Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

  1. #1
    afr Guest

    Default "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    (Speakeasy) - The need to reinforce your kitchen
    bookshelves became more critical this week with the
    publication of Ruth Reichl’s hefty 1,008-page extravaganza
    “Gourmet Today.” (Amazon.com: http://xrl.us/GourmetToday )

    “There is so much to say, and so many new ingredients to
    include,” says Reichl, who has been editor in chief of
    Gourmet magazine since 1999. “We wanted to explain every
    vegetable in the farmers market, how to use it and how to
    store it. It’s stunning what you can find now in ordinary
    supermarkets.” New offerings include panko breadcrumbs;
    Arborio rice; egg-roll wrappers; a wide range of chilies;
    bok choi, and Indian spice mixtures..

    Continued: http://xrl.us/GourmetToday2




  2. #2
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    On Oct 5, 9:55*am, afr <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
    > (Speakeasy) - The need to reinforce your kitchen
    > bookshelves became more critical this week with the
    > publication of Ruth Reichl’s hefty 1,008-page extravaganza
    > “Gourmet Today.” (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday)
    >
    > “There is so much to say, and so many new ingredients to
    > include,” says Reichl, who has been editor in chief of
    > Gourmet magazine since 1999. “We wanted to explain every
    > vegetable in the farmers market, how to use it and how to
    > store it. It’s stunning what you can find now in ordinary
    > supermarkets.” New offerings include *panko breadcrumbs;
    > Arborio rice; egg-roll wrappers; a wide range of chilies;
    > bok choi, and Indian spice mixtures..
    >
    > Continued:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday2


    Sigh, what a swan song . . .
    Lynn in Fargo
    mourning the closing of Gourmet as a mafazine

  3. #3
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Oct 5, 9:55*am, afr <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
    > > (Speakeasy) - The need to reinforce your kitchen
    > > bookshelves became more critical this week with the
    > > publication of Ruth Reichl¹s hefty 1,008-page extravaganza
    > > ³Gourmet Today.² (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday)


    > Sigh, what a swan song . . .
    > Lynn in Fargo
    > mourning the closing of Gourmet as a mafazine


    I wonder if the closing announcement was timed to coincide with
    publication of her book.
    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
    it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
    newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

  4. #4
    afr Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    In article <da84ddae-27ba-4eca-b675-
    [email protected]>
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <lynng...@i29.net> wrote:
    >
    > On Oct 5, 9:55=A0am, afr <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
    > > (Speakeasy) - The need to reinforce your kitchen
    > > bookshelves became more critical this week with the
    > > publication of Ruth Reichl=92s hefty 1,008-page extravaganza
    > > =93Gourmet Today.=94 (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday)
    > >
    > > =93There is so much to say, and so many new ingredients to
    > > include,=94 says Reichl, who has been editor in chief of
    > > Gourmet magazine since 1999. =93We wanted to explain every
    > > vegetable in the farmers market, how to use it and how to
    > > store it. It=92s stunning what you can find now in ordinary
    > > supermarkets.=94 New offerings include =A0panko breadcrumbs;
    > > Arborio rice; egg-roll wrappers; a wide range of chilies;
    > > bok choi, and Indian spice mixtures..
    > >
    > > Continued:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday2

    >
    > Sigh, what a swan song . . .
    > Lynn in Fargo
    > mourning the closing of Gourmet as a magazine


    "Gourmet Magazine's Demise Gives Readers Empty Feeling"

    Wall Street Journal: http://xrl.us/GourmetDemise















  5. #5
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    > I wonder if the closing announcement was timed to coincide with
    > publication of her book.


    Only if they wanted to crater sales of the book.
    More likely their hand was forced by creditors.

    If you were going to pump out one last issue,
    you'd at least try to put out the December issue
    because of the holiday interest and to promote
    the book, but apparently the gas ran out too soon.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    On 6 Oct 2009 15:37:20 -0000, afr <[email protected]> wrote:

    -->In article <da84ddae-27ba-4eca-b675-
    -->[email protected]>
    -->Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <lynng...@i29.net> wrote:
    -->>
    -->> On Oct 5, 9:55=A0am, afr <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
    -->> > (Speakeasy) - The need to reinforce your kitchen
    -->> > bookshelves became more critical this week with the
    -->> > publication of Ruth Reichl=92s hefty 1,008-page extravaganza
    -->> > =93Gourmet Today.=94 (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday)
    -->> >
    -->> > =93There is so much to say, and so many new ingredients to
    -->> > include,=94 says Reichl, who has been editor in chief of
    -->> > Gourmet magazine since 1999. =93We wanted to explain every
    -->> > vegetable in the farmers market, how to use it and how to
    -->> > store it. It=92s stunning what you can find now in ordinary
    -->> > supermarkets.=94 New offerings include =A0panko breadcrumbs;
    -->> > Arborio rice; egg-roll wrappers; a wide range of chilies;
    -->> > bok choi, and Indian spice mixtures..
    -->> >
    -->> > Continued:http://xrl.us/GourmetToday2
    -->>
    -->> Sigh, what a swan song . . .
    -->> Lynn in Fargo


    But it seems that Condé Nast is still selling subscriptions to Gourmet,as well
    it's still prominent on their website with not a mention of it's demise.


  7. #7
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    "< Stu >" wrote:
    >
    > But it seems that Condé Nast is still selling subscriptions to Gourmet,as well
    > it's still prominent on their website with not a mention of it's demise.


    I guess they laid off the people who maintain
    the web site.

  8. #8
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"< Stu >" wrote:


    >> But it seems that Condé Nast is still selling subscriptions to Gourmet,as well
    >> it's still prominent on their website with not a mention of it's demise.


    >I guess they laid off the people who maintain
    >the web site.


    Or, they will fulfill them with a subscription to Bon Appetit,
    also owned by Conde Nast.

    Things are hurting for those in magazine publishing. I have
    a friend who is editor of a magazine (not within the Conde Nast
    family, but with nearly as large a competitor), and recently they
    simply cut everyone's pay by 25%. Tried to call it a "furlough",
    but the bottom line is you still have to do all your work,
    and just get paid 25% less.


    Steve

  9. #9
    Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:40:57 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Steve Pope)
    wrote:

    -->Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    -->
    -->>"< Stu >" wrote:
    -->
    -->>> But it seems that Condé Nast is still selling subscriptions to Gourmet,as
    well
    -->>> it's still prominent on their website with not a mention of it's demise.
    -->
    -->>I guess they laid off the people who maintain
    -->>the web site.
    -->
    -->Or, they will fulfill them with a subscription to Bon Appetit,
    -->also owned by Conde Nast.
    -->
    -->Things are hurting for those in magazine publishing. I have
    -->a friend who is editor of a magazine (not within the Conde Nast
    -->family, but with nearly as large a competitor), and recently they
    -->simply cut everyone's pay by 25%. Tried to call it a "furlough",
    -->but the bottom line is you still have to do all your work,
    -->and just get paid 25% less.
    -->
    -->
    -->Steve

    One company who's a very large bus manufacturer is shutting down both of their
    plants at Christmas for a full two weeks, seems the recession has hit everyone.

  10. #10
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Steve Pope wrote:

    > Things are hurting for those in magazine publishing. I have
    > a friend who is editor of a magazine (not within the Conde Nast
    > family, but with nearly as large a competitor), and recently they
    > simply cut everyone's pay by 25%. Tried to call it a "furlough",
    > but the bottom line is you still have to do all your work,
    > and just get paid 25% less.



    There is a lot more competition in the magazine market these days. Where
    there used to be a half dozen or so magazines for each special
    interest,there are now dozens.

  11. #11
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Dave Smith wrote:
    >
    > Steve Pope wrote:
    >
    > > Things are hurting for those in magazine publishing. I have
    > > a friend who is editor of a magazine (not within the Conde Nast
    > > family, but with nearly as large a competitor), and recently they
    > > simply cut everyone's pay by 25%. Tried to call it a "furlough",
    > > but the bottom line is you still have to do all your work,
    > > and just get paid 25% less.

    >
    > There is a lot more competition in the magazine market these days. Where
    > there used to be a half dozen or so magazines for each special
    > interest,there are now dozens.


    But it's the Internet which is eating their lunch.
    All those magazines are fighting over an ever-shrinking pie.

  12. #12
    Derek Lyons Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Steve Pope wrote:
    >>
    >> > Things are hurting for those in magazine publishing. I have
    >> > a friend who is editor of a magazine (not within the Conde Nast
    >> > family, but with nearly as large a competitor), and recently they
    >> > simply cut everyone's pay by 25%. Tried to call it a "furlough",
    >> > but the bottom line is you still have to do all your work,
    >> > and just get paid 25% less.

    >>
    >> There is a lot more competition in the magazine market these days. Where
    >> there used to be a half dozen or so magazines for each special
    >> interest,there are now dozens.

    >
    >But it's the Internet which is eating their lunch.
    >All those magazines are fighting over an ever-shrinking pie.


    Which is sad, because outside of a very (very) few extraordinarily
    specialized niches... I see little on the 'net to approach the
    quality of content found in a decently edited magazine.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

    -Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

  13. #13
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Derek Lyons wrote:

    > Which is sad, because outside of a very (very) few extraordinarily
    > specialized niches... I see little on the 'net to approach the
    > quality of content found in a decently edited magazine.



    I buy subscribe to a number of different magazines and buys others on
    more or less regular basis. As much as I sometimes grab recipes from
    magazines, I would not say that availability on the internet has
    affected my magazine purchases.

  14. #14
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: "Gourmet Today" by Ruth Reichl

    Derek Lyons wrote:
    >
    > Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >But it's the Internet which is eating their lunch.
    > >All those magazines are fighting over an ever-shrinking pie.

    >
    > Which is sad, because outside of a very (very) few extraordinarily
    > specialized niches... I see little on the 'net to approach the
    > quality of content found in a decently edited magazine.


    And travel by air is real crap these days. It's not free,
    but it's real cheap. And you get what you pay for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32