Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Feed Lot

  1. #21
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:18:45 -0600, gloria p <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 9/14/2012 6:07 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>>>

    >> Dinner tonight:
    >> http://i48.tinypic.com/4q5bq.jpg

    >
    >
    >Beautiful. Is hunting a big factor in your area? If the deer are that
    >tame, I fear fr their safety (and yours) during the season. There are
    >some crazies out there who can't tell a deer from a dog, a cow, or a horse.
    >
    >gloria p


    No one along this road permits hunting on their property, however that
    doesn't preclude the sneaks. Two years ago come spring the remains of
    a hunter was found in the woods near here with a deer slug through his
    skull... once the word gets out no one dares risk it. It's way too
    easy to way lay an illegal hunter, the cowards are not used to game
    that shoots back. I'm sure most just disappear, they become
    sustanence for the carrion eaters.

  2. #22
    Farm1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:43:35 +1000, "Farm1" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:


    Do they
    >>stay round your place during the winter?

    >
    > They're here all year.


    Thanks Sheldon. Does snow fall and stay on the ground where you live?



  3. #23
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    "Farm1" wrote:
    >"Brooklyn1" wrote:
    >>"Farm1" wrote:

    >
    >>> Do they stay round your place during the winter?

    >>
    >> They're here all year.

    >
    >Thanks Sheldon. Does snow fall and stay on the ground where you live?


    http://i48.tinypic.com/do6scj.jpg
    http://i47.tinypic.com/6syi6s.jpg
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2d6o1lj.jpg
    http://i50.tinypic.com/f2o9r5.jpg
    http://i46.tinypic.com/sc6ys9.jpg




  4. #24
    Farm1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > "Farm1" wrote:
    >>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
    >>>"Farm1" wrote:

    >>
    >>>> Do they stay round your place during the winter?
    >>>
    >>> They're here all year.

    >>
    >>Thanks Sheldon. Does snow fall and stay on the ground where you live?

    >
    > http://i48.tinypic.com/do6scj.jpg
    > http://i47.tinypic.com/6syi6s.jpg
    > http://i48.tinypic.com/2d6o1lj.jpg
    > http://i50.tinypic.com/f2o9r5.jpg
    > http://i46.tinypic.com/sc6ys9.jpg


    OMG! What do the deer eat when it's like that for a long time? I notice
    that you've thrown some food out for one of them but is their grazing for
    the other deer int he woods or what?

    Lovely pics BTW.



  5. #25
    projectile vomit chick Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Sep 14, 10:09*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > projectile vomit chick wrote:
    > >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > >> Dinner tonight:

    >
    > http://i48.tinypic.com/4q5bq.jpg
    >
    >
    >
    > >Lovely to see all that green. *Out here in Nebraska is all scorched
    > >earth.

    >
    > It was all scorched here a month ago, everything brown, but then the
    > rains came, a deluge with lots of lightening... a few days later while
    > mowing I noticed a tree at the edge of the woods was hit, split down
    > the center. *I'm glad it didn't damage all those young spruce trees.
    > Always something to keep me busy, I'll take it down tomorrow. *I don't
    > mind working in the woods this time of year, it's cooler and no bugs:http://i50.tinypic.com/28h32qd.jpght...om/1zzntqp.jpg


    Wow! That must've been some storm. I really envy you with all of
    your space and trees.

  6. #26
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:43:35 +1000, Farm1 wrote:

    > Do they stay round your place during the winter?


    Like birds, they fly south for the winter. The lazy ones take
    Greyhound.

    -sw

  7. #27
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:05:49 +1000, "Farm1" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> "Farm1" wrote:
    >>>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
    >>>>"Farm1" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> Do they stay round your place during the winter?
    >>>>
    >>>> They're here all year.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Sheldon. Does snow fall and stay on the ground where you live?

    >>
    >> http://i48.tinypic.com/do6scj.jpg
    >> http://i47.tinypic.com/6syi6s.jpg
    >> http://i48.tinypic.com/2d6o1lj.jpg
    >> http://i50.tinypic.com/f2o9r5.jpg
    >> http://i46.tinypic.com/sc6ys9.jpg

    >
    >OMG! What do the deer eat when it's like that for a long time? I notice
    >that you've thrown some food out for one of them but is their grazing for
    >the other deer int he woods or what?
    >
    >Lovely pics BTW.


    In winter their diet changes to less grass and more twigs. They
    browse the brush at the forest edge and eat the exposed grass
    protected from snow cover by conifers... deer will also dig down
    through the snow.

  8. #28
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > In winter their diet changes to less grass and more twigs.
    > They browse the brush at the forest edge and eat the
    > exposed grass protected from snow cover by conifers... deer
    > will also dig down through the snow.




    My deer herd (17 at last count) get desperate in winter. They
    feed on the rhododendrons as a last resort. They've eaten the
    lower leaves to about four feet or five feet. I've seen them
    standing on their hind legs to feed!

    During summer they have the nasty knack of waiting for the
    hydrangeas to come to full bloom and then eat all the
    blossoms. If I'm lucky I might get a few days of blue before
    they vanish.

    The back of the house is a perfect wind break so they sleep on
    the back patio right below the master bedroom. The melted snow
    patches makes for an easy herd count.

    They don't eat pine needles as they make better bedding.

    Andy

  9. #29
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:31:03 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 14, 10:09 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>> projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >>>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>>>> Dinner tonight:
    >>>
    >>> http://i48.tinypic.com/4q5bq.jpg
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Lovely to see all that green. Out here in Nebraska is all scorched
    >>>> earth.
    >>>
    >>> It was all scorched here a month ago, everything brown, but then the
    >>> rains came, a deluge with lots of lightening... a few days later
    >>> while
    >>> mowing I noticed a tree at the edge of the woods was hit, split down
    >>> the center. I'm glad it didn't damage all those young spruce trees.
    >>> Always something to keep me busy, I'll take it down tomorrow. I
    >>> don't
    >>> mind working in the woods this time of year, it's cooler and no
    >>> bugs:http://i50.tinypic.com/28h32qd.jpght...om/1zzntqp.jpg

    >>
    >> Wow! That must've been some storm. I really envy you with all of
    >> your space and trees.

    >
    > I've been to Nebraska, several times. I think you have even more
    > space there.


    Indeed they do, with nothing sticking up to get in the way of the view for
    miles in any direction.



  10. #30
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:43:35 +1000, Farm1 wrote:
    >
    >> Do they stay round your place during the winter?

    >
    > Like birds, they fly south for the winter. The lazy ones take
    > Greyhound.
    >
    > -sw


    Around here they just rob a few convenience stores and then hole up for the
    winter in an old abandoned Taco Bell.



  11. #31
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:45:15 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:31:03 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sep 14, 10:09 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>>> projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >>>>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>>>>> Dinner tonight:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/4q5bq.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Lovely to see all that green. Out here in Nebraska is all scorched
    >>>>> earth.
    >>>>
    >>>> It was all scorched here a month ago, everything brown, but then the
    >>>> rains came, a deluge with lots of lightening... a few days later
    >>>> while
    >>>> mowing I noticed a tree at the edge of the woods was hit, split down
    >>>> the center. I'm glad it didn't damage all those young spruce trees.
    >>>> Always something to keep me busy, I'll take it down tomorrow. I
    >>>> don't
    >>>> mind working in the woods this time of year, it's cooler and no
    >>>> bugs:http://i50.tinypic.com/28h32qd.jpght...om/1zzntqp.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Wow! That must've been some storm. I really envy you with all of
    >>> your space and trees.

    >>
    >> I've been to Nebraska, several times. I think you have even more
    >> space there.

    >
    >Indeed they do, with nothing sticking up to get in the way of the view for
    >miles in any direction.


    Nope, that would be Kansas, flat as a pancake... Nebraska actually has
    breasts.
    http://www.nebraska-map.org/topo-map.htm
    http://www.improbable.com/airchives/...i3/kansas.html

  12. #32
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:22:09 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    >> In winter their diet changes to less grass and more twigs.
    >> They browse the brush at the forest edge and eat the
    >> exposed grass protected from snow cover by conifers... deer
    >> will also dig down through the snow.

    >
    >
    >
    >My deer herd (17 at last count) get desperate in winter. They
    >feed on the rhododendrons as a last resort. They've eaten the
    >lower leaves to about four feet or five feet. I've seen them
    >standing on their hind legs to feed!
    >
    >During summer they have the nasty knack of waiting for the
    >hydrangeas to come to full bloom and then eat all the
    >blossoms. If I'm lucky I might get a few days of blue before
    >they vanish.
    >
    >The back of the house is a perfect wind break so they sleep on
    >the back patio right below the master bedroom. The melted snow
    >patches makes for an easy herd count.
    >
    >They don't eat pine needles as they make better bedding.


    Deer don't eat conifer needless that are dead on the ground, but they
    will relish many varieties of live conifers. Even though there are
    plants listed that deer don't eat some, just like people, will develop
    a taste for the particular plants they're purported not to eat,
    therefore with a herd of deer about no plant is safe. And deer will
    eat pine, fir too, it's spruce they are purported not to eat but still
    some deer will seek out particular types of spruce (even deer can have
    TIAD).

  13. #33
    John John Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:47:52 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:43:35 +1000, Farm1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do they stay round your place during the winter?

    >>
    >> Like birds, they fly south for the winter. The lazy ones take
    >> Greyhound.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >Around here they just rob a few convenience stores and then hole up for the
    >winter in an old abandoned Taco Bell.


    No, that's your relatives.

    John

  14. #34
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    John John <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:47:52 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:43:35 +1000, Farm1 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Do they stay round your place during the winter?
    >>>
    >>> Like birds, they fly south for the winter. The lazy ones take
    >>> Greyhound.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> Around here they just rob a few convenience stores and then hole up
    >> for the winter in an old abandoned Taco Bell.

    >
    > No, that's your relatives.
    >
    > John


    Wow, that's clever.

    Tell us, Porta-Johnny, what other names have you used to post here?



  15. #35
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > And deer will
    > eat pine, fir too, it's spruce they are purported not to
    > eat but still some deer will seek out particular types of
    > spruce (even deer can have TIAD).




    Sheldon,

    The bucks used the blue spruce trunks to sharpen their antlers
    or scratch Zen itch, I don't know which but it definitely
    stunted the spruce growth.

    A few tunes I saw the bucks fight for mating rights/dominance. I
    found broken antlers of the losers in the meadow.

    Two things I learned is they establish a well defined path to
    travel, does first, then the bucks. I figured it's a safety
    tactic from hunters. They're not afraid of me but they sure do
    spook quickly!

    Best,

    Andy


  16. #36
    Farm1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:05:49 +1000, "Farm1"
    >>OMG! What do the deer eat when it's like that for a long time? I notice
    >>that you've thrown some food out for one of them but is their grazing for
    >>the other deer int he woods or what?
    >>
    >>Lovely pics BTW.

    >
    > In winter their diet changes to less grass and more twigs. They
    > browse the brush at the forest edge and eat the exposed grass
    > protected from snow cover by conifers... deer will also dig down
    > through the snow.


    Thanks Sheldon. We are starting to see a few deer coming into the back of
    our farm as they escaped from a deer farm. As if the blasted kangaroos
    eating the grass wasn't enough but now we are getting more exotic
    freeloaders!



  17. #37
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:30:28 +1000, "Farm1" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:05:49 +1000, "Farm1"
    >>>OMG! What do the deer eat when it's like that for a long time? I notice
    >>>that you've thrown some food out for one of them but is their grazing for
    >>>the other deer int he woods or what?
    >>>
    >>>Lovely pics BTW.

    >>
    >> In winter their diet changes to less grass and more twigs. They
    >> browse the brush at the forest edge and eat the exposed grass
    >> protected from snow cover by conifers... deer will also dig down
    >> through the snow.

    >
    >Thanks Sheldon. We are starting to see a few deer coming into the back of
    >our farm as they escaped from a deer farm. As if the blasted kangaroos
    >eating the grass wasn't enough but now we are getting more exotic
    >freeloaders!


    Unlike sheep deer don't eat down to the roots, deer trim just to mowed
    lawn height, saves some mowing.... unfortunately it's not possible to
    train them to eat everything evenly in one spot before moving on. I
    have no idea about kangaroos.

  18. #38
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Feed Lot

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > Dinner tonight:
    > http://i48.tinypic.com/4q5bq.jpg


    Sweet!

    --
    Jean B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32