Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 109

Thread: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

  1. #41
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Do you know of a non-specialty (leaves out Whole Food$) grocery chain with
    > stores in all 50 states? Most are regional or subregional.
    >
    > ***************
    > Kroger. It goes under the guise of Ralph's on the west coast. Kroger has a
    > lot of stores under a lot of different names. I don't know if they're in
    > Hawaii or Alaska, so maybe only 48 states. But yes, they're everywhere.


    .... except New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia,
    and N. Carolina. Probably not New England or the SE states, but I'm
    too lazy to check.

    If there is a 50-state chain, it's probably Safeway.



  2. #42
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    "George M. Middius" wrote:
    >
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > > Do you know of a non-specialty (leaves out Whole Food$) grocery chain with
    > > stores in all 50 states? Most are regional or subregional.
    > >
    > > ***************
    > > Kroger. It goes under the guise of Ralph's on the west coast. Kroger has a
    > > lot of stores under a lot of different names. I don't know if they're in
    > > Hawaii or Alaska, so maybe only 48 states. But yes, they're everywhere.

    >
    > ... except New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia,
    > and N. Carolina. Probably not New England or the SE states, but I'm
    > too lazy to check.
    >
    > If there is a 50-state chain, it's probably Safeway.


    There is a Kroger here in Virginia. I don't bother to go there though.

    G.

  3. #43
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    "George M. Middius" wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Do you know of a non-specialty (leaves out Whole Food$) grocery chain with
    > stores in all 50 states? Most are regional or subregional.
    >
    > ***************
    > Kroger. It goes under the guise of Ralph's on the west coast. Kroger has
    > a
    > lot of stores under a lot of different names. I don't know if they're in
    > Hawaii or Alaska, so maybe only 48 states. But yes, they're everywhere.


    .... except New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia,
    and N. Carolina. Probably not New England or the SE states, but I'm
    too lazy to check.

    If there is a 50-state chain, it's probably Safeway.

    ****************
    No Safeway here (but that doesn't discount the entire state of S. Carolina).
    Within a 30 mile radius there is Publix, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly and
    Kroger. I'm deliberately not counting WalMart since I don't buy groceries
    there.

    Jill


  4. #44
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    Bryan wrote:
    >
    > To girl watch? We have a Schnuck's near here that's like that. I
    > know one guy who does most of his shopping elsewhere, but finds a
    > reason to go by there for a few items just to look at the women. And
    > no, that other guy isn't me.


    Grocery stores are prime hunting ground for single guys looking to meet up
    with single women. Been there, done that. You dress up nice and go grocery
    shopping around 7PM on a Friday or Saturday night.

    Surprisingly too, there are lots of hot women shopping at that time. These
    are the single women who have no boyfriend or date for the night. They
    don't want to sit home alone so they go grocery shopping. If they aren't
    wearing a ring, they are legal prey. heheh They are usually the "nicer"
    girls vs the ones that go out to bars.

    G.

  5. #45
    Earl Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    jmcquown wrote:
    > "George" wrote in message news:k44ebj$1kl$[email protected]..
    >
    > On 9/28/2012 10:50 AM, Kalmia wrote:
    >> On Sep 28, 4:45 am, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:
    >>> Andy <a...@b.c> wrote innews:[email protected]:
    >>> That's not a universal marketing ploy. Publix, possibly the most
    >>> successful and well run supermarket chain in the country, mandates that
    >>> all its stores be laid out exactly the same, so that when you walk
    >>> in to
    >>> one, whether it's in Florida or Georgia or wherever, you know exactly
    >>> where everything is.

    >>
    >> Aw, not so. A new Publix went up near me once and it was hardly a
    >> match to another I knew of. Having a different size lot to build on,
    >> I can see where they do have to change the layout. I can live with
    >> that, but it's the frequent rearranging that kills me.

    >
    >
    > And you will also see that in situations where one store buys out
    > another store. In my area one regional bought out another regional. The
    > one store had a different setup for the frozen food and deli (expensive
    > to reset) than the other which forces how other stuff is arranged. They
    > converted to the same color scheme and tried to make the stores look
    > like their others but they are different.
    > ******************
    > I think it was Albertson's that bought out the Memphis family store,
    > Seessel's. I needed some ground pork to make the crab & pork
    > dumplings for New Years Eve, 2000. The butcher said he wasn't
    > allowed to grind his own pork. He said the stupid Albertson's
    > management didn't trust butchers to clean the grinders between
    > different types of meat. He said you'll have to buy that (he pointed
    > off to the cold case) pre-packaged ground pork. I said, "Uh.... I
    > don't need that much. Maybe I'll just go to another store."
    >
    > He got indignant. Not towards me! He said, "I've been a butcher for
    > 20 years! I always clean the grinder between grinding meats. How much
    > ground pork do you need?" He printed out a label that didn't say it
    > was ground pork. Just "meat". So I could get it past the scanner at
    > checkout without his bosses knowing he'd ground something other than
    > beef. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. A butcher with 20 years experience,
    > they didn't trust to clean the grinder. He was really upset about
    > it. Lots of the employees who were sucked up in the takeover didn't
    > stick around. Albertson's didn't last long there.
    >
    > Jill
    > Jill

    So you were involved in fraud.

    10-4


  6. #46
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 07:50:41 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As to being well run, I found that the employees are afraid to make
    > waves. An employee suggestion plan would be unthought of, I bet.


    They're probably minimum wage, non-union workers who can be dismissed
    at will.

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  7. #47
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:06:00 -0400, George <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > And you will also see that in situations where one store buys out
    > another store. In my area one regional bought out another regional. The
    > one store had a different setup for the frozen food and deli (expensive
    > to reset) than the other which forces how other stuff is arranged. They
    > converted to the same color scheme and tried to make the stores look
    > like their others but they are different.


    I really don't care if different stores within the same chain are set
    up differently, what makes me crazy is the constant rearranging of the
    store I shop in the most.

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  8. #48
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:47:30 -0400, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > The butcher said he wasn't allowed to grind his own
    > pork. He said the stupid Albertson's management didn't trust butchers to
    > clean the grinders between different types of meat. He said you'll have to
    > buy that (he pointed off to the cold case) pre-packaged ground pork. I
    > said, "Uh.... I don't need that much. Maybe I'll just go to another store."
    >
    > He got indignant. Not towards me! He said, "I've been a butcher for 20
    > years! I always clean the grinder between grinding meats. How much ground
    > pork do you need?" He printed out a label that didn't say it was ground
    > pork. Just "meat". So I could get it past the scanner at checkout without
    > his bosses knowing he'd ground something other than beef. I AM NOT MAKING
    > THIS UP. A butcher with 20 years experience, they didn't trust to clean the
    > grinder. He was really upset about it. Lots of the employees who were
    > sucked up in the takeover didn't stick around. Albertson's didn't last long
    > there.


    I think that is the prevailing attitude at all corporate offices. I
    had a short conversation with a butcher at one of the nearby big chain
    groceries about grinding. He said they needed a separate grinder for
    each meat and grinding (let's say) pork in the beef grinder would get
    the offending butcher fired on the spot.

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  9. #49
    Alan Holbrook Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    The Other Guy <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:45:54 GMT, Alan Holbrook <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>That's not a universal marketing ploy. Publix, possibly the most
    >>successful and well run supermarket chain in the country,

    >
    > Is only in 5 out of 50 States, and none anywhere close to California.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > To reply by email, lose the Ks...
    >
    >


    True, but it's very successful in the 5 states it's in.

  10. #50
    Alan Holbrook Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote in news:1878d350-738b-45de-9b4d-
    [email protected]:

    > On Sep 28, 4:45*am, Alan Holbrook <no.tha...@lets.not> wrote:
    >> where everything is.

    >
    > Aw, not so. A new Publix went up near me once and it was hardly a
    > match to another I knew of. Having a different size lot to build on,
    > I can see where they do have to change the layout. I can live with
    > that, but it's the frequent rearranging that kills me.
    >
    > As to being well run, I found that the employees are afraid to make
    > waves. An employee suggestion plan would be unthought of, I bet.
    >


    I've been out of the south for a long time, so maybe things have changed.
    I know that when I lived in Florida, and my brother-in-law was in the
    middle of his 30 year career with Publix, when George Jenkins was still
    alive, the place was run almost as though it was an employee owned
    company, and employees were instnsely loyal.

    Back then, the choice was between Publix and Winn-Dixie, and most people
    who shopped Publix wouldn't be seen in a Winn-Dixie.

  11. #51
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    "Gary" wrote in message news:[email protected]..

    Bryan wrote:
    >
    > To girl watch? We have a Schnuck's near here that's like that. I
    > know one guy who does most of his shopping elsewhere, but finds a
    > reason to go by there for a few items just to look at the women. And
    > no, that other guy isn't me.


    Grocery stores are prime hunting ground for single guys looking to meet up
    with single women. Been there, done that. You dress up nice and go grocery
    shopping around 7PM on a Friday or Saturday night.

    Surprisingly too, there are lots of hot women shopping at that time. These
    are the single women who have no boyfriend or date for the night. They
    don't want to sit home alone so they go grocery shopping. If they aren't
    wearing a ring, they are legal prey. heheh They are usually the "nicer"
    girls vs the ones that go out to bars.

    G.
    *******************
    I remember hearing in the 1980's about one Kroger that actually had a
    "singles" night.

    IIRC they had a little area set up towards the back with snack food and soft
    drinks so people could mingle. I guess that's one way to get people into
    the store

    Jill


  12. #52
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    "Kalmia" wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    Agree - anyone at Publix reading this?
    I don't think it's fun at all to cruise the aisles either - I stick to
    my list
    and leave.

    Yeah - I remember the cheese shuffle. I once took the time to price
    per ounce of the Swiss and had to visit 3 locations. Annoy-ING.
    *********************

    Publix does have a nifty online shopping list feature. You can create and
    print a shopping list based on what is currently available in the store
    nearest you. You specify the store location, go to the weekly flier
    (flyer?) and create a printable shopping list. No, I don't work for Publix.
    LOL I just think it's a handy feature.

    Jill


  13. #53
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On 9/29/2012 6:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:

    > Publix does have a nifty online shopping list feature. You can create
    > and print a shopping list based on what is currently available in the
    > store nearest you. You specify the store location, go to the weekly
    > flier (flyer?) and create a printable shopping list. No, I don't work
    > for Publix. LOL I just think it's a handy feature.
    >


    It is handy, just click on what you want and you wind up with a
    printable list. I only really use it at this one local store, and
    if I had a nit to pick, they organize my choices under department
    headings and I don't care for that extra clutter.

    nancy

  14. #54
    pltrgyst Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On 9/28/12 8:48 PM, Earl wrote:

    > So you were involved in fraud.


    You'd have to be really, really stupid to think that.

    > 10-4

    I never liked Broderick Crawford, either.

    {plonk}

    -- Larry










  15. #55
    Cindy Fuller Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:


    > I remember hearing in the 1980's about one Kroger that actually had a
    > "singles" night.
    >
    > IIRC they had a little area set up towards the back with snack food and soft
    > drinks so people could mingle. I guess that's one way to get people into
    > the store
    >
    > Jill


    When I lived in Dallas many years ago, there was a large, predominantly
    singles apartment complex called The Village. The Tom Thumb grocery
    store near said complex was Pickup Central. Supposedly guys would hang
    around the produce area, looking pathetic in front of the broccoli,
    until a woman would come by. The guy would then ask, "How do I cook
    this?" We're not talking a very original opening line. I was always
    interested in getting in and out of the grocery store with all
    deliberate speed in those days. I used to shop at the crack of dawn or
    during Cowboys football games. You're guaranteed a short line in Dallas
    then.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  16. #56
    Cindy Fuller Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:06:00 -0400, George <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > And you will also see that in situations where one store buys out
    > > another store. In my area one regional bought out another regional. The
    > > one store had a different setup for the frozen food and deli (expensive
    > > to reset) than the other which forces how other stuff is arranged. They
    > > converted to the same color scheme and tried to make the stores look
    > > like their others but they are different.

    >
    > I really don't care if different stores within the same chain are set
    > up differently, what makes me crazy is the constant rearranging of the
    > store I shop in the most.


    The Harris Teeters in Greensboro were notorious for reconfiguring the
    stock every few weeks or so.

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  17. #57
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On 9/27/2012 5:53 AM, Andy wrote:
    > Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(
    >
    > After years of knowing my supermarket aisles by heart, this
    > morning they were rearranging all the aisles.
    >
    > I don't know if they're just getting started. I saw them
    > rearranging the cheese/butter/yogurt/cottage cheese cooler
    > shelves.
    >
    > They didn't rearrange the milk/cream coolers as it is a noted
    > back row "fixture"
    >
    > They also didn't separate the opposing chips and soda aisle.
    >
    > The moved the deli to the "sideline" aisle.
    >
    > With the addition of flowers and fruit baskets, etc., the
    > produce area aisles were severely altered. I was lost for
    > moment. More cramped twists and turns than ever.
    >
    > I cut my shopping a handful of items short.
    >
    > I asked one of the staff, "the old aisle pattern was so
    > logical, why change it?" He shrugged and said "that's what the
    > bosses want."
    >
    > I felt bad for the staff AND shoppers.
    >
    > [Sigh]
    >
    > Andy
    >


    The layout of the store is designed to have you going through all the
    aisles in an easy flowing manner with no traffic tie-ups. Everybody has
    areas in stores where they shop regularly that they rarely ever pass.
    It's likely that these dead zones are undesirable and one of the goals
    of the floor design is to minimize these areas.

    My suggestion is that you groove with the new design and try to
    understand why the store would go through the trouble of changing it. In
    this manner, you will learn about yourself and supermarket traffic-flow
    design strategies and human behavior.

    Alternatively, you could just see it as the store trying to stick it to
    their customers yet again. :-)



  18. #58
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:11:54 -0700, Cindy Fuller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I used to shop at the crack of dawn or
    > during Cowboys football games. You're guaranteed a short line in Dallas
    > then.


    Wish that worked for San Francisco. Stores are just as crowded during
    a Niners game as they are any other time... you couldn't get me up and
    shopping at the crack of dawn (even with a gun), but I did try grocery
    shopping at midnight once and that was a huge mistake. I waited in
    line for 45 minutes and had never seen the store so crowded.

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  19. #59
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On 9/29/2012 4:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:

    > I remember hearing in the 1980's about one Kroger that actually had a
    > "singles" night.
    >
    > IIRC they had a little area set up towards the back with snack food and
    > soft drinks so people could mingle. I guess that's one way to get
    > people into the store


    I have to wonder just how many of those singles were really single.



  20. #60
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Do the Supermarket Shuffle! :-(

    On 9/28/2012 9:53 AM, jmcquown wrote:

    > Kroger. It goes under the guise of Ralph's on the west coast. Kroger
    > has a lot of stores under a lot of different names. I don't know if
    > they're in Hawaii or Alaska, so maybe only 48 states. But yes, they're
    > everywhere.


    I only see their jewelry chains here in MD. I didn't even know they
    dealt in jewelry. I always shop at their stores when I vacation in the
    south. I think I still have a store loyalty card somewhere.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32