Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Farewell, White Lily

  1. #1
    Kate Connally Guest

    Default Farewell, White Lily

    For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    included the postage. Not too bad a deal.

    In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    comes to $16.95. ****!

    So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!

    My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!

    Kate, very disgruntled
    --
    Kate Connally
    If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
    Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    Until you bite their heads off.
    What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    mailto:[email protected]

  2. #2
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Kate Connally said...

    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    > included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    > comes to $16.95. ****!
    >
    > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >
    > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >
    > Kate, very disgruntled



    KATE!!!!!!

    You said the s word!!!

    AND the d word!!!

    I shall remain shocked for the rest of the day.

    Hope you hook up with that biscuit... s... stuff soon!

    Andy
    --
    Eat first, talk later.

  3. #3
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:17:20 -0400, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    >flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    >doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    >one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    >self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    >you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    >included the postage. Not too bad a deal.


    You can try substituting cake and pastry flours available locally.
    White Lilly runs about 8% protein and the self rising has 1 1/2 tsp
    baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt per cup added.


  4. #4
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Kate Connally wrote:
    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    > included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    > comes to $16.95. ****!
    >
    > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >
    > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >
    > Kate, very disgruntled


    You scared me for a minute there; I thought you meant White Lily was
    gone forever.

    Can you get Martha White self rising flour? "...the one all purpose
    flour. Martha White's self rising flour's got Hot Rise" (sorry about
    that.) It's about as good as WL. Actually you should be able to
    substitute any brand of SR flour because they are all made with softer
    wheat than all purpose flour. (White Lily all purpose flour is the one
    I look for, for cakes and pastry.)

    I just bought a bag of Cub Foods self-rising flour because it's the only
    brand I could find. Don't know how well it works yet. Gonna try using
    it for making waffles: 1 cup milk, 1 egg, some oil or melted unslated
    butter (haven't figured out how much yet), and enough SF flour until the
    batter looks right.

    Bob

  5. #5
    maxine Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On Apr 21, 11:17*am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.edu> wrote:
    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. *I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. *So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. *It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. *That
    > included the postage. *Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. *So it's been a while. *I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). *The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. *Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. *Total
    > comes to $16.95. *****!
    >
    > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. *Since I live in
    > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > PA. *They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > Damn! *And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > not in Cleveland. *I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > a year off. *Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > DC area, but no, they're not there either. *Double damn!
    >
    > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > Lily flour biscuits were the best. *I loved them. *Triple damn!!!!!
    >
    > Kate, very disgruntled


    Phew! I just found a bag of white Lily in my local discount place, and
    bought it for the light cake baking I like to do. It was probably
    there because Smuckers is clearing out the old stuff from the shelves
    (the date is a good year away)

    Share your biscuit recipe? Dh likes them, and mine have always been
    lead sinkers.

    maxine in ri

  6. #6
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On Apr 21, 11:06*am, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    > Kate Connally wrote:
    > > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. *I started
    > > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > > self-rising flour. *So I contacted the company and found out
    > > you could mail order it. *It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. *That
    > > included the postage. *Not too bad a deal.

    >
    > > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > > been cooking as much. *So it's been a while. *I was thinking
    > > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). *The
    > > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. *Now you
    > > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. *Total
    > > comes to $16.95. *****!

    >
    > > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. *Since I live in
    > > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > > PA. *They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > > Damn! *And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > > not in Cleveland. *I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > > a year off. *Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > > DC area, but no, they're not there either. *Double damn!

    >
    > > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > > Lily flour biscuits were the best. *I loved them. *Triple damn!!!!!

    >
    > > Kate, very disgruntled

    >
    > You scared me for a minute there; I thought you meant White Lily was
    > gone forever.
    >
    > Can you get Martha White self rising flour? "...the one all purpose
    > flour. *Martha White's self rising flour's got Hot Rise" (sorry about
    > that.) *It's about as good as WL. *Actually you should be able to
    > substitute any brand of SR flour because they are all made with softer
    > wheat than all purpose flour. *(White Lily all purpose flour is the one
    > I look for, for cakes and pastry.)
    >
    > I just bought a bag of Cub Foods self-rising flour because it's the only
    > brand I could find. *Don't know how well it works yet. *Gonna try using
    > it for making waffles: *1 cup milk, 1 egg, some oil or melted unslated
    > butter (haven't figured out how much yet), and enough SF flour until the
    > batter looks right.
    >
    > Bob


    Be careful of swapping self-rising flours. The ones from the South
    are made with soft wheat and that's why they make such good biscuits
    et al. Northern self-rising flour is made with hard wheat and has a
    lot more gluten and gets too "tough" for biscuits. You can substitute
    "cake" flour but add baking powder. Swansdown Swans Down ? ) used to
    be the brand here - I think it's General Mills, Or maybe Pillsbury?
    Lynn in Fargo

  7. #7
    Kris Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On Apr 21, 11:17*am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.edu> wrote:
    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. *I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. *So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. *It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. *That
    > included the postage. *Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. *So it's been a while. *I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). *The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. *Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. *Total
    > comes to $16.95. *****!
    >
    > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. *Since I live in
    > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > PA. *They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > Damn! *And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > not in Cleveland. *I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > a year off. *Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > DC area, but no, they're not there either. *Double damn!
    >
    > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > Lily flour biscuits were the best. *I loved them. *Triple damn!!!!!
    >
    > Kate, very disgruntled
    > --
    > Kate Connally
    > If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
    > Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    > Until you bite their heads off.
    > What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    > mailto:conna...@pitt.edu


    Man! That's a lot for flour. I feel your pain.

    Maybe try some on-line groceries? I mean regular stores. For example,
    our local grocery chain Meijer carries White Lily. I think they offer
    shipping, too.

    Just a thought,
    Kris

  8. #8
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 11:06 am, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    >> Kate Connally wrote:
    >>> For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    >>> flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    >>> doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    >>> one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    >>> self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    >>> you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    >>> included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >>> In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    >>> been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    >>> of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    >>> do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    >>> problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    >>> have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    >>> comes to $16.95. ****!
    >>> So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    >>> PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    >>> PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    >>> Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    >>> (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    >>> not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    >>> future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    >>> a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    >>> DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >>> My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    >>> That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    >>> Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >>> Kate, very disgruntled

    >> You scared me for a minute there; I thought you meant White Lily was
    >> gone forever.
    >>
    >> Can you get Martha White self rising flour? "...the one all purpose
    >> flour. Martha White's self rising flour's got Hot Rise" (sorry about
    >> that.) It's about as good as WL. Actually you should be able to
    >> substitute any brand of SR flour because they are all made with softer
    >> wheat than all purpose flour. (White Lily all purpose flour is the one
    >> I look for, for cakes and pastry.)
    >>
    >> I just bought a bag of Cub Foods self-rising flour because it's the only
    >> brand I could find. Don't know how well it works yet. Gonna try using
    >> it for making waffles: 1 cup milk, 1 egg, some oil or melted unslated
    >> butter (haven't figured out how much yet), and enough SF flour until the
    >> batter looks right.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >
    > Be careful of swapping self-rising flours. The ones from the South
    > are made with soft wheat and that's why they make such good biscuits
    > et al. Northern self-rising flour is made with hard wheat and has a
    > lot more gluten and gets too "tough" for biscuits. You can substitute
    > "cake" flour but add baking powder. Swansdown Swans Down ? ) used to
    > be the brand here - I think it's General Mills, Or maybe Pillsbury?
    > Lynn in Fargo



    Are you sure about that? I thought all SR flours were made with soft
    wheat (for biscuits.)

    For all purpose flour, I know what you said is true. That's why I try
    to keep a bag of White Lily flour on hand -- it's cheaper than cake
    flour. I almost never use self-rising flour, but bought a bag to play with.

    Bob

  9. #9
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Be careful of swapping self-rising flours. The ones from the South
    > are made with soft wheat and that's why they make such good biscuits
    > et al. Northern self-rising flour is made with hard wheat and has a
    > lot more gluten and gets too "tough" for biscuits. You can substitute
    > "cake" flour but add baking powder. Swansdown Swans Down ? ) used to
    > be the brand here - I think it's General Mills, Or maybe Pillsbury?
    > Lynn in Fargo


    Softasilk is the General Mills product.



    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
    "What you say about someone else says more
    about you than it does about the other person."

  10. #10
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On 2009-04-21, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Softasilk is the General Mills product.


    Insanely overpriced.

    I was gonna recommend Martha White (with Hotrize!) as an alternative, but it
    appears Smucker has smucked them up, too, the swine. Do not despair! Try
    going down to your local bakery and ask them if you can buy into some of
    their pastry flour. Yes, "cake" or "pastry" flour is soft Winter wheat
    flour, just like White Lily. Better to find a local supplier of bakery
    pastry flour. If you have a Williams-Sonoma store close by, you might give
    them a call. Some stores used to stock White Lily.

    While trying to get my client to post, I found this:

    http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=1458


    HTH...
    nb

  11. #11
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily


    "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gsko23$l8l$[email protected]..
    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    > included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    > comes to $16.95. ****!
    >
    > So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    > PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    > PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    > Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    > (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    > not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    > future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    > a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    > DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >
    > My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    > That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    > Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >
    > Kate, very disgruntled
    > --

    Try Wal-Mart. I'm way out here in the West and Wally carries it. Wally
    carries a lot of Southern items. I suppose because of where their
    headquarters are located and also they are realizing that people move around
    these days.
    Janet



  12. #12
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On 2009-04-21, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Kate, very disgruntled
    >> --

    > Try Wal-Mart. I'm way out here in the West and Wally carries it. Wally
    > carries a lot of Southern items.


    I've never seen it "in the West". Where are you? Large population of expat
    Southerners?

    nb

  13. #13
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote


    >> So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    >> PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    >> PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    >> Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.


    > Try Wal-Mart. I'm way out here in the West and Wally carries it.
    > Wally carries a lot of Southern items. I suppose because of where
    > their headquarters are located and also they are realizing that
    > people move around these days.


    I would put money that I've seen it in the local Acme. PA supermarket
    chain. Maybe you really can find it in a local store despite what
    the website says.

    nancy, going to check next time at the store

  14. #14
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:23:18 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
    <[email protected]> wrote:


    >
    >Be careful of swapping self-rising flours. The ones from the South
    >are made with soft wheat and that's why they make such good biscuits
    >et al. Northern self-rising flour is made with hard wheat and has a
    >lot more gluten and gets too "tough" for biscuits. You can substitute
    >"cake" flour but add baking powder. Swansdown Swans Down ? ) used to
    >be the brand here - I think it's General Mills, Or maybe Pillsbury?
    >Lynn in Fargo



    I haven't read through the whole thread, so pardon me if I offer up
    info in duplicate.

    Although WL is a fabulous, soft flour, there are techniques one can
    use in making biscuits that can come very close to covering one's ass
    and not having the perfect flour at the ready.

    This one is THE best, as far as I am concerned. In fact, I made them
    last night to go with that (not at all salty because I know how to
    soak and cook it) country ham I made over the weekend.

    http://www.southernliving.com/food/h...0400000007413/

    Boron

  15. #15
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily


    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On 2009-04-21, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Kate, very disgruntled
    >>> --

    >> Try Wal-Mart. I'm way out here in the West and Wally carries it. Wally
    >> carries a lot of Southern items.

    >
    > I've never seen it "in the West". Where are you? Large population of
    > expat
    > Southerners?
    >
    > nb

    Idaho. I don't know about expat -- perhaps so. All I know is all of a
    sudden a couple of years ago, Southern stuff started showing up. We even
    had real charcoal for awhile. It may be this store manager is keeping tabs
    on his buyers. He's very good about Mexican and Asian as well. I wouldn't
    shop outside the aisles at Wal-Mart, but the stuff in the aisles is worth a
    look and the price.
    Janet



  16. #16
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Boron Elgar wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:23:18 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Be careful of swapping self-rising flours. The ones from the South
    >> are made with soft wheat and that's why they make such good biscuits
    >> et al. Northern self-rising flour is made with hard wheat and has a
    >> lot more gluten and gets too "tough" for biscuits. You can substitute
    >> "cake" flour but add baking powder. Swansdown Swans Down ? ) used to
    >> be the brand here - I think it's General Mills, Or maybe Pillsbury?
    >> Lynn in Fargo

    >
    >
    > I haven't read through the whole thread, so pardon me if I offer up
    > info in duplicate.
    >
    > Although WL is a fabulous, soft flour, there are techniques one can
    > use in making biscuits that can come very close to covering one's ass
    > and not having the perfect flour at the ready.
    >
    > This one is THE best, as far as I am concerned. In fact, I made them
    > last night to go with that (not at all salty because I know how to
    > soak and cook it) country ham I made over the weekend.
    >
    > http://www.southernliving.com/food/h...0400000007413/
    >
    > Boron


    Thanks for the link. I used my Recipe Fox to put the recipe in my
    MasterCook. Took about 5 seconds. <g>

    --
    Janet Wilder
    way-the-heck-south Texas
    spelling doesn't count
    but cooking does

  17. #17
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily


    "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gsko23$l8l$[email protected]..
    > For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    > flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    > doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    > one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    > self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    > you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    > included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >
    > In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    > been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    > of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    > do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    > problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    > have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    > comes to $16.95. ****!



    That hardly seems like a lot to me. 10 pounds will last you a long time so
    spread the cost out ver several onths. If you go through 10 pounds in 6
    months that brings the monthly cost down to less than 3 bucks. If your
    budget is that tight, eliminate something every month that costs 3 bucks.
    My first guess would be you buy bottled water and soft drinks? Eliminate 1
    6 pack of soft drink a week and you have paid for your flour and then some.

    Paul



  18. #18
    Kate Connally Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:17:20 -0400, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    >> flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    >> doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    >> one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    >> self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    >> you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    >> included the postage. Not too bad a deal.

    >
    > You can try substituting cake and pastry flours available locally.
    > White Lilly runs about 8% protein and the self rising has 1 1/2 tsp
    > baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt per cup added.


    Well, that's what I was planning on, sort of, unless I can find
    another self-rising flour. I checked Walmart and they have 7
    self-rising flours, but only 3 near me. I guess I'll try them
    and see what I think.

    White Lily self-rising flour - not within 100 miles
    Southern Biscuit flour - not within 100 miles
    W-R self-rising flour - not within 100 miles
    Martha White self-rising flour - not within 100 miles
    Pillsbury Best self-rising flour - yes
    Gold Medal self-rising flour - yes
    Hudson Cream self-rising flour - yes

    Kate


    --
    Kate Connally
    If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
    Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    Until you bite their heads off.
    What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    mailto:[email protected]

  19. #19
    Kate Connally Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Kate Connally wrote:
    >> For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    >> flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    >> doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    >> one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    >> self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    >> you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    >> included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >>
    >> In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    >> been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    >> of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    >> do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    >> problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    >> have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    >> comes to $16.95. ****!
    >>
    >> So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    >> PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    >> PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    >> Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    >> (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    >> not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    >> future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    >> a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    >> DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >>
    >> My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    >> That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    >> Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >>
    >> Kate, very disgruntled

    >
    > You scared me for a minute there; I thought you meant White Lily was
    > gone forever.
    >
    > Can you get Martha White self rising flour? "...the one all purpose
    > flour. Martha White's self rising flour's got Hot Rise" (sorry about
    > that.) It's about as good as WL.


    My Walmart carries Martha White but not the self-rising.

    > Actually you should be able to
    > substitute any brand of SR flour because they are all made with softer
    > wheat than all purpose flour.


    Actually, not all self-rising flours are soft wheat flours.
    Even White Lily makes a self-rising bread flour. And I've seen
    others that say "self-rising all-purpose".

    > I just bought a bag of Cub Foods self-rising flour because it's the only
    > brand I could find. Don't know how well it works yet. Gonna try using
    > it for making waffles: 1 cup milk, 1 egg, some oil or melted unslated
    > butter (haven't figured out how much yet), and enough SF flour until the
    > batter looks right.


    Good luck with that. I've found out that I can get Pillsbury, Gold
    Medal, and Hudson Cream self-rising flours here so I'm going to try
    them.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally
    If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
    Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    Until you bite their heads off.
    What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    mailto:[email protected]

  20. #20
    Kate Connally Guest

    Default Re: Farewell, White Lily - with recipe!

    maxine wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 11:17 am, Kate Connally <conna...@pitt.edu> wrote:
    >> For many years I have been buying White Lily self-rising
    >> flour by mail directly from the White Lily Co. I started
    >> doing this when I found a biscuit recipe that swore to be
    >> one of the best biscuits ever and it called for White Lily
    >> self-rising flour. So I contacted the company and found out
    >> you could mail order it. It was $5 for a 5 lb. bag. That
    >> included the postage. Not too bad a deal.
    >>
    >> In the last few years I haven't been buy it because I haven't
    >> been cooking as much. So it's been a while. I was thinking
    >> of them today and decided to see if they had a web site (they
    >> do) and if you can buy their products online (you can). The
    >> problem is that they've been bought out by Smuckers. Now you
    >> have to buy 2 bags at a time for $10, PLUS shipping. Total
    >> comes to $16.95. ****!
    >>
    >> So, now I'm in search of a local equivalent. Since I live in
    >> PA I can't buy White Lily locally because they don't sell it in
    >> PA. They sell it in the bordering states of OH, WV, and VA.
    >> Damn! And probably not close to the borders with PA either.
    >> (I checked Cleveland cause I go there sometimes, but no, they're
    >> not in Cleveland. I might go to WV camping sometime in the
    >> future so I might be able to buy it there but that's at least
    >> a year off. Might could ask my daughter to bring me some from
    >> DC area, but no, they're not there either. Double damn!
    >>
    >> My sausage gravy and biscuits will never be the same!!!!!
    >> That is about the only time I make biscuits and the White
    >> Lily flour biscuits were the best. I loved them. Triple damn!!!!!
    >>
    >> Kate, very disgruntled

    >
    > Phew! I just found a bag of white Lily in my local discount place, and
    > bought it for the light cake baking I like to do. It was probably
    > there because Smuckers is clearing out the old stuff from the shelves
    > (the date is a good year away)
    >
    > Share your biscuit recipe? Dh likes them, and mine have always been
    > lead sinkers.
    >
    > maxine in ri


    Here it is. I think I got it out of a cooking magazine
    but can't remember which one. I've been using this for
    at least 25 years. At first I used lard but I was not too
    happy with the quality of lard you can buy so switcher to
    Crisco. I like this recipe because they are not rolled out
    and cut. I like the rough, irregular surface and you get nice
    crunchy bits where parts of the dough stick out and get more
    browned. I have no idea who Sheron is. ;-) I remember there
    were photos of her making the biscuits in the magazine but that
    article is long gone.

    SHERONS BISCUITS

    4 c. White Lily self-rising flour
    c. lard
    1-2 c. buttermilk
    bacon grease

    Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a baking sheet with bacon grease. Sift
    flour into a mixing bowl. Work in lard with fingers until crumbly.
    Make a well in center of flour and work in buttermilk a little at a time
    until a wet dough is formed. Try to work dough as little as possible.
    De-gunk fingers. Sift a thin layer of flour over dough. Scoop up a
    blob of dough and work it into a biscuit shape bouncing dough lightly
    from palm to palm. Plop it down on baking sheet. Biscuits should be
    from 2"-3" in diameter and fairly thick. Repeat until dough is used up,
    sifting more flour on top if necessary. Biscuits should have sides
    touching. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe
    makes 12 large biscuits.

    Kate's notes: I dont usually bother greasing sheet. There is enough
    loose flour coating the biscuits that it isnt necessary. I usually use
    Crisco instead of lard. One of these days Im going to try rendering my
    own pork fat and try using that. The lard you buy is not that great.
    You can substitute plain cake flour for the self-rising flour and add an
    appropriate quantity of salt and leavening. Consult a similar biscuit
    recipe for the proportion of salt and leavening to flour.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally
    If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
    Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
    Until you bite their heads off.
    What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
    mailto:[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32