _Into the Vietnamese Kitchen_ contains a recipe
    for something it calls "Spicy Hoisin-Garlic Sauce" which is probably very
    close to what you want. Its secret ingredient is pureed chicken livers. I
    don't have the book here, but maybe somebody who has it handy could post the
    recipe. I know Christine owns it, but she probably didn't bring it with her
    to Bakersfield; she's not much interested in Asian cooking these days.

    Bob




  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Hey sqwertz...

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:00:44 -0400, Steve Benton wrote:

    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > I am not a "newbie" to the rfc cooking group, but have always
    > appreciated your knowledge, guidance, insight.
    >
    > In your most recent response you mentioned in the recipe for "Egg Rolls"
    > which include a sauce for these "fried delicaties".
    >
    > Can you suggest a "sauce" for the "raw" variety, which are actually my
    > favorite, known as "spring" or "winter" or "salad" rolls.


    The only other recipe I would use for fresh or fried rolls is for a
    peanut sauce. This would be pretty common served with summer/salad
    rolls. AKA "fresh spring rolls".

    Hoisin sauce in here would be pretty common, but I don't use hoisin
    for much of anything.

    All ingredients are approximate since
    I've never written it down until now. This is a noodle sauce
    which I keep in the fridge and use a few times a week for a quick
    snack.

    1.5 cups creamy peanut butter
    2 Tb tamarind puree
    1 Tb lime juice
    2 Tb Chili sauce w/garlic (Huy Fong)
    3 cloves garlic, crushed fine
    2 Tb sugar
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 Tb Sesame oil
    1/4 cup water

    Sometimes I'll add a touch of shrimp paste or fish sauce.

    (An original recipe by sqwertz - not many of them around)

    Mix everything in a small saucepan and heat at a simmer for 10
    minutes, adjusting water or peanut butter until desired
    consistency. Use 2-3TB of sauce on a serving of thin rice
    vermicelli or mung bean threads or as a dip for summer rolls.

    -sw

  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Hey sqwertz...

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:33:18 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > Not the one you asked, but _Into the Vietnamese Kitchen_ contains a recipe
    > for something it calls "Spicy Hoisin-Garlic Sauce" which is probably very
    > close to what you want. Its secret ingredient is pureed chicken livers.


    Interesting. I'd never heard of liver being used instead of peanut
    butter. I should probably get this book. It's a wonder I don't have
    it already.

    -sw

  5. #5
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Hey sqwertz...

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:40:39 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    .. I should probably get this book. It's a wonder I don't have
    >it already.
    >
    >-sw


    She also has a new book out, called Dumplings, I think. I would
    think that one would be right up your alley.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Hey sqwertz...

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:45:33 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:40:39 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > . I should probably get this book. It's a wonder I don't have
    >>it already.

    >
    > She also has a new book out, called Dumplings, I think. I would
    > think that one would be right up your alley.


    I'm not too wild about making dough. Won ton, egg, and spring roll
    wrappers were made with me in mind. And I've made pork buns
    successfully using frozen dough balls. But that's it. I even make my
    ravioli with won ton wrappers.

    -sw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32