Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Fordhook lima beans

  1. #1
    sf Guest

    Default Fordhook lima beans


    I was at the store yesterday and there they were - on the bottom shelf
    in the freezer. So I bought a bag. What do I do now?

    How do you like to prepare them and what do you typically serve them
    with?

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  2. #2
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    sf <sf.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I was at the store yesterday and there they were - on the bottom shelf
    >in the freezer. So I bought a bag. What do I do now?
    >
    >How do you like to prepare them and what do you typically serve them
    >with?


    My favorite way to consume lima beans (including large ones) is with
    EVOO, oregano, sea salt, and either cider or red wine vinegar.
    (I haven't yet decided which vinegar is better.)

    Bonus points if the beans are unsalted to begin with, because then
    I can use more surface salt. Frozen limas are often unsalted.

    Steve

  3. #3
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:35:17 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    >My favorite way to consume lima beans (including large ones) is with
    >EVOO, oregano, sea salt, and either cider or red wine vinegar.
    >(I haven't yet decided which vinegar is better.)
    >
    >Steve


    Steve, I love limas, but have never tried how you eat them. Is it just
    a tiny drizzle of EVOO and vinegar? Like drops? I'll try it.

    All I ever do is put butter, salt and pepper on them and I love em
    that way.

  4. #4
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve, I love limas, but have never tried how you eat them. Is it just
    >a tiny drizzle of EVOO and vinegar? Like drops? I'll try it.


    It's up to you, but certainly less than a teaspoon of olive oil and
    even less vinegar on a bowl of beans.

    Steve

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:04:18 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I LOVE Fordhook lima beans. They are my favorite lima ....better than the 'baby' lima beans anyday.
    >
    > I love them cooked in just a tiny bit of water till they are just barely tender, with a bit of butter and salt. They are even good cold and eaten like popcorn.
    >
    > I also love succotash...and put them in soups and/or stews.


    Thanks. I've never seen them before yesterday. Maybe our stores are
    looking elsewhere because apparently the California crops are drowning
    in all the rain.

    Do you typically serve your Fordhooks with pork? I'm not a lima bean
    eater so I don't have typical menus to fall back on.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:35:17 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    > My favorite way to consume lima beans (including large ones) is with
    > EVOO, oregano, sea salt, and either cider or red wine vinegar.
    > (I haven't yet decided which vinegar is better.)


    Thanks, Steve! I don't typically use both oil and vinegar on
    vegetables. Sounds tasty, but I wonder if it would cover up whatever
    the difference is with Fordhooks? I supposed moderation is the key.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  7. #7
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Mar 22, 4:17*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:04:18 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    >
    > <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > I LOVE Fordhook lima beans. * They are my favorite lima ....better than the 'baby' lima beans anyday.

    >
    > > I love them cooked in just a tiny bit of water till they are just barely tender, with a bit of butter and salt. * They are even good cold and eaten like popcorn.

    >
    > > I also love succotash...and put them in soups and/or stews.

    >
    > Thanks. *I've never seen them before yesterday. *Maybe our stores are
    > looking elsewhere because apparently the California crops are drowning
    > in all the rain.
    >
    > Do you typically serve your Fordhooks with pork? *I'm not a lima bean
    > eater so I don't have typical menus to fall back on.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.


    I think Fordhooks could be used like fava beans. They have about the
    same size and consistency but the flavor is a bit milder.
    I like the limas better than the favas because they are not such a
    pain in the ass to work with.

    I serve them with anything, as a side dish just lightly seasoned with
    butter salt and pepper usually. I could eat a bowl full
    by themselves.


  8. #8
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans


    On 22-Mar-2011, Landon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > All I ever do is put butter, salt and pepper on them and I love em
    > that way.


    On occasion, I fix them as you do. Most often, I season them with with
    smoked pork shank. I usually buy shanks cut into one inch segments, rather
    than whole; the amount of shank needed is dependent on personal choice and
    amount of limas.

    I brown the shanks, then cook them in water until falling off the bone;
    remove the shanks and separate the meat from skin and bone. Skim the
    resulting pork broth and use it to cook the limas; near the end, add the
    shank meat back to the pot. Left overs are good drained, popped into a
    small casserole and topped with cheese (cheddar is my choice) then baked
    until heated through and the cheese melts and starts to brown.
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  9. #9
    Landon Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 23:06:33 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    >Landon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Steve, I love limas, but have never tried how you eat them. Is it just
    >>a tiny drizzle of EVOO and vinegar? Like drops? I'll try it.

    >
    >It's up to you, but certainly less than a teaspoon of olive oil and
    >even less vinegar on a bowl of beans.
    >
    >Steve


    Thanks Steve. That will be on my table soon!

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:25:54 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think Fordhooks could be used like fava beans. They have about the
    > same size and consistency but the flavor is a bit milder.
    > I like the limas better than the favas because they are not such a
    > pain in the ass to work with.


    That's a great idea! I could use them in risotto.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  11. #11
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Mar 22, 4:40*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    >
    > That's a great idea! *I could use them in risotto. *


    I've made this one substituting limas for the favas and it was
    realllllly good.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/dining/231rrex.html


    ..


  12. #12
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    i cover them with chicken or pork broth, ham in a pinch, a bit of garlic
    simmer until tender, eat as a side or mash/stick blend and eat as soup, Lee
    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > I was at the store yesterday and there they were - on the bottom shelf
    > in the freezer. So I bought a bag. What do I do now?
    >
    > How do you like to prepare them and what do you typically serve them
    > with?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.




  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:45:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mar 22, 4:40*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > That's a great idea! *I could use them in risotto. *

    >
    > I've made this one substituting limas for the favas and it was
    > realllllly good.
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/dining/231rrex.html
    >

    Thanks for the link - I like Lidia a lot!

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:49:45 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:45:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Mar 22, 4:40*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > That's a great idea! *I could use them in risotto. *

    > >
    > > I've made this one substituting limas for the favas and it was
    > > realllllly good.
    > >
    > > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/dining/231rrex.html
    > >

    > Thanks for the link - I like Lidia a lot!


    PS: I actually had a pea and asparagus risotto in mind to make soon.
    All I need to add is fava or Fordhook (I have both in the freezer
    now).

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  15. #15
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    pork yes, ham no, for some reason i don't like limas with ham, Lee
    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:04:18 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I LOVE Fordhook lima beans. They are my favorite lima ....better than
    >> the 'baby' lima beans anyday.
    >>
    >> I love them cooked in just a tiny bit of water till they are just barely
    >> tender, with a bit of butter and salt. They are even good cold and
    >> eaten like popcorn.
    >>
    >> I also love succotash...and put them in soups and/or stews.

    >
    > Thanks. I've never seen them before yesterday. Maybe our stores are
    > looking elsewhere because apparently the California crops are drowning
    > in all the rain.
    >
    > Do you typically serve your Fordhooks with pork? I'm not a lima bean
    > eater so I don't have typical menus to fall back on.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.




  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:48:43 -0500, "Storrmmee"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i cover them with chicken or pork broth, ham in a pinch, a bit of garlic
    > simmer until tender, eat as a side or mash/stick blend and eat as soup, Lee


    Do you use (fresh, frozen) Fordhooks or dried lima beans for that,
    Lee?



    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  17. #17
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    [ substituting limas for the favas ]

    I'll have to say I find this a bizarre substitution. The beans
    are not only not in the same species, they are not in the same
    genus and come from different parts of the world. They taste totally
    different.

    If one were hoping for fava beans, and got lima beans, one would
    be highly disappointed.

    Nor would I season them the same way. Fava beans go well with
    thyme and lemon.

    Steve

  18. #18
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was at the store yesterday and there they were - on the bottom shelf
    > in the freezer. So I bought a bag. What do I do now?
    >
    > How do you like to prepare them and what do you typically serve them
    > with?


    I cook them according to the directions on the package, either microwave
    or a small saucepan on the stove, with a little water and some butter.
    Sometimes I put a little dill weed in there.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  19. #19
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    i just hate to ask this but i can't resist... have you made this before, and
    what color does it turn out? i am imagining a really unpleaseant color, i
    am hoping you can describe it well enough to clear my imagination, Lee
    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:49:45 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:45:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Mar 22, 4:40 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    >> > >
    >> > > That's a great idea! I could use them in risotto.
    >> >
    >> > I've made this one substituting limas for the favas and it was
    >> > realllllly good.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/dining/231rrex.html
    >> >

    >> Thanks for the link - I like Lidia a lot!

    >
    > PS: I actually had a pea and asparagus risotto in mind to make soon.
    > All I need to add is fava or Fordhook (I have both in the freezer
    > now).
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.




  20. #20
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Fordhook lima beans

    any will do but the frozen fh are easiest and taste the best to me... i
    seriously suspect the lazy/quick factor plays a part... another thing the dh
    does is make a minestrone,sp and add frozen fh to it, really different to me
    but very tastey, Lee
    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:48:43 -0500, "Storrmmee"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> i cover them with chicken or pork broth, ham in a pinch, a bit of garlic
    >> simmer until tender, eat as a side or mash/stick blend and eat as soup,
    >> Lee

    >
    > Do you use (fresh, frozen) Fordhooks or dried lima beans for that,
    > Lee?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32