Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

  1. #1
    sharon Guest

    Default Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    refrigerate after opening.

    Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?

  2. #2
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 18, 4:12*pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    Why take the chance?

    Fresh lemons are so much better anyway.

  3. #3
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?


    "sharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:hj2tb7$ddp$[email protected]..
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    It may develop mould. Not sure what bacteria would like to live in citric
    acid. Some yeasts would and I would suspect you'd get fermentation.

    Paul



  4. #4
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    sharon wrote:
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    The only way to know for sure is to perform cultures on the juice and
    see what sort of pathogens grow.
    Other than that, surely you can fit a bottle in the fridge in the meantime?

  5. #5
    Pits09 Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 19, 8:12*am, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    This smells slightly troll like
    In the event your not trolling

    what is your room temp ?
    We have left 99% pure lemon juice in vehicle in high temps for a
    couple of days
    and it did NOT go off Our lemon Juice in such Litre containers
    (Anchor)
    lasts about a week (marguitas and fish make a dent in it)
    So think your pretty safe

  6. #6
    the Odberg family Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 19, 1:12*pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    My experience has been that lemon juice is itself a protection against
    spoiling. I squeeze it on avocados, potatoes, apples, etc etc and they
    don't go brown or age. And on the times when I've unintentionally left
    it out of the fridge, even once when I was away from home for five
    days, it never spoiled.

    I think it has some sort of anti-aging chemical in it. Perhaps the
    "keep it in the fridge label" was required by law but not really
    necessary.

    Sue Odberg


  7. #7
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 19, 1:12*pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    It does not, however the lemon juice bottles now have a micro sensor
    that detects if an opened bottle is unrefrigerated, and if
    so sends a GPS encoded radio signal to Child Protective Services
    who will come out and accuse you of unsafe food handling practices,
    which is evidence of child endangerment and you go to jail.

    So, better keep it in the refrigerator.

    Steve

  8. #8
    the Odberg family Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 19, 6:21*pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 1:12*pm, sharon *<sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days andit
    > > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > > refrigerate after opening.

    >
    > > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?

    >
    > It does not, however the lemon juice bottles now have a micro sensor
    > that detects if an opened bottle is unrefrigerated, and if
    > so sends a GPS encoded radio signal to Child Protective Services
    > who will come out and accuse you of unsafe food handling practices,
    > which is evidence of child endangerment and you go to jail.
    >
    > So, better keep it in the refrigerator.
    >
    > Steve


    Heh heh heh! What a funny guy!

    Sue

  9. #9
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    the Odberg family wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 1:12 pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days
    >> and it doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which
    >> says to refrigerate after opening.
    >>
    >> Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month
    >> or so?

    >
    > My experience has been that lemon juice is itself a protection against
    > spoiling. I squeeze it on avocados, potatoes, apples, etc etc and they
    > don't go brown or age. And on the times when I've unintentionally left
    > it out of the fridge, even once when I was away from home for five
    > days, it never spoiled.
    >
    > I think it has some sort of anti-aging chemical in it. Perhaps the
    > "keep it in the fridge label" was required by law but not really
    > necessary.


    I see "keep refrigerated" on soy sauce bottles. It's getting to be like the
    California cancer warning.


  10. #10
    --Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 19, 7:28*am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
    > the Odberg family wrote:
    > > On Jan 19, 1:12 pm, sharon *<sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >> I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days
    > >> and it doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which
    > >> says to refrigerate after opening.

    >
    > >> Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month
    > >> or so?

    >
    > > My experience has been that lemon juice is itself a protection against
    > > spoiling. I squeeze it on avocados, potatoes, apples, etc etc and they
    > > don't go brown or age. And on the times when I've unintentionally left
    > > it out of the fridge, even once when I was away from home for five
    > > days, it never spoiled.

    >
    > > I think it has some sort of anti-aging chemical in it. Perhaps the
    > > "keep it in the fridge label" was required by law but not really
    > > necessary.

    >
    > I see "keep refrigerated" on soy sauce bottles. *It's getting to be like the
    > California cancer warning.


    I don't refrigerate soy sauce, but reconstituted lemon juice should be
    kept in the fridge, if kept at all.

    --Bryan

    np: Traffic, John Barleycorn Must Die

  11. #11
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    --Bryan wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 7:28 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
    >> the Odberg family wrote:
    >>> On Jan 19, 1:12 pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>> I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days
    >>>> and it doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which
    >>>> says to refrigerate after opening.

    >>
    >>>> Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month
    >>>> or so?

    >>
    >>> My experience has been that lemon juice is itself a protection
    >>> against spoiling. I squeeze it on avocados, potatoes, apples, etc
    >>> etc and they don't go brown or age. And on the times when I've
    >>> unintentionally left it out of the fridge, even once when I was
    >>> away from home for five days, it never spoiled.

    >>
    >>> I think it has some sort of anti-aging chemical in it. Perhaps the
    >>> "keep it in the fridge label" was required by law but not really
    >>> necessary.

    >>
    >> I see "keep refrigerated" on soy sauce bottles. It's getting to be
    >> like the California cancer warning.

    >
    > I don't refrigerate soy sauce, but reconstituted lemon juice should be
    > kept in the fridge, if kept at all.
    >
    > --Bryan


    The brand that comes frozen is actually good, and doesn't have that icky
    bottled juice flavor. I usually keep one on hand just in case. I'm blanking
    on the name, but it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle inside a cardboard
    box, and in our supermarkets can be found in the frozen juice section.




  12. #12
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    Janet wrote:

    > The brand that comes frozen is actually good, and doesn't have that icky
    > bottled juice flavor. I usually keep one on hand just in case. I'm blanking
    > on the name, but it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle inside a cardboard
    > box, and in our supermarkets can be found in the frozen juice section.
    >

    Minute Maid. Good stuff for making Splenda sweetened lemonaid. I keep it
    on hand by the multiple boxful for just this use.

  13. #13
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Jan 18, 6:12*pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I've often left opened lemon juice out of the refrigerator for days and it
    > doesn't seem to spoil but my kids read to me the label which says to
    > refrigerate after opening.
    >
    > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?


    It will get mold on it, sooner or later. Refrigerate it - lasts
    forever in the refrigerator.

    N.

  14. #14
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    the Odberg family <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Jan 19, 1:12*pm, sharon <sharon20...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Does lemon juice spoil or not outside the refrigerator for a month or so?

    >
    > My experience has been that lemon juice is itself a protection against
    > spoiling. I squeeze it on avocados, potatoes, apples, etc etc and they
    > don't go brown


    > Sue Odberg


    That's oxidation, not spoilage.

    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

  15. #15
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On 2010-01-19, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That's oxidation, not spoilage.


    It's spoilage in my book. I don't eat black potatoes or brown
    avacados.

    nb

  16. #16
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    Goomba wrote:
    > Janet wrote:
    >
    >> The brand that comes frozen is actually good, and doesn't have that
    >> icky bottled juice flavor. I usually keep one on hand just in case.
    >> I'm blanking on the name, but it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle
    >> inside a cardboard box, and in our supermarkets can be found in the
    >> frozen juice section.

    > Minute Maid. Good stuff for making Splenda sweetened lemonaid. I keep
    > it on hand by the multiple boxful for just this use.


    Yes, that's it. Just bought a fresh one for the freezer yesterday.




  17. #17
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:01:09 -0500, Goomba wrote:

    > Janet wrote:
    >
    >> The brand that comes frozen is actually good, and doesn't have that icky
    >> bottled juice flavor. I usually keep one on hand just in case. I'm blanking
    >> on the name, but it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle inside a cardboard
    >> box, and in our supermarkets can be found in the frozen juice section.
    >>

    > Minute Maid. Good stuff for making Splenda sweetened lemonaid. I keep it
    > on hand by the multiple boxful for just this use.


    there's a picture here:

    <http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_7216.html>

    two bucks at my grocery in maryland. juice of about seven lemons.

    your pal,
    blake

  18. #18
    Felice Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?


    > On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:01:09 -0500, Goomba wrote:
    >
    >> Janet wrote:
    >>
    >>> The brand that comes frozen is actually good, and doesn't have that icky
    >>> bottled juice flavor. I usually keep one on hand just in case. I'm
    >>> blanking
    >>> on the name, but it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle inside a cardboard
    >>> box, and in our supermarkets can be found in the frozen juice section.
    >>>

    >> Minute Maid. Good stuff for making Splenda sweetened lemonaid. I keep it
    >> on hand by the multiple boxful for just this use.


    Also good for whiskey sours. Freshly squeezed is first choice, of course,
    but this is as close as you're gonna get.

    Felice



  19. #19
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    In article <G%q5n.243$[email protected]>, notbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 2010-01-19, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > That's oxidation, not spoilage.

    >
    > It's spoilage in my book. I don't eat black potatoes or brown
    > avacados.
    >
    > nb


    When you dump lemon juice on your potatoes to keep them white, do you
    sprinkle, spray or drench? I find that just covering them with cold
    water keeps them from darkening. Discoloration doesn't automatically
    equal spoilage, you goof.

    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

  20. #20
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Does opened lemon juice spoil outside the refrigerator or not?

    blake murphy wrote:

    > two bucks at my grocery in maryland. juice of about seven lemons.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    $1.15 at the commissary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32