Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Egg Nog

  1. #1
    aem Guest

    Default Egg Nog

    Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    What say you?

    For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/

  2. #2
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    aem wrote:
    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?


    I was never a huge eggnog fan growing up. Now I adore SilkNog and look
    forward to it coming back seasonally. The addition of a shot of Bailey's
    Irish makes it all the better. Yum!!

  3. #3
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On 08/12/2010 5:52 PM, aem wrote:
    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?
    >
    > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    > http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/


    I always preferred home made, even when the commercially made stuff was
    much better than it is now. I have not bought any for years because it
    has been disappointing for many years. It is way too sweet and
    artificially thickened.

  4. #4
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On 12/8/2010 5:52 PM, aem wrote:
    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?
    >
    > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    > http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/


    I like both.

    --
    Currently reading: It's finals, what do you think I'm reading?

  5. #5
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:52:40 -0800 (PST), aem <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >What say you?
    >
    >For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    >from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    >http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/


    That's pretty much how I make them- but I leave out the allspice and
    am likely to just use whole milk. Surprised they don't worry about
    the raw eggs.

    The store bought ones taste like chemical to me. The rest of my
    family likes the store bought so I make my nog in a cocktail shaker.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Default User Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?


    I'll confess that I've never been moved to make it, although I read the
    recipe in The Joy of Cooking. The store-bought stuff is ok, with a healthy
    shot of rum and some fresh nutmeg in it.



    Brian
    --
    Day 672 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
    Current music playing: None.



  7. #7
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:30:27 -0600, "Default User"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >> like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >> given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >> What say you?

    >
    >I'll confess that I've never been moved to make it, although I read the
    >recipe in The Joy of Cooking. The store-bought stuff is ok, with a healthy
    >shot of rum and some fresh nutmeg in it.


    I made some years and years ago...it was heavenly. However it is a
    fair amount of work, at least when I made it then.

    I don't buy commercial eggnog these days unless it doesn't have HFCS
    in it. Most do..so I go without. And most are too sickly sweet for
    my tastes, but once in a long while I do succumb. And I like a splash
    of dark rum in it, when I do indulge.

    Has anyone ever had or made Michael Ruhlman's version of eggnog?
    http://blog.ruhlman.com/2008/12/happy-new-year.html

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    aem <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >What say you?


    I'll choose store bought every time, and it had better still be
    unopened... my reason revolves around cleanliness and food handling
    safety. I won't drink your booze unless I see you pop the seal... and
    I have very good reason.

  9. #9
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:

    -snip-
    >
    >I don't buy commercial eggnog these days unless it doesn't have HFCS
    >in it. Most do..so I go without. And most are too sickly sweet for
    >my tastes, but once in a long while I do succumb. And I like a splash
    >of dark rum in it, when I do indulge.
    >
    >Has anyone ever had or made Michael Ruhlman's version of eggnog?
    >http://blog.ruhlman.com/2008/12/happy-new-year.html
    >


    Not yet-- but bring this up again in 3 weeks & I'll tell you how it
    is.<G> Thanks for the link.

    The recipe is here-
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog
    [read the other link first so you know they are talking about 2 year
    old egg nog]

    They also say on this page,linked from the one you posted
    http://www.chow.com/food-news/53619/old-but-not-lethal/
    "The FDA doesn't’recommend consuming unpasteurized raw eggs under any
    circumstances, but Beattie says that in wine, concentrations of
    alcohol as low as 8 percent are high enough to kill problematic
    bacteria that may be present. There haven’t been any similar studies
    done on alcohol in eggs or milk, but our recipe is more than 20
    percent alcohol."

    Good to know-- I always thought I was fooling myself, but enjoyed the
    dangerous pleasure of raw eggs anyway.

    This one gets built tomorrow. Will be ready Dec 30--
    Jim

  10. #10
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On 2010-12-08, aem <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    > http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/


    Basically the same recipe I learned when I was about 9-10 yrs old,
    minus the cream, nutmeg, and allspice. I learned it from the Betty
    Crocker Kids Cookbook, which my mom bought for me, no doubt to
    encourage me to learn cooking as she was a working single mom.

    I guess that lack of cream, no doubt to make it easier for kids, is
    why I don't like the syrupy thickness of today's commercial eggnogs.
    I also had a Pyrex combo mixer/measuring cup. The mixer was a classic
    hand cranked dual bladed ballon whip style and fit the Pyrex 4 cup
    glass measuring cup by design, the skirt of the mixer acting as a full
    lid to the container. The recipe called for adding all ingredients at
    one time and ...well.... mixing, till frothy!

    I think if you jes use CIAs recipe with whole eggs, mixing the eggs
    before adding the rest, it will not turn out too much different than
    the "whip egg whites separately" method. It was interesting to see
    egg whites will whip with an immersion blender.

    nb

  11. #11
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Wed 08 Dec 2010 03:52:40p, aem told us...

    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?
    >
    > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > from Culinary Institute of America. -aem
    > http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/
    >


    I have made homemade eggnog countless times, but I still have an
    affinity for good quality comercial eggnog. I agree that it's probably
    a texture thing.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  12. #12
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    aem <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?


    Homemade. Absolutely. I hated eggnog until I had it homemade. It
    was gummy and nasty.

    I use this recipe (using about a cup of sugar and two cups of whole
    milk):

    <http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/200...christmas-week
    ..html#eggnog>

    GRACE¹S EGGNOG
    I got this recipe from a friend on the internets. We make a double batch
    and watch it go. Using fresh nutmeg is a must. This is especially good
    with some kahlua.

    3 pints Half-n-Half
    1 pint whipping cream
    1 1/2 dozen eggs (or the equivalent of Egg Beaters egg substitute)
    1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1 1/2 cup sugar (varies to taste)
    2 cups vanilla ice cream
    1 to 2 cups milk
    1/2 tsp. salt

    Beat eggs very thoroughly. Half pint of the whipping cream is whipped.
    Combine all ingredients and blend well. Shake before serving.


    However, I am interested in trying one of these two recipes to
    compare:


    <http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/...ipes-incredibl
    y-yummy-homemade-egg-nog.html>

    <http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/2010/12/07/recipe-eggnog/>

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    itsjoannotjoann Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Dec 8, 5:05*pm, ravenlynne <ravenly...@somecraphere.com> wrote:
    > On 12/8/2010 5:52 PM, aem wrote:
    >
    > > Our friends divide into two camps: *some like homemade egg nog, some
    > > like storebought egg nog. *Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > > What say you?

    >
    > > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > > from Culinary Institute of America. * *-aem
    > >http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/...o-make-eggnog/

    >
    > I like both.
    >
    >

    Me too!

  14. #14
    Paco Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog



    "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > aem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >>like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >>given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >>What say you?

    >
    > I'll choose store bought every time, and it had better still be
    > unopened... my reason revolves around cleanliness and food handling
    > safety. I won't drink your booze unless I see you pop the seal... and
    > I have very good reason.


    So... did "neighbor Mark" have to crack open a new bottle for your scotch on
    the rocks after you carved and reconstructed his turkey this past
    Thanksgiving Day?




  15. #15
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > aem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >> like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >> given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >> What say you?

    >
    > Homemade. Absolutely. I hated eggnog until I had it homemade. It
    > was gummy and nasty.
    >


    I disliked it until trying SilkNog. It was lighter yet delicious!

  16. #16
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Dec 8, 5:52*pm, aem <aem_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Our friends divide into two camps: *some like homemade egg nog, some
    > like storebought egg nog. *Clear preference by each side, reasons
    > given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    > What say you?
    >
    > For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    > from Culinary Institute of America. * *-aemhttp://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/12/how-to-make-eggnog/


    Homemade, or good quality store-bought thinned with
    extra milk. It's all good. And a shot of booze in it
    never hurts.

    Cindy Hamilton

  17. #17
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    Cindy Hamilton <[email protected]> wrote:

    -snip-
    >
    >Homemade, or good quality store-bought thinned with
    >extra milk. It's all good. And a shot of booze in it
    >never hurts.
    >


    Hehe-- "a shot of booze"?

    Might I note that the recipe for the one Christine asked about & I'm
    making later today is a potent one.

    http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog
    Roughly- to a dozen eggs and almost a 1/2 gallon of milk & cream, it
    calls for 1 liter of Bourbon, 1/2 cup Rum & 1/2-1 cups "good cognac".

    This spends at least 3 weeks mellowing in the frig- and as much as
    2years. The recipe calls for the whipped whites and whipped cream to
    be added at time of serving- but the author drinks it sans whites and
    cream on the rocks.

    I'll let you know by New Years eve.<g> [I'm making 2 different
    recipes to see if I can simplify serving time by using whole eggs and
    adding all of the cream at the beginning.
    http://www.adashofbitters.com/2009/1...g-safe-or-not/ ]

    Jim

  18. #18
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:20:03 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Dec 8, 5:52*pm, aem <aem_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Our friends divide into two camps: *some like homemade egg nog, some
    >> like storebought egg nog. *Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >> given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >> What say you?
    >>
    >> For those who like homemade (or haven't tried it), here's the recipe
    >> from Culinary Institute of America. * *-aemhttp://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/11/12/how-to-make-eggnog/

    >
    >Homemade, or good quality store-bought thinned with
    >extra milk. It's all good. And a shot of booze in it
    >never hurts.


    I see no point to egg nog without booze... sans booze there's no nog.

  19. #19
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:06:04 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    > aem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >>like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >>given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >>What say you?

    >
    > I'll choose store bought every time, and it had better still be
    > unopened... my reason revolves around cleanliness and food handling
    > safety. I won't drink your booze unless I see you pop the seal... and
    > I have very good reason.


    friutcake.

    blake

  20. #20
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Egg Nog

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 23:07:12 -0500, Paco wrote:

    > "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> aem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Our friends divide into two camps: some like homemade egg nog, some
    >>>like storebought egg nog. Clear preference by each side, reasons
    >>>given on both sides usually revolve around texture more than taste.
    >>>What say you?

    >>
    >> I'll choose store bought every time, and it had better still be
    >> unopened... my reason revolves around cleanliness and food handling
    >> safety. I won't drink your booze unless I see you pop the seal... and
    >> I have very good reason.

    >
    > So... did "neighbor Mark" have to crack open a new bottle for your scotch on
    > the rocks after you carved and reconstructed his turkey this past
    > Thanksgiving Day?
    >


    sheldon drinks only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain
    alcohol.

    your pal,
    mandrake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32