Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

  1. #1
    Bryan-TGWWW Guest

    Default Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.

    --Bryan O|O

  2. #2
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    >
    > I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.


    Fresh sliced tomatoes also benifit from a semi-drying in the oven
    first if you plan to use them on a pizza.

    G.

  3. #3
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    > I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, and Idried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour beforeusing them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.
    >


    I just saute them briefly in a little butter to sweat them. Same with onions and bell peppers.

    Do you like the taste of canned black olives?

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:28:46 -0700 (PDT), [email protected]
    wrote:

    > Do you like the taste of canned black olives?


    I do, but I like olives in general. The only thing I don't like is
    the pit, so I buy them pitted. Problem solved.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  5. #5
    John J Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, and I
    >dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour before
    >using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olives
    >should also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my
    >screen name too.


    I love pizza with olives and changed screen name.

    --
    John

  6. #6
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    >> I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza,
    >> and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an
    >> hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that
    >> canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly
    >> for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.
    >>

    >
    > I just saute them briefly in a little butter to sweat them. Same with
    > onions and bell peppers.
    >
    > Do you like the taste of canned black olives?


    Put the mushrooms on top of the pizza and when they water out, it will
    evaporate. No need to precook unless you like to cover the toppings with
    cheese, and then it's a good idea. Canned black olives don't need special
    treatment but they always end up on top in my favorite pizza, which has
    Italian sausage (precooked), roasted red peppers (need to be on top like
    mushrooms), sliced mushrooms (I prefer to slice them myself), and black
    olives. If I have sliced smoked sundried tomatoes, I use some of that too.
    Cheeses are likely to be mozarella plus some combination of asiago,
    provolone, pecorino romano, and parmesano reggiano.

    One thing I like about this pizza is that I almost always have the
    necessary ingredients on hand.

    MartyB


  7. #7
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:04:39 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    >>> I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza,
    >>> and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an
    >>> hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that
    >>> canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly
    >>> for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I just saute them briefly in a little butter to sweat them. Same with
    >> onions and bell peppers.
    >>
    >> Do you like the taste of canned black olives?

    >
    >Put the mushrooms on top of the pizza and when they water out, it will
    >evaporate. No need to precook unless you like to cover the toppings with
    >cheese, and then it's a good idea. Canned black olives don't need special
    >treatment but they always end up on top in my favorite pizza, which has
    >Italian sausage (precooked), roasted red peppers (need to be on top like
    >mushrooms), sliced mushrooms (I prefer to slice them myself), and black
    >olives. If I have sliced smoked sundried tomatoes, I use some of that too.
    >Cheeses are likely to be mozarella plus some combination of asiago,
    >provolone, pecorino romano, and parmesano reggiano.
    >
    > One thing I like about this pizza is that I almost always have the
    >necessary ingredients on hand.
    >
    >MartyB


    I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.

  8. #8
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.
    >
    >--Bryan O|O


    Put the sauce and cheese on the pizza first then meats, then veggies.
    The veggies will dry out as they cook. At least, that is my approach
    because I want fresh veggies on my pizza. The more stuff you crowd
    onto a pizza, the more difficult it is for the crust to cook and the
    veggies to cook without making a puddle..
    Janet US

  9. #9
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.


    Well, if you read my posts, you'll know that I love broccoli pizza.
    Most times I make pizza, it has broccoli on it. I make a tomato red
    sauce and add broccoli but sometime I also like "white pizza" with
    broccoli, garlic and olive oil....some onions too.

    A white broccoli pizza is on my menu to make very soon.
    And homemade crust too...no crappy store-bought crust.

    G.

  10. #10
    Bryan-TGWWW Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:28:46 AM UTC-5, spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    >
    > > I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza, andI dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that canned black olivesshould also be dried first, though not nearly for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.

    >
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    > I just saute them briefly in a little butter to sweat them. Same with onions and bell peppers.
    >
    >
    >
    > Do you like the taste of canned black olives?


    Thinking about that, I'd have to answer, "A little." Really, I can't ever
    see buying them again. I have delicious Turkish olives in the fridge,
    and they're very easy to pit and slice. Until maybe a year ago, I did used
    to use canned. Now that I no longer overeat, I'm a lot more selective
    about what I eat.

    --Bryan O|O

  11. #11
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    Gary wrote:
    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.

    >
    >Well, if you read my posts, you'll know that I love broccoli pizza.
    >Most times I make pizza, it has broccoli on it. I make a tomato red
    >sauce and add broccoli but sometime I also like "white pizza" with
    >broccoli, garlic and olive oil....some onions too.
    >
    >A white broccoli pizza is on my menu to make very soon.
    >And homemade crust too...no crappy store-bought crust.


    I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza is
    excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when I get
    the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out anymore either,
    it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart yesterday, I bought
    three frozen Freschettas for the price of one pizzaria pie.


  12. #12
    Bryan-TGWWW Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:27:29 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > Gary wrote:
    >
    > >Brooklyn1 wrote:

    >
    > >> I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >Well, if you read my posts, you'll know that I love broccoli pizza.

    >
    > >Most times I make pizza, it has broccoli on it. I make a tomato red

    >
    > >sauce and add broccoli but sometime I also like "white pizza" with

    >
    > >broccoli, garlic and olive oil....some onions too.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >A white broccoli pizza is on my menu to make very soon.

    >
    > >And homemade crust too...no crappy store-bought crust.

    >
    >
    >
    > I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    >
    > I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza is
    >
    > excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when I get
    >
    > the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out anymore either,
    >
    > it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart yesterday, I bought
    >
    > three frozen Freschettas for the price of one pizzaria pie.


    Those Freschettas are good, but way too carby. I buy the Palermo's Ultra
    Thin Crust. Way better than Dominoes, Pizza Hut, etc.

    --Bryan FREE KATE!

  13. #13
    casa contenta Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On 8/28/2013 7:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:04:39 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
    >>>> I got a carton of pre-sliced mushrooms yesterday to add to a pizza,
    >>>> and I dried them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200F for almost an
    >>>> hour before using them to top a pizza. It now occurs to me that
    >>>> canned black olives should also be dried first, though not nearly
    >>>> for as long. I'm changing my screen name too.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I just saute them briefly in a little butter to sweat them. Same with
    >>> onions and bell peppers.
    >>>
    >>> Do you like the taste of canned black olives?

    >>
    >> Put the mushrooms on top of the pizza and when they water out, it will
    >> evaporate. No need to precook unless you like to cover the toppings with
    >> cheese, and then it's a good idea. Canned black olives don't need special
    >> treatment but they always end up on top in my favorite pizza, which has
    >> Italian sausage (precooked), roasted red peppers (need to be on top like
    >> mushrooms), sliced mushrooms (I prefer to slice them myself), and black
    >> olives. If I have sliced smoked sundried tomatoes, I use some of that too.
    >> Cheeses are likely to be mozarella plus some combination of asiago,
    >> provolone, pecorino romano, and parmesano reggiano.
    >>
    >> One thing I like about this pizza is that I almost always have the
    >> necessary ingredients on hand.
    >>
    >> MartyB

    >
    > I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.
    >


    My heavens, that's a needlessly healthy thing to do to a poor
    defenseless pizza...

  14. #14
    casa contenta Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On 8/29/2013 12:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > Gary wrote:
    >> Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>> I cover my pizza with lots of frozen broccoli, needs no precooking.

    >>
    >> Well, if you read my posts, you'll know that I love broccoli pizza.
    >> Most times I make pizza, it has broccoli on it. I make a tomato red
    >> sauce and add broccoli but sometime I also like "white pizza" with
    >> broccoli, garlic and olive oil....some onions too.
    >>
    >> A white broccoli pizza is on my menu to make very soon.
    >> And homemade crust too...no crappy store-bought crust.

    >
    > I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    > I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza is
    > excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when I get
    > the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out anymore either,
    > it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart yesterday, I bought
    > three frozen Freschettas for the price of one pizzaria pie.
    >


    You're in New Yawk, the Valhalla of pizza, lose the cynicism, man!

  15. #15
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    > I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza is
    > excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when I get
    > the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out anymore either,
    > it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart yesterday, I bought
    > three frozen Freschettas for the price of one pizzaria pie.


    I'll sometimes "doctor" a frozen pizza with good results. I've never
    tried Fheschetta but I'll make a point to soon. I still like my
    homemade ones better with all the extra work that they entail. I just
    don't make them often enough.

    G.

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:54:38 -0400, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>
    >> I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    >> I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza is
    >> excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when I get
    >> the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out anymore either,
    >> it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart yesterday, I bought
    >> three frozen Freschettas for the price of one pizzaria pie.

    >
    >I'll sometimes "doctor" a frozen pizza with good results. I've never
    >tried Fheschetta but I'll make a point to soon. I still like my
    >homemade ones better with all the extra work that they entail. I just
    >don't make them often enough.


    Granted, a self made from scratch pizza can be very good, but can also
    turn out awful... and either way it's a lot of labor for just one
    pie... whereas frozen pies are pretty darn good, no labor, can be
    eating in under 40 minutes, and you can count on consistancy... and
    there are so many varieties it's difficult to choose, and all can be
    doctored, or not. I used to think frozen pies sucked, but no more,
    the premium brands are excellent.

  17. #17
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    Brooklyn1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:54:38 -0400, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I put the broccoli on a frozen Freschetta rising crust supreme. LOL
    >>> I no longer see the point to making ones own, today's frozen pizza
    >>> is excellent, it's inexpensive, ready within minutes no matter when
    >>> I get the urge, and no work at all. I won't order pizza out
    >>> anymore either, it's never worth the price. I shopped at Walmart
    >>> yesterday, I bought three frozen Freschettas for the price of one
    >>> pizzaria pie.

    >>
    >> I'll sometimes "doctor" a frozen pizza with good results. I've never
    >> tried Fheschetta but I'll make a point to soon. I still like my
    >> homemade ones better with all the extra work that they entail. I just
    >> don't make them often enough.

    >
    > Granted, a self made from scratch pizza can be very good, but can also
    > turn out awful... and either way it's a lot of labor for just one
    > pie... whereas frozen pies are pretty darn good, no labor, can be
    > eating in under 40 minutes, and you can count on consistancy... and
    > there are so many varieties it's difficult to choose, and all can be
    > doctored, or not. I used to think frozen pies sucked, but no more,
    > the premium brands are excellent.


    Do you have Papa Murphy's stores around there? They sell made to order
    unbaked pizzas, everything fresh on the spot. It's less expensive than a
    traditional pizzeria and you can cook it and have it hot whenever you're
    ready.

    Frozen pizzas can have a decent crust, but I've been disappointed in the
    toppings which often seem dried out and freezer burnt. Papa Murphy's is a
    good alternative.

    MartyB


  18. #18
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On 9/3/2013 4:43 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    > Do you have Papa Murphy's stores around there? They sell made to order
    > unbaked pizzas, everything fresh on the spot. It's less expensive than a
    > traditional pizzeria and you can cook it and have it hot whenever you're
    > ready.
    >
    > Frozen pizzas can have a decent crust, but I've been disappointed in the
    > toppings which often seem dried out and freezer burnt. Papa Murphy's is a
    > good alternative.



    Sam's Club makes a pretty good bake-at-home pizza and it is very
    inexpensive. They will also bake it there at no extra charge.

    Once in a while on a road trip we will stop at Sam's and pick one up for
    a cheap lunch in the car... or a cheap supper in the motel room.

    George L

  19. #19
    mixatorium Guest

    Default Re: Drying out mushrooms before adding them to a pizza

    On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:43:26 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > Papa Murphy's is a
    > good alternative.
    >
    > MartyB


    If you have the plebian taste buds of a chronic alcoholic smoker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32