Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Fat Tuesday

  1. #1
    Dymphna Guest

    Default Fat Tuesday


    So what's for dinner?


    --
    Dymphna
    Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com


  2. #2
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dymphna <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So what's for dinner?


    Enchiladas blancas, black bean and corn salad, salsa rice, blackberry
    cobbler and ice cream. I switched our dinners between yesterday and
    today. We usually hosted a Mardi Gras doughnut party and fried up
    doughnuts for our church and friends, but since we moved and still
    haven't found a church here, only have a few friends near by and our
    house is still in disarray, we aren't doing any parties tonight.

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > So what's for dinner?


    I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  4. #4
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Feb 16, 12:29*pm, Dymphna <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com>
    wrote:
    > So what's for dinner?


    A tossed salad with shrimp, avocado and lime vinaigrette.
    Whole wheat bread with a little butter scraped across it.
    Ice water.

    Fat Tuesday is of no consequence to me.

    Cindy Hamilton

  5. #5
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Feb 16, 9:29*am, Dymphna <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com>
    wrote:
    > So what's for dinner?
    >
    > --
    > Dymphna
    > Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com


    When I lived in New Orleans, it was walk and snack everywhere on Fat
    Tuesday.

    Now that I don't live there any more, I don't observe it ....except to
    check in on the live web cams every now and then and smile at the
    partiers.

  6. #6
    Janet Baraclough Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Dymphna <[email protected]> contains these words:


    > So what's for dinner?


    Pancakes with lemon and sugar.

    , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain

    Janet

  7. #7
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    Janet Baraclough wrote:
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from Dymphna <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >
    >> So what's for dinner?

    >
    > Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
    >
    > , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain



    In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
    like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
    go to waste during Lent.

    Depending on who is making them, they can be great... or as bland as
    cardboard.

    George L

  8. #8
    Kajikit Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> So what's for dinner?

    >
    >I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.


    Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists observe Lent
    too and so do some other churches. I never have though...
    --

    My website - http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    My cooking blog - http://kajikit.wordpress.com
    My crafty blog - http://kajikit.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Felice Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday


    "Dymphna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    >
    > So what's for dinner?


    Pancakes, of course (or shroves, as the kids used to call them). In the
    olden days I used to make several kinds but now I settle for one: cornmeal,
    oatmeal, Swedish, whatever, as long as there's plenty of butter and Grade B
    maple syrup.

    And usually sausage.

    Even if there's no serious religious significance, it's a good reason to
    have something different for dinner!

    Felice



  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:44:00 -0500, Kajikit <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
    > ><[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> So what's for dinner?

    > >
    > >I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

    >
    > Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists observe Lent
    > too and so do some other churches. I never have though...


    Sure there is an observation of Lent, but not the way Catholics do it.
    Maundy Thursday was far more important than Shrove Tuesday in the
    Congregational church I grew up attending.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  11. #11
    barbie gee Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday



    On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Kajikit wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:18:13 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:29:18 -0600, Dymphna
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So what's for dinner?

    >>
    >> I'm not catholic. This Tuesday will be like any other Tuesday for me.

    >
    > Shrove Tuesday isn't just for Catholics... Methodists observe Lent
    > too and so do some other churches. I never have though...


    Don't care what religion one is, I think it's a good time for some good
    eating!

  12. #12
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    Dymphna wrote:
    > So what's for dinner?



    Fat Tuesday? Not around here. We call it Pancake Day. We are having
    pancakes and ham steak.

  13. #13
    Tara Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
    surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
    rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
    Depeaux.

    Tara

  14. #14
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    On Feb 16, 10:29*am, Janet Baraclough <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk>
    wrote:
    > The message <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com>
    > from Dymphna <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com> contains these words:
    >
    > > So what's for dinner?

    >
    > * *Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
    >
    > , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain
    >
    > * *Janet


    Are you sure you're not Andy????

  15. #15
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday


    "Chemo the Clown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Feb 16, 10:29 am, Janet Baraclough <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >> The message <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com>
    >> from Dymphna <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com> contains these
    >> words:
    >>
    >> > So what's for dinner?

    >>
    >> Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
    >>
    >> , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain
    >>
    >> Janet

    >
    > Are you sure you're not Andy????


    LOL



    --
    --
    https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/


  16. #16
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    George Leppla wrote:
    >
    > In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
    > like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
    > go to waste during Lent.


    My Mom made faschnacht kiegels that were like deep fried bow tie donuts
    with a powdered sugar dusting. Delicious. I never did learn there was
    a religious origin until you taught me this. Thanks!

  17. #17
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > George Leppla wrote:
    >> In the Pennsylvania Dutch region, this is Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts are
    >> like donuts and they are made to use up any sweets, etc, so they won't
    >> go to waste during Lent.

    >
    > My Mom made faschnacht kiegels that were like deep fried bow tie donuts
    > with a powdered sugar dusting. Delicious. I never did learn there was
    > a religious origin until you taught me this. Thanks!



    You are welcome. The Amish and Mennonite communities in Pennsylvania
    make a big deal out of Fasnachts... and I assume the same from other
    similar communities through the country.

    The easiest way to make a quick Fasnacht is to deep fry tube biscuits...
    then dip in powdered sugar.

    George L

  18. #18
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    Tara wrote:
    > My husband is missing home (Metairie, Louisiana) lots today. We are
    > surprising him with a king cake. I was going to make red beans and
    > rice, but he called and is going to bring home dinner from The
    > Depeaux.



    King Cake! We had one last week. I'm not supposed to be eating
    anything with wheat flour in it but I went off the wagon for the King
    Cake... and I have been paying for it.

    It was really good, though!

    George L

  19. #19
    Janet Baraclough Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    The message
    <[email protected]>
    from Chemo the Clown <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > On Feb 16, 10:29*am, Janet Baraclough <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    > > The message <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com>
    > > from Dymphna <Dymphna.46h...@no-mx.forums.travel.com> contains these
    > > words:
    > >
    > > > So what's for dinner?

    > >
    > > * *Pancakes with lemon and sugar.
    > >
    > > , This is Pancake Tuesday in Britain
    > >
    > > * *Janet


    > Are you sure you're not Andy????


    I can't be, I haven't mentioned breakfast.

    Janet

  20. #20
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Fat Tuesday

    When I was a kid, we always had pancakes on Fat Tuesday. We were not
    Catholic, but it seemed like everyone else who lived in southern
    Louisiana, was. I continued the tradition, and my kids really enjoyed
    having pancakes for dinner.


    Becca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32