Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 161

Thread: this group needs someone like me!

  1. #41
    cybercat Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!


    "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The women will be sitting
    >>> in wheelchairs with their breast implants sagging down to their
    >>> knees, looking at their ankle tattoos of lightning bolts.

    >>
    >> Hey - where can I meet these chicks?

    >
    > lol


    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! I've missed you.



  2. #42
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    > Mark Thorson <[email protected]> news:[email protected]: in
    > rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> Sqwertz wrote:
    >>> Those pics and videos will go down as scrapbooks for generations to
    >>> see. But their kids won't care less as they head down their own
    >>> path of Idiocracy.

    >> Good point. Not only that, but the RFC archives are
    >> entirely in text, which will be as obsolete as Morse Code
    >> in their time. Not like youtube or Facebook which are
    >> graphic and therefore do not require cogitating, and
    >> therefore are much more dangerous with regard to your
    >> legacy.

    >
    > I'm guessing 20 years or so down the road there will be no official Usenet
    > archives and probably few, if any, NNTP servers around. Perhaps someone
    > will try to keep it alive but I'm guessing in the future Usenet will just
    > be something found in a reference textbook.
    >
    > Michael


    Well, I hope that doesn't happen in MY lifetime.

    --
    Jean B.

  3. #43
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    cybercat wrote:
    > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> Sqwertz wrote:
    >>> Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The women will be sitting
    >>>> in wheelchairs with their breast implants sagging down to their
    >>>> knees, looking at their ankle tattoos of lightning bolts.
    >>>
    >>> Hey - where can I meet these chicks?

    >>
    >> lol

    >
    > WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! I've missed you.


    Hi Sweetie) From time to time I get fed up with the nastiness, so I
    unsubscribe for a bit. Heck, you know how to get hold of me when you want
    to)

    Anyway, I am back for a wee while so watch it, I have my eye on you



  4. #44
    mom peagram Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!


    "Mike" <mikexclothing@fellwalking> wrote in message
    news:l0hev4dcrh88gta35[email protected]..
    > this group is a mess and needs someone like me to control it. ive
    > controlled
    > uk.food+drink.misc with a little help from giusi, june hughes, ophelia and
    > tim c
    > for years now and i say whats posted there and who by. thats what this
    > group
    > needs and it needs it now. im in my sixties a fellwalker and have more
    > knowledge
    > than most of the people here combined. i also worked for the council so im
    > ideal
    > to organise and control this group.
    >
    > --
    > Spanish food "http://www.fellwalker.co.uk/espania.htm"
    > (remove clothing to email)

    I think I'll just block you right off the bat!


    --
    mompeagram
    FERGUS/HARLINGEN
    Owner
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rec-Food-Baking-cooking/
    http://mompeagram.homestead.com


  5. #45
    Tim C. Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:08:36 -0400, Mr. Bill wrote in post :
    <news:[email protected] > :

    > On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:44:57 +0100, Mike <mikexclothing@fellwalking>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>or i will have everyone here ignore you.

    >
    > And you are going to make that happen......how? I am learning quickly
    > YOU might be the person to ignore.


    Woooosh!
    --
    Tim C.

  6. #46
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The CABAL (TINC) for this group doesn't run things quite the way your
    >> council that runs the recreation area at the old folks home where you
    >> live does. Thanks for the offer, though.

    >
    > Did you not get recent memo #65536 dated 09/04/2009?
    >
    > Item 71: There Is No More, "TINC". Please reference new
    > rule TINMTINC (p. 64)
    >
    > But that does bring up an interesting subjet: What happens when we
    > - The Diehard Usenet Generation - turn old and maybe sitting at an
    > old folks home ourselves - or someplace slightly nicer? Will we
    > torment Usenet like Sheldon, and bitch about those people that we
    > knew from postings 40 and 50 years ago? I figure by then we'll have
    > dirt on everybody and we'd make for an entertaining group. Err...
    > CABAL.
    >
    > -sw



    You jest? The RFC "old folks home" was actually subject of discussion in
    chat some years ago. I remember Damsel, ChrisD, Nancy (and I'm sure there
    were others) all laughing about how we'd fight over who would use the
    kitchen when. In between we'd have taken up knitting or some such nonsense
    and be sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch.

    Jill


  7. #47
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    dsi1 <[email protected]> news:gt8buk$tp0$[email protected]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    > Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm guessing 20 years or so down the road there will be no official
    >> Usenet archives and probably few, if any, NNTP servers around.
    >> Perhaps someone will try to keep it alive but I'm guessing in the
    >> future Usenet will just be something found in a reference textbook.

    >
    > I thought Google was the official sponsor of the Usenet archives. As
    > far as someone trying to keep Usenet alive, isn't Google Groups doing
    > exactly that?


    Sure it is... for now. Back in my day it was Dejanews. Google bought 'em
    out. Google is a lot more than just the Usenet archives. Google is big
    business and I'm guessing the Usenet archives don't bring in all that
    much revenue. I mean, who, besides us, use them? I don't work for
    Google and don't have much info on it besides stock prices but Usenet
    can't possibly be a big chunk of business for Google.

    Michael

    --
    You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  8. #48
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >> Those pics and videos will go down as scrapbooks for generations to
    >> see. But their kids won't care less as they head down their own
    >> path of Idiocracy.

    >
    > Good point. Not only that, but the RFC archives are
    > entirely in text, which will be as obsolete as Morse Code
    > in their time. Not like youtube or Facebook which are
    > graphic and therefore do not require cogitating, and
    > therefore are much more dangerous with regard to your
    > legacy.



    Nothing wrong with Morse Code Dit dit dit, dash dash dash, dit dit dit.
    (Yes, I know it was replaced by the Maritime Distress Safety System. But
    lots of people still recognize Morse Code, particularly the SOS. Or, OB
    Food: **** on a Shingle

    Jill


  9. #49
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    dsi1 <[email protected]> news:gt8buk$tp0$[email protected]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    > I thought Google was the official sponsor of the Usenet archives. As
    > far as someone trying to keep Usenet alive, isn't Google Groups doing
    > exactly that?


    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "official sponsor" but Google is by
    far the most extensive and complete archival service for Usenet. A lot of
    admins and other commercial sites archive Usenet posts but none compare to
    Google's massive storage capabilities. However, Usenet is a tiny little
    smidgen of the overall Google enterprise. Google's search engine is #1
    last I heard with Yahoo following as #2. Mega revenue is generated by the
    search engine itself. I don't know much about Google but I'm *guessing*
    Usenet is a small and disposable chunk of the business. We have it as long
    as they let us have it. In the old days we had Dejanews which sold out to
    Google.

    Michael


    --
    You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  10. #50
    Michael \Dog3\ Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    Pennyaline <[email protected]>
    news:49f7b5ac$0$1332$[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking

    >
    > It's perfect for the Entitlement Generation, and entire demographic
    > that recruits "followers" as though somebody should give a **** about
    > what they're "doing right now," and who acquire Facebook "friends"
    > only as a means to broadcast their blathering nonsense at little
    > farther. No wonder they have little concept of what real friendships
    > are and how people should treat each other.


    I've often wondered about all this yip yapping electronically. Seriously,
    if you yip yap, email and Twitter with your friends/family all day what do
    you have to discuss over dinner?

    Michael

    --
    You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  11. #51
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!


    "Mike" <mikexclothing@fellwalking> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > this group is a mess and needs someone like me to control it. ive
    > controlled
    > uk.food+drink.misc with a little help from giusi, june hughes, ophelia and
    > tim c
    > for years now and i say whats posted there and who by. thats what this
    > group
    > needs and it needs it now. im in my sixties a fellwalker and have more
    > knowledge
    > than most of the people here combined. i also worked for the council so im
    > ideal
    > to organise and control this group.
    >
    > --
    > Spanish food "http://www.fellwalker.co.uk/espania.htm"
    > (remove clothing to email)


    bugger off mate


  12. #52
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:14:33 +0100, Mike wrote:

    > this group is a mess and needs someone like me to control it. ive controlled
    > uk.food+drink.misc with a little help from giusi, june hughes, ophelia and tim c
    > for years now and i say whats posted there and who by. thats what this group
    > needs and it needs it now. im in my sixties a fellwalker and have more knowledge
    > than most of the people here combined. i also worked for the council so im ideal
    > to organise and control this group.


    cram it, asshole.

    blake

  13. #53
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On 28 Apr 2009 20:32:21 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

    > Mark Thorson <[email protected]> news:[email protected]: in
    > rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> I'd worry more about the generation which followed us,
    >> putting up their pictures and life stories and networks
    >> of friends up on Facebook, etc. All that stuff is going
    >> to live forever, and many will regret what they've made
    >> public. Compared to that, RFC is small potatoes.

    >
    > That's for sure. Some of the youngsters today don't seem to take into
    > consideration some of the crazy people looking at their stuff. And the
    > worst is like 20 years from now and one of your kids stumble across that
    > drunken, nude pic you put up or worse... a YouTube video.
    >
    > I think us Usenetters are a slowly dying breed. Usenet itself is a
    > dinosaur.
    >
    > Michael


    hard to say. dinosaurs seem to fascinate pre-adolescents, of which we seem
    to have an alarming number posting here.

    your pal,
    blake

  14. #54
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:07:08 +0000 (UTC), elaich wrote:

    > Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I'd worry more about the generation which followed us,
    >> putting up their pictures and life stories and networks
    >> of friends up on Facebook, etc. All that stuff is going
    >> to live forever, and many will regret what they've made
    >> public. Compared to that, RFC is small potatoes.

    >
    > Far worse than that is Twitter. You constantly post what you are doing and
    > where you are, and you have 'followers' (stalkers?) who follow your every
    > move. Juvenile, twisted, and sick - and that sadly seems normal to our
    > children.


    frankly, i think twitter will die before usenet. how much useful
    information can you really put in 140 characters? (i say that knowing full
    well that many of my posts are shorter than that.)

    your pal,
    blake

  15. #55
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On 29 Apr 2009 13:25:00 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

    > Pennyaline <[email protected]>
    > news:49f7b5ac$0$1332$[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >>
    >> It's perfect for the Entitlement Generation, and entire demographic
    >> that recruits "followers" as though somebody should give a **** about
    >> what they're "doing right now," and who acquire Facebook "friends"
    >> only as a means to broadcast their blathering nonsense at little
    >> farther. No wonder they have little concept of what real friendships
    >> are and how people should treat each other.

    >
    > I've often wondered about all this yip yapping electronically. Seriously,
    > if you yip yap, email and Twitter with your friends/family all day what do
    > you have to discuss over dinner?
    >
    > Michael


    how cruddy the food is.

    your pal,
    blake

  16. #56
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:45:45 -0400, cybercat wrote:

    > "elaich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gt8cob$bbv$[email protected]..
    >> Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> I'd worry more about the generation which followed us,
    >>> putting up their pictures and life stories and networks
    >>> of friends up on Facebook, etc. All that stuff is going
    >>> to live forever, and many will regret what they've made
    >>> public. Compared to that, RFC is small potatoes.

    >>
    >> Far worse than that is Twitter. You constantly post what you are doing and
    >> where you are, and you have 'followers' (stalkers?) who follow your every
    >> move. Juvenile, twisted, and sick - and that sadly seems normal to our
    >> children.

    >
    > Yes, yes, those young whippersnappers are all going to hell in a handbasket.
    > Same as your mother, grandmother, great-grandmother etc. said.


    things have been deteriorating ever since that gutenberg feller came along.

    your pal,
    blake

  17. #57
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:05:19 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

    > On 28-Apr-2009, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> We will be sitting in nursing homes, the men will be talking about the
    >> war in Vietnam, and ordering viagra online. The women will be sitting
    >> in wheelchairs with their breast implants sagging down to their knees,
    >> looking at their ankle tattoos of lightning bolts. Oh yeah, it should
    >> be fun.
    >>
    >>
    >> Becca

    >
    > Ankle tatoo is the least of those problems; imagine what a sagging, wrinkled
    > tramp-stamp will look like.


    dig this in forty years or so:

    <http://www.buzzfeed.com/edithzimmerman/saddest-tramp-stamp-y7>

    your pal,
    blake

  18. #58
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    blake wrote on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:14:13 GMT:

    >> On 28-Apr-2009, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We will be sitting in nursing homes, the men will be talking
    >>> about the war in Vietnam, and ordering viagra online. The
    >>> women will be sitting in wheelchairs with their breast
    >>> implants sagging down to their knees, looking at their ankle
    >>> tattoos of lightning bolts. Oh yeah, it should be fun.
    >>>
    >>> Becca

    >>
    >> Ankle tatoo is the least of those problems; imagine what a
    >> sagging, wrinkled tramp-stamp will look like.


    > dig this in forty years or so:


    > <http://www.buzzfeed.com/edithzimmerm...tramp-stamp-y7
    > >


    That must be a record! I am probably a little out of touch (!) since I
    don't particularly like tatoos anyway but have you seen the Ozzy term
    for the more usual type: "arse antler"?

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  19. #59
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    On Apr 28, 10:45*pm, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Yes, yes, those young whippersnappers are all going to hell in a handbasket.
    > Same as your mother, grandmother, great-grandmother etc. said.

    ================================================== =====

    Yup. My favorite bumper sticker: "Where are we going and why am I in
    this handbasket?"

    Lynn in Fargo
    real bumper sticker available at
    Northern Sun in Minneapolis
    (They've got all their anti-Bush stuff on clearance)

  20. #60
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: this group needs someone like me!

    Sqwertz wrote:

    > Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The CABAL (TINC) for this group doesn't run things quite the way your
    >> council that runs the recreation area at the old folks home where you
    >> live does. Thanks for the offer, though.

    >
    > Did you not get recent memo #65536 dated 09/04/2009?
    >
    > Item 71: There Is No More, "TINC". Please reference new
    > rule TINMTINC (p. 64)


    Oh, *that* memo? I chose to ignore it; thought everybody would - as they
    do all other memos. Guess not.
    >
    > But that does bring up an interesting subjet: What happens when we
    > - The Diehard Usenet Generation - turn old and maybe sitting at an
    > old folks home ourselves - or someplace slightly nicer? Will we
    > torment Usenet like Sheldon, and bitch about those people that we
    > knew from postings 40 and 50 years ago? I figure by then we'll have
    > dirt on everybody and we'd make for an entertaining group. Err...
    > CABAL.


    This has been discussed before. And yes, IMHO, we will still be whining
    and moaning at (and about) each other in our rocking chairs. How we're
    all going to manage eating popcorn with dentures is still up for debate
    though...
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32