Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Ever get sick of a food?

  1. #1
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Ever get sick of a food?

    I used to eat a lot of pasta and then after I got married, I didn't eat it
    very often. Yes, I married an Italian but apparently pasta was served quite
    often in his house and for the most part he just didn't like it. He does
    like a shrimp dish that contains a ton of garlic. His mom always made it
    for Christmas dinner. I don't have her actual recipe but I know what she
    put in it. It appears to be some form of shrimp scampi, perhaps with her
    own twist. He would like it better the second day after the garlic had
    invaded it all and he would eat it cold.

    Last year it got to the point where my daughter and I were eating pasta at
    least once a week. Partly because she loves it and partly because once a
    week prior to dance we had to eat a quick meal and this served the purpose.

    I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from wheat.
    But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the rice pasta which
    is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very much. And I got burned
    out on it to the point where I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I just
    didn't serve pasta unless she specifically asked for it. And I let my
    usually somewhat large stock of pasta run down to not much. But then I
    found some corn spaghetti on clearance at one of the grocery stores.

    Tonight my daughter wanted spaghetti. So I made the corn spaghetti. And it
    was really good! I guess laying off the pasta for so long finally brought
    my taste buds back. Either that or it was the corn pasta. Old Spaghetti
    Factory used to serve corn pasta for their GF pasta but now they serve rice.



  2. #2
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    haven't ever had corn pasta which is lowr carb rice or corn? Lee
    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j086m5$5i6$[email protected]..
    >I used to eat a lot of pasta and then after I got married, I didn't eat it
    >very often. Yes, I married an Italian but apparently pasta was served
    >quite often in his house and for the most part he just didn't like it. He
    >does like a shrimp dish that contains a ton of garlic. His mom always made
    >it for Christmas dinner. I don't have her actual recipe but I know what
    >she put in it. It appears to be some form of shrimp scampi, perhaps with
    >her own twist. He would like it better the second day after the garlic had
    >invaded it all and he would eat it cold.
    >
    > Last year it got to the point where my daughter and I were eating pasta at
    > least once a week. Partly because she loves it and partly because once a
    > week prior to dance we had to eat a quick meal and this served the
    > purpose.
    >
    > I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from wheat.
    > But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the rice pasta which
    > is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very much. And I got
    > burned out on it to the point where I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I
    > just didn't serve pasta unless she specifically asked for it. And I let
    > my usually somewhat large stock of pasta run down to not much. But then I
    > found some corn spaghetti on clearance at one of the grocery stores.
    >
    > Tonight my daughter wanted spaghetti. So I made the corn spaghetti. And
    > it was really good! I guess laying off the pasta for so long finally
    > brought my taste buds back. Either that or it was the corn pasta. Old
    > Spaghetti Factory used to serve corn pasta for their GF pasta but now they
    > serve rice.
    >




  3. #3
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?


    "Storrmmee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > haven't ever had corn pasta which is lowr carb rice or corn? Lee


    I think they're both about the same. Corn probably has higher fiber than
    white rice but we normally eat the brown rice and I think those are about
    the same.



  4. #4
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    thanks, Lee
    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j08akr$mg8$[email protected]..
    >
    > "Storrmmee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> haven't ever had corn pasta which is lowr carb rice or corn? Lee

    >
    > I think they're both about the same. Corn probably has higher fiber than
    > white rice but we normally eat the brown rice and I think those are about
    > the same.
    >




  5. #5
    Nad R Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Storrmmee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> haven't ever had corn pasta which is lowr carb rice or corn? Lee

    >
    > I think they're both about the same. Corn probably has higher fiber than
    > white rice but we normally eat the brown rice and I think those are about
    > the same.


    Corn pasta taste better than wheat or rice base pastas.

    --
    Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

  6. #6
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?



    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j086m5$5i6$[email protected]..
    > I used to eat a lot of pasta and then after I got married, I didn't eat it
    > very often. Yes, I married an Italian but apparently pasta was served
    > quite often in his house and for the most part he just didn't like it. He
    > does like a shrimp dish that contains a ton of garlic. His mom always
    > made it for Christmas dinner. I don't have her actual recipe but I know
    > what she put in it. It appears to be some form of shrimp scampi, perhaps
    > with her own twist. He would like it better the second day after the
    > garlic had invaded it all and he would eat it cold.
    >
    > Last year it got to the point where my daughter and I were eating pasta at
    > least once a week. Partly because she loves it and partly because once a
    > week prior to dance we had to eat a quick meal and this served the
    > purpose.
    >
    > I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from wheat.
    > But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the rice pasta which
    > is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very much. And I got
    > burned out on it to the point where I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I
    > just didn't serve pasta unless she specifically asked for it. And I let
    > my usually somewhat large stock of pasta run down to not much. But then I
    > found some corn spaghetti on clearance at one of the grocery stores.
    >
    > Tonight my daughter wanted spaghetti. So I made the corn spaghetti. And
    > it was really good! I guess laying off the pasta for so long finally
    > brought my taste buds back. Either that or it was the corn pasta. Old
    > Spaghetti Factory used to serve corn pasta for their GF pasta but now they
    > serve rice.


    Good to have found something you all enjoy


  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?


    "Nad R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j08rkh$ahm$[email protected]..
    > "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> "Storrmmee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> haven't ever had corn pasta which is lowr carb rice or corn? Lee

    >>
    >> I think they're both about the same. Corn probably has higher fiber than
    >> white rice but we normally eat the brown rice and I think those are about
    >> the same.

    >
    > Corn pasta taste better than wheat or rice base pastas.


    That could be!



  8. #8
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    On Jul 20, 11:33*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

    ...

    > I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from wheat.
    > But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the rice pasta which
    > is really bland. *I guess I just don't like it very much. *...


    Have you tried quinoa pasta? Better is on the tongue of the taster,
    but I can assure you that it's different from rice pasta. Thicker
    shapes like elbows and shells have firmer textures with both quinoa
    and rice.

    I use rice noodles for pad thai. They form a solid glob if I cook them
    like wheat noodles. Instead, I soak them in two changes of hot water
    off the stove. They're OK with some sauces. I haven't tried tomato.

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

  9. #9
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    On Jul 21, 5:30*am, Nad R <n...@positivegogetter.cooldude> wrote:

    ...

    > Corn pasta taste better than wheat or rice base pastas.


    Has anyone tried using masa harina in a pasta machine?

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

  10. #10
    I'll Always Be 21/07/11 Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    In article <j086m5$5i6$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I used to eat a lot of pasta and then after I got married, I didn't eat it
    > very often. Yes, I married an Italian but apparently pasta was served quite
    > often in his house and for the most part he just didn't like it. He does
    > like a shrimp dish that contains a ton of garlic. His mom always made it
    > for Christmas dinner. I don't have her actual recipe but I know what she
    > put in it. It appears to be some form of shrimp scampi, perhaps with her
    > own twist. He would like it better the second day after the garlic had
    > invaded it all and he would eat it cold.
    >
    > Last year it got to the point where my daughter and I were eating pasta at
    > least once a week. Partly because she loves it and partly because once a
    > week prior to dance we had to eat a quick meal and this served the purpose.
    >
    > I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from wheat.
    > But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the rice pasta which
    > is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very much. And I got burned
    > out on it to the point where I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I just
    > didn't serve pasta unless she specifically asked for it. And I let my
    > usually somewhat large stock of pasta run down to not much. But then I
    > found some corn spaghetti on clearance at one of the grocery stores.
    >
    > Tonight my daughter wanted spaghetti. So I made the corn spaghetti. And it
    > was really good! I guess laying off the pasta for so long finally brought
    > my taste buds back. Either that or it was the corn pasta. Old Spaghetti
    > Factory used to serve corn pasta for their GF pasta but now they serve rice.


    and here I thought you were carb conscious and that was the reason you didn't do
    pasta

  11. #11
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    Jerry Avins wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 11:33 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >
    > ...
    >
    >> I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from
    >> wheat. But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the
    >> rice pasta which is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very
    >> much. ...

    >
    > Have you tried quinoa pasta? Better is on the tongue of the taster,
    > but I can assure you that it's different from rice pasta. Thicker
    > shapes like elbows and shells have firmer textures with both quinoa
    > and rice.
    >


    Yes. I use it for pasta salad.
    >
    >
    > I use rice noodles for pad thai. They form a solid glob if I cook them
    > like wheat noodles. Instead, I soak them in two changes of hot water
    > off the stove. They're OK with some sauces. I haven't tried tomato.


    I don't like those noodles. I have tried them.



  12. #12
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    I'll Always Be 21/07/11 wrote:
    > In article <j086m5$5i6$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I used to eat a lot of pasta and then after I got married, I didn't
    >> eat it very often. Yes, I married an Italian but apparently pasta
    >> was served quite often in his house and for the most part he just
    >> didn't like it. He does like a shrimp dish that contains a ton of
    >> garlic. His mom always made it for Christmas dinner. I don't have
    >> her actual recipe but I know what she put in it. It appears to be
    >> some form of shrimp scampi, perhaps with her own twist. He would
    >> like it better the second day after the garlic had invaded it all
    >> and he would eat it cold.
    >>
    >> Last year it got to the point where my daughter and I were eating
    >> pasta at least once a week. Partly because she loves it and partly
    >> because once a week prior to dance we had to eat a quick meal and
    >> this served the purpose.
    >>
    >> I do think I liked pasta more when I could eat the stuff made from
    >> wheat. But since we realized her wheat allergy, I mostly get the
    >> rice pasta which is really bland. I guess I just don't like it very
    >> much. And I got burned out on it to the point where I couldn't
    >> bring myself to eat it. I just didn't serve pasta unless she
    >> specifically asked for it. And I let my usually somewhat large
    >> stock of pasta run down to not much. But then I found some corn
    >> spaghetti on clearance at one of the grocery stores.
    >>
    >> Tonight my daughter wanted spaghetti. So I made the corn spaghetti.
    >> And it was really good! I guess laying off the pasta for so long
    >> finally brought my taste buds back. Either that or it was the corn
    >> pasta. Old Spaghetti Factory used to serve corn pasta for their GF
    >> pasta but now they serve rice.

    >
    > and here I thought you were carb conscious and that was the reason
    > you didn't do pasta


    I am carb consciousl



  13. #13
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    In article <j0a46n$mfn$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > > and here I thought you were carb conscious and that was the reason
    > > you didn't do pasta

    >
    > I am carb consciousl


    my bad. I reckoned that carb conscious meant avoiding obvious carbs

  14. #14
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
    > In article <j0a46n$mfn$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> and here I thought you were carb conscious and that was the reason
    >>> you didn't do pasta

    >>
    >> I am carb consciousl

    >
    > my bad. I reckoned that carb conscious meant avoiding obvious carbs


    Dat you again, Jimmy Postal?



  15. #15
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    When I was a kid, we ate a lot of macaroni and cheese... made with gov't
    surplus. I swore that when I grew up I would never eat it again and for
    years, I didn't.

    Now, we don't have it too often, but it is one of my favorite side dishes.

    George L

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    George Leppla <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >When I was a kid, we ate a lot of macaroni and cheese... made with gov't
    >surplus. I swore that when I grew up I would never eat it again and for
    >years, I didn't.
    >
    >Now, we don't have it too often, but it is one of my favorite side dishes.



    Mac n'cheese was something my mom never made, and the few times my
    friends moms served it I didn't like it. I still don't like mac n'
    cheese. My mom's favorite pasta dish to serve was noodle kugel, I
    still prefer kugel, hot or cold. I don't understand the attraction to
    elbow macaroni and cheese, especially cheddar. I don't like cheddar
    cheese, no way no how.

  17. #17
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > George Leppla <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> When I was a kid, we ate a lot of macaroni and cheese... made with
    >> gov't surplus. I swore that when I grew up I would never eat it
    >> again and for years, I didn't.
    >>
    >> Now, we don't have it too often, but it is one of my favorite side
    >> dishes.

    >
    >
    > Mac n'cheese was something my mom never made, and the few times my
    > friends moms served it I didn't like it. I still don't like mac n'
    > cheese. My mom's favorite pasta dish to serve was noodle kugel, I
    > still prefer kugel, hot or cold. I don't understand the attraction to
    > elbow macaroni and cheese, especially cheddar. I don't like cheddar
    > cheese, no way no how.


    I love cheddar!



  18. #18
    Zara M Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?


    I can eat pasta everyday provided that it has different sauce. I'm not
    really after the type of pasta used, maybe the shapes and sizes would
    matter. The only pasta that I don't like is made from wheat because it
    somehow affects the taste even if I put too much sauce on it. I haven't
    tried corn pasta, where can I get those by the way?




    --
    Zara M

  19. #19
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?


    "Zara M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > I can eat pasta everyday provided that it has different sauce. I'm not
    > really after the type of pasta used, maybe the shapes and sizes would
    > matter. The only pasta that I don't like is made from wheat because it
    > somehow affects the taste even if I put too much sauce on it. I haven't
    > tried corn pasta, where can I get those by the way?


    Here you can get it at most grocery stores. If you can't find it there try
    a health food store or a gluten free store.



  20. #20
    I'm back. Guest

    Default Re: Ever get sick of a food?

    At the moment, I'm a bit retricted as to what foods I can eat. Funnily
    enough, I don't have a problem with chocolate, ice creams (especially
    chocolate coated icecreams!!) potato chips, frozen/oven fried Yum Cha
    thingies etc, which I eat quite a lot of. Breakfast and brunch is usually a
    small amount of baked beans with a soft fried egg chopped up in it.

    And I'm still slowly losing weight :-/


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Hobart
    Tasmania

    Nothing ever truely dies
    the Universe wastes nothing
    everything is simply... transformed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32