Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Food Snob -repost

  1. #1
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Food Snob -repost

    Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.

    Why do I still refuse to call a standing Rib roast a Prime rib?

    As I just posted in the "recipe of the year" here are my reasons:

    "You know there is a simple problem.

    Think of all the young people who will NEVER have the joy of tasting the/an
    original dish made correctly.

    They'll go through life thinking that Scampi means garlic butter and can be
    poured on anything, or Alfredo means some creamy salty kind of cheesy crap.

    How many people do you think believe the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is a
    real Hamburger?

    Why do you think the lines at In-N-Out are always several cars deep? Fresh
    beef never frozen? Real Fresh potatoes used for Fries not the Simplot
    extruded or molded crap.

    Honey I made the kids breakfast this morning I put some Eggo's in the
    toaster!

    Unadulterated garbage!"

    (End Rant)

    Dimitri


  2. #2
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    Dimitri wrote:
    > Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.
    >
    > Why do I still refuse to call a standing Rib roast a Prime rib?
    >
    > As I just posted in the "recipe of the year" here are my reasons:
    >
    > "You know there is a simple problem.
    >
    > Think of all the young people who will NEVER have the joy of tasting
    > the/an original dish made correctly.
    >
    > They'll go through life thinking that Scampi means garlic butter and can
    > be poured on anything, or Alfredo means some creamy salty kind of cheesy
    > crap.
    >
    > How many people do you think believe the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is
    > a real Hamburger?
    >
    > Why do you think the lines at In-N-Out are always several cars deep?
    > Fresh beef never frozen? Real Fresh potatoes used for Fries not the
    > Simplot extruded or molded crap.
    >
    > Honey I made the kids breakfast this morning I put some Eggo's in the
    > toaster!
    >
    > Unadulterated garbage!"
    >
    > (End Rant)
    >
    > Dimitri


    Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers. I watch
    the Biggest Loser, and a married couple on the show, eat fast food every
    night for dinner. The wife, who is an RN, was holding up a piece of
    broccoli, saying her three children have never tasted vegetables.

    There is a business that started here in Louisiana, called Raising
    Cane's Chicken Fingers. A lot of 20 and 30-somethings have made this
    business successful, because that is the food they are accustomed to
    eating. We were in Las Vegas last week, and I saw two of these
    restaurants, there.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising...hicken_Fingers

    When we grow old, I hope we can still find vegetables.

    Becca


  3. #3
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Jan 19, 11:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

    > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.



    Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.

  4. #4
    The Ranger Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob - repost

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    On Jan 19, 11:15 am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    > > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza
    > > and burgers.
    > >

    > Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's
    > usually all fried stuff. Why can't they put out a plate
    > of roasted chicken, some mashed potatoes and a
    > few peeeees, for heaven's sake.


    For one very simple reason: "Healthy" kids' meals don't sell.

    The restaurants are in the business of making money -- off
    everything they sell -- and if one dish repeatedly is unordered
    then that item is dropped in favor of more sellable items.

    Children's menus consist of items that are not only familiar to
    the child but are also proven to move. Fried foods, regardless
    of the minority that _say_ they'll never order such dishes for
    _their_ children, move quickly and are ordered regularly.

    If you think your child will eat roast chicken, mashed
    potatoes, and a smattering of peas, then order it off the adult
    menu. Whatever they don't eat can be schlepped home in a doggie
    bag.

    Since I don't make chicken nuggets at home, having them out at
    a restaurant worked just fine.

    The Ranger



  5. #5
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    Becca wrote:

    > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers. I watch
    > the Biggest Loser, and a married couple on the show, eat fast food every
    > night for dinner. The wife, who is an RN, was holding up a piece of
    > broccoli, saying her three children have never tasted vegetables.
    >

    That is soooooooo sad and disgusting.
    My oldest, when you asked her to pick a meal out always chose "roast
    chicken, rice and broccoli" and she was only four! I think it is still
    a favorite meal of hers.

  6. #6
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    In article <331dl.18150$[email protected]>,
    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.


    That's not an insult imho. ;-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

  7. #7
    The Ranger Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Jan 19, 8:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    [snip]
    > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.
    > I watch the Biggest Loser, and a married couple on the show, eat
    > fast food every night for dinner. *The wife, who is an RN, was
    > holding up a piece of broccoli, saying her three children have
    > never tasted vegetables.


    <sigh>

    Now there's a show to base the eating habits of a whole country
    upon... The "contestants" on Biggest Loser are picked because they are
    easily-mocked stereotypes, not because they represent The Girl & Boy
    Next Door.

    Those "people" don't care what people think about them as long as
    their names are spelled correctly.

    The Ranger

  8. #8
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > On Jan 19, 11:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    >
    > > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.

    >
    >
    > Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    > stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    > potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.


    Simple.

    Don't buy from the kids menu, and go to a buffet like my sister and
    brother in law have been doing for my two nephews. I'm gratified by the
    healthy foods they are delighted to eat as they've always been offered a
    variety and not forced to eat anything they don't like!

    They are 3 and 6, and love sushi for a start.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

  9. #9
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Becca wrote:
    >
    > > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers. I watch
    > > the Biggest Loser, and a married couple on the show, eat fast food every
    > > night for dinner. The wife, who is an RN, was holding up a piece of
    > > broccoli, saying her three children have never tasted vegetables.
    > >

    > That is soooooooo sad and disgusting.
    > My oldest, when you asked her to pick a meal out always chose "roast
    > chicken, rice and broccoli" and she was only four! I think it is still
    > a favorite meal of hers.


    You raised your kid right. Well done. ;-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:26:56 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
    wrote:

    >On Jan 19, 11:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.

    >
    >
    >Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    >stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    >potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.


    Because kids like fried food and will eat it w/o complaining
    (hopefully they'll even stop talking for a bit) - which gives the
    adults time to talk to each other. If mom and dad really want their
    kid to have roasted chicken, they can order it from the adult menu or
    give the kid some of their own.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
    interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  11. #11
    Lynn from Fargo Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Jan 19, 9:31*am, "Dimitri" <Dimitr...@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.
    >
    > Why do I still refuse to call a standing Rib roast a Prime rib?
    >
    > As I just posted in the "recipe of the year" here are my reasons:
    >
    > "You know there is a simple problem.
    >
    > Think of all the young people who will NEVER have the joy of tasting the/an
    > original dish made correctly.
    >
    > They'll go through life thinking that Scampi means garlic butter and can be
    > poured on anything, or Alfredo means some creamy salty kind of cheesy crap.
    >
    > How many people do you think believe the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is a
    > real Hamburger?
    >
    > Why do you think the lines at In-N-Out are always several cars deep? Fresh
    > beef never frozen? Real Fresh potatoes used for Fries not *the Simplot
    > extruded or molded crap.
    >
    > Honey I made the kids breakfast this morning I put some Eggo's in the
    > toaster!
    >
    > Unadulterated garbage!"
    >
    > (End Rant)
    >
    > Dimitri

    ==========================================
    Dimitri be right!
    Food and cooking is like Jazz and music. You can make Jazz from any
    music, from motets to Mozart to Mancini. But you gotta lay down the
    totally recognizable unadulterated melody first, and THEN twist it and
    bend it till you get what delights you. Them ol' long haired guys
    (Beethoven not Bolton) called it "variations on a theme".
    Has been JazzSinger
    Lynn in Fargo

  12. #12
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > On Jan 19, 11:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    >
    > > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.

    >
    >
    > Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    > stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    > potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.


    I don't worry about the kids so much, I worry about the adults. Kids
    are growing rapidly. They are generally very active. They need high
    calorie foods. Their tastes are often different.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  13. #13
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    In article <331dl.18150$[email protected]>,
    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.


    And certainly a food picture snob!

    > Why do I still refuse to call a standing Rib roast a Prime rib?


    I don't know. Why don't you tell us?

    > As I just posted in the "recipe of the year" here are my reasons:


    None of those reasons had anything to do with why you persist in
    refusing to call a Prime Rib a Prime Rib. I don't call it that because
    I find the term confusing. Even though many of us on the group
    understand that, by law, the word "prime" in Prime Rib does not refer to
    the grade of the meat, since the term came in use well before the USDA
    started grading beef, but others may not know that and may be confused.
    But why do *you* refuse to call it Prime Rib? And don't tell me it's
    because some people put frozen waffles in the toaster and call it
    "breakfast"!

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  14. #14
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost


    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > In article <331dl.18150$[email protected]>,
    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I am sure many will think I am a food snob.

    >
    > And certainly a food picture snob!
    >
    >> Why do I still refuse to call a standing Rib roast a Prime rib?

    >
    > I don't know. Why don't you tell us?
    >
    >> As I just posted in the "recipe of the year" here are my reasons:

    >
    > None of those reasons had anything to do with why you persist in
    > refusing to call a Prime Rib a Prime Rib. I don't call it that because
    > I find the term confusing. Even though many of us on the group
    > understand that, by law, the word "prime" in Prime Rib does not refer to
    > the grade of the meat, since the term came in use well before the USDA
    > started grading beef, but others may not know that and may be confused.
    > But why do *you* refuse to call it Prime Rib? And don't tell me it's
    > because some people put frozen waffles in the toaster and call it
    > "breakfast"!
    >
    > --
    > Dan Abel
    > Petaluma, California USA
    > [email protected]


    The reason for the standing rib roast statement is simple - you can't make a
    silk purse out of a sow's ear. IMHO you can't make a prime rib from USDA
    Select beef. There is a substantial difference in texture and flavor.


    Lets take an example of aging beef - do you consider supermarket beef AGED?
    "it's aged in the bag".

    If a restaurant says we serve "Aged Beef" and uses cryovac beef are they
    lying? Deceptive?

    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ5968.html

    Dry vs. 'In The Bag'
    The previous discussion has centered on aging carcasses and wholesale cuts
    (e.g., ribs and loins) in a cooler of some type. This process is referred to
    as "dry" aging. If you have an animal slaughtered at a plant or buy a side
    of beef, aging would likely take place in this manner.

    Currently, about 90 percent of the beef shipped from the point of slaughter
    is shipped as boxed beef. Boxed beef is wholesale cuts packaged into vacuum
    packages (bags) and placed into a box for shipping. The retailer stores
    boxed beef under refrigeration until meat is needed for display and sale.
    The bag is opened and the meat cut into retail cuts. During the period meat
    is in the bag, it does actually age and is referred to as "aging in the
    bag."

    There is considerable debate in the industry as to which process results in
    the most desirable flavor. Most people agree that dry aging results in a
    unique flavor. However, persons not familiar with dry aged beef often
    describe it as slightly "musty" in flavor when eaten for the first time. One
    study (J. Food Sci., 50:1544) observed that dry aging resulted in a more
    intense beef flavor compared with aging "in the bag." However, overall
    eating satisfaction was higher in cooked steaks aged "in the bag" because of
    fewer off-odors and off-flavors. It is known that the predominant
    microorganisms present after dry aging are the pseudomonads whereas the
    lactobacilli are the most prevalent in beef aged in the bag. It is also
    well-known that less shrinkage occurs with beef aged in the bag as compared
    with dry aging.

    How about if this place served grass fed select beef? Should they change
    their name? Are they being deceptive?

    http://www.theprimerib.com/history2.shtml

    You tell me.


    Dimitri


  15. #15
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Mon 19 Jan 2009 12:23:14p, Dan Abel told us...

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 19, 11:15*am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.

    >>
    >>
    >> Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    >> stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    >> potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.

    >
    > I don't worry about the kids so much, I worry about the adults. Kids
    > are growing rapidly. They are generally very active. They need high
    > calorie foods. Their tastes are often different.
    >


    There are more obese children, some morbidly so, in this country today than
    ever before.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
    ************************************************** **********************
    Date: Monday, 01(I)/19(XIX)/09(MMIX)
    ************************************************** **********************
    Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
    ************************************************** **********************
    Death is just the ultimate expression of radical solipsism.
    ************************************************** **********************



  16. #16
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    On Jan 19, 11:15 am, Becca <BeccaNOS...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

    > Children today are raised on chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers.



    Yeah - go to a resto which has a kid's menu and it's usually all fried
    stuff. Why can't they put out a plate of roasted chicken, some mashed
    potatoes and a few peeeees, for heaven's sake.



    I don't know about you but I wasn't raised eating restaurant food. Perhaps
    that's the root of the problem. The parents don't know how to cook, they
    know how to "order". You can't control what goes on in a restaurant kitchen
    or what's on their menu. You can control what's in your own kitchen. And
    there are ways to make food taste good that don't involve deep fat frying or
    over-salting. You can make your own chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers. If
    you care to.

    Jill


  17. #17
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:01:47 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I don't know about you but I wasn't raised eating restaurant food. Perhaps
    >that's the root of the problem.


    Kids today are not raised on restaurant food....they are raised on
    "drive thru" food...i.e. Lazy parenting. Ever seen a
    "SaladsRUs" restaurant? Not in this country....unfortunately, that
    wouldn't make it.

    We had a trememdous Christmas dinner. My children and grandchildren
    were here. I overheard my grandson telling my daughter after the
    meal that he was still hungry because there wasn't anything to eat.
    Thirty minutes later, she announced they were going to a "movie".





  18. #18
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:02:03 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo wrote:

    ==========================================
    > Dimitri be right!
    > Food and cooking is like Jazz and music. You can make Jazz from any
    > music, from motets to Mozart to Mancini. But you gotta lay down the
    > totally recognizable unadulterated melody first, and THEN twist it and
    > bend it till you get what delights you. Them ol' long haired guys
    > (Beethoven not Bolton) called it "variations on a theme".
    > Has been JazzSinger
    > Lynn in Fargo


    a local jazz band (d.c.) did a version of 'won't you come home bill bailey'
    that swung pretty hard. they also do a version of 'ode to billy joe,' but
    they call it 'ode to billy joel.'

    your pal,
    blake

  19. #19
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    jmcquown wrote:

    > I don't know about you but I wasn't raised eating restaurant food.
    > Perhaps that's the root of the problem. The parents don't know how to
    > cook, they know how to "order". You can't control what goes on in a
    > restaurant kitchen or what's on their menu. You can control what's in
    > your own kitchen. And there are ways to make food taste good that don't
    > involve deep fat frying or over-salting. You can make your own chicken
    > nuggets, pizza and burgers. If you care to.
    >
    > Jill


    One of my friends is an interior decorator and her husband is an ENT.
    They eat out every night, because they are too busy to cook. It was sad
    to see this happening, to children who were so little. A group of us
    went to Disney, and while we were eating lunch, one of the kids dropped
    a spoon. One of the guys told him to kick it under the table like he
    does at home. Everyone started laughing. How sad is that.

    When my children were growing up, I cooked, even though I had little
    free time, myself. They never set food in a fast food restaurant until
    they were 6-7 years old.

    My sister divorced when her youngest was 2 yrs old, so she was single
    for 4 years. She remarried and quit working, then she could not figure
    out why her youngest two children turned up their nose at turnip greens,
    okra and black-eyed peas. It was like she was introducing these
    children to these foods for the first time.

    Becca

  20. #20
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Food Snob -repost

    Mr. Bill wrote:

    > Kids today are not raised on restaurant food....they are raised on
    > "drive thru" food...i.e. Lazy parenting. Ever seen a
    > "SaladsRUs" restaurant? Not in this country....unfortunately, that
    > wouldn't make it.


    Actually, I have one in my town. I think the name is spelled "SoupRSalads"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32