Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce issimmered for a few minutes?

  1. #1
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce issimmered for a few minutes?

    It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    with the sour cream in there. The reason is because I no longer used
    flour to thicken it. I just leave it as is without flour. I like it
    better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    cream.
    This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. The recipe is
    for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    Olympics Team. I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. Here
    is the relavent excerpt:
    {
    Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    respectively). Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    tender about 15 minutes more. Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    good simmer and remove from heat.
    }

  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:

    > It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > with the sour cream in there.


    The sour cream goes in it end and is simply heated until warm, not
    simmered. Why add flour to make it pastey? it shouldn't be cooking
    that long.

    -sw

  3. #3
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 11, 5:08*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
    >
    > > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > > with the sour cream in there.

    >
    > The sour cream goes in it end and is simply heated until warm, not
    > simmered. *Why add flour to make it pastey? *it shouldn't be cooking
    > that long.
    >
    > -sw


    A T. or two of flour in 8 oz. or 16 oz. of sour cream isn't even
    noticed. I don't think commercial sour cream breaks, anyway...I've
    always been able to simmer it, freeze it, etc., and it always stays
    like it should. OTOH, I always put a T. or so of flour in before
    tempering it with the hot broth....

    N.

  4. #4
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 11, 5:08*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
    >
    > > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > > with the sour cream in there.

    >
    > The sour cream goes in it end and is simply heated until warm, not
    > simmered. *Why add flour to make it pastey? *it shouldn't be cooking
    > that long.
    >
    > sw
    >
    >

    Agreed. I just put it in the last 2 or 3 minutes and it never
    'breaks.'


  5. #5
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 11, 4:27*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > with the sour cream in there. *The reason is because I no longer used
    > flour to thicken it. *I just leave it as is without flour. *I like it
    > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > cream.
    > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. *The recipe is
    > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > Olympics Team. *I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. *Here
    > is the relavent excerpt:
    > {
    > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > respectively). *Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > tender about 15 minutes more. *Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > good simmer and remove from heat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > }


    Are you letting the sour cream get to room temp before adding it? And
    add graaaadualy?

  6. #6
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 11, 4:27*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > with the sour cream in there. *The reason is because I no longer used
    > flour to thicken it. *I just leave it as is without flour. *I like it
    > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > cream.
    > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. *The recipe is
    > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > Olympics Team. *I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. *Here
    > is the relavent excerpt:
    > {
    > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > respectively). *Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > tender about 15 minutes more. *Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > good simmer and remove from heat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > }


    I wonder if fat-free sour cream makes a difference? Calling all
    cooking experts.........

  7. #7
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On 4/11/2012 10:27 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
    > It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > with the sour cream in there. The reason is because I no longer used
    > flour to thicken it. I just leave it as is without flour. I like it
    > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > cream.
    > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. The recipe is
    > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > Olympics Team. I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. Here
    > is the relavent excerpt:
    > {
    > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > respectively). Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > tender about 15 minutes more. Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > good simmer and remove from heat.
    > }


    I would add flour to thicken and add the sour cream last - no boiling.
    That's just me. The guys that make the dish are experts on how to do it
    but I'd still do it my way because I'm no expert. My guess is that
    you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    boil it. 7482

  8. #8
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 12, 1:54*pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 4:27*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > > with the sour cream in there. *The reason is because I no longer used
    > > flour to thicken it. *I just leave it as is without flour. *I like it
    > > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > > cream.
    > > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. *The recipe is
    > > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > > Olympics Team. *I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. *Here
    > > is the relavent excerpt:
    > > {
    > > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > > respectively). *Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > > tender about 15 minutes more. *Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > > good simmer and remove from heat.

    >
    > > }

    >
    > Are you letting the sour cream get to room temp before adding it? *And
    > add graaaadualy?


    It should be tempered with hot liquid before adding back into the main
    pot.

    N.

  9. #9
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On Apr 12, 3:58*pm, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
    > On 4/11/2012 10:27 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > > with the sour cream in there. *The reason is because I no longer used
    > > flour to thicken it. *I just leave it as is without flour. *I like it
    > > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > > cream.
    > > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. *The recipe is
    > > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > > Olympics Team. *I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. *Here
    > > is the relavent excerpt:
    > > {
    > > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > > respectively). *Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > > tender about 15 minutes more. *Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > > good simmer and remove from heat.
    > > }

    >
    > I would add flour to thicken and add the sour cream last - no boiling.
    > That's just me. The guys that make the dish are experts on how to do it
    > but I'd still do it my way because I'm no expert. My guess is that
    > you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    > boil it. 7482


    I've always simmered it with no problem.

    N.

  10. #10
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 4/11/2012 10:27 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
    >> It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    >> with the sour cream in there. The reason is because I no longer used
    >> flour to thicken it. I just leave it as is without flour. I like it
    >> better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    >> cream.
    >> This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. The recipe
    >> is for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    >> Olympics Team. I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    >> the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. Here
    >> is the relavent excerpt:
    >> {
    >> Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    >> respectively). Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    >> tender about 15 minutes more. Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    >> good simmer and remove from heat.
    >> }

    >
    > I would add flour to thicken and add the sour cream last - no boiling.
    > That's just me. The guys that make the dish are experts on how to do
    > it but I'd still do it my way because I'm no expert. My guess is that
    > you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    > boil it. 7482


    You've lost count. ;-)

    In key lime pie there is plenty of acid, sour cream, and sweetened condensed
    milk, but it doesn't curdle, However if overbaked, it gets grainy. It will
    almost set on it's own to a nice creamy texture due to the reaction of the
    dairy with the acid.

    MartyB



  11. #11
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 4:27 pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >> It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    >> with the sour cream in there. The reason is because I no longer used
    >> flour to thicken it. I just leave it as is without flour. I like it
    >> better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    >> cream.
    >> This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. The recipe is
    >> for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    >> Olympics Team. I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    >> the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. Here
    >> is the relavent excerpt:
    >> {
    >> Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    >> respectively). Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    >> tender about 15 minutes more. Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    >> good simmer and remove from heat.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> }

    >
    > I wonder if fat-free sour cream makes a difference? Calling all
    > cooking experts.........


    I refuse to use it because it's so weird. The addition of sugar as a
    substitute for the lost fat flavor causes problems. Last year, a grocery run
    went bad and I ended up with low fat sour cream for key lime pie. It sucked.

    I don't know how low fat and fat free sour creams affect breaking but I sure
    don't want sugar in my stroganoff. And I agree with the other comments where
    sour cream should be added late, tempered if going into very hot liquid, and
    flour is not necessary to make it incorporate.

    MartyB

    MartyB



  12. #12
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On 4/12/2012 11:00 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 3:58 pm, dsi1<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
    >> On 4/11/2012 10:27 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> It does. I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    >>> with the sour cream in there. The reason is because I no longer used
    >>> flour to thicken it. I just leave it as is without flour. I like it
    >>> better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    >>> cream.
    >>> This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. The recipe is
    >>> for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    >>> Olympics Team. I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    >>> the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. Here
    >>> is the relavent excerpt:
    >>> {
    >>> Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    >>> respectively). Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    >>> tender about 15 minutes more. Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    >>> good simmer and remove from heat.
    >>> }

    >>
    >> I would add flour to thicken and add the sour cream last - no boiling.
    >> That's just me. The guys that make the dish are experts on how to do it
    >> but I'd still do it my way because I'm no expert. My guess is that
    >> you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    >> boil it. 7482

    >
    > I've always simmered it with no problem.


    As it goes, I've been unlucky since a witch put a hex on me so it's
    wiser to take no chances. I haven't been able to make mayo for the last
    13 years. You're just lucky.

    >
    > N.



  13. #13
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On 4/12/2012 11:45 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > You've lost count. ;-)


    Dear sir(s),

    Thank you for your interest in this matter. Our accounting dept. is
    doing the research as we speak and rest assured that this will be
    resolved. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

    dsi1 corp.

    >
    > In key lime pie there is plenty of acid, sour cream, and sweetened condensed
    > milk, but it doesn't curdle, However if overbaked, it gets grainy. It will
    > almost set on it's own to a nice creamy texture due to the reaction of the
    > dairy with the acid.
    >
    > MartyB
    >
    >



  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:33:30 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Apr 11, 4:27*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    > > It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    > > with the sour cream in there. *The reason is because I no longer used
    > > flour to thicken it. *I just leave it as is without flour. *I like it
    > > better that way, but then it's important to just fold in the sour
    > > cream.
    > > This phenomenah is also verified in a cook book I have. *The recipe is
    > > for Chicken Paprkikash submitted by the 1972 Hungarian Culinary
    > > Olympics Team. *I made this recipe (I hardly ever follow recipes to
    > > the letter anymore) many years ago, and the sauce never broke. *Here
    > > is the relavent excerpt:
    > > {
    > > Blend together the flour and sour cream(3TBSP. and 1cup
    > > respectively). *Add to chicken mixture and simmer until chick is
    > > tender about 15 minutes more. *Add 1 cup whipping cream, return to
    > > good simmer and remove from heat.
    > >
    > >
    > > }

    >
    > I wonder if fat-free sour cream makes a difference? Calling all
    > cooking experts.........


    Sour cream never breaks on me, but I don't cook it as long as called
    for in that recipe. I cook the meat and then add sour cream which I
    never temper first. Fat free and full fat seem to work the same.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  15. #15
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:58:31 -1000, dsi1 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > My guess is that
    > you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    > boil it. 7482


    Cream (half & half/light cream) breaks when you add it to a liquid
    with an acid, like wine. Heavy (whipping) cream and full fat sour
    cream won't break due to the high fat content (or at least I think
    that was the explanation).

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  16. #16
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauceis simmered for a few minutes?

    On 4/12/2012 12:53 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:58:31 -1000, dsi1<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My guess is that
    >> you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    >> boil it. 7482

    >
    > Cream (half& half/light cream) breaks when you add it to a liquid
    > with an acid, like wine. Heavy (whipping) cream and full fat sour
    > cream won't break due to the high fat content (or at least I think
    > that was the explanation).
    >


    Thanks for the info. I will file that away in the deepest recesses of my
    brain for future reference.

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:01:12 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

    > On Apr 11, 5:08*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
    >>
    >>> It does. *I kept wondering why my Stroganoff breaks when I simmer it
    >>> with the sour cream in there.

    >>
    >> The sour cream goes in it end and is simply heated until warm, not
    >> simmered. *Why add flour to make it pastey? *it shouldn't be cooking
    >> that long.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > A T. or two of flour in 8 oz. or 16 oz. of sour cream isn't even
    > noticed.


    I disagree. Many (most) recipes call for dredging the meat in flour
    before searing. And that will add enough thickening power to the rest
    of the sauce.

    > I don't think commercial sour cream breaks, anyway...


    Daisy Sour Cream, for example, has just one ingredient: "Grade A Table
    Cream" (IIRC). Other off brands and store brands have 8 or 9
    ingredients including gums and stabilizers.

    -sw

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:52:13 -1000, dsi1
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 4/12/2012 12:53 PM, sf wrote:
    > > On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:58:31 -1000, dsi1<[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> My guess is that
    > >> you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    > >> boil it. 7482

    > >
    > > Cream (half& half/light cream) breaks when you add it to a liquid
    > > with an acid, like wine. Heavy (whipping) cream and full fat sour
    > > cream won't break due to the high fat content (or at least I think
    > > that was the explanation).
    > >

    >
    > Thanks for the info. I will file that away in the deepest recesses of my
    > brain for future reference.


    If you're anything like me, that's where it will stay until you don't
    need it and then it rises to the top.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  19. #19
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:45:27 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    > dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I would add flour to thicken and add the sour cream last - no boiling.
    >> That's just me. The guys that make the dish are experts on how to do
    >> it but I'd still do it my way because I'm no expert. My guess is that
    >> you're going to get curdling if there's acid in the the dish or if you
    >> boil it. 7482

    >
    > You've lost count. ;-)


    I need to do some recalculations. I never considered multiple uses of
    the words, "bet*", "guess*", "figur*" in the same post. This is going
    to be near impossible using the Google interface and search operators.

    How would you do, dsi? You're the google expert. How many times have
    you said the word "guess" on usenet? (without counting manually).
    What is the proper search phrase to calculate that using deja.com?

    What DO we call you, anyway? Dave? Donna? How about Doreen. Works
    for me.

    -sw

  20. #20
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Does flour help prevent sour cream from breaking when the sauce is simmered for a few minutes?

    dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 4/12/2012 11:45 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >
    >> You've lost count. ;-)

    >
    > Dear sir(s),
    >
    > Thank you for your interest in this matter. Our accounting dept. is
    > doing the research as we speak and rest assured that this will be
    > resolved. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further
    > questions.
    > dsi1 corp.


    Check with Julie. Someone may need to be fired. ;-)



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32