Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 163

Thread: Green beans

  1. #1
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Green beans

    I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    - only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here. Sigh.

    Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    or take)....

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  2. #2
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Green beans


    On 20-Mar-2012, ChattyCathy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    > Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    > - only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here.
    > Sigh.
    >
    > Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    > as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    > or take)....


    My favorite is a spicy stir-fry entree; when I make it, I use half the pork
    the recipe calls for and a pound of trimmed green beans. I have no idea how
    much 5 cups of green beans is by weight; but, a pound works just fine for
    me.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Szechuan Green Beans with Ground Pork

    Recipe By :Katie and Leeann Chin
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound ground pork -- lean
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper -- freshly ground
    2 teaspoons peanut oil
    5 cups green beans -- cut in halves
    2 teaspoons fresh garlic -- minced
    4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
    4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
    hot cooked white rice, if desired

    Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large
    nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture, beans, and garlic;
    cook 3 minutes or until pork loses its pink color, stirring to crumble.

    Combine hoisin and next 3 ingredients (through soy sauce) in a small bowl,
    stirring with a whisk. Add hoisin mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until
    thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.

    Description:
    "Szechuan cuisine refers to the hot, spicy dishes characteristic of the
    vast Szechuan province in southwestern China. You can substitute lean
    ground chicken or turkey for pork and asparagus for green beans."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light, APRIL 2006"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=11 73759"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 277 Calories; 18g Fat (58.1% calories
    from fat); 15g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 55mg
    Cholesterol; 443mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2
    Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

    Serving Ideas : Serve over rice or orzo.


    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  3. #3
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    ChattyCathy wrote:
    >
    >I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    >Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    >- only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here. Sigh.


    How about a different nut, pecans would work, so would hazel nuts...
    or do them a la Chinese long bean recipe, lot's of garlic and
    sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, or chopped peanuts, or... I don't
    think you need an exact recipe for green beans.

    >Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    >as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    >or take)....


    Okay, Chinese *short* beans... use what ingredients you have,
    improvise:
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vege.../greenbean.htm




  4. #4
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:21:39 +0000, l, not -l wrote:

    >
    > On 20-Mar-2012, ChattyCathy <[email protected]> wrote:


    >> Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    >> as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    >> or take)....

    >
    > My favorite is a spicy stir-fry entree; when I make it, I use half the pork
    > the recipe calls for and a pound of trimmed green beans. I have no idea how
    > much 5 cups of green beans is by weight; but, a pound works just fine for
    > me.
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Szechuan Green Beans with Ground Pork


    <snipped and saved>

    Sounds really good too. Thanks!


    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  5. #5
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:39:56 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    >
    > Okay, Chinese *short* beans... use what ingredients you have,
    > improvise:
    > http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vege.../greenbean.htm


    Jack has made them using this recipe for us in the past - and yep,
    they're pretty darn good.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  6. #6
    Kate Connally Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On 3/20/2012 11:39 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > ChattyCathy wrote:
    >>
    >> I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    >> Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    >> - only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here. Sigh.

    >
    > How about a different nut, pecans would work, so would hazel nuts...
    > or do them a la Chinese long bean recipe, lot's of garlic and
    > sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, or chopped peanuts, or... I don't
    > think you need an exact recipe for green beans.


    I would use almonds or cashews or pistachios. I think they all would
    work. I would never use walnuts or pecans as I hate them. And it's
    hard to find hazelnuts that are not rancid, at least in my experience.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally
    “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
    Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    Until you bite their heads off.”
    What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    mailto:[email protected]

  7. #7
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:56:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    > as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    > or take)....


    You could try this one
    Lemony Green Beans (Green Beans with Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest)
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/07...ans-green.html
    or this one
    Blistered Green Beans with Ginger & Garlic
    http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/...th-ginger.html

    I don't think it matters that you've cut the beans.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:56:35 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

    > I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    > Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    > - only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here. Sigh.
    >
    > Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    > as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    > or take)....


    I do something like this, minus the basil.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

    I keep my tomatoes wetter. Sometimes I use Rotel tomatoes.

    -sw

  9. #9
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:39:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:


    > I do something like this, minus the basil.
    >
    > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
    >
    > I keep my tomatoes wetter. Sometimes I use Rotel tomatoes.
    >
    > -sw


    This is something I'd really like to try too (including the basil, love
    the stuff). Thanks for the link.

    Is it safe to assume that you are not keen on basil?

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  10. #10
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:30:07 -0700, sf wrote:

    >
    > You could try this one
    > Lemony Green Beans (Green Beans with Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest)
    > http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/07...ans-green.html
    > or this one
    > Blistered Green Beans with Ginger & Garlic
    > http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/...th-ginger.html
    >
    > I don't think it matters that you've cut the beans.


    Thanks,sf - more nice ideas.

    Just an aside - if the prophecy that "Usenet-as-we-know-it-is-doomed"
    comes true, I'll miss it. Big Time.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  11. #11
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Mar 20, 11:26*am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.nospam.edu> wrote:

    >
    > I would use almonds or cashews or pistachios.


    Have you ever had unroasted pistachios? Delicious.
    >
    > Kate


    --Bryan

  12. #12
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:01:29 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:39:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> I do something like this, minus the basil.
    >>
    >> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
    >>
    >> I keep my tomatoes wetter. Sometimes I use Rotel tomatoes.

    >
    > This is something I'd really like to try too (including the basil, love
    > the stuff). Thanks for the link.
    >
    > Is it safe to assume that you are not keen on basil?


    Nope. I just don't use it in this dish. I don't usually have fresh
    basil handy. I buy a bunch at a time every 3-4 months and use it all
    in 3-5 days - this is just not one of the dishes I cook. Fresh green
    beans an fresh basil just don't often coincide at my house.

    Last time I bought basil I set it in fresh water in a cup on the
    table. I kept glancing it every time I'd go into the kitchen and
    noticed that more and more was missing each time - kept wondering
    where I was using it. Turns out a big green caterpillar was hiding
    under the leaves and eating it all. That Fat Bastard.

    -sw

  13. #13
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:09:03 -0700, Bryan wrote:

    > On Mar 20, 11:26*am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.nospam.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> I would use almonds or cashews or pistachios.

    >
    > Have you ever had unroasted pistachios? Delicious.
    >>
    >> Kate

    >
    > --Bryan


    Agreed - unroasted pistachios are great! Only time I've not liked
    pistachios was when I tried ice cream made with (unroasted) pistachios.
    Admittedly the ice cream was store bought, but still... <blech>

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  14. #14
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:23:08 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:


    > Last time I bought basil I set it in fresh water in a cup on the table.
    > I kept glancing it every time I'd go into the kitchen and noticed that
    > more and more was missing each time - kept wondering where I was using
    > it. Turns out a big green caterpillar was hiding under the leaves and
    > eating it all. That Fat Bastard.


    <snork>

    Fresh basil is one of the few herbs I've managed to grow at home with
    (some) success - and there were no caterpillars to be seen.

    But when I'm not in "green thumb" mode (which is often), we can usually
    get fresh basil at our local produce/veggie markets here (almost year
    round). IMHO, for certain dishes dried works too - and that's always
    available at our local supermarkets here - any time of year.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  15. #15
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On 3/20/2012 1:40 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:23:08 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Last time I bought basil I set it in fresh water in a cup on the table.
    >> I kept glancing it every time I'd go into the kitchen and noticed that
    >> more and more was missing each time - kept wondering where I was using
    >> it. Turns out a big green caterpillar was hiding under the leaves and
    >> eating it all. That Fat Bastard.

    >
    > <snork>
    >
    > Fresh basil is one of the few herbs I've managed to grow at home with
    > (some) success - and there were no caterpillars to be seen.
    >
    > But when I'm not in "green thumb" mode (which is often), we can usually
    > get fresh basil at our local produce/veggie markets here (almost year
    > round). IMHO, for certain dishes dried works too - and that's always
    > available at our local supermarkets here - any time of year.
    >

    You might want to look at recipes for "dry fried" Szechuan Green Beans.
    Even a simple sauce involving sugar, sherry, white pepper, salt and soy
    sauce works well, My family knew this as "Shanghai Beans".

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  16. #16
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On 3/20/2012 1:48 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 3/20/2012 1:40 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:23:08 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Last time I bought basil I set it in fresh water in a cup on the table.
    >>> I kept glancing it every time I'd go into the kitchen and noticed that
    >>> more and more was missing each time - kept wondering where I was using
    >>> it. Turns out a big green caterpillar was hiding under the leaves and
    >>> eating it all. That Fat Bastard.

    >>
    >> <snork>
    >>
    >> Fresh basil is one of the few herbs I've managed to grow at home with
    >> (some) success - and there were no caterpillars to be seen.
    >>
    >> But when I'm not in "green thumb" mode (which is often), we can usually
    >> get fresh basil at our local produce/veggie markets here (almost year
    >> round). IMHO, for certain dishes dried works too - and that's always
    >> available at our local supermarkets here - any time of year.
    >>

    > You might want to look at recipes for "dry fried" Szechuan Green Beans.
    > Even a simple sauce involving sugar, sherry, white pepper, salt and soy
    > sauce works well, My family knew this as "Shanghai Beans".
    >

    I had forgotten that I had the recipe on my computer, so here it is.

    Shanghai string beans.

    For 4, from The People’s Republic of China Cookbook by Noboku Sakamoto
    (a great book but out of print.)

    1 lb string beans
    2 tsp sesame seeds (toasted)

    Sauce

    1 tab sugar
    2 tab dry sherry (original used rice wine and 2 tabs oil)
    ¼ tsp white pepper
    2 tsp soy sauce
    ¼ tsp MSG
    4 drops sesame oil

    ½ tsp salt

    Mix ingredients for sauce, parboil (2 minute) beans cut to 1 inch and
    rinse with cold water.
    Heat wok, spray with oil and add salt and beans. Stir fry for one
    minute, add sauce and stir fry for another minute. Sprinkle with sesame
    seeds.


    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  17. #17
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:54:29 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

    >
    > I had forgotten that I had the recipe on my computer, so here it is.
    >
    > Shanghai string beans.
    >

    <snipped and saved>

    Thanks for this James, simple enough to do - and sounds really good.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy


  18. #18
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Mar 20, 7:56*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > I was leafing through the RFC Cookbook for ideas and came across
    > Sheryl Rosen's "Herbed Walnut Green Beans" recipe which looks really good
    > - only one problem, don't have any walnuts - wrong time of year here. Sigh.
    >
    > Anybody else got another favorite way of preparing them? I've got as far
    > as "topping and tailing" and chopping them up into 1.5 inch pieces (give
    > or take)....
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Chatty Cathy


    Iguess I'm the purist in this group. My favorite way to make green
    beans...the regular bush bean kind, is to tip the ends off
    and blanch them. Then, as I need them for a meal, I put them in a
    frying pan with a nice big pag of butter, sprnkly liberally with
    Nature's Seasons and saute them till they are nice and hot and almost
    starting to color. They stay crisp-tender and juicy
    and the seasoning with the butter is perfect.


  19. #19
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Green beans

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mar 20, 11:26*am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.nospam.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> I would use almonds or cashews or pistachios.

    >
    >Have you ever had unroasted pistachios? Delicious.
    >>
    >> Kate

    >
    >--Bryan


    Roasted pistachios are pretty yummy to, but of course Bryan has to be
    extra special so he can have something all his own to say "But mine's
    better!"

    John Kuthe...

  20. #20
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Green beans


    On 20-Mar-2012, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Iguess I'm the purist in this group. My favorite way to make green
    > beans...the regular bush bean kind, is to tip the ends off
    > and blanch them. Then, as I need them for a meal, I put them in a
    > frying pan with a nice big pag of butter, sprnkly liberally with
    > Nature's Seasons and saute them till they are nice and hot and almost
    > starting to color. They stay crisp-tender and juicy
    > and the seasoning with the butter is perfect.


    Not too far from one of the simpler ways I use green beans. I steam them
    until tender crisp, toss with a pat of butter and sprinkle on a little
    lemon-pepper. I usually make my own lemon-pepper 'cause store-bought has
    too much salt; just lemon zest and ground pepper.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32