Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Funny dishwasher story

  1. #1
    Steve B Guest

    Default Funny dishwasher story

    We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our remodel
    instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS cleans very well, and we
    were cutting corners.

    A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven shaped plastic
    baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought they needed washing. She
    put them into the dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that
    were full of drywall dust.

    On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently streaked with
    purple from the baskets. It looked like purple paint was perfectly slung
    all over the inside of the dw.

    It looks soooo cool!


    We both love it.

    It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.

    Steve



  2. #2
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    Steve B wrote:
    > We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our remodel
    > instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS cleans very well, and we
    > were cutting corners.
    >
    > A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven shaped plastic
    > baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought they needed washing. She
    > put them into the dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that
    > were full of drywall dust.
    >
    > On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently streaked with
    > purple from the baskets. It looked like purple paint was perfectly slung
    > all over the inside of the dw.
    >
    > It looks soooo cool!
    >
    >
    > We both love it.
    >
    > It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    >

    Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances are
    rather iffy.

    --
    Jean B.

  3. #3
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve B wrote:
    >> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our remodel
    >> instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS cleans very well, and we
    >> were cutting corners.
    >>
    >> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven shaped plastic
    >> baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought they needed washing. She
    >> put them into the dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that
    >> were full of drywall dust.
    >>
    >> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently streaked with
    >> purple from the baskets. It looked like purple paint was perfectly slung
    >> all over the inside of the dw.
    >>
    >> It looks soooo cool!
    >>
    >>
    >> We both love it.
    >>
    >> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>
    >>

    >Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances are
    >rather iffy.


    You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its water
    pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was looking for one
    like we had, a top line Bosch which I love. Bosch had changed the
    rack arrangement and I did not like any of them. Decided that
    Electrolux was as close as we were going to get. It did not get
    dishes clean unless you had them almost clean to start with. Returned
    it. We ordered the part from Bosch (about $200) and got it in two
    days. DH replaced it with minimum of profanity. It is great to have
    a DH who can fix almost anything.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  4. #4
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    Steve B wrote:
    > We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our
    > remodel instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS cleans very
    > well, and we were cutting corners.


    I don't know why you're calling it a POS then. I love my Whirlpool
    dishwasher. I bought it to replace my old Whirlpool dishwasher
    which didn't break, it was just getting worn out.

    Actually, when I had my kitchen remodelled, I kept the old
    dishwasher as it was working fine. Saved spending a few hundred
    bucks at a time when I was spending so much on everything else.
    It's a standard size, so why not, easy enough to get a new one
    to fit in there.

    nancy


  5. #5
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    The Cook wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Steve B wrote:
    >>> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our remodel
    >>> instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS cleans very well, and we
    >>> were cutting corners.
    >>>
    >>> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven shaped plastic
    >>> baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought they needed washing. She
    >>> put them into the dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that
    >>> were full of drywall dust.
    >>>
    >>> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently streaked with
    >>> purple from the baskets. It looked like purple paint was perfectly slung
    >>> all over the inside of the dw.
    >>>
    >>> It looks soooo cool!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> We both love it.
    >>>
    >>> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances are
    >> rather iffy.

    >
    > You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its water
    > pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was looking for one
    > like we had, a top line Bosch which I love. Bosch had changed the
    > rack arrangement and I did not like any of them. Decided that
    > Electrolux was as close as we were going to get. It did not get
    > dishes clean unless you had them almost clean to start with. Returned
    > it. We ordered the part from Bosch (about $200) and got it in two
    > days. DH replaced it with minimum of profanity. It is great to have
    > a DH who can fix almost anything.


    Hmmmm. I was just telling someone about my new GE, which has the
    tiniest scratch in the door... which has started to rust after
    THREE uses. I look inside my current Bosch (with the
    nonfunctional water pump--did they ever fix this issue?), which I
    used for many years and has an interior that looks brand new.
    Maybe I should put a new DW the current house and store the Bosch.
    I wonder whether the new GE will get totally rusty--like so many
    other things that should be made for their intended uses involving
    water.

    --
    Jean B.

  6. #6
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Mon 20 Dec 2010 05:10:46p, Jean B. told us...

    > The Cook wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Steve B wrote:
    >>>> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on
    >>>> our remodel instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS
    >>>> cleans very well, and we were cutting corners.
    >>>>
    >>>> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven
    >>>> shaped plastic baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought
    >>>> they needed washing. She put them into the dishwasher with
    >>>> (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that were full of drywall
    >>>> dust.
    >>>>
    >>>> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently
    >>>> streaked with purple from the baskets. It looked like purple
    >>>> paint was perfectly slung all over the inside of the dw.
    >>>>
    >>>> It looks soooo cool!
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> We both love it.
    >>>>
    >>>> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >>>>
    >>>> Steve
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances are
    >>> rather iffy.

    >>
    >> You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its
    >> water pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was looking
    >> for one like we had, a top line Bosch which I love. Bosch had
    >> changed the rack arrangement and I did not like any of them.
    >> Decided that Electrolux was as close as we were going to get. It
    >> did not get dishes clean unless you had them almost clean to
    >> start with. Returned it. We ordered the part from Bosch (about
    >> $200) and got it in two days. DH replaced it with minimum of
    >> profanity. It is great to have a DH who can fix almost anything.
    >>

    >
    > Hmmmm. I was just telling someone about my new GE, which has the
    > tiniest scratch in the door... which has started to rust after
    > THREE uses. I look inside my current Bosch (with the
    > nonfunctional water pump--did they ever fix this issue?), which I
    > used for many years and has an interior that looks brand new.
    > Maybe I should put a new DW the current house and store the Bosch.
    > I wonder whether the new GE will get totally rusty--like so many
    > other things that should be made for their intended uses involving
    > water.
    >


    I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  7. #7
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On 21 Dec 2010 00:51:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    >that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.


    Before you buy, I'd recommend that you look really hard at the
    construction of the Maytags' racks, particularly the adjustable tines,
    and how easy it is to get replacement parts.

    And the potential durability of the surface of the control panel.

    Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk that
    I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is surviving,
    despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a cable tie. 8

    -- Larry

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:14:17 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk that
    > I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is surviving,
    > despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a cable tie. 8
    >

    Rollers seem to be a big problem, we haven't had that issue with the
    Bosch but we had it with our previous dishwasher (I forget what brand
    that one was).


    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  9. #9
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Mon 20 Dec 2010 09:14:17p, told us...

    > On 21 Dec 2010 00:51:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    >>that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a
    >>Maytag.

    >
    > Before you buy, I'd recommend that you look really hard at the
    > construction of the Maytags' racks, particularly the adjustable
    > tines, and how easy it is to get replacement parts.
    >
    > And the potential durability of the surface of the control panel.
    >
    > Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk
    > that
    > I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is
    > surviving, despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a
    > cable tie. 8
    >
    > -- Larry
    >


    Thanks for the heads up. They used to make a decent product. I'd
    gladly spring for a European made d/w, but I will only buy a unit
    that has a soft food disposer and self cleaning filter.
    Unfortunately, none of them do.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  10. #10
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the heads up. They used to make a decent product. I'd
    > gladly spring for a European made d/w, but I will only buy a unit
    > that has a soft food disposer and self cleaning filter.
    > Unfortunately, none of them do.
    >


    We've used Kitchen Aid for the past 40 years in two different houses.
    Second choice would be Whirlpool.


  11. #11
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:14:17 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >On 21 Dec 2010 00:51:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    >>that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.

    >
    >Before you buy, I'd recommend that you look really hard at the
    >construction of the Maytags' racks, particularly the adjustable tines,
    >and how easy it is to get replacement parts.
    >
    >And the potential durability of the surface of the control panel.
    >
    > Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk that
    >I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is surviving,
    >despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a cable tie. 8
    >
    >-- Larry



    I also like the Bosch because not only can I get a water pump via the
    Internet I can get parts for the racks or the entire racks.

    It might be worth it to check out what parts you can get for various
    machines without having to call a repair shop.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  12. #12
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Dec 19, 5:52*pm, "Steve B" <pittmanpir...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on our remodel
    > instead of getting a new one. *This plastic POS cleans very well, and we
    > were cutting corners.
    >
    > A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven shaped plastic
    > baskets that we used for popcorn. *Wifey thought they needed washing. *She
    > put them into the dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that
    > were full of drywall dust.
    >
    > On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently streaked with
    > purple from the baskets. *It looked like purple paint was perfectly slung
    > all over the inside of the dw.
    >
    > It looks soooo cool!
    >
    > We both love it.
    >
    > It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >
    > Steve


    I did that once with a big red plastic bowl. My dishwasher was pink
    inside for a few washes. It will eventually wash away. It was a bit
    of a shock to open the dishwasher and have this bright pink shining
    out at me !!



  13. #13
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 20 Dec 2010 05:10:46p, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> The Cook wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Steve B wrote:
    >>>>> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on
    >>>>> our remodel instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS
    >>>>> cleans very well, and we were cutting corners.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven
    >>>>> shaped plastic baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey thought
    >>>>> they needed washing. She put them into the dishwasher with
    >>>>> (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that were full of drywall
    >>>>> dust.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently
    >>>>> streaked with purple from the baskets. It looked like purple
    >>>>> paint was perfectly slung all over the inside of the dw.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It looks soooo cool!
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> We both love it.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a while.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Steve
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances are
    >>>> rather iffy.
    >>> You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its
    >>> water pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was looking
    >>> for one like we had, a top line Bosch which I love. Bosch had
    >>> changed the rack arrangement and I did not like any of them.
    >>> Decided that Electrolux was as close as we were going to get. It
    >>> did not get dishes clean unless you had them almost clean to
    >>> start with. Returned it. We ordered the part from Bosch (about
    >>> $200) and got it in two days. DH replaced it with minimum of
    >>> profanity. It is great to have a DH who can fix almost anything.
    >>>

    >> Hmmmm. I was just telling someone about my new GE, which has the
    >> tiniest scratch in the door... which has started to rust after
    >> THREE uses. I look inside my current Bosch (with the
    >> nonfunctional water pump--did they ever fix this issue?), which I
    >> used for many years and has an interior that looks brand new.
    >> Maybe I should put a new DW the current house and store the Bosch.
    >> I wonder whether the new GE will get totally rusty--like so many
    >> other things that should be made for their intended uses involving
    >> water.
    >>

    >
    > I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    > that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.
    >

    But... Maytag now is most likely NOT like the old Maytags. :-(

    --
    Jean B.

  14. #14
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    Ed Pawlowski wrote:
    >
    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the heads up. They used to make a decent product. I'd
    >> gladly spring for a European made d/w, but I will only buy a unit
    >> that has a soft food disposer and self cleaning filter.
    >> Unfortunately, none of them do.
    >>

    >
    > We've used Kitchen Aid for the past 40 years in two different houses.
    > Second choice would be Whirlpool.


    Again... How old is your latest KA?

    BTW, I was going to say that KA was part of Whirlpool, which is
    true. BUT, look at all of the related brands: Whirlpool, Maytag,
    KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Consul, Bauknecht, and
    Gladiator.

    --
    Jean B.

  15. #15
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    The Cook wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:14:17 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> On 21 Dec 2010 00:51:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    >>> that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.

    >> Before you buy, I'd recommend that you look really hard at the
    >> construction of the Maytags' racks, particularly the adjustable tines,
    >> and how easy it is to get replacement parts.
    >>
    >> And the potential durability of the surface of the control panel.
    >>
    >> Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk that
    >> I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is surviving,
    >> despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a cable tie. 8
    >>
    >> -- Larry

    >
    >
    > I also like the Bosch because not only can I get a water pump via the
    > Internet I can get parts for the racks or the entire racks.
    >
    > It might be worth it to check out what parts you can get for various
    > machines without having to call a repair shop.


    Ah. One can only hope to be able to get the pump installed on the
    Bosch without calling an authorized repair company.

    --
    Jean B.

  16. #16
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Tue 21 Dec 2010 08:42:58a, Jean B. told us...

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Mon 20 Dec 2010 05:10:46p, Jean B. told us...
    >>
    >>> The Cook wrote:
    >>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Steve B wrote:
    >>>>>> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on
    >>>>>> our remodel instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS
    >>>>>> cleans very well, and we were cutting corners.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven
    >>>>>> shaped plastic baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey
    >>>>>> thought they needed washing. She put them into the
    >>>>>> dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that were
    >>>>>> full of drywall dust.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently
    >>>>>> streaked with purple from the baskets. It looked like purple
    >>>>>> paint was perfectly slung all over the inside of the dw.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> It looks soooo cool!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> We both love it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a
    >>>>>> while.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Steve
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances
    >>>>> are rather iffy.
    >>>> You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its
    >>>> water pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was
    >>>> looking for one like we had, a top line Bosch which I love.
    >>>> Bosch had changed the rack arrangement and I did not like any
    >>>> of them. Decided that Electrolux was as close as we were going
    >>>> to get. It did not get dishes clean unless you had them almost
    >>>> clean to start with. Returned it. We ordered the part from
    >>>> Bosch (about $200) and got it in two days. DH replaced it
    >>>> with minimum of profanity. It is great to have a DH who can
    >>>> fix almost anything.
    >>>>
    >>> Hmmmm. I was just telling someone about my new GE, which has
    >>> the tiniest scratch in the door... which has started to rust
    >>> after THREE uses. I look inside my current Bosch (with the
    >>> nonfunctional water pump--did they ever fix this issue?), which
    >>> I used for many years and has an interior that looks brand new.
    >>> Maybe I should put a new DW the current house and store the
    >>> Bosch.
    >>> I wonder whether the new GE will get totally rusty--like so
    >>> many
    >>> other things that should be made for their intended uses
    >>> involving water.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted,
    >> but that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a
    >> Maytag.
    >>

    > But... Maytag now is most likely NOT like the old Maytags. :-(
    >


    I'm in a quandry now. I don't really know what to buy. Seems like
    someone points out a flaw in almost every major brand.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On 21 Dec 2010 18:29:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm in a quandry now. I don't really know what to buy. Seems like
    > someone points out a flaw in almost every major brand.


    Go with your gut. If your gut tells you Kitchen Aid, go with it. I
    don't have a problem with Bosch. I clean the crud off my dishes
    before they go into the dishwasher so I don't need a disposal and the
    filter catches what I don't. In fact, I didn't even know it had a
    filter until I put a jar with a label on it that dissolved in the
    dishwasher and clogged up the filter. After mumble, mumble years the
    filter was still clean (except for the label paper) in spite of me not
    ever touching it.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On 21 Dec 2010 18:29:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright@xgmai[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm in a quandry now. I don't really know what to buy. Seems like
    > someone points out a flaw in almost every major brand.


    I forgot to add in my last reply that when I *really* don't have a
    clue, I call a repair shop to pick their brain about what they'd
    recommend - talk about their experience with service calls for the
    various brands you're interested in and what they are usually for. It
    may seem small/insignificant, but having those darned wheels fall off
    is *really* irritating.

    The process is like buying a new car only it's for a smaller item.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  19. #19
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:14:17 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    >On 21 Dec 2010 00:51:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted, but
    >>that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a Maytag.

    >
    >Before you buy, I'd recommend that you look really hard at the
    >construction of the Maytags' racks, particularly the adjustable tines,
    >and how easy it is to get replacement parts.
    >
    >And the potential durability of the surface of the control panel.
    >
    > Our less than two year old Maytag stainless is a piece of junk that
    >I'll discard at the first opportunity. The upper rack is surviving,
    >despite the fact that it has one roller held on by a cable tie. 8


    My Maytag has been going strong for seven years now, nothing broken or
    worn out, I've no complaints. I think everyone treats appliances and
    everything differently, with some every brand new auto is a lemon, the
    same exact cars for someone else last years needing nary a new battery
    and tires. I know for a fact that some can't operate a brand new
    water faucet but a few times and it begins to drip. Some can't hammer
    a nail lest they miss two strokes out of every three, some can't
    operate a window shade lest it bust. It's as simple as not everyone
    has equal dexterity. If within ten minutes you can't learn to sharpen
    a 1/4" twist drill free hand on a bench grinder to better than factory
    standards odds are everything you touch turns to ****. I just now
    looked, my Maytag's racks are pristine... in fact I don't see how they
    can become damaged unless they are abused... if your Maytag's racks
    are abused it's obvious you are lousy with manipulating certain other
    sensitive parts.

  20. #20
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Funny dishwasher story

    On 21 Dec 2010 18:29:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue 21 Dec 2010 08:42:58a, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>> On Mon 20 Dec 2010 05:10:46p, Jean B. told us...
    >>>
    >>>> The Cook wrote:
    >>>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:07:14 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]>
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Steve B wrote:
    >>>>>>> We opted to keep an old white plastic Whirlpool dishwasher on
    >>>>>>> our remodel instead of getting a new one. This plastic POS
    >>>>>>> cleans very well, and we were cutting corners.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> A few months ago, we bought some purple bushel basket woven
    >>>>>>> shaped plastic baskets that we used for popcorn. Wifey
    >>>>>>> thought they needed washing. She put them into the
    >>>>>>> dishwasher with (lucky for her) clear glass dishes that were
    >>>>>>> full of drywall dust.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> On opening the dishwasher, the inside was totally permanently
    >>>>>>> streaked with purple from the baskets. It looked like purple
    >>>>>>> paint was perfectly slung all over the inside of the dw.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> It looks soooo cool!
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> We both love it.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> It will be a nice story to tell, and we hope it lasts a
    >>>>>>> while.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Steve
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> Odd. BTW, you are smart to keep the old DW. New appliances
    >>>>>> are rather iffy.
    >>>>> You are so right. Last year our 5 year old dishwasher lost its
    >>>>> water pump (I think that was it) so off to Lowe's. I was
    >>>>> looking for one like we had, a top line Bosch which I love.
    >>>>> Bosch had changed the rack arrangement and I did not like any
    >>>>> of them. Decided that Electrolux was as close as we were going
    >>>>> to get. It did not get dishes clean unless you had them almost
    >>>>> clean to start with. Returned it. We ordered the part from
    >>>>> Bosch (about $200) and got it in two days. DH replaced it
    >>>>> with minimum of profanity. It is great to have a DH who can
    >>>>> fix almost anything.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Hmmmm. I was just telling someone about my new GE, which has
    >>>> the tiniest scratch in the door... which has started to rust
    >>>> after THREE uses. I look inside my current Bosch (with the
    >>>> nonfunctional water pump--did they ever fix this issue?), which
    >>>> I used for many years and has an interior that looks brand new.
    >>>> Maybe I should put a new DW the current house and store the
    >>>> Bosch.
    >>>> I wonder whether the new GE will get totally rusty--like so
    >>>> many
    >>>> other things that should be made for their intended uses
    >>>> involving water.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I had a top of the line Kenmore with SS tub that never rusted,
    >>> but that was 10 years ago. Our next one, when we move, will be a
    >>> Maytag.
    >>>

    >> But... Maytag now is most likely NOT like the old Maytags. :-(
    >>

    >
    >I'm in a quandry now. I don't really know what to buy. Seems like
    >someone points out a flaw in almost every major brand.



    Find out which brand has someone in your area to do repairs. Talk to
    the repair people and find out how long to get a service call. How
    much is the call. Ask some of your friends who does repairs promptly
    and well. Sometimes the store will have their own repair crew. When
    we lived in Virginia we bought all of our appliances from the same
    place for about 25 years. It was locally owned and had their own crew
    and I always felt that I got great service. The first time I went
    there was after looking at all the big box stores for a washing
    machine. No one could deliver one for almost a week. I was headed
    for the hospital for surgery in a few days and I had a less than one
    year old at home. These were the days when we washed and dried our
    own diapers. I found the washing machine I wanted and asked when I
    could get it delivered. Would this afternoon be OK? The delivered it
    that afternoon and took the old one away. They got my business from
    then on.

    When we were moving here to NC I decided that the Maytag dishwasher
    that was in the house had to go. It was loud. I could hear it
    running from one end of the house to the other. Besides, I could not
    fit my dishes into it. So just about noon on New Year's Eve we went
    to our favorite dealer. Doors locked but saw someone in there. The
    owner came to the door and asked what we needed. I told him that I
    wanted a specific model of Bosch dishwasher. He let us in, and in a
    few minutes he as rolling the dishwasher out to the truck. I was
    looking for some drip pans for the stove at the new place. It was a
    GE that had removable panels on each side. When I told the owner's
    wife what the model was she asked it if I wanted the whole replacement
    panels. I got them at her cost and she was glad to get rid of them.
    We also got the griddle panel for it. They did pretty well for
    letting us in the door.

    How I wish for that store here. This is a small town and if Lowe's
    doesn't have it, it is a 40 mile trip to find it.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32